PDA

View Full Version : food prep

LoneJeeper
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
What are your tricks to make food prep easier and/or take less time?

I make a weeks worth of steel cut oatmeal at a time and freeze them in morning portion sized tupperware. the microwave warms them up and it saves me a bunch of morning time.

I now buy tuna in the pouches and eat out of the pouches at work. saves time and dishes.

any other hints?

bschatz88
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I like to cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and brown rice, mix it together, then portion it out into daily servings. Add some low-sodium soy sauce if you want.

LoneJeeper
11-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I like to cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and brown rice, mix it together, then portion it out into daily servings. Add some low-sodium soy sauce if you want.

can you freeze it? how long does it last?

guile
11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I cook in 3 and 4 day cycles, that way they are always 'fairly' fresh, so i'll cook some potatoes and chicken on a sunday night, and that will keep me going till wednesday, when i cook enough to keep me going till sunday, and the cycle repeats.

I prefer to freshly cook pasta, unless i specifically want it cold or to take out of the house.

jpw204
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
After returning home from the food store, I typically separate all of my chicken breasts/red meat/fish into individual servings. I then usually prepare any pre-cooked meals for the week and store in tupperware (Chili). I also will usually cooke 3-4 chicken breasts for the following days lunch/dinner. Lastly, whenever I steam veggies, I steam enough for the following day's lunch. This all saves a ton of time in the long run. The extra effort when I come home from the grocery store makes the week considerably easier to stay on track with eating.