PDA

View Full Version : Please give feedback on squat

hellagrant
10-29-2008, 12:20 AM
I've been squatting for about a month. Right now I feel fairly confident that my form is good. Please take a look at these videos and let me know. I noticed that I am not going down as far as I should. Other than that I feel my form is decent.

CUhzA-Tyur4

7i9o3UWPjVs

ARO4CSpvttc

Painzer
10-29-2008, 07:51 AM
FOr whatever reason, your squats at 225 were the best, you could probably go a little bit lower on the other ones... Your form looks pretty good though.

Jorge Sanchez
10-29-2008, 10:07 AM
You look like you're coming up on your toes. Sit back further and really push your knees out to the side. You're also a little bit high, especially on the 245.

I'd also try to get a little bit tighter before you unrack the weight. Take a deep breath and hold it.

smalls
10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I would try to get down much further, but you already noticed that. You also need to start the movement at the hips, not the knees. Sit back on your heels more like jorge noted and you should be good.

BFGUITAR
10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Deeper for sure. Just about all of your squats were too high. Sit back more as well. All ya need is some more flexibility and your money.

Fuzzy
10-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Several things.

If you look at your standing position, your upper body is too far forward, stretch your hip flexors and stay more upright.

I don't think you were going on your toes at all.

I assume you are squatting for all round strength and muscular development, if so I advise you continue to squat as you are with more depth. The rest are advising you to sit back more... I disagree, you are breaking evenly with the hips and the knees. If you are not a competitive powerlifter I see no need for you to sit back and not allow the knees to move forward. Squat up, squat down.

If however you wish to only squat to parallel for power lifting... that's a different story.

It will help you immensely to invest in some heeled Olympic weightlifting shoes, they will make your depth far easier and allow you maintain a much more tight upright position.

Also, use a high bar position, it would be easier for this style of squatting.

hellagrant
10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedbacks.

Right now I will focus on dropping my butt lower to the floor. I probably won't increase the weight, in fact I might need to drop the weights in order to hit the floor, we will see. On the subject of sitting back more on my heels, since their are mix responses, I am going to continue to do what I am doing now. It may look like I am using my toes from the video, but I really don't feel that I am.

Ben Moore
10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Several things.

If you look at your standing position, your upper body is too far forward, stretch your hip flexors and stay more upright.

I don't think you were going on your toes at all.

I assume you are squatting for all round strength and muscular development, if so I advise you continue to squat as you are with more depth. The rest are advising you to sit back more... I disagree, you are breaking evenly with the hips and the knees. If you are not a competitive powerlifter I see no need for you to sit back and not allow the knees to move forward. Squat up, squat down.

If however you wish to only squat to parallel for power lifting... that's a different story.

It will help you immensely to invest in some heeled Olympic weightlifting shoes, they will make your depth far easier and allow you maintain a much more tight upright position.

Also, use a high bar position, it would be easier for this style of squatting.
Listen to this...

Daone
10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
I've been squatting for about a month. Right now I feel fairly confident that my form is good. Please take a look at these videos and let me know. I noticed that I am not going down as far as I should. Other than that I feel my form is decent.

I am not into powerlifting at all, but from a bodybuilding perspective your squats are right on point. You might want to drop a little lower and less bounce at the bottom, but other than that, your form is tight.

But again this is from a bodybuilding perspective...

Ben Moore
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I am not into powerlifting at all, but from a bodybuilding perspective your squats are right on point. You might want to drop a little lower and less bounce at the bottom, but other than that, your form is tight.

??? Even from a BB perspective, wouldn't you want a fuller range of motion?

Fuzzy
10-30-2008, 05:56 PM

??? Even from a BB perspective, wouldn't you want a fuller range of motion?

I think Daone was stating that the over all style was correct, but that the depth was lacking. I agree, the OP breaks evenly with the hips and the knees and looks like he is in a good position for a full squat, but obviously the depth was lacking.

Daone
10-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I think Daone was stating that the over all style was correct, but that the depth was lacking. I agree, the OP breaks evenly with the hips and the knees and looks like he is in a good position for a full squat, but obviously the depth was lacking.

Exactly, his form is tight just needs more depth and also no bounce he seemed to bounce somewhat and I believe there should be a slight pause at the bottom and then explode up from the pocket.