PDA

View Full Version : My Front Squat PR!

MPB
10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Front squatting 315 for multiple sets & reps has been one of the goals I was chasing after, and I finally got it today. I did these three sets after setting a new deadlift personal record of 470 lb. Unfortunately I don't have a video for that b/c I don't take videos of my max effort attempts... it just messes with my head. I took these three videos all taken from different angles so Sensei can critique my form... :evillaugh:

45, 45, 35, 5 lbs plates are on each side, the bar itself weighs 55 pounds. I don't know why but it just is. It's extremely thick, and dense. This thing is INDESTRUCTIBLE I tell you!

1st set (315x5) -
czJpFanyk4A

2nd set (315x5) -
You can see my depth better with this video
hnD2CTeHTbI

3rd set (315x5) -
I was getting tired, so my form got kinda sloppy
PYSH4TNza2w

Oh, and I want to say Thank You! to CleverName for helping me pick what size Olympic weightlifting shoes to get. It's really great to have someone that has the same body structure as I do. :hello:

Painzer
10-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Very impressive!

MPB
10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Very impressive!

Thank you!

CleverName
10-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Damn your unfathomable strength. :swear: Your lifting and form is fantastic. Definitely got it where it counts. Knees tend to wobble on your front squat, and as far as I know (maybe Sensei could correct me on this), but you want to be pushing your knees outward when going up.

Glad the shoes fit; they look nice and sturdy for you.

MPB
10-30-2008, 11:20 PM
I was waiting for you to reply! Yea, it seems like I have a problem with my knees. I'll try to keep that in mind (pushing outward) next time when I squat.

jAy_Dub
10-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again, you have some awesome genetics that will take you far if you put the work in, and obviously you are. Impressive as hell man.

Daone
10-31-2008, 08:24 AM
One strong Mo-Fo but on the second video you are bouncing too much at the bottom, you are going to destroy your knees over time if you keep lifting in that manner.

Jorge Sanchez
10-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Awesome squats, dude. I'd echo the comment about the knees but other than that, that is an amazing lift.

kevowamo
10-31-2008, 09:01 AM
nice work. love me some front squattin, only lighter! haha keep it up!

Ben Moore
10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
One strong Mo-Fo but on the second video you are bouncing too much at the bottom, you are going to destroy your knees over time if you keep lifting in that manner.

Really? There are thousands of olympic lifters that would disagree with you.

View 1
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Great front squating bro...

MPB
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again, you have some awesome genetics that will take you far if you put the work in, and obviously you are. Impressive as hell man.
Thanks for your kind words, Jay!

Awesome squats, dude. I'd echo the comment about the knees but other than that, that is an amazing lift.
Thank you guys. I knew a comment like that would pop up about my knees. This is how I have been squatting ever since I started lifting weights (Jun 06, so about two and a half years now) and I've never ever had a problem with my knees, or any other part of my body. Fuzzy would also agree with me that this is a perfectly okay way to squat.

nice work. love me some front squattin, only lighter! haha keep it up!

Great front squating bro...
Thanks a lot! :hello:

Jorge Sanchez
10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
I didn't so much mean the bounce as the wobble. It's not so much that I think it's bad for your knees (although, it's probably not great) as I think you could push more weight with a little form work.

But like I said, I can't take anything away from those lifts. I certainly couldn't do it. Nice stuff!!

MPB
10-31-2008, 12:49 PM
I didn't so much mean the bounce as the wobble. It's not so much that I think it's bad for your knees (although, it's probably not great) as I think you could push more weight with a little form work.

But like I said, I can't take anything away from those lifts. I certainly couldn't do it. Nice stuff!!
Other than my knees wobbling, do you have advice what other areas I need to work on?

Daone
10-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Yeah thosands of lifters who are on the juice, and have thier own personal docs,.

All I am saying as a drug free lifter, he should be a little more careful about his knees if he wants to continue lifting for years to come.

Fuzzy is only 16 years old man.....

Daone
10-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you guys. I knew a comment like that would pop up about my knees. This is how I have been squatting ever since I started lifting weights (Jun 06, so about two and a half years now) and I've never ever had a problem with my knees, or any other part of my body. Fuzzy would also agree with me that this is a perfectly okay way to squat.

Two years of squatting is nothing man, think about 10, 15, 20 years of squatting....Just saying

deeder
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM

Really? Thousands of oly lifters who ended their careers with knee injuries would disagree with you.

