PDA

View Full Version : Beginner lifter and cardio

Scrawnymoke
11-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if I'll have enough rest once I begin lifting 3-4 times a week while swimming. The season is starting up again soon and we practice mon-thurs for about 1 1/2 hours. I'm trying to gain mass as well, and I'm guessing I'll have to eat a lot!

rbtrout
11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Way back when I was in high school, the water wallys (what we called water polo players) and swimmers practiced first thing in the am. If that's your case, then afternoon lifting would be the ticket. If you guys practice in the afternoon, lift in the morning. I'd think you'd have enough energy to do both.
YES, you'll need to eat like a pig to gain while doing both swimming and lifting.

Tom Mutaffis
11-03-2008, 09:55 AM
You can still get enough rest but you need to make sure that you train optimally and that all factors are in place:

1. Weight training sessions should be 30-45 minutes and rep range from 5-12 repetitions.
2. You will want to take in simple and complex carbs pre-workout for both training sessions and a good protein / recovery shake after each workout (Opticen and Maximus are great for recovery - if you chose maximus you could do 1/2 serving after each training session lasting you 40 workouts from one container)
3. Need to sleep 8 hours per night of quality sleep.
4. Limit any alcohol, and try to steer clear of stimulants except when you absolutely need them.
5. Diet should consist of many small meals and you should basically be eating the entire day. You will need a lot of carbohydrates and fat to fuel all of your training but also want to keep it somewhat under control so that you do not just gain fat.
Dietary guidelines: Eat at least 1 gram of protein for each pound of bodyweight, .5 gram fat per pound of bodyweight and 3-4 grams of carbs for each pound of bodyweight. This would put a 150 lbs person at 2,900-3,700 calories per day.
6. Train instinctively - if you are sore or tired then do not train and push the workout to the next day.
7. Occassionally have a "recovery day" where you spend the entire day resting and relaxing (weekend)

If you can eat/sleep/rest appropriately you can see some great gains both with your swimming and physique.

Geeek
11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I would think so....

Scrawnymoke
11-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the info. Hmm if I do lift in the morning, I'll have to wake up super early to catch the bus to the gym and then to school.