PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Vid (updated 2/4/09)

cphafner
11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Haven't done deads consistently in over a year. I pulled some lower back muscles doing deads in May of 07. Everytime I start them back up my back goes back into fits. I have worked hard the last few months on fixing my muscle imbalances (lower abs and hips). I would like to start doing deads again. I never really did conventional deads, but I am using them more as a back exercise, so wanted to do convo instead of sumo. Feels like forever ago that I pulled 500...please share any form issues. Sorry it takes about 30 seconds before the first pull..

225*8
fq9PRDe5_3A

Travis Bell
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Actually it looks pretty darn good CP! Nice work. Only thing I noticed is you are up on your toes a lot, but I think that is more a result of the Saucony's. They have a pretty built up heel. Use some flat soled shoes if you have them, otherwise just deadlift in your socks

cphafner
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Actually it looks pretty darn good CP! Nice work. Only thing I noticed is you are up on your toes a lot, but I think that is more a result of the Saucony's. They have a pretty built up heel. Use some flat soled shoes if you have them, otherwise just deadlift in your socks

I agree on that point. I normally do them barefoot. Didn't today since the weight was pretty light. Thanks Travis.

Chubrock
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Any thoughts about keeping the reps low for awhile? Instead of a set of 8, what about 8 singles or 4 doubles? My back always had the biggest issue with resetting between reps. I agree with Travis though. Those looked pretty smooth.

cphafner
11-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Any thoughts about keeping the reps low for awhile? Instead of a set of 8, what about 8 singles or 4 doubles? My back always had the biggest issue with resetting between reps. I agree with Travis though. Those looked pretty smooth.

Chubs - I'm going to give DC training a shot. He calls for higher reps. I know Will had the same thoughts as you. Keep it on the lower rep range.

Chris Rodgers
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I agree with Travis about the shoes. Switch to flat sole or go barefoot. Other than that they looked solid!

View 1
11-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Looked fine to me, but im no pro. I have been squating and deadlifting for about 4-5 months now without shoes ( socks only ) and I prefer it over wearing shoes. Good luck on the DC training.

cphafner
11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree with Travis about the shoes. Switch to flat sole or go barefoot. Other than that they looked solid!

Thanks Chris. I'll post up some more when I start pushing the weight a bit. I'll make sure the shoes come off.

cphafner
11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Looked fine to me, but im no pro. I have been squating and deadlifting for about 4-5 months now without shoes ( socks only ) and I prefer it over wearing shoes. Good luck on the DC training.

Thanks. For deads it's normally chucks or barefoot. I was just rushing a bit yesterday.

cphafner
12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Here is an updated vid. 295*8. I know the straps will draw the ire of the pl'ers. Any comments on form? I was expecting 4-6, but it was lighter than expected. Will move back up to 3 wheels next time.

H6d4vacshtA

bill
12-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I guessing the form was good, looked good to me anyway. You made it look easy and seem to be really working on your form. My back just happens to be killing me today though.

joey54
12-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks pretty good to me.

View 1
12-12-2008, 07:28 PM
One thing I noticed from the first video to this one is how you are lowering the weight down. The first video its more one motion, the new video you lower the weight down with your upper body once the barebell gets about knee height you start dropping your legs more then. Again im no expert, but over all your form is very good, this could also be just to the fact that your deadlifting alot more weight then the first video.

Chris Rodgers
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
You have some good bodybuilder deadlift form. Very slow and controlled, engaging all the right muscles. I think this is exactly what you are going for, so I say bump the weight and do exactly what you've been doing.

When it's time to SFW, then I can give you my tips. :evillaugh:

PS- I have a big problem with the guy doing the overhead squats. WTF is that garbage? How do you do OH squats with an empty bar and cut them 4" above parallel? Weird. :tuttut:

cphafner
12-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Bill: Thanks man. Trying to keep the form tight so I don't reinjure my lower back.

Joey: Thanks dude.

View 1: Yeah I wasn't as tight on the way down. Good catch. I would probably benefit from just dropping the weight and not wasting energy on the way down.

CR: Thanks Chris. I am slowing adding more weight to the bar. I'll throw up some more vids in the future as it gets heavier to make sure I'm not getting sloppy. I had my tunnel vision on. I didn't even notice that guy during my set.

Travis Bell
12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Very nice CP! I agree with CR, your form is spot on for what you're trying to do. One of the hard parts about those hexagonal plates is that you can't pull the bar closer to you right before you start, so just make sure you have the bar close to your shins, but in the video it looked great to me.

Sometimes it seems to me that when guys are doing reps, their hips slowly get higher and higher at the beginning of each rep, but yours look like they are positioned pretty good.