See, I can make up stats too!

WORLD
10-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like his knees come in towards each other on his way up. Other than that, very impressive. Good work. Looks like a nice little set up there as well.

Jorge Sanchez
10-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Other than my knees wobbling, do you have advice what other areas I need to work on?

I've got nothing. You're super stable, tight and planted. I'm no expert, but I don't think there's too much room for improvement there.

MPB
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like his knees come in towards each other on his way up. Other than that, very impressive. Good work. Looks like a nice little set up there as well.

Thanks. It's a small community center that's about 15 minutes away (on a bicycle) from where I live. Nobody really goes there except some of my friends, so I can blast any music I want, and I don't have to deal with stupid people. I prefer lifting by myself so I really like it.

MNRob
10-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Very impressive sir! Only thing I can think of for helping with your little bit and I stress little bit, of knee wobble is just concentrate on pushing your knees out as you go down and up, works wonders for me.

Again, very impressive strength.

MPB
10-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Very impressive sir! Only thing I can think of for helping with your little bit and I stress little bit, of knee wobble is just concentrate on pushing your knees out as you go down and up, works wonders for me.

Again, very impressive strength.
Thank you sir! I wasn't really aware of that I had to push my knees outward. I've been just squatting up and down and let my body dictate the movement.

Guido
10-31-2008, 03:08 PM
That's a very good front squat. I've only recently started front squatting and am working on getting up to 315. Right now I'm probably good for abour 295-300. You clearly are built for squatting (being 5'5 helps). Nice work.

MPB
10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
That's a very good front squat. I've only recently started front squatting and am working on getting up to 315. Right now I'm probably good for abour 295-300. You clearly are built for squatting (being 5'5 helps). Nice work.

Thanks Guido! One problem I have is that my back squat is piss poor compared to my front squat. Not sure if my body is more suited for front squatting, but I need to work on my back squat more.

Ben Moore
10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Really? Thousands of oly lifters who ended their careers with knee injuries would disagree with you.

I'm sorry, was I talking to you?

WORLD
10-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks. It's a small community center that's about 15 minutes away (on a bicycle) from where I live. Nobody really goes there except some of my friends, so I can blast any music I want, and I don't have to deal with stupid people. I prefer lifting by myself so I really like it.

Thats really cool. I went to a public gym today and what pissed me off the most? Yup, stupid people.

I saw that some others are talking about your knees and pushing them out. I try and "spread the floor" by pushing my weight to the outside of my shoes, and at the same time keeping my knees pushing outwards. I notice when I start letting my knees drift in, it throws off my entire squat and I lose concentration.

Other than that, like everyone else said, great form. You make it look easy!

Jorge Sanchez
10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Guido! One problem I have is that my back squat is piss poor compared to my front squat. Not sure if my body is more suited for front squatting, but I need to work on my back squat more.

One of the reasons your back squat might not be higher is because you're not getting enough hips/hams/glutes into it. You mentioned you just let your body drop down and squat, which is fine. But the best way to get real power out of the back squat is to really sit back into it (like a powerlifter) and use your posterior chain.

deeder
10-31-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry, was I talking to you?

Probably not, but when people spout off bull**** I tend to speak up.

Ben Moore
10-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Probably not, but when people spout off bull**** I tend to speak up.

Pray tell, what in my post was bull****? Fill me in o keeper of the truth...

MPB
10-31-2008, 11:14 PM
What's funny is one would think that weightlifting shoes make you lean forward b/c their heels are raised, but it's actually the opposite. Sometimes I had a tendency to lean forward, causing my shoulders to drop a little (and rounding of the back) when I used to grind out my last rep. But olympic weightlifting shoes completely eliminated this problem for me. I can actually push harder with my heels.

deeder
11-01-2008, 12:34 AM

No, I'll let you continue being a pompous ignorant jackass. It's all cool with me.

What's funny is one would think that weightlifting shoes make you lean forward b/c their heels are raised, but it's actually the opposite. Sometimes I had a tendency to lean forward, causing my shoulders to drop a little (and rounding of the back) when I used to grind out my last rep. But olympic weightlifting shoes completely eliminated this problem for me. I can actually push harder with my heels.

Yup, it's kind of counter-intuitive, but oly shoes have the same effect with me. I am able to stay more upright with less knee travel.

liquidfire
11-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Sick front squats bro your squat is perferct. Gotta stop bouncing in the hole though, my bro tore up his knee bouncing like that... he was out for like 3 years man and had to have surgery.

