PDA

View Full Version : Another attempt at squatting... (video)

Cricket_Fire
11-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey all. Got into the suit again today and did some reps after my ME lift. I think these look a lot better, but would like any help you guys can give. I tried taking my pinkies off the bar and quite liked it - for some reason I have to take them off after the bar is on my back though; if I do it from the very start, it really hurts my hand :S

I still had trouble keeping my arch even with <500lbs (and I plan on breaking 700 in Feb), so I was thinking I would start doing goodmornings, and make SURE Im arching as hard as possible throughout them, and count it as a miss if my back starts to round? Decent idea, or no?

2X4nSSMLa4Q

Again, rip the hell outta my form haha. Thanks,
Keenan

deeder
11-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey all. Got into the suit again today and did some reps after my ME lift. I think these look a lot better, but would like any help you guys can give. I tried taking my pinkies off the bar and quite liked it - for some reason I have to take them off after the bar is on my back though; if I do it from the very start, it really hurts my hand :S

I still had trouble keeping my arch even with <500lbs (and I plan on breaking 700 in Feb), so I was thinking I would start doing goodmornings, and make SURE Im arching as hard as possible throughout them, and count it as a miss if my back starts to round? Decent idea, or no?

2X4nSSMLa4Q

Again, rip the hell outta my form haha. Thanks,
Keenan

Fixed so I can watch it.

Cricket_Fire
11-02-2008, 10:34 AM
hmmm, Travis... wanna fix another video? ;) haha not sure why its not showing up...

deeder
11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
hmmm, Travis... wanna fix another video? ;) haha not sure why its not showing up...

You just need to put what comes after ?v=

Cricket_Fire
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
aha youre too quick for me Deeder ;)

Thanks bro

cphafner
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM

I fixed it for you. All you have to do is click the youtube icon on the toolbar then put only the end of the code in. For your vid that was 2X4nSSMLa4Q.

Take a look here.
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=94116

Travis Bell
11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Most of them appear high to me, but it is a little difficult to tell from that angle. I think you need to sit back further

Chris Rodgers
11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I think they definitely look deeper than the last video. You also did a ton of work there, lots of volume. Were those all straps down? It makes a big difference squeezing down with and without straps. I would definitely practice with them up. Personally, I feel better making depth when I have a knee wrap on too, but I know the weights here were pretty light for that.

I'd say just keep working it. Good improvement for one week.

Captain_Crunch
11-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Squats look good but you have that little hitch in the middle on the way up. Looks like your hips are moving first out of the hole and your head is moving back into the bar half way up. I'd try to fix this. GM's will help your arch so I would say it's a good idea to use them all the time. If you have access to a SSB it will really help with leading with the head out of the hole.

Travis Bell
11-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I think they definitely look deeper than the last video. You also did a ton of work there, lots of volume. Were those all straps down? It makes a big difference squeezing down with and without straps. I would definitely practice with them up. Personally, I feel better making depth when I have a knee wrap on too, but I know the weights here were pretty light for that.

I'd say just keep working it. Good improvement for one week.

This is a good point. My post probably sounded a little harsh. they were a little high, but not sky high. Get down just a little more and you'll be good, but CR is right, you've made huge progress in just one week

Lones Green
11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
you're leaning a little forward too...if you sit back more, stay upright, and arch your depth will come a lot easier and the weights will fly up a lot faster. i had the exact same problem and it took me about a year to fix it, and i still do it sometimes under heavy heavy weights.

whatever you do, don't look into that mirror.

Ryan Celli
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I think they are high too. sorry!

What federation will you be competing in? what suit is that?

Straps up and knee wraps are going to feel altogether different as far as judging your depth, so try to get that fixed asap. Just keep sitting BACK into the squat, not DOWN.

keep up the good work!

Ryan

Cricket_Fire
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice all :)

Ryan - Meet will be SSA, and its a Metal Viking V-Stance (1 ply).

Ive competed in this suit a few times before and got successful lifts in it; not sure why Im having such a hard time with it now lmao.

Thanks again everyone. Ill post up another vid in a couple weeks to see if its any better haha

RhodeHouse
11-06-2008, 11:06 AM

Ive competed in this suit a few times before and got successful lifts in it; not sure why Im having such a hard time with it now lmao.

Thanks again everyone. Ill post up another vid in a couple weeks to see if its any better haha

As the weights get heavier, your elbows flair back more and more. This contributes to you lsoing your arch. no matter the weight, you need to crank those elbows under the bar and keep them there. Drive your head back into the bar and drive your chest up as you drive your hips thru. Someone mentioned this earlier. The head and hips have to move at the same time. It's a very slight movement. Nothing crazy. I actually drive my eyes up as I squat out of the hole. Just keep the chest up high, elbows cranked under the bar, and drive hard out of the hole.

Also, get the straps up for reps. Do triples and doubles with the straps up. It's a whole other animal with those straps.

Reko
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Have you gained weight since then? Maybe it is just fitting tighter now than you did then.

Lones Green
11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Have you gained weight since then? Maybe it is just fitting tighter now than you did then.

exactly what i was going to say...when i was a lot heavier it was harder to get depth, but my gut gave me an extra boost out of the hole

now that the gut isn't there, (as much) hitting depth is easier.

Cricket_Fire
11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks all

Rhodes - Ima write that paragraph in my log and re-read it before every squat haha. Thanks a lot man

Reko and Lones - thats the wierdest part; Im actually losing weight right now. Used to take a good 15 minutes of struggling w/ garbage bags over my legs to get the thing on, now I can do it with no bags in way less time. My legs are a couple inches smaller around aswell. I think Im just being a big pussy and not staying with it to try and get depth haha

Thanks again everyone. The next set of videos will be even better ;)

elitepler
11-07-2008, 06:51 PM
As the weights get heavier, your elbows flair back more and more. This contributes to you lsoing your arch. no matter the weight, you need to crank those elbows under the bar and keep them there. Drive your head back into the bar and drive your chest up as you drive your hips thru. Someone mentioned this earlier. The head and hips have to move at the same time. It's a very slight movement. Nothing crazy. I actually drive my eyes up as I squat out of the hole. Just keep the chest up high, elbows cranked under the bar, and drive hard out of the hole.

Also, get the straps up for reps. Do triples and doubles with the straps up. It's a whole other animal with those straps.

all perfect advice especially the last sentence, if your getting forward with straps down then with them up your really going to get pulled forward.

BTW, you have gotten alot stronger since you first started posting over on FI, great job.

Cricket_Fire
11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks bro :) . Its coming, slow and steady haha

Cheers