PDA

View Full Version : How important are "good" calories vs. "bad" calories??

Painzer
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Let's say there is a situation where a person is trying to bulk, with a goal of 4000 calories per day. The person is on the smaller side (like me) and doesn't gain weight very easily...

What if at the end of the day you are at 3600 calories, and can't dream of stomaching another protein shake or anything solid for that matter.

Would it be beneficial to eat a bowl of ice cream (or something equally as unhealthy) or would you just be better off sticking with 3600 calories for the day?

Progress
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Ice cream isn't something I consider "bad" calories per se. It's when you intake a ton of refined carbs, sat. and trans. fats above your maintenance calories that you may run into trouble. This is coming from more of a general health standpoint as opposed to bodybuilding.

Brad08
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
What if at the end of the day you are at 3600 calories, and can't dream of stomaching another protein shake or anything solid for that matter.

Would it be beneficial to eat a bowl of ice cream (or something equally as unhealthy) or would you just be better off sticking with 3600 calories for the day?

YOU'D BETTER EAT THAT ICE CREAM, SON.

Hands down. No Questions Asked. Calories are calories. If you don't get them, you won't grow. Simple as that.

Sit your skinny ass down, get your spoon, and start shoveling it in, no questions asked. Ice cream works great and tastes awesome. Nothing will magically happen to you except you will start to grow. Some of it will be muscle and some will be fat. That's the nature of growth.

Another must-have item is peanut butter. Need some calories? Pile it on the nearest loaf of bread and wash it down with whole milk. Then go nighty night and wake up swole.

Painzer
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Great, those are the answers I'm looking for.

I'm currently doing 3300 calories today, but starting next week will be jumping to 4000. I'm 160 in the morning 162 at night. I'd like to be 170 by the new year but not fat).

I'm going to professional Umpire school and I feel like I need to be bigger. They generally don't like shorter guys (I'm 5'8) but I figure if I'm at least filled out, it'll be better than short and scrawny.

RhodeHouse
11-04-2008, 02:38 PM
You should be 170 in a month, let alone by the end of the year.

Jorge Sanchez
11-04-2008, 02:41 PM
YOU'D BETTER EAT THAT ICE CREAM, SON.

Hands down. No Questions Asked. Calories are calories. If you don't get them, you won't grow. Simple as that.

Sit your skinny ass down, get your spoon, and start shoveling it in, no questions asked. Ice cream works great and tastes awesome. Nothing will magically happen to you except you will start to grow. Some of it will be muscle and some will be fat. That's the nature of growth.

Another must-have item is peanut butter. Need some calories? Pile it on the nearest loaf of bread and wash it down with whole milk. Then go nighty night and wake up swole.

Damn straight.

Sometimes I even eat the PB right out of the jar with a few nice big glasses of milk.

Notorious
11-04-2008, 04:05 PM
It would be better to eat some real food so you eventually get used to that intake. Even if you feel like throwing up. Just don't actually throw up, or you're gonna have to eat more to compensate.

Steven001
11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I wish PB tasted good...

Painzer
11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
You should be 170 in a month, let alone by the end of the year.

I hope so. But it needs to be muscle mass by the end of the year!

RhodeHouse
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I hope so. But it needs to be muscle mass by the end of the year!

Gotta gain fat to gain muscle.

T FLEX
11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Ice cream isn't bad for you in itself. Even saturated fats aren't necessarily bad for you if consumed in moderation. Unless you are predisposed to having health issues or the rest of your diet looks like crap, you would most likely have to eat a lot of ice cream to cause any damage. Grab a spoon and eat up!

WillNoble
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM

If more people only realized this, there would be an end to the overabundance of pencil necks complaining about "can't gain weight" in forums such as these

ZenMonkey
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I wish PB tasted good...

:omg:Blasphemy

bass slayer
11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I wish PB tasted good...

It does!!!:tuttut:

Painzer
11-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Oh I know that, I'm slowly gaining... I was 164.5 today. heaviest I've ever been...

Irish Pilot
11-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I wish PB tasted good...

:omg::mad::windup:

liftstuff
11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
are you really 160 and bench 250, squat 295 and dead 295? I find that insanely hard to believe.. if thats the case im severely disapointed at myself.. check my stats below.. oh btw not trying to hijack thread.

RhodeHouse
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
If more people only realized this, there would be an end to the overabundance of pencil necks complaining about "can't gain weight" in forums such as these

True, brother. Very true.

Bring me a glass of hot fat.

anonymous1
11-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Eat the ice cream. Worry about obsessing over health after you've reached your weight gain goals...this is only maybe 6 months out of your life.

evnp85
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
are you really 160 and bench 250, squat 295 and dead 295? I find that insanely hard to believe.. if thats the case im severely disapointed at myself.. check my stats below.. oh btw not trying to hijack thread.

I believe it. I weigh 188, 5'9" and my 1rm on bench is 305, which is a similar ratio as the OP. I saw a guy who was 160lbs throw up 315 for 4 reps. Some people are just naturally able to bench more.

Edit: I'm sure there are people on here who can lift 2x their body weight.

BulldogGST2
11-11-2008, 12:17 PM
i know when i put on 25lbs over a summer i hardly gained any fat. keep your calories primarily clean but have some cheat meals here and there. the key is to find the right amount of calories to gain, but not go too far over that or you will just put on fat.