PDA

View Full Version : is there any such thing as over eating

bass slayer
11-04-2008, 12:40 PM
i have been reading around on the forum and i just have to ask it. Is there any way i could eat to much and gain more fat then muscle? I dont think it will be a problem for me because i have a hard time getting enough anyway, but i just need to know.

hellagrant
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Of course man. But I think for most guys on this forum, they have a hard time gaining weight period, so gaining more fat than muscle is probably out of the question.

Look at the fat people around you (I am assumming you are American). They over eat and because they don't do any excercise, they gain tons of fat and no muscle.

Holto
11-04-2008, 12:50 PM
i have been reading around on the forum and i just have to ask it. Is there any way i could eat to much and gain more fat then muscle?

Absolutely.

To me, the biggest downside to this, is the time lost cutting when you could be gaining.

RhodeHouse
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
No such thing as overeating, just undertraining.

smalls
11-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Absolutely.

To me, the biggest downside to this, is the time lost cutting when you could be gaining.

Agreed, but this only applies to people that actually care about what they look like and their health.

Everyone has a maintanence level, eat more than that and you will gain weight. Eat way more than that and you will just put on more fat. Look at lee priest, awesome genetics and drugs and he still puts on way more fat than muscle in his past offseasons due to eating way above his maintanence level. Which is exaclty what happens to most people who have actually put on a significant amount of muscle and continue to try and make progress at the same rate they once did.

Most people on this board are at an early stage in development and have plenty of muscle to put on before they worry about any of the small details.

Holto
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Agreed, but this only applies to people that actually care about what they look like and their health.

It's the law of diminishing returns. Every calorie above maintenance yields less gains. You can't gain 5lbs of LBM per day. So if you're gaining 5lbs per day, you're wasting your time. No amount of training can capitalize on that. I've seen a few young BB's blow a bulk by overeating while their training intensity and discipline was spectacular. It's a mistake I'd hate to see anyone make. I've seen people over cut and lose LBM and gain it back in a few weeks after their cut, it's a different side of the coin.

The other dimension is a moderate bulk that runs a long time. Carrying all that extra fat you've slowly gained impacts your insulin sensitivity and makes bulking less effective. At this point, it's time to cut. So if you get there quicker than need be, you've wasted time.

My point is that there is definitely a reality of over eating. If you're gaining 5lbs of fat to 1lb of LBM, you're costing yourself time & results at some point down the road.

Eat way more than that and you will just put on more fat.

So is this not overeating? (Regardless of concerns of vanity or health.)

AJ_H
11-06-2008, 03:07 PM

precisely

Daone
11-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Are you for real? Of course there is such things as over eating. I don't care how much you train if you go about eating fried foods, candy, fast foods, junk foods etc etc you will start getting fat.

WillNoble
11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