PDA

View Full Version : Squat Help

Illinimeats
10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Guys I need some help. My squat total is pathetic and this next year I want to work on it, get my numbers up, and enter in a full meet rather than push pull. Besides general weakness, I think my form is really bad. I put the bar across my shoulders where it sits naturally; back of my neck and accross my delts. I try to keep my head up and my back straight. My feet are pointed outward, a little wider than shoulder width. During the lift, I seem to rock forward coming out of the hole and push more off my toes, rather than my heels or the whole foot. I feel that I fight to maintain balance rather than pushing the weight. I would love some personal one on one training for an afternoon, but will take any advice I can get. I live in Lexington, KY and I am willing to do some reasonable traveling to get some pointers.

Thanks,
Illinimeats

Andre518
10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Guys I need some help. My squat total is pathetic and this next year I want to work on it, get my numbers up, and enter in a full meet rather than push pull. Besides general weakness, I think my form is really bad. I put the bar across my shoulders where it sits naturally; back of my neck and accross my delts. I try to keep my head up and my back straight. My feet are pointed outward, a little wider than shoulder width. During the lift, I seem to rock forward coming out of the hole and push more off my toes, rather than my heels or the whole foot. I feel that I fight to maintain balance rather than pushing the weight. I would love some personal one on one training for an afternoon, but will take any advice I can get. I live in Lexington, KY and I am willing to do some reasonable traveling to get some pointers.

Thanks,
Illinimeats

I used to have the same problem its starting to get better. Place the bar lower off your neck there is a little sweet spot that the bar will sit and you wont feel the weight as much. When the bar is so high on your neck and delts it makes you top heavy and you lean forward and use more of your lower back. I hope this helps a bit. Believe me it took months to get it right Im just starting to get the hang of it but my numbers are starting to go up. Good luck!

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2008, 02:42 PM
It sounds like it could be the result of hamstring inflexibility. Or it could simply be a form issue.

Check out Sensei's Squat Rx videos on youtube.

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Go to EliteFTS and ask Jim how to get in touch with Jason Adams. I'm pretty sure he lives in Lexington. Tell Jim Rhodes sent you.

WillNoble
10-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks,
Illinimeats

If you are in Lexington, go to Lexington Athletic Club on Nicholasville Rd. and ask for Jim Laird, he is a trainer there and an Elite class lifter and former PLUSA world top 10 at 242lbs. he is an excellent source to reference. Tell him I sent you.

Us Lexvegas folks gotta stick together

Illinimeats
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will get ahold of those individuals for help.

Illinimeats