Ben Moore
11-01-2008, 07:35 AM
No, I'll let you continue being a pompous ignorant jackass. It's all cool with me.

I'm sorry, did I piss you off at some point? I don't remember calling you names, but I could be wrong. Where did we get off on the wrong foot? Keep hiding behind that keyboard big man...

pert121
11-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Nice job man, we can always have better form, and that will come with time, and just as you stated yourself in this thread you learned something new, so you can apply it and it will help you downthe road.
Great strength, good explosion at the bottom and you controlled the weight!! Well done Sir.

pert121
11-01-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry, did I piss you off at some point? I don't remember calling you names, but I could be wrong. Where did we get off on the wrong foot? Keep hiding behind that keyboard big man...

Why not take your discussion between the two of you to another thread or PM, dont take hijack mightypitbull's thread of his accomplishment...

WillNoble
11-01-2008, 08:39 AM

still waiting for a response on this one Deeder... what was bulls**t about his statement?

MPB
11-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Nice job man, we can always have better form, and that will come with time, and just as you stated yourself in this thread you learned something new, so you can apply it and it will help you downthe road.
Great strength, good explosion at the bottom and you controlled the weight!! Well done Sir.

Thanks a lot! It takes a some time for me to apply something new but I know it's definitely going to help me in the long run.

deeder
11-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Was I talking to you? <-- ring a bell? That's pretty insulting.

It's an open forum and people are allowed to disagree with you like it or not.

still waiting for a response on this one Deeder... what was bulls**t about his statement?

The fact that bouncing out of the hole isn't bad for your knees. Has he met thousands of lifters who bounce out of the hole like that and have no knee problems? My point was, it's fine to say something, but backing it up with some crap like "thousands of lifters". Why not actually learn something, find a study on it, see what the scientific results are then come give some info.

Or, you can do what he did and just leave it to bro-tology. And like I said, I can make up stats too.

In fact, 36.4% of people can.

Now I am done with this thread, sorry MP for hijacking it. If the goon squad wants they can PM me to continue this discussion.

WillNoble
11-01-2008, 09:43 AM
The fact that bouncing out of the hole isn't bad for your knees. Has he met thousands of lifters who bounce out of the hole like that and have no knee problems? My point was, it's fine to say something, but backing it up with some crap like "thousands of lifters". Why not actually learn something, find a study on it, see what the scientific results are then come give some info.

Or, you can do what he did and just leave it to bro-tology. And like I said, I can make up stats too.

In fact, 36.4% of people can.

Sweet I love "Bro-Science"

A quick (less than 5min) survey of pub med yielded this gem, which seems to back up Ben's statements:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16558570?ordinalpos=12&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Human Performance Laboratories, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN.

OBJECTIVE: To determine injury types, natures, anatomical locations, recommended amount of time missed, and injury rates during weightlifting training. DESIGN AND SETTING: We collected and analyzed medical injury records of resident athletes and during numerous training camps to generate an injury profile. SUBJECTS: Elite US male weightlifters who were injured during training at the United States Olympic Training Centers. MEASUREMENTS: United States Olympic Training Center weightlifting injury reports from a 6-year period were analyzed. Data were expressed as percentages and were analyzed via x(2) tests. RESULTS: The back (primarily low back), knees, and shoulders accounted for the most significant number of injuries (64.8%). The types of injuries most prevalent in this study were strains and tendinitis (68.9%). Injuries of acute (59.6%) or chronic (30.4%) nature were significantly more common than recurrent injuries and complications. The recommended number of training days missed for most injuries was 1 day or fewer (90.5%). Injuries to the back primarily consisted of strains (74.6%). Most knee injuries were tendinitis (85.0%). The majority of shoulder injuries were classified as strains (54.6%). Rates of acute and recurring injuries were calculated to be 3.3 injuries/1000 hours of weightlifting exposure. CONCLUSIONS: The injuries typical of elite weightlifters are primarily overuse injuries, not traumatic injuries compromising joint integrity. These injury pattens and rates are similar to those reported for other sports and activities.

:hello: Have a nice day Deeder

cphafner
11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Why not take your discussion between the two of you to another thread or PM, dont take hijack mightypitbull's thread of his accomplishment...

I agree.

Any further posts on this topic will be deleted.

