pK9oZj2XWrs
Snathc 155
RkslJjD0Fl4
Snatch 135x2
vSm1C41djv4

Breathing Squats
Not supposed to be recording in the gym. Its 185 not 175 too
68OLJcvFxSs

Criticism Wanted! I already see many things I need to work on.

Jorge Sanchez
11-02-2008, 02:27 PM
You really are not getting any hip extension on any of your Olympic lifts. You're just muscling the weight up with your arms. Check out some pro vids on youtube and you will see that they bang their thighs on the bar during the extension to get the weight up.

youngguns
11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
^^^ what he said. you might also try to 'jump under' the weight (if that makes any sense). and i would make your starting stance for your snatch a little closer, and sit down a little more.

geoffsherman
11-02-2008, 02:48 PM
First of all, I give you props for posting your vids on here and being willing to take some feedback. I am not an olympic lifter, but I agree with the original poster that you don't look very explosive on those lifts and seem to be musclig the weight up (which is impressive given the weight.

On the squats, it is hard to see much from the side. If you can post vids at an angle or from behind, it might help. From what I saw, you are getting plenty of depth which is great. I did notice that your knees shoot forward at the bottom which may be a result of a pretty quick descent.

coldfire
11-02-2008, 02:49 PM
From what I see, you have early arm bend in the pulls and you don't have a full extension. I'm no expert though.

You are bouncing of your kness in the squats. It makes them slide forward and kill the tension.

Good effort.

Tom Mutaffis
11-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Technique could definitely be better but the weights are pretty good - assuming the last C&J of 195 is around your bodyweight.

As others suggested you may want to look at some olympic videos online and try to mimic the form, but that is still no replacement for finding a quality coach to work with if you are serious about OLY. Would say you are good for an additional 35-50 lbs when you begin to utilize explosiveness and proper technique.

Great job starting out though, definitely post up your progress.

ZenMonkey
11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow, everybody, that is great. You guys are awesome.

I agree completely with what everyone has said.

Looks like first things on the agenda will be

1- Hip extension
2- dropping under the bar

Yea, I was bouncing a bit.. I dont usually do that... just really tired that day I guess.

I also have a session with my coach in a week for form check stuff. Thanks to everyone!

JHarris
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Basically, you need to stop taking it from the floor. Deadlift the weight and then, keeping your back tight and arched, lowered it about half-way down your thighs and then take the lift, focusing REALLY hard on keeping your arms straight and actually jumping. You are just not using your legs/hips at all. Once you can do the two lifts without bending your arms at half-way down your thighs, start lowering the bar beneath your knees.

I've seen a lot of guys start in your position - you need to break yourself of the using your arms habit right now, or you will regret it later. Taking it from the floor can be worked on later - really work on your extension and using your legs/hips for now so that you get the power generation side of it down.

Fuzzy
11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Um, my major concern as someone who actually Oly lifts is how wide your stance is. Fix that and with time alot of the other problems will sort themselves out.

Narrow the stance considerably, slightly narrower than hip width and arch the back AGGRESSIVELY, This applies for the snatch and the clean. Once that is right the hip extension and bar motion will flow through much easier.

HfolkHlPC1U

Forget that I am in a tutu and look at my stance, how my knees spread outwards (the distance between the knees should be longer than the distance between the heels, yours looked far to close, and look how arched my back is.

From then on you will naturally begin bring the hips in.

As for the jerk, FILL UP WITH AIR BEFORE LAUNCHING. Fill, and then drive off of the HEEL and make sure the front foot hits the floor hard, but aim for it with the heel. Driving, and landing through and on the heels will give you far more consistent jerk.

Oh.. and get more aggressive you weak bitch!

JHarris
11-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Um, my major concern as someone who actually Oly lifts...

Careful, my friend - I still total a good 60-70kg more than you at a lighter bodyweight.

You have some good points. I still think he needs to be working exclusively from the hang - too many new lifters develop awful habits by taking it from the floor too early.

Fuzzy
11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Careful, my friend - I still total a good 60-70kg more than you at a lighter bodyweight.

You have some good points. I still think he needs to be working exclusively from the hang - too many new lifters develop awful habits by taking it from the floor too early.

What's the point of going to the hang if he isn't even in the right stance to begin the pull?

JHarris
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
One of the standard ways of teaching the lifts is the top-down approach. If your second pull sucks, it doesn't matter what you do off the floor. I have found that most new lifters need a lot of time to get the second pull down and taking it from the hang early lets the focus on this. Really, the whole point of the first pull is to get you in proper position for the second pull, anyway.

Then again, not all people teach the lifts this way. But the less of a lift that you do, the more you can make sure it is right.

Fuzzy
11-03-2008, 01:44 AM
One of the standard ways of teaching the lifts is the top-down approach. If your second pull sucks, it doesn't matter what you do off the floor. I have found that most new lifters need a lot of time to get the second pull down and taking it from the hang early lets the focus on this. Really, the whole point of the first pull is to get you in proper position for the second pull, anyway.

Then again, not all people teach the lifts this way. But the less of a lift that you do, the more you can make sure it is right.

Agreed, but how can anyone learn to right if they can't even stand right first?

If he does work from the hang, it will hardly be that useful with his knees as close as his feet, and his feet too wide. It will always feel awkward.

joey54
11-03-2008, 05:13 AM
With the squats, try to keep your form on those last few reps. I know it is tough to do as you fatigue, but I think that is one improvement you can make.

Tom Mutaffis
11-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Agreed. I suggest to most people to start out with a less technical portion of any complex movement until they have the proper coaching and can develop better form / get more comfortable with the exercise. Not an olympic lifter but assume that it applies here as well since I have dabbled with the lifts and realize how truely difficult they are.

Fuzzy - never thought about arching my back from the floor but just tried it and I think I can do a lot more weight that way. I deadlift with my back rounded so that always been second nature and am not an OLY lifter - but moving a little more weight is always fun!

ZenMonkey
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys. I just posted another thread with some form update videos from today

Fuzzy
11-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Fuzzy - never thought about arching my back from the floor but just tried it and I think I can do a lot more weight that way. I deadlift with my back rounded so that always been second nature and am not an OLY lifter - but moving a little more weight is always fun!

It isnt a deadlift, you want to keep the lever tha is your back as rigid and tight as possible. Get this right ans alot of the lift will figure itself out. I was never taught to esxtend and brush, I just ended up doing it naturally once everything else was set.

This may not be as FAST as doing it only from the hang, but the learning process for your body is far more valuable in the long run than having the lifts broken down.

Just wha my coach seemed to do with me, and it worked great.

ZenMonkey
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Fuzzy-

So you are saying that if I start in a lower position(like low squat) with my feet properly spread then the hip extension and such shoudl fall into place? Should I be actively extending my hips like in a KB swing?

Fuzzy
11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Fuzzy-

So you are saying that if I start in a lower position(like low squat) with my feet properly spread then the hip extension and such shoudl fall into place? Should I be actively extending my hips like in a KB swing?

Not a lower position, you need to be slightly more upright with your chest more pronounced, you need to AGGRESSIVELY arch your back, this is important. This is a clean or snatch, not a deadlift, completely and utterly separate the movements in your mind and approach them as completely different lifts to a deadlift.

Narrow the stance, spread the knees a bit more, your squats were too wide as well, narrow that up to.

And always, ALWAYS tell yourself to accelerate, faster, never ever slow down.

ZenMonkey
11-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Sweet man, thanks. I think Im gonna turn my cardio days(2x a week) into form days.