PDA

View Full Version : Would appreciate help putting together a routine

[R_H]
11-01-2008, 03:49 PM
would appreciate some help putting together a routine to prepare me for my physical tests that I will be doing for selection in the military (sometime between the middle of December and beginning of March).

My goals are the following:
- long jump from standing: 2.70m (8'1")

- throwing/pushing a 2kg (4.4lb) medicine ball 7.90m (23'8") while sitting up against a wall, with a ball between the neck and the wall (ball is not allowed to fall down)

- holding a plank for 3min50s

- balancing at least for a total of 50s, hands clasped behind small of back, no hopping around, first 10s with eyes open, next 10s with eyes closed, then with eyes closed and head tilted back

- run for 17min42s (covering a distance of 3.6km (2.25miles)), inItial speed of 8.5km/h (5.3miles/h), increasing the speed by o.5km/h (0.3miles/h) every 200m(eighth of a mile), with a final speed of 17km/h (10.6miles/h)

- I will also have to do side planks (not sure for how long though), pushups and crunches (I think it's 42 of each in 2min), chin/pullups (not quite sure how many, I think it's 5) and a rope climb (not sure how high)

- march 4.5km (2.8miles) with a 20kg pack in 45 minutes

My routine (I'm only able to go to the gym twice aweek, on Tuesday and Friday) currently looks like this as of Friday (31.10.2008):

Cardio: Doing the run or intervals (20s sprinting/40s walking, 5 or more repetitions). Managed to run 12min24s, covering 2.2km (1.4miles) with an end speed of 13.5km/h (8.4miles/h)

Pullups: hands facing each other, 28lb assist (3X5, 1X3)

Dips: Currently doing 5X5 of my bodyweight, alternating between wide and narrow "grip".

Benchpress: 4kg(8.8lb) plus bar (just tried this on Friday)

Benchpress (Smith): 50kg(110lb) (3X5, just recently increased the weight), then down to 40kg(88lb) (1X8 then 1X5) [will transition over to BPing on the bench]

Overhead press, sitting (Smith): 30kg(66lb) (5X5) [will stop using the Smith]

Obliques: 32kg dumbell in one hand, lean to that side then straighten (5X5 per side)

45 degree Hyperextension: with 16kg dumbell (5X5)

Wrist curls: 12kg(26lb) (5X5 per side)

What should I change/add/remove?

Additional questions:
- Currently, I can only hold the plank for 40s, far short of my goal, what should I be doing to be able to increase my time (Deadlifts?, Holding the hyperextensions for a few seconds when fully extended?)?

- What can I do to increase the number of pushups I can do? After my workout last Tuesday I was able to do 20 pushups with my feet inclined. At around the 15 pushup-mark, my form was starting to get sloppy and I was nearing failure.

- Other than hanging from a chinup bar and doing wrist curls, what can I do improve my forearm strength?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice.

ZenMonkey
11-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Your routine needs an overhaul. Id look into crossfit.

[R_H]
11-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Your routine needs an overhaul. Id look into crossfit.

OK, thanks for the advice. This morning I ran 900m(approx. half a mile) in 5min, I did the WOD subsituting jumping/negative pullups for pullups and then I sprinted up stairs (the ramp attached to them actually) 3 times.

KingJustin
11-02-2008, 07:56 AM
If you end up doing CrossFit (which I highly recommend), I would not add things like stair sprints or extra running, etc. Instead, I would just do the CrossFit warm-up before your workout every day, and then end your workout with an 800m cool down jog and stretching:

CF warmup is...
3 rounds of 10 reps each of
Overhead squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back Extension
Pull-up
Dip

And if you can't do certain exercises, yeah, sub in stuff.

Also, in general, I recommend doing as little scaling as possible (today's workout being an exception; I don't like it). If you have to do 21 thrusters with 95 lbs, and you can only do 5, then stick with the weight even if it takes awhile. That will make you stronger -- too many beginners sub weight down and just take forever to get strong. And, the WODs are really more effective when you're strong. Doing a squat with 200 lbs is always going to have a bigger effect on your body and hit you harder cardiovascularly than a squat with 100 lbs. Make sure you also push really, really hard every workout and that you also really focus on the heavy days.

[R_H]
11-02-2008, 08:26 AM
First off, thanks for the advice KingJustin

If you end up doing CrossFit (which I highly recommend), I would not add things like stair sprints or extra running, etc. Instead, I would just do the CrossFit warm-up before your workout every day, and then end your workout with an 800m cool down jog and stretching:

CF warmup is...
3 rounds of 10 reps each of
Overhead squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back Extension
Pull-up
Dip

And if you can't do certain exercises, yeah, sub in stuff.

