PDA

View Full Version : Idea I've been tossing around..

JasonLift
11-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Well to start with I am gonna post a brief outline of my current training though I tend to change a few small things here and there every 3 weeks the format tends to stay the same.

ME Bench Day-
I start with doing my max work. This week I did 2 board press. Work to a single.
Then I do an accessory pressing movement, this week it was jm presses trying to stay around 6 reps for 3 sets or so.
Then I work in some type of tricep dumbell work, this week it was Tates for 3 sets of 10 reps or under.
I move on to rowing work for 5 sets of the 5-8 rep range.
then I work the shoulders with a couple sets of dumbell raises for each direction (front, side, rear)
Then wrist/bicep, this week it was hammer curls for 3 sets of 10 or so.

General I use less weight then I'd normally on this day.

The next workout is my ME Squat day (Not going to go into detail as its not what I am planning on changing).

Then its DE Bench day
I do 3 sets of 3 reps for each of the three grips (index on smooth, thumb length from smooth, pinky on ring).
Then I do the same thing as the ME day except the initial max rep work. I work with as heavy as weights as possible on this day for my accessory work.

Then its DE Squat day.

I do smaller restoration workouts several times a week as well as 30 minutes on the treadmill 4 times a week just to get the blood flowing.

I am not real happy with the ME bench day. I am thinking instead of the accessory work I should do more pressing. This week after my 2 board press I worked to a single with index on the smooth presses (full range of motion). I liked the extra pressing which I usually don't do (work to singles on more than one pressing movement). I am thinking of dropping the accessory stuff and just doing more pressing. Work some 8-10 rep competition grip benching and more closer grip stuff. Focus all my accessory work on the DE bench day instead.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Experience with something along these lines?

Hazerboy
11-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Post some of your numbers - best bench, squat, dead, 2 board press, bodyweight, heck even height. that way we'll know your experience level and we can better help you.

JasonLift
11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
6'3 312 lbs. (as of friday morning).
These are raw totals
Bench- 335
Squat- 405
Dead- 440

Background/Exp.- Started lifting at 13, did it consistently from 13-18 while playing Football and wrestling. Stopped lifting after high school for several years then started back up again at 23. Trained for 2 years until I got married. Started again last year weighing in at a whooping 375 lbs. (always been a big guy at 250 I look like a lanky basketball player). I was not very strong either at the time totaled less than 900. Up until 4 months ago I was doing a bodybuilder type workout then found out about Louie Simmons and westside training. To that point I had been shredding some weight but my lifts went no where at all. Now of course I am stronger than I ever been and feel great.

Long Term Goals- Total Elite.
Short Term Goals- Stay around 300 lbs. and be ready to compete this time next year (as close to my 30th birthday as possible- I turn 29 at the end of the month). By ready I mean get my form nailed down and get accustomed to using gear. I want to attend a few meets before then too.

So today I am debating to keep the accessory work or to drop most the accessory work and do more pressing.

Something like -

2- Board press- work to 1 RM
Full range press thumb length from smooth- work to 1 RM
2 sets of competition grip Full Range Bench Presses for around 8-10 reps.
JM Presses 3 sets for 6-8 reps.
Military Press 4 sets around 6-10 rep range.
Finish with some heavy upright Rows for a few sets.

AdamBAG
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
You are in Columbus? Go directly to Westside, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Travis Bell
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Where do you currently train at?

JasonLift
11-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I currently train at my fathers (my apartment is too small to store all my lifting equipment). It works pretty good because of my work schedule and the fact that I live only a couple of blocks from him but I am getting that itch to get back in the gym with some real training partners again. My good friend works out at Old School Gym in Pataskala on the east side and I thinking of heading over there after the holidays.

Tonight was not a good night to say the least. Last week doing some heavy dumbell lateral raises I kind of hurt my right shoulder. Nothing too bad just some pain that I had my wife ice and wrap several times that night and also did some band work with my shoulders before bed. My shoulder felt fine since then (that was last Thursday).

Tonight after my warm up I started in on 2 board presses and felt great up until I got to about 10% of my regular bench max. I made the lift but my right shoulder hurt like hell. I thought maybe I was just being a puss so I tried it again and sure enough still hurt. So I decided to drop the weight down to 75% and bang out a few full range reps to see how my shoulder felt. I got one rep out but the pain was too much to do more.

I stopped with the pressing and did some light triceps dumbell exts, then grabbed 10 lbs. dumbells and 20 reps each of Front, lateral, and dumbell cleans in a row for 2 sets. My shoulder felt a lot better after that. So I went back in with 75% of my max and banged out another rep and though I still felt some pain it was not nearly as bad. I am gonna ice and do some rehab and stick to light shoulder work for a bit.