Travis Bell
12-13-2008, 01:37 PM
PS- I have a big problem with the guy doing the overhead squats. WTF is that garbage? How do you do OH squats with an empty bar and cut them 4" above parallel? Weird. :tuttut:

Chris! Haven't you heard, its a new fed! Johnny Soreback got sick and tired of the politics involved in all of these federations making people put the bar on their back so he started the OSF (Overhead Squat Federation) The OSF doesn't feel that it makes much of a difference if you go deep or not and would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter. Other events in the OSF would include the Bosa Ball Deadlift, Behind the back wrist curl, and the calf raise.

Lones Green
12-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Chris! Haven't you heard, its a new fed! Johnny Soreback got sick and tired of the politics involved in all of these federations making people put the bar on their back so he started the OSF (Overhead Squat Federation) The OSF doesn't feel that it makes much of a difference if you go deep or not and would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter. Other events in the OSF would include the Bosa Ball Deadlift, Behind the back wrist curl, and the calf raise.

LOL! imagine what the numbers on the calf raise would be.

Buccos1
12-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Both of those sets looked good to me. Is that baby powder or chalk you are putting on your shins in the first video?

cphafner
12-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Both of those sets looked good to me. Is that baby powder or chalk you are putting on your shins in the first video?

Thanks. It was chalk. Not sure why I put it on there.

cphafner
01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Updated with today's work set. 315*8. I am slowly adding weight to the bar. Hope to get back up to work sets with 405+ on the bar in the medium term. This weight felt light, but I am wary of pushing too high too fast.

tPLkkVzg66Q

Painzer
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Nice work, they look good!

Jorge Sanchez
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Deads look really good. You're definitely looking bigger too.

cphafner
01-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Painzer: thanks man.

Jorge: Thanks. I put on about 10-15 lbs in the 4th quarter of 08. I hope to see similar results over the next 3 months.

Chris Rodgers
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Looks good CP. You definitely have plenty of strength left. Does this program have you pulling once every week?

mastermonster
01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm with everybody else. Your form looks good. The only thing I see that might be causing the back issue is the exaggerated hyperextention of the lower back at the top. As a powerlifter you wouldn't want to take it that far anyway because when you do it makes you break at the knee and you lose the lift with the judges if they look close. For your purposes it may be that you're doing it intentionally for the max contraction of the lower back, but it could be what is causing the back pain. If it doesn't interfere with your goal for the lift, try stopping it at your upright standing position. Just a shot in the dark at stopping the back issue. Good luck with your goal!

cphafner
01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm with everybody else. Your form looks good. The only thing I see that might be causing the back issue is the exaggerated hyperextention of the lower back at the top. As a powerlifter you wouldn't want to take it that far anyway because when you do it makes you break at the knee and you lose the lift with the judges if they look close. For your purposes it may be that you're doing it intentionally for the max contraction of the lower back, but it could be what is causing the back pain. If it doesn't interfere with your goal for the lift, try stopping it at your upright standing position. Just a shot in the dark at stopping the back issue. Good luck with your goal!

No that is a valid point. My last workout parter tried to get me to stop. Someone suggested the same thing in my journal. I'll try to keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

cphafner
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Looks good CP. You definitely have plenty of strength left. Does this program have you pulling once every week?

Each rotation takes two weeks, so I will do bent leg deads every two weeks. I am also doing SLDL's, so I will be doing one deadlift variation each week.

Rush126
01-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Hey man, u have great form. However, there is one comment or piece of adivce I would like to give you that has helped me get the most out of the deadlift. As I watched your videos, it reminds me of one mistake I use to make. When I began repping 375ish raw (no belt, straps etc.), I began to get serious lower back irratation. I researched the deadlift form, like I always do every couple months, and also had an expierenced body builder watch my deadlift. There was one part of the lift I was doing wrong. It was this: when you begin the deadlift, you should always be trying to look at the celing the whole entire time. This prevents your lower back from rounding. Since you use a lower back support belt, you have been oblivious to your lower back rounding untill you reached very heavy weight. The rule is in all powerlifts is this: the heavier you lift, the more perfect your form has to be. Back supports can only do so much. As you lift heavier, you must reanalyze your technique. I compliment your courage for posting videos on here and asking for honest opinions. However, the solution to your problem is this: you must look at the ceiling instead of looking straight foraward at the wall. This will causes less tension to be placed on your lower back. This will result in less injuries to your lower back and will reward you with personal record breaking deadlifts. I have also personally repped 405x 6 reps and have a max on deadlift of 470 lbs. raw...not many people do these lifts raw unless their on steriods (then they get these "personal injuries" which they try to make look natural...but their full of **** bc myself and many of my drug free friends who lift have never had any weight lifting injures...if a person who is as strong as **** gets an injury, thers a 75% chance there on steriods...think brian urlacher...natural genetic mutant who never took roids and has had 2 minor injures in his nfl career). My weight...185 lbs 6'1.5" (keep in mind that taller people have harder time deadliftin, squatin & benchin). Take my advice b/c I have been in your shoes bud.