Also, in general, I recommend doing as little scaling as possible (today's workout being an exception; I don't like it). If you have to do 21 thrusters with 95 lbs, and you can only do 5, then stick with the weight even if it takes awhile. That will make you stronger -- too many beginners sub weight down and just take forever to get strong. And, the WODs are really more effective when you're strong. Doing a squat with 200 lbs is always going to have a bigger effect on your body and hit you harder cardiovascularly than a squat with 100 lbs. Make sure you also push really, really hard every workout and that you also really focus on the heavy days.

Regarding pullups, should I stick to do them on the machine (a Cybex) with an assist or switch over to doing negatives on a bar (or should I do both)? I just recently started doing dips with my bodyweight, should I already start adding weight to them as part of the warmup (same goes for situps and back extensions)?

Thanks

KingJustin
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
For the warm-up, you are just doing bodyweight exercises and you never do any added resistance. And, bodyweight is probably even too heavy right now -- start doing things like jumping pull-ups, and maybe sub in push-ups for dips.

And for pull-ups in general, CF usually advocates using jump stretch bands. If you don't have those, either jumping pull-ups or pull-ups on the cybex machine would be good.

[R_H]
11-02-2008, 12:49 PM
For the warm-up, you are just doing bodyweight exercises and you never do any added resistance. And, bodyweight is probably even too heavy right now -- start doing things like jumping pull-ups, and maybe sub in pull-ups for dips.

And for pull-ups in general, CF usually advocates using jump stretch bands. If you don't have those, either jumping pull-ups or pull-ups on the cybex machine would be good.

Ok. I'll sub. in more pullups for dips in the warmup, and move my dips towards the end of the workout. WRT dips, should I increase reps and decrease sets, to something like 4X10?

So next Tuesday my routine will look something like this?:

Warmup:
3X10 pullups (negative)
3X10 pullups (w/assist) or 3X10 dips
3X10 back extension
3X10 air squats

5x5(?) 40kg(?)+bar deadlift [going to ask a trainer to show me how to DL]
5X5(?) bar(?) overhead press
5X5(?) bar front(?) squat
5X5(per side) side bends w/30kg dumbell

How's that?

KingJustin
11-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Typo: start subbing in push-ups for dips. And instead of doing negatives on the pull-ups (that is very taxing), do jumping pull-ups and then just drop -- don't hold the negative.

Also, for the warm-up, go all the way through everything once, then a second time, then a third time. So, rather than doing 3 sets of back extensions and then 3 sets of air squats, do 10 jumping pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 10 back extensions, 10 air squats, 10 sit-ups, then go through and do it again.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about after that... after you do this warm-up (just do it every day you work out), proceed to do the workout of the day if you are going to stick with CrossFit. The workout of the day is not going to be 5x5 deadlifts, 5x5 OHP, 5x5 bar squats, 5x5 side bends. But, it will be posted on the main page.

[R_H]
11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Typo: start subbing in push-ups for dips. And instead of doing negatives on the pull-ups (that is very taxing), do jumping pull-ups and then just drop -- don't hold the negative.

Also, for the warm-up, go all the way through everything once, then a second time, then a third time. So, rather than doing 3 sets of back extensions and then 3 sets of air squats, do 10 jumping pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 10 back extensions, 10 air squats, 10 sit-ups, then go through and do it again.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about after that... after you do this warm-up (just do it every day you work out), proceed to do the workout of the day if you are going to stick with CrossFit. The workout of the day is not going to be 5x5 deadlifts, 5x5 OHP, 5x5 bar squats, 5x5 side bends. But, it will be posted on the main page.

Ok. I figure I'll do Crossfit whenever the WOD is interesting, and for those days it isn't, would the routine I posted in post #7 be of any use?

KingJustin
11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
You don't seem to have a great enough understanding of program design to mix-and-match the WODs at this point (it's relatively hard to do). It's not easy to instruct someone on how to do that, and it's also kind of pointless because the totality of the workouts and the programming is almost perfect for someone looking into military. So, my advice is to just do the normal workouts every day and try really hard.

