PDA

View Full Version : How I feel about powerlifting

BigTallOx
11-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Powerlifting has found an emptiness, a hole, a void that has been deep down inside myself for many years and it has filled it completely. I would have never guessed how satisfying moving a weight from point A to point B can be, but it is the reason that life is good, no matter what else happens.

vdizenzo
11-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Very well stated. I don't know what I would do without it.

Donnajo
11-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Me too! It brought out a confidence in me that I forgot about and has led me to believe in myself in other areas of my life too. It makes me feel good!

Pete22
11-02-2008, 09:06 AM
It's a healthy obsession for me now. I constantly think about getting stronger and hitting bigger numbers.

Detard
11-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Agreed

geoffsherman
11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Powerlifting has found an emptiness, a hole, a void that has been deep down inside myself for many years and it has filled it completely. I would have never guessed how satisfying moving a weight from point A to point B can be, but it is the reason that life is good, no matter what else happens.

I hear ya brother. My wife was telling me this weekend that when we start having children, I will not be able to focus as much on powerlifting. I told her that was why I planned on putting together a home gym :) I also said that I planned to balance things better, such as placing a baby seat on the prowler and strapping the kid in while I do my pushes and pulls. I told her that it would work out perfectly because I would hopefully get stronger as the baby got bigger. Four hours later and I am still gettig the silet treatment on that one :)

mosley1990
11-02-2008, 05:06 PM
i couldnt of said it any better...

Detard
11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I hear ya brother. My wife was telling me this weekend that when we start having children, I will not be able to focus as much on powerlifting. I told her that was why I planned on putting together a home gym :) I also said that I planned to balance things better, such as placing a baby seat on the prowler and strapping the kid in while I do my pushes and pulls. I told her that it would work out perfectly because I would hopefully get stronger as the baby got bigger. Four hours later and I am still gettig the silet treatment on that one :)

Dude thats the best idea i've ever heard. Not only will you get to spend time with your kid, you will expose them to a great sport/hobby which they will maybe get into in the future.

Donnajo
11-02-2008, 08:48 PM

I had my little one in the baby bouncer. I would set her up and then workout. I was deadlifting a few weeks after I had her. Had to stop a few times to deal with her and workout took longer but I got it in. And I am a mommy tell your wife. :)

40 Nunc
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Here's the twisted part... You're not really moving weight from point A to point B, its more like moving it from point A to point A... Funny how satisfying it can be!

Travis Bell
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I love powerlifting. I live eat and breathe this stuff. I have been so very fortunate to learn from some of the greats of powerlifting. Even if something happened to where I had to quit tomorrow, I'd still look back on everything I've worked through and be glad of how its contributed to my character. I hope that I am able to return to others what my coaches and inspirations have contributed to me.

I've been very fortunate to have a girlfriend who understands and supports my powerlifting. What I've found makes it work even better though is taking advantage of opportunities to completely focus on whats important to her, just like she does me. Not many hobbies require as much time as ours do so when I get a chance, I'll take a few days off of training and that way I find myself completely mentally as well as physically present in whatever activity I'm that is important to her. In turn, she doesn't feel I'm ignoring her when I'm off to train every day. I rarely go out of state for meets and when meets are local, its an extremely rare occasion that girl misses one.

I think keeping powerlifting in perspective is what has made it so enjoyable to me. Each time I come back to the gym, I'm laser beam focused and intense. And then I'm done. Shut it down and head home.

LOL geoff, your ideas are hilarious. Nice work my friend. I give a ton of credit to my friends out there who even find the energy to train when they have kids. That takes a lot of dedication when you have kids keeping you up at all hours of the night.

jbrin0tk
11-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I love powerlifting. I live eat and breathe this stuff. I have been so very fortunate to learn from some of the greats of powerlifting. Even if something happened to where I had to quit tomorrow, I'd still look back on everything I've worked through and be glad of how its contributed to my character. I hope that I am able to return to others what my coaches and inspirations have contributed to me.

I've been very fortunate to have a girlfriend who understands and supports my powerlifting. What I've found makes it work even better though is taking advantage of opportunities to completely focus on whats important to her, just like she does me. Not many hobbies require as much time as ours do so when I get a chance, I'll take a few days off of training and that way I find myself completely mentally as well as physically present in whatever activity I'm that is important to her. In turn, she doesn't feel I'm ignoring her when I'm off to train every day. I rarely go out of state for meets and when meets are local, its an extremely rare occasion that girl misses one.

I think keeping powerlifting in perspective is what has made it so enjoyable to me. Each time I come back to the gym, I'm laser beam focused and intense. And then I'm done. Shut it down and head home.

LOL geoff, your ideas are hilarious. Nice work my friend. I give a ton of credit to my friends out there who even find the energy to train when they have kids. That takes a lot of dedication when you have kids keeping you up at all hours of the night.

Great post, Travis. Very well said.

Andre518
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
It's a healthy obsession for me now. I constantly think about getting stronger and hitting bigger numbers.

I feel the same way!

