PDA

View Full Version : Any other lifting couples?

Guido
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
My wife and I have been powerlifting together for a few years now. I got the bug first and she sort of reluctantly joined along after I convinced her to try it. Well, one meet and she was hooked. We lift together as training partners and push each other to do well - in the gym AND in the kitchen! I've heard of a few other husband/wife couples that lift and compete. Are there any on here? Anyone who's significant other is an into it as they are?

brihead301
10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I tried to get my ex girlfriend to train with me, but she just wouldn't do it. Now, I'm not saying that's the reason why we're not together anymore, but that thought has crossed my mind. I'm an a**hole.

Buccos1
10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
My girlfriend worked out a lot when I met her but it was mainly cardio-type stuff. Now, I have her trying to get her bench #s up and trying to get the proper set up on the bench. She's now constantly trying to up her BP, curl and squat numbers. I am trying to teach her how to deadlift, but it hasn't taken yet.

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
I've taken my GF to the gym a few times. She likes watching me squat (something about the grunting turns her on, apparently) but she doesn't like to do much except pull ups.

Guido
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
I've taken my GF to the gym a few times. She likes watching me squat (something about the grunting turns her on, apparently) but she doesn't like to do much except pull ups.Any woman who can do pullups is hardcore, IMO. Lynn can almost do 10 of them now whereas a year ago she could barely do 1.

Guido
10-30-2008, 02:45 PM
My girlfriend worked out a lot when I met her but it was mainly cardio-type stuff. Now, I have her trying to get her bench #s up and trying to get the proper set up on the bench. She's now constantly trying to up her BP, curl and squat numbers. I am trying to teach her how to deadlift, but it hasn't taken yet.It's awesome that she's squatting. It took a while to get my wife to start deadlifting. She was reluctant at first, but it soom became her best and favorite lift. She's got some state and american records in her class in the DL, now.

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Beyond the first rep (and maybe even for the first rep -- I can't remember) she needs me to hold her feet. I'm sure if she stuck with it she could bang out a few since she's tiny.

Buccos1
10-30-2008, 02:58 PM
It's awesome that she's squatting. It took a while to get my wife to start deadlifting. She was reluctant at first, but it soom became her best and favorite lift. She's got some state and american records in her class in the DL, now.

Yeah, she gets fired up for them too. It's cool having that to talk about every week.

Pete22
10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I told my ex-GF that she had the hips and butt for squatting and deadlifting... her response, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" Oh well, I tried.

fulldaddy
10-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I told my ex-GF that she had the hips and butt for squatting and deadlifting... her response, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" Oh well, I tried.

:) That's awesome - it is all in the delivery. I met my wife at the gym and from time to time we work out together. The majority of people who frequent the boards here have all had relationships where the other couldn't understand the passion for training. If you have someone that supports you - that is great. If you have someone that shares your passion AND you support eachother - you are very lucky.

I'm STILL trying to get over my wife allowing me to turn our downstairs into a gym. I'll have to post pictures of my gym with a fire place - ridiculous.

SELK
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I train with my girlfriend and have for the past few years. She lifts off all my benches, spots me on other stuff too.

We do seperate meets most of the time though, just less stress in the end we have found..

Bergs
10-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I uhh... work out Royce some times.

Guido
10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
I uhh... work out Royce some times.Dave, that is just wrong. Royce and Charles do make a great couple, though, don't they?

Reko
10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
The majority of people who frequent the boards here have all had relationships where the other couldn't understand the passion for training. If you have someone that supports you - that is great. If you have someone that shares your passion AND you support eachother - you are very lucky.

I've had both ends of the spectrum, definately makes a huge difference when your hobbies/lifestyle/addiction are supported vs when they aren't.

PriestCometh
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Me and my wife lift together. She pulled 352@132 at her last meet. Shes gonna try 380+ at WABDL worlds next month.
Then the goal is 400+ at the fit expo in january for her. We dont see eye to eye in training. Both of us are very intense lifters. So, it is an interesting workout to watch. lol

Ben Moore
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
I've had both ends of the spectrum, definately makes a huge difference when your hobbies/lifestyle/addiction are supported vs when they aren't.

It's a good thing you and Gable found each other...

Reko
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Gotta have someone to push you..................................... and spot you...................

yea.. I am going to go intentionally get banned so I don't have to see stuff like this anymore lol.

Guido
10-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Me and my wife lift together. She pulled 352@132 at her last meet. Shes gonna try 380+ at WABDL worlds next month.
Then the goal is 400+ at the fit expo in january for her. We dont see eye to eye in training. Both of us are very intense lifters. So, it is an interesting workout to watch. lolThat's awesome. My wife is also a 132 lifter. She's pulled 340 in just a belt. I'm going to get her a nice DL suit for Christmas and then we'll see how she does. I think 400 is in the near future.

CrazyK
10-31-2008, 04:15 PM
My "type" wouldn't touch a weight lol. I like the soft, girly-girl types :clown:

vdizenzo
10-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Rhodes and I must count. I'm the man in the relationship.

Gable
10-31-2008, 09:37 PM

Damn... glad I read something besides the "Reko general chat thread/forum" ...

Eric Downey
10-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Your cheating on Wolfe. Wait till he finds out.

WillNoble
10-31-2008, 10:01 PM

why does this not surprise me?

Travis Bell
10-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Your cheating on Wolfe. Wait till he finds out.

no, thats Nick Winters you're thinking of

liquidfire
11-01-2008, 01:07 AM
my gf is a lazy ass hahaha

she has never been to the gym with me... maybe never in her life :p