PDA

View Full Version : Need help with form...

Virtron
10-30-2008, 06:55 AM
I just want to make sure my form for the deadlift and good mornings is ok.

My Journal (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117026)

Heres the deadlift:
Deadlift (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ0O0qhKyhQ)

and the Good Mornings:
Good Mornings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCcCenFIRBU)

I'll appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

FFHill
10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I am by no means an expert, but it seems your hips are flying up at the start of your deadlift. You are close to doing a stiff legged dead lift by the time the bar moves. Keep your hips low and drive them through. Your good mornings look pretty good to me, just try to keep from bending at the knees much.

pert121
10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
no expert either, but gotta drop the hips down, initial movement is throught the legs and hips on the deadlift!

juggz
11-03-2008, 01:44 PM
good morning

Virtron
11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
good morning

huh?

Jorge Sanchez
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Deadlifts look okay to me. Try to keep the bar closer to your leg (it look like it drifts a bit on the second rep) and make sure to keep your back arched. It might be a good idea not to jerk so much when you start your pull -- it should be smoother.

GMs look really good to me.

CleverName
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
GM's need to stay much much much tighter.
Could use more knee bend.
More arch.
Your first rep you need to stand tall, your were bent over a bit.

Virtron
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
are you sure its ok to bend my knees. cause i thought i was supposed to do them without bending my knees at all.

CleverName
11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Bending knees is perfectly fine and practically required if you're gonna do enough weight, but it's not an excessive bend. You want to be at the bottom of the lift with your hamstrings on fire. Push your butt back on the way down, bend your knees a bit, get to the point of feeling it hard in your hamstrings, and come back up. Make sure to push your hips through, sort of shrug your shoulders, and keep your chest up.

Travis Bell
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
your hips are shooting up waaay to fast at the start of your deadlift. Keep those hips down

Virtron
11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
your hips are shooting up waaay to fast at the start of your deadlift. Keep those hips down

i'm not sure why but I find the weight heavier when i keep my hips lower... next wednesday i'm deadlifting again... i'll record that and posted. maybe i'll get it right.

Steven001
11-07-2008, 11:00 AM
i'm not sure why but I find the weight heavier when i keep my hips lower... next wednesday i'm deadlifting again... i'll record that and posted. maybe i'll get it right.

It does feel a lot heavier! I used to deadlift with almost the exact form you're using - back almost parallel to the ground. I was told (on here) to get my hips way down, as if doing a reverse hack squat - that's what I think it is anyway - and it is much more difficult! I tend to do summo deadlifts, because it's easier to get the hips lower.

Ben Moore
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Your quad strength is probably your weakness. Keep trying to get the hips lower and possible add in front squats or zerchers to bring up your quads.

Brad08
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Why are you pulling sumo? What are your goals?

pert121
11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
As others have stated, it is harder to squat with your hips lower, but if you watfch your video, your almost jerking the weight up with your initial movement like your trying to get momentum and then pulling with all lower back, when the weight gets heavier your either going to pull something like a bicep or a pec or hurt your low back, legs and hips first, then straighten out. Once your hips fire its all one motion just like your standing up!

Nosaj
11-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree with everyone else, hips down, pull with your posterior chain first. You're almost RDL'ing the weight up because you're standing up significantly before the weight even starts to move, stay low throughout until the legs are extended THEN use the back to pull the rest of the way up.

Virtron
11-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Quads you say hmm? All right... I'll take all this into consideration. Thanks all. This coming up wednesday I go for 270x2.