PDA

View Full Version : Critique my squats please!

Painzer
11-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Thank you in advance.

Also, at the end of the video, I taped myself doing Good Mornings. I'm pretty sure I'm doing them wrong. That's why I only did them with the bar. Can someone give me some tips??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObIPAbaZs8

Painzer
11-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Ok here it is. Thanks again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObIPAbaZs8

CleverName
11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Definitely need to stay tighter. You're moving around a lot in your reps. Looks kinda wobbly. Decent seems kind of fast. Control it down then fire it up.

GM's.. yick! Keep your back super tight and have your chest up way more. You won't be doing a lot of weight safely with your form like that. You could stand to put your butt back a bit more and bend your knees a bit more.

Painzer
11-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Definitely need to stay tighter. You're moving around a lot in your reps. Looks kinda wobbly. Decent seems kind of fast. Control it down then fire it up.

GM's.. yick! Keep your back super tight and have your chest up way more. You won't be doing a lot of weight safely with your form like that. You could stand to put your butt back a bit more and bend your knees a bit more.

That's why I asked. Thanks :)

Jorge Sanchez
11-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Why do you unrack the weight like that? I agree with CM, you are a bit loose and I think your setup is to blame. Get under the bar as if you were squatting it. That means both feet under the bar, pull the shoulder blades back, deep breath, and lift with your hips. Remember to pull your shoulder blades back and keep your chest up throughout the lift.

Spread your knees on the ascent and descent. Push your butt back further.

The speed on the 225 looked good. If you keep at it you will be a strong squatter.

Painzer
11-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Why do you unrack the weight like that? I agree with CM, you are a bit loose and I think your setup is to blame. Get under the bar as if you were squatting it. That means both feet under the bar, pull the shoulder blades back, deep breath, and lift with your hips. Remember to pull your shoulder blades back and keep your chest up throughout the lift.

The speed on the 225 looked good. If you keep at it you will be a strong squatter.

Part of the reason I unrack like that is because the bar placement is awkward for me. At that height, getting under it like a squat I feel off balanced because I'm already partially squatting. The next level up, is too high and I have to stand on my toes to get it off.

Nonetheless, I will give it a try next time. Thanks :)

Painzer
11-01-2008, 03:10 PM

And to be honest, I don't see a speed difference on the decent between 225 and any of the other lifts... :confused:

Jorge Sanchez
11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I meant the speed on the ascent was good. I agree with CM that you need to slow the descent down for control.

Painzer
11-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok, got it. Thanks.

MPB
11-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Make sure to spend your time and learn how to unrack properly. It's a lot better to have it lower than to have it too high.

Painzer
11-01-2008, 08:24 PM
OK, I'll work on that. Thanks.

Ben Moore
11-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Get out of the running shoes. Get some flat soled shoes for squatting

Painzer
11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Do you think the shoes make a big difference with lower weights? I don't have any flat soled shoes at the moment... Maybe in the next month I'll have some.

Cmanuel
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Do you think the shoes make a big difference with lower weights? I don't have any flat soled shoes at the moment... Maybe in the next month I'll have some.

Aside from my purchase of Starting Strength, my $15 Chuck Taylor Converses off Ebay have been my number one purchase relating to my weight lifting habit :)

Also I would 2nd what everyone said about your squat critique. Your definitely a bit wobbly on the squats, and I would probably advise you to work on form before jumping up on weights. Maybe stick with the weights that you are using now and just rep them out, post a vid, get more critique, rinse and repeat. Also thats a dangerous way of unracking the weight. As everyone has said, work on your unracking technique as if you were squatting the weight.

Can't comment on GM's as I am still a noob at them.

juggz
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
all i can say is "oh my"

Geeek
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree...tighter.

Painzer
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I guess I'm still trying to figure out where you guys are seeing that I'm "wobbly".... is it at the top of my reps where I tend to bounce a little bit? THe only time I saw any wobble was on my last rep at 225, and that was just because it started to feel heavy.

Also, can someone explain to me how to get "tighter" or what exactly that means??

I'm pretty sure the last two posters in this thread are bots, so I'll just ignore them.

Lones Green
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
the last 2 posts were not bots, but they didn't offer anything too constructive to your thread.

your form is not bad, the 2 main things i would work on is

1. getting in some flat soled shoes

2. staying tighter. unrack the bar and get your feet set. lock your arms and lats in, and pinch your shoulder blades together. control the weight on the descent, hit parallel, and come back up. by staying tight, the above posters mean keep in control of the weight. lock your lats in and arch your back.

Painzer
11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
the last 2 posts were not bots, but they didn't offer anything too constructive to your thread.

your form is not bad, the 2 main things i would work on is

1. getting in some flat soled shoes

2. staying tighter. unrack the bar and get your feet set. lock your arms and lats in, and pinch your shoulder blades together. control the weight on the descent, hit parallel, and come back up. by staying tight, the above posters mean keep in control of the weight. lock your lats in and arch your back.

Would wrestling shoes work?

Brad08
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I noticed the same thing with your upper back and tightness. You aren't setting up under the bar at all. People have already given you the cues so I won't go into that. But you need some more control, and it might just be that you need some more time under the bar, motor control, etc. and it comes with practice.

Personally, I think you should be deeper. I think you're cutting your depth short and just kinda divebombing your squats in order to use more weight. You could definitely get another 3" of depth with some work, and I think it would serve you well. Maybe spread your stance out an inch each way and as you descend, bend forward a littlemore and push your knees out.

Overall, your form looks fine though and you seem to be pretty strong esp. if you're just starting out.

Painzer
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Interesting, you're the first person to mention depth. Does anyone else think I need to go deeper?

Painzer
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Oh, and yeah... I think they are.. Look at the rest of their posts.

Jorge Sanchez
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I noticed depth too. You hit parallel on most of your squats, but you're about an inch or two high on others. I didn't mention it because most of them were good reps, but you could definitely get deeper.

Virtron
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I would say that your form is wrong in your squat because your lower leg is at too much of an angle. In other words, your knee shouldn't go passed your toes. In fact, its safer on your knee to keep your lower leg perpendicular with the floor. The way to achieve that is to bend forward a little more. Pretend like you're sitting on something. You can try it with a box that will get you below parallel. It really helps with that. Oh and you'll need a stronger lower back to bend forward more, but dont worry. You'll develop that.

Jorge Sanchez
11-04-2008, 08:23 AM
I would say that your form is wrong in your squat because your lower leg is at too much of an angle. In other words, your knee shouldn't go passed your toes. In fact, its safer on your knee to keep your lower leg perpendicular with the floor. The way to achieve that is to bend forward a little more. Pretend like you're sitting on something. You can try it with a box that will get you below parallel. It really helps with that. Oh and you'll need a stronger lower back to bend forward more, but dont worry. You'll develop that.

It's not bad for your knees.

Virtron
11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
It's not bad for your knees.

I dunno... I'm pretty sure it is.