PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifters near NE philadelphia, pennsylvania

brihead301
10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I've been training by myself for years now. There are no "powerlifting gyms" that I'm able to find near me. Luckily I have a gym that somewhat resembles an actual place of training as opposed to a p***y health club place, but it's still not a powerlifting gym.

Basically, I'm looking to start training with some real powerlifters with some real equipment.

Is there anyone near Philadelphia PA? Or does anyone know how I would go about finding someone near me?

bigmoney
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

brihead301
10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I've already checked. The one gym that that place references near me is not a powerlifting gym. It's just your average health club place. I do love that site though.

Actually, after looking at some pictures of "body world fitness", it does have some nice looking power racks there, but it still looks like a typical health club. I'm looking for a hardcore, smelly, cold, dungeon-like gym where Pantera is blasting 24/7. Ya know what I mean?

bigmoney
10-30-2008, 11:54 AM
go to www.elitefts.com and go to the Q/A and make a post about you looking for a gym in Philly. You will get a response.

brihead301
10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
cool thanks.

CMAND21
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Try Underground Gym in either Ambler or Flourtown I'm not sure which. Also there is IronSport in Glenolden. I have not been to either but did meet so real decent guys from each place at an event a couple of weeks ago. I will be going to Underground in Dec. when I start preparing for my next comp. For now I'm stuck at the Y in Media. The plus there is child care.

brihead301
10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice!!! I'll look into those. Thanks.

Tom Mutaffis
10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Iron Sport Gym is one of the best in the country... www.ironsport.com

I have trained there and they have some great powerlifters, great equipment, and the owner is a Pro Highland Games Athlete.

brihead301
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Damn, all these gyms are like minimum 1 hour away from where I live. I'd have to fight traffic, plus drive at least an hour each way!!! Balls. I gotta move.

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Iron Sport is a great gym. Don't be a baby. I drove 2 hours one way to train at Southside every Friday before I moved down to CT. If you want to train at a great gym, you have to make sacrifices. If not, don't cry about it.

KarstenDD
10-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I drive minimum 45 minutes one way to Southside every Friday. That's an hour and a half total if the traffic is light, and it usually isn't. Driving isn't hard, you just have to do it.

Kiknskreem
10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Try Underground Gym in either Ambler or Flourtown I'm not sure which. Also there is IronSport in Glenolden. I have not been to either but did meet so real decent guys from each place at an event a couple of weeks ago. I will be going to Underground in Dec. when I start preparing for my next comp. For now I'm stuck at the Y in Media. The plus there is child care.

LISTEN TO THIS GUY.

I have trained at both these gyms, both are good places for PL'ers. The Underground is more of a key club, its not a gym gym, its smaller and has less equipment but there is enough to get by. Its not open all the time like a real gym, and the hours available are very constricting. That ultimately led to my stopping training there. Joe Braca is a really good guy. Its 40 bucks a month which is kinda steep considering the constrains upon when you can lift.

Really if you can make it to IronSport that is where I would recommend 100%.It is on an entirely different level than the underground... it has almost everything a PL'er, Oly, or Strongman could want. Its a ton bigger than the Underground, lots more equipment, normal hours. Its also cheaper.

Damn, all these gyms are like minimum 1 hour away from where I live. I'd have to fight traffic, plus drive at least an hour each way!!! Balls. I gotta move.

With traffic it takes me 40min to get to IronSport, and I'm only like ten miles away. Its definitely worth it.

SoreFoot8343
10-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Shawn Lattimer isn't too far from PHilly? I know he personally trains people and I"m sure he might know a gym around your area?

brihead301
10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Iron Sport is a great gym. Don't be a baby. I drove 2 hours one way to train at Southside every Friday before I moved down to CT. If you want to train at a great gym, you have to make sacrifices. If not, don't cry about it.

I love your no BS advice. That's why I want to go to a REAL gym. These dudes will mold me from the wad of cookie dough I am into a pile of brick.