Chris Rodgers
11-01-2008, 03:19 PM
That's a damn strong front squat! Good work.

MPB
11-01-2008, 03:28 PM
That's a damn strong front squat! Good work.

Thank you, Chris. That means A LOT coming from you!

Ben Moore
11-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Thank you, Chris. That means A LOT coming from you!

Didn't mean for the thread to get hijacked.

That's a great front squat man! My best when I was doing strongman was 405x2 and they didn't look near that pretty!

MPB
11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Didn't mean for the thread to get hijacked

Thank you Ben!

I thought you guys' argument was pretty interesting (in a good way) anyway, so don't worry about it!

MPB
11-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Here is my front squat attempt with 325 lbs from today's work. I got 5, 4, and 4 reps for my three sets. I wanted to get videos for all 3 sets but I ran out of memory.

I'm not sure if my form is getting better. I tried to focus on pushing my knees and feet outward, but I was just thinking too much about my knees it kind of screwed up my last rep. I got it anyway, but it really wasn't fun.

1st set (325x5, bar = 55 lbs)
8Km2tWZKYGg

Chris Rodgers
11-06-2008, 07:46 PM
That's some straight nasty strength right there! I think most people would have dumped that 5th rep. Way to fight through it!

MPB
11-06-2008, 08:31 PM
That's some straight nasty strength right there! I think most people would have dumped that 5th rep. Way to fight through it!
Thank you CR! It kind of surprised me a little b/c my 4th rep felt okay, and then I got stuck on the way up for the 5th one. I felt my body going down but I somehow managed to get it.

chris mason
11-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Very strong! Nice work!

MPB
11-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Thank you Mr. Mason! I appreciate it.

Painzer
11-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Seriously impressive dude. nice work, especially on that 5th rep.

MPB
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Seriously impressive dude. nice work, especially on that 5th rep.

Thanks! I'm usually very confident when I front squat. I may stop 1~2 reps short if I feel like it's too much to continue, but I never get stuck at the bottom. This was a close call.

samj
11-08-2008, 05:10 PM
great front squatting mightypitbull, i have just started these and loving them, getting better each time i do them now there really a movement to get used to

MPB
11-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks samj. I love front squatting much more than back squatting b/c it feels more natural, and I find it easier (less straining) to hold the bar on my shoulders.

Fuzzy
11-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Yeah... because PL squatting is soooo therapeutic. Oly lifters with injured knees get that from under pulling and not extending and crashing into the bottom of a clean or snatch. Not from the style of squat itself.

Anyway.... Great squatting OP, you may find it easier to not lose form if you try a clean grip.

This doesn't mean you have to choke the bar, rest it on the delts with as little as two finger tips just hooked under. It makes it easier to drive the elbows upwards when you begin to fatigue.

samadhi_smiles
11-08-2008, 08:44 PM
totally inspiring

MPB
11-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Fuzz I'm used to doing my arms crossed so it's easier for me to push my elbows up that way, but I plan on switching over to the clean grip after I get used to it more.

Samadhi, thanks a lot :)

Guido
11-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Guido! One problem I have is that my back squat is piss poor compared to my front squat. Not sure if my body is more suited for front squatting, but I need to work on my back squat more.I'm sure the discrepancy has more to do with how often you do it. BTW, if your back squat goes up, so shoiuld your deadlift, so perhaps that's more incentive to back squat more. At any rate, it's great to have both types of squatting in your arsenal.

Nice job with the 325's. How long did it take you to work up to that?

MPB
11-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks Guido. I dedicate one day to heavy front squatting and another day to back squatting. I think that might have to do with it also b/c my legs are really never fresh on the day when I back squat. I'm going try Wendler's 5/3/1 and Smolov after thanksgiving so I think that might help.

To answer your question, it took me about two years.

Mugen46
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
EXTREMELY strong. Very impressive.

fpr
11-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey man, first off, great lifting.

Nobody has mentioned this so I may be wrong -- isn't it "bad form" when your knees pass beyond your toes, or is this only for back squats (or neither)? I see this most clearly in your side view vid.

MPB
11-16-2008, 12:46 AM
I think it's fine. Those who say it's bad for the knees, I don't know if they've ever tried olympic squats to say something like that. It's impossible to keep my knees from going past my toes if I'm doing a high bar olympic squat (or front squat) with a pair of weightlifting shoes. Powerlifting squat actually puts more stress on my knees.