[R_H]
11-03-2008, 05:01 AM
You don't seem to have a great enough understanding of program design to mix-and-match the WODs at this point (it's relatively hard to do). It's not easy to instruct someone on how to do that, and it's also kind of pointless because the totality of the workouts and the programming is almost perfect for someone looking into military. So, my advice is to just do the normal workouts every day and try really hard.

OK. I'll do the Michael WOD tomorrow then, I don't think I'll have time to check tomorrow's WOD before heading off tomorrow. Thanks for your help :).

[R_H]
11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Did yesterday's WOD today,

Warmup:
Jumping pullups:1X8, 1X5 and then 1X3
Pushups: 3X10
Dips: 3X7, forgot to replace with more pushups
Air Squat: 3X10
didn't do Situps or Back Extensions

WOD:
Round 1
50 situps in 2 minutes (bench slightly inclined)
28 back extensions in 1 minute (couldn't do any more)

Round2
10 back extensions (again, couldn't do any more)

Round3
15 back extensions

I didn't do the runs for two reasons. Firstly, I didn't have my running shoes with me (only a flat soled pair) and secondly I had 90 minutes of PE right before going to the gym (warmup, then an obstacle course & jumping rope, and 30 minutes of basketball). I'm tired, but sore. I'll definitely continue with CF. I also learned how to deadlift today.

KingJustin
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Ok, good start.

That said, I think you are misunderstanding the idea a little bit. I guess CrossFit metcons are very different from typical gym routines...

For "Michael," you are simply trying to go, start to finish, as quickly as possible. So, maybe you can only do 30 back extensions at one time. Fine (that's typical). So do 20, rest for 30 seconds, do another 20, rest for 30 seconds, and do 15. Then move on. So, in full, Michael might look like....

Start clock.
Jog 800m (check time -- 3:30, but don't stop)
50 sit-ups (time now 5:30)
20 back extensions (time 6:00 ... resting 30 seconds)
20 more back extensions (time 6:55 ... resting 30 seconds)
10 more back extensions (time now 7:40 ... moving on)
Jog another 800m (check time -- 11:00)
30 sit-ups (12:10, rest 30 seconds)
20 more sit-ups (13:20)
15 back extensions
15 back extensions
10 back extensions
10 back extensions (16:00)
Jog 800m (19:00)
20 sit-ups
15 sit-ups
10 sit-ups
5 sit-ups (22:00)
10 BE's
10 BE's
10 BE's
10 BE's
5 BE's
5 BE's
DONE! (28:00)

You're not resting at all between the rounds though. You don't think of things in terms of sets/reps..

And don't do things like increase the incline on sit-ups unless it says to do something like that. If something's easy, then move through it quickly and get a good time.

And your warm-up still seems to be off. You don't do 3 consecutive sets of pull-ups. You do 10 reps of each exercise and then go through and do it again, and then 1 more time...

[R_H]
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Ok, good start.

That said, I think you are misunderstanding the idea a little bit. I guess CrossFit metcons are very different from typical gym routines...

For "Michael," you are simply trying to go, start to finish, as quickly as possible. So, maybe you can only do 30 back extensions at one time. Fine (that's typical). So do 20, rest for 30 seconds, do another 20, rest for 30 seconds, and do 15. Then move on. So, in full, Michael might look like....

Start clock.
Jog 800m (check time -- 3:30, but don't stop)
50 sit-ups (time now 5:30)
20 back extensions (time 6:00 ... resting 30 seconds)
20 more back extensions (time 6:55 ... resting 30 seconds)
10 more back extensions (time now 7:40 ... moving on)
Jog another 800m (check time -- 11:00)
30 sit-ups (12:10, rest 30 seconds)
20 more sit-ups (13:20)
15 back extensions
15 back extensions
10 back extensions
10 back extensions (16:00)
Jog 800m (19:00)
20 sit-ups
15 sit-ups
10 sit-ups
5 sit-ups (22:00)
10 BE's
10 BE's
10 BE's
10 BE's
5 BE's
5 BE's
DONE! (28:00)

You're not resting at all between the rounds though. You don't think of things in terms of sets/reps..

And don't do things like increase the incline on sit-ups unless it says to do something like that. If something's easy, then move through it quickly and get a good time.

And your warm-up still seems to be off. You don't do 3 consecutive sets of pull-ups. You do 10 reps of each exercise and then go through and do it again, and then 1 more time...

Ah, ok. I was switching between pullups and pushups, and then dips and squats. Next time I'll do ten of each etc. I'm looking forward to Friday, hopefully I won't have to learn a bunch of new lifts for the WOD