PDA

View Full Version : OK, last week wasn't a fluke, another bench PR today

BigTallOx
11-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Wooo Hooo! It's official, I'm starting to "get" benching. The 315 PR last week wasn't a fluke, today I benched 320. I'm very very happy right now.

Travis Bell
11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Great stuff man! Now change the ME exercise while your ahead LOL. Keep hitting those PRs

BigTallOx
11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Great stuff man! Now change the ME exercise while your ahead LOL. Keep hitting those PRs

Yeah, I will. But today I *HAD* to bench because I wanted to make sure I remembered what I was doing last week. But, yes, that is good advice, I'll change it next week. What do you suggest?

jmccown
11-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Give floor presses a go.

-JM-
11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
^2nd

Congrats man!

But...so hard to switch up your ME exercise when youre winning;)....

BigTallOx
11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
But...so hard to switch up your ME exercise when youre winning;)....

No kidding! Nice to know that others understand.

But I definitely don't want anything stopping my progress with benching. Bench PR's previously were a long time coming for me. I still can't believe I'm making solid progress on my bench, after years of making no progress at all, and thinking that I couldn't because I'm really tall. No excuses anymore, it doesn't get you anywhere. I know I have a long way to go, but I can't express how happy I am about benching right now. It's very very cool.

Next week I'll change it up. One of my lifting buddies suggested it today, and gave me a hard time for not doing it, but I just couldn't bring myself to not bench today. And it sure felt good.

Travis Bell
11-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Well actually its not what you did this week and last week that made the PRs possible, its what you've been doing leading up til now.

I agree, floor presses are a great ME exercise, but what else have you been doing for ME upper work til now?

BigTallOx
11-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Well actually its not what you did this week and last week that made the PRs possible, its what you've been doing leading up til now.

I agree, floor presses are a great ME exercise, but what else have you been doing for ME upper work til now?

Well, up to now I haven't changed it up very often. On ME days ( and DE days for that matter ) been working a lot on form ( arching, tucking, leg drive, etc ), and I didn't feel like it all came together until last week. And thus, even though I know this probably isn't optimal, most of my ME bench work has been flat bench ( with various accessory work that I do change up every week), sometimes with chains but only lately, a couple times floor presses, once in my bench shirt ( but I'm thinking I'm not ready for that yet, ie I need to build base strength ). But, with that said, I have been making some progress with flat bench throughout this time, even without changing it up very often. But it wasn't until last week that I felt like everything came together and I was able to make it over a huge plateau, both in weight and my technique/form. I know this means its time to switch it up, but I'm not really sure what to do instead. I have access to chains, bands, boards, ... and I'm very open to suggestions on how to continue my progress.

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Good work man. 405 is coming

Travis Bell
11-02-2008, 06:17 AM
ah I see. Well in that case its time to start doing boards, bands and chains. I wouldn't go much higher than a 2brd though for working on your raw strength. Do chains for one week, work up to a max with whatever grip, then do bands the next week, work up to a single with whatever grip etc. Use your imagination

Buccos1
11-02-2008, 06:46 AM
awesome. congrats!

Irish Pilot
11-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Congrats!