Did you only drive the 2 hours on Fridays? What did you do for your other training days?

I'm seriously considering checking this place out.

brihead301
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Shawn Lattimer isn't too far from PHilly? I know he personally trains people and I"m sure he might know a gym around your area?

Do you know how I would get a hold of him?

SoreFoot8343
10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
he's got a his own website.. www.shawnlattimer.com he has a link to e-mail in there somehwere.

chris mason
10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
He also posts on www.fortified-iron.com quite a bit.

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 08:35 PM
I love your no BS advice. That's why I want to go to a REAL gym. These dudes will mold me from the wad of cookie dough I am into a pile of brick.

Did you only drive the 2 hours on Fridays? What did you do for your other training days?

I'm seriously considering checking this place out.

Long story. I lived in Springfield, MA. I got a job in Greenwich, Ct. 2 1/2 hours away. Before I moved (about 4 months, even longer story) I drove to Greenwich 5x a week. On Friday, my day off, I drove 2 hours to Stratford to train with Vincent. On Saturdays, I was lucky enough to have a Monolift at a local gym. I trained one other day during the week and did it wherever I could get the work done.

Vincent used to train wit hBill Crawford in Glens Falls, NY. 3 hours from Stratford. He drove up there every Saturday to train with Crawford. On Wednesdays, he drove 2 hours to Springfield to train with Glen Chabot. 10 hours a week just to train.

We have guys at Southside that come from all over. At one time we had a guy coming from Norwich (1 hour, no traffic), Bristol (about 50 minutes, no traffic), I come from Greenwich now, (30 minutes, no traffic 1-1 1/2 with traffic). There are more guy s that drive to train. When you find a place, take advantage of it.

I chose to sacrifice my Friday nights and gas money so I could train with the best. It wasn't a sacrifice for me. It was what I wanted to do and it seemed like the most logical thing to do. So, I did it.

You won't regret Iron Sport. Plus, I know one of the desk girls. She's a definate MILF.

Kiknskreem
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM
You won't regret Iron Sport. Plus, I know one of the desk girls. She's a definate MILF.

Haha, are you talking about the newish woman?

TNDeadlifter
10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Tom Eismean lives in the suburb of of Philly in Medford Lakes, NJ. He trains at a health club type place but he seems to make it work hitting over 600 pound pulls for over 5 reps. I know he works out on his lunch hour, so it must be right in Philly somewhere.

brihead301
10-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks fellas. I'm going to go to ironsport!!

Barbaccio
10-31-2008, 06:11 AM
More than welcome to come train with us. I meet up with some guys from Philly and drive down to Maryland (about an hour) every Saturday to squat with some of the best around. Matt Wilson leads the Dynamo Barbell crew. We squat every Saturday at 9am.

Benchwise, I train with Lattimer on Tuesday's at 5:30pm. He is right off Exit 18 on 295.

Give me a call if you're interested in either. 856-266-5452

brihead301
11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks Barbaccio. I will put your number in my phone. I may come train with you so I can see what it's like training with real powerlifters. Training alone has it's benefits, but I'll never know what it's like to train with seriously strong people.

RhodeHouse
11-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Haha, are you talking about the newish woman?

Newish? Yes, she is new there as of late.

RhodeHouse
11-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks Barbaccio. I will put your number in my phone. I may come train with you so I can see what it's like training with real powerlifters. Training alone has it's benefits, but I'll never know what it's like to train with seriously strong people.

There is no benefit to training alone.

I know Tone (Barbaccio). He's a big, strong dude. He just totalled 2400. You definately wanna get with him for training. Just don't make fun of him. He's very sensitive.

brihead301
11-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Lol, okay I'll go easy on him then since you said so.

Barbaccio
11-03-2008, 11:35 AM
LOL FU Rhodes. I knew that day would haunt me hahah. All worth every bit of it.