PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of cutting 25-30lbs and...

Andre518
11-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I was wondering what are the chances of cutting 25-30lbs and keeping my strength the same? What would be the best way to cut this fat and keep at least most of my current strength between now and mid January?

Tom Mutaffis
11-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Are you trying to cut this weight for a specific event?

There are ways to manipulate bodyweight that work well for powerlifting and strongman if you are talking about strength sports.

If you are just trying to lose 25-30 lbs and maintain your strength levels at that bodyweight that would be tough considering that amount of weight loss in a two month period is pretty drastic.

Andre518
11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Right now about 270 and want to do a PL meet in the 242 class but want to keep my number where they are.

Unreal
11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I've dropped 50lbs in the past 7-8 months, and my bench press, military press, curls, rows are all up. Squat and deads are down. Seems like some lifts suffer more.

Tom Mutaffis
11-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Matt Kroc has a lot of info out there regarding dropping weight for a specific event, I have also dropped close to 20 lbs for a 24 hour weigh in (and some PL meets are even 48 hour weigh in depending on the event).

Your best bet is to look into diets that will help you to reduce bodyfat - something like the anabolic diet, south beach diet (modified), etc. and try to drop about 5-10 lbs of bodyfat in that time. Increase cardio adding in three to four (20) minute sessions per week to speed up your metabolism. If you can get to within 15-20 lbs by game day then you can make weight through water manipulation and dehydration without sacrificing any strength after you re-feed.

I wouldn't suggest drastic measures like this to someone who is doing the sport as a hobby or is a recreational lifter but there is no way that you would be able to drop that kind of weight in that short of a time period, have your body adjust, and still perform well.

Through disciplined diet and training a friend of mine Mike Gill went from 280 lbs down to around 240 lbs over a period of a little under 60 months and was able to use moderate water manipulation to drop under 231.5 for a LW strongman contest where he dominated and won his pro card.

Post your diet, let's get that strait and then let's make sure your training is in order. Supplements are important, and with all of those on track it is realistic that you can be walking around at 255-260 lbs in January and make weight at 242 lbs with a 24 hour weigh in.

Irish Pilot
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Very very possible. Ive found that undertrained people are slightly overparanoid about muscle loss during a cut. For someone who is a competitive bodybuilder and every bit counts...sure, or a competitive lifter for strength, absolutely; but for the rest of us wannabes just follow the advice out there and let the cards fall. Worry more about healthy weight loss and the rest will fall into place. The key I think is losing the normal ~2lbs a week.

This past spring I lost 35lbs by tons of cardio (all different forms) and hitting the weights. I tried everything diet wise, keto, velocity etc. I did a bodpod (http://www.bodpod.com/applications/athleticsAppBodpod) eval before and after the diet and out of just over 35lbs lost only .47lbs was non-fat tissue (muscle). My lifts stayed the same, some went up.

Do the research of course on how to fight catabolism (lots of protein, LISS or HIIT cardio, etc.) but dont get too bent out of shape about it...my opinion anyway.

Silverhawk
11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
See Mike Wolfe's pro journal. He's lost 120 lbs. so far, and his strength hasn't diminished much at all.

Lones Green
11-07-2008, 07:12 PM
listen to Tom on this one. just know when cutting water, everyone's body responds differently. you might experiment with cutting a smaller number and seeing how your body reacts.

Travis Bell
11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah if you plan on cutting that in water weight to make weigh in's for a meet, I really wouldn't recommend that. If you aren't experienced in cutting weight it can be a royal pain in the neck. UPA, IPA, APF, APA all have 24hr weigh ins. Most others will have 2hr weigh ins. The 48hr weigh in was used in the WPO and has since died with the WPO, which is probably a good thing.

If however, you are planning on slowly dropping that weight with the idea of keeping it off, chances are your lifts will go down at least a little, but you can most certainly build back up to them.

anonymous1
11-08-2008, 08:36 AM
You should be able to increase and at least maintain all lifts during a cut. If you can't up until maybe the last 4 weeks then you have gone too low on calories or just not set things up properly.