Ben Moore
01-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey man, u have great form. However, there is one comment or piece of adivce I would like to give you that has helped me get the most out of the deadlift. As I watched your videos, it reminds me of one mistake I use to make. When I began repping 375ish raw (no belt, straps etc.), I began to get serious lower back irratation. I researched the deadlift form, like I always do every couple months, and also had an expierenced body builder watch my deadlift. There was one part of the lift I was doing wrong. It was this: when you begin the deadlift, you should always be trying to look at the celing the whole entire time. This prevents your lower back from rounding. Since you use a lower back support belt, you have been oblivious to your lower back rounding untill you reached very heavy weight. The rule is in all powerlifts is this: the heavier you lift, the more perfect your form has to be. Back supports can only do so much. As you lift heavier, you must reanalyze your technique. I compliment your courage for posting videos on here and asking for honest opinions. However, the solution to your problem is this: you must look at the ceiling instead of looking straight foraward at the wall. This will causes less tension to be placed on your lower back. This will result in less injuries to your lower back and will reward you with personal record breaking deadlifts. I have also personally repped 405x 6 reps and have a max on deadlift of 470 lbs. raw...not many people do these lifts raw unless their on steriods (then they get these "personal injuries" which they try to make look natural...but their full of **** bc myself and many of my drug free friends who lift have never had any weight lifting injures...if a person who is as strong as **** gets an injury, thers a 75% chance there on steriods...think brian urlacher...natural genetic mutant who never took roids and has had 2 minor injures in his nfl career). My weight...185 lbs 6'1.5" (keep in mind that taller people have harder time deadliftin, squatin & benchin). Take my advice b/c I have been in your shoes bud.
This is epic...

Chalky Palms
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
This is epic...

LOL i agree....

Jorge Sanchez
01-06-2009, 06:50 AM

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

joey54
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
This is epic...

Epic fail for sure Ben.

Chris Rodgers
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
He probably got all that info on the internetz, so it's gotta be true! :omg:

Does that mean that I am on the sauce? :confused: I better get checked out.

Can't wait to see the next update CP. I wanna see 365 on there soon!

lenny spero
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
:ninja:

cphafner
01-07-2009, 08:53 PM

I'm sorry, I know you are trying to be helpful, but I can't help myself

wKjxFJfcrcA

Travis Bell
01-07-2009, 09:03 PM
HAHAHAHA great post CP I love that movie

Jorge Sanchez
01-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm sorry, I know you are trying to be helpful, but I can't help myself

wKjxFJfcrcA

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB.

AJL11
01-08-2009, 06:42 AM

Agreed..hahahahahahahahaha

Chris Rodgers
01-08-2009, 04:10 PM

I was just going to post the same thing.

:bow:

cphafner
01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I was just going to post the same thing.

:bow:

:hello: I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard when I posted this.

hellagrant
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
:hello: I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard when I posted this.

That was an epic reply. Nice job.

cphafner
02-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Back on topic. Here is a new session bit heavier. 355*6. I tried to not over extend at the top like some posters pointed out. I felt like I had a bit of upper back rounding on the last couple. I do have DB rows in this current w/o cycle to help with upper back strength. Keep the good tips coming! Sorry on the delay at the start of the vid. Damn ipod got in the way.

M08OYr-rFa0

Chris Rodgers
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Ok, did we need the crotch shot at the end? :tuttut:

Still looks easy. You weren't rounding, don't worry about it.

joey54
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
How does the lower back feel today CP?

Benny Jackson
02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I haven't put any gear on yet so I can't say for sure that my lower back is "better". Normally my lower back starts to get "weird" from squatting in full gear.

But I have heard that tight hip flexers can pull on your lower back and aggravate it. I have been stretching twice a week, groin, hip flexers, ham strings, etc... And things seem much better for me.

Also, I see on the way down your lowering the weight in a somewhat controlled manner. Someone that just started training with us was lowering the weight in an even more controlled manner than you. He was advised to go with the bar, but just kinda let it fall. But maybe that has to do more with expending energy, but I am pretty sure it was also mentioned that it can put extra stress on the lower back.

But I have been training for like 4 days, so post the Billy Madison video for me now. :p

cphafner
02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Chris - Don't act like your not impressed. Haha...I didn't even notice that shot. Thanks for the words.

Joey - It's ok. My hips are more sore than anything.

Benny - I would agree with what you said. I focus on ham, glute, and hip stretching/foam rolling atleast 3 times a week. Makes a big difference on the lower back.

joey54
02-07-2009, 07:38 AM
That looked really easy CP. Go up to 4 plates next workout and rip it up.