Donnajo
11-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Oh yes. I have days , mine is 4, where she is throwing a fit. But this is mommy's time and I look forward to it. I don't get to do anything alone anymore. I don't pee alone even, the door blasts open and there she is and the dog. So for me it is a full escape. Powerlifting is MY thing and I need that. :indian:

Chris Smith
11-02-2008, 11:16 PM
When my boy was a newborn (he is 4 yrs old now) I would take him down to the gym with me and keep him in his pumpkin seat while I trained. When he got older and could walk, I would take him down to the gym until he started pulling all of the pins out of every selectorized machine and spread them throughout the gym. I train at the Powerstation Gym in Ohio and our gym owner (Mike Ferguson) is pretty much obsessive compulsive about having all the weights placed properly, etc. So I stopped bringing my boy down there for training days, and just find someone to watch him. LOL.

TheVrolok
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I agree with you OP, I think some of the satisfaction stems from how intrinsically simple lifting can be. You take weight off a rack, and you make it move with nothing but your bare hands. There's something truly satisfying about making gains, moving heavy weights, etc when there's nothing more involved than you, and a couple (hundred) pounds of metal.

Ben Moore
11-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Dude thats the best idea i've ever heard. Not only will you get to spend time with your kid, you will expose them to a great sport/hobby which they will maybe get into in the future.

I did that with my first daughter on the sled. When they get older, they love to think they are helping you out and you get your work done at the same time.

Brad08
11-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with you OP, I think some of the satisfaction stems from how intrinsically simple lifting can be. You take weight off a rack, and you make it move with nothing but your bare hands. There's something truly satisfying about making gains, moving heavy weights, etc when there's nothing more involved than you, and a couple (hundred) pounds of metal.

+1

A guy asked me yesterday why I lift, and I tried to explain but it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't lift. They just think it's cosmetics b/c they associate lifting weights with oiled-up bodybuilders and tanned douchebags on the beach with board shorts and a "superman" necklace.

Barbaccio
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Whoever said Point A to Point A is right on. It's funny, you just can't ever feel satisfied. You feel great for about 1 hour after hitting a PR total until you start thinking of what training you're going to have to do to hit the next one. The thrill of the chase is so much more entertaining than the actual catch.

Buccos1
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Powerlifting has opened up an entire new release for me. After BB-type training for almost 20 years, it became almost "check in--check out." The degree of satisfaction from obtaining a PR or finishing a grueling workout after a long day of work is a rush. Doing a deadlift workout on my worst days ends up turning them into one of the better ones.

BigBatz
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Whoever said Point A to Point A is right on. It's funny, you just can't ever feel satisfied. You feel great for about 1 hour after hitting a PR total until you start thinking of what training you're going to have to do to hit the next one. The thrill of the chase is so much more entertaining than the actual catch.

Couldn't have put it better. Also like to add that strength training in general has literally saved my life.

geoffsherman
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't think people realize it is a lifestyle as much as it is a hobby. I can talk to anyone about powerlifting and related for hours on end, no problem. For those who don't understand me, I equate it to golf. Just as how I don't understand why you can sit there reading magazines on how to change your foot position 1 inch to acheive better loft on the ball, you can't understand how I can read a magazine to learn how shifting my weight this way or that can add 5 lbs to a squat. But I always end it with "but can you kick my a$%?". (Bonus points to anyone who knows what that quote is from).

BigggDog
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Bigtallox I love your post. It's very satisfying after an intense workout. I have made of alot of friends in the world of powerlifting. The meets are alot of fun for everyone. Powerlifters are a very helpful group of people. I have helped alot of people and been helped by alot of people at the meets. I have given away squatsuits and bench shirts because some guys needed them at the meets. It's a great lifestyle.

Sensei
11-04-2008, 04:13 AM
I love PL. IMO, there is nothing better in the gym than a long, drawn out ME workout in gear with a group of like-minded meatheads.

Those gradually became fewer and farther between after my son was born and other work came into the picture, but I really admire those who can do it.

brihead301
11-04-2008, 06:49 AM
I too, am becoming obsessed with this healthy obsession. I wouldn't quite call myself a powerlifter since I've never competed and I don't necessarily train like a powerlifter (I will be soon though). But I love squating, dling, benching, pressing, and cleaning following Rippetoe's methods, and I love it every time I hit a new PR.

BIG AL
11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
What is better then being strong and looking strong or fat. You can understand, people that don't powerlift have no idea. I am 6'5" 340 and friends and family say how big are you going to get, and the only right answer is as big as I can get as long as I keep getting stronger, duh

Eric Downey
11-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Something nice about being stronger than most people in any givin room.

BigTallOx
11-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I love PL. IMO, there is nothing better in the gym than a long, drawn out ME workout in gear with a group of like-minded meatheads.

Oh man, that's exactly it. That's what my saturday max effort bench workouts are like ( although I don't bench in gear very often ), and it's best couple of hours of my entire week. Today's was awesome and I'm already looking forward to next saturday.

BigTallOx
11-09-2008, 04:14 AM
What is better then being strong and looking strong or fat. You can understand, people that don't powerlift have no idea. I am 6'5" 340 and friends and family say how big are you going to get, and the only right answer is as big as I can get as long as I keep getting stronger, duh

Good answer, I'm going to have to remember that one. You're right though, people who don't powerlift don't understand. Weird, it seems so clear to me, lol.