PDA

View Full Version : So why so Much Food?

motor head
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I understand you have to eat a ton of food to build muscle. I also have the types of food down... but, after just eating a half pound of ground beef without beeing remotely hungry I decided I need to know the nutritional reasoning. Why cant your body build with a good workout and a regular amount of food?:confused:

bass slayer
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
i would like in on this also! im trying to force myself to eat even when im not hungry and its tough. i felt like throwing up last night. i know i nead to gain some weight but i have a hard time eating just to eat. does your appetite get bigger?

Progress
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Doesn't it speak for itself?

Your body needs a certain amount of maintenance calories to maintain its weight. If you're eating at or around your maintenance calories on average every given week your body maintains a level of homeostasis and you neither gain nor lose weight.

If you eat more (over your maintenance calories), your body will use the incoming calories for energy and store the rest. If you lift, much of those incoming calories will be used to repair the "damaged" muscles (from lifting) thus causing the muscles to grow. When your muscles grow, your body grows.

Reverse everything and you lose weight.

This is just a basic explanation without the science to hold you over until someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

Jorge Sanchez
10-31-2008, 12:53 PM
The law of thermodynamics. Muscle can't just come from nowhere, you have to give your body sufficient energy in the form of calories.

Your appetite will grow if you keep at it for a while.

CrazyK
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Your appetite will grow if you keep at it for a while.I notice this after about a week of stuffing my face. I also notice the opposite when I cut, loss of appetite after the first week.

Unreal
10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
How can you build a house with materials? Why can't you go make a sandwhich without bread and meat? Why can't you breathe without air? Why can't you swim without water?

Muscle and tissue your body makes doesn't appear out of no where.

WillNoble
10-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Muscle and tissue your body makes doesn't appear out of no where.

well unless you're Reko who got his from a mixture of injectable goodies and back alley blowj...nevermind

rbtrout
10-31-2008, 03:12 PM
It's already been said, you can't build something from nothing. You'll get used to it. It took me about 3 weeks to get used to it the first time I started a bulk. Now, if I miss a meal, I get shakey and really need to eat.

hellagrant
10-31-2008, 03:14 PM
does your appetite get bigger?

For me my appetite didn't get bigger. But it does become easier and easier as time goes by. I am not sure if my stomach is getting bigger or its all in my head, but I have no problem eating 5,000 calories a day now. When I first started I felt like I was going to die.

Progress
10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
For me my appetite didn't get bigger. But it does become easier and easier as time goes by. I am not sure if my stomach is getting bigger or its all in my head, but I have no problem eating 5,000 calories a day now. When I first started I felt like I was going to die.

Your body would love for you to get fat so you could have a reserve of energy. Your body would also like to know when the next mountain lion is going to attack. Eat. Lift.

liquidfire
11-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Bro a pound of red meat is way to much. Why woudl you even do that if you don't know what the reason is?

Count calories bro, that's the secret. What's the point in getting all fat and just having to cut down pre-season bro? You need to write down everything you eat and you'll see what I mean

Reko
11-01-2008, 01:54 AM
well unless you're Reko who got his from a mixture of injectable goodies and back alley blowj...nevermind

Whatever it takes....

Reko
11-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Bro a pound of red meat is way to much. Why woudl you even do that if you don't know what the reason is?

Count calories bro, that's the secret. What's the point in getting all fat and just having to cut down pre-season bro? You need to write down everything you eat and you'll see what I mean

Its way too much unless he adds tortillas, cheese and taco seasoning/sauce. Then its juuuuust right.

Tempered
11-01-2008, 05:22 AM
It gets easier.

You can also look to high calorie foods (think fats) like nut butters, whole milk, heavy cream, flax oil, etc for more calories with less volume.

Brad08
11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
It gets easier.

You can also look to high calorie foods (think fats) like nut butters, whole milk, heavy cream, flax oil, etc for more calories with less volume.

LoL.

AJ_H
11-02-2008, 11:36 AM
I understand you have to eat a ton of food to build muscle. I also have the types of food down... but, after just eating a half pound of ground beef without beeing remotely hungry I decided I need to know the nutritional reasoning. Why cant your body build with a good workout and a regular amount of food?:confused:

Because you eat a regular amount of food when you don't lift. If you lift, then your body needs more than usual to recover from it. If you don't recover, you won't grow big or strong, in fact you might even get smaller and weaker so get eating boy!

HighSchoolGuy
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I read this quote from someone a couple years ago. It was directed to someone asking the same question as the OP.
"You have 3 bricks. Build me a 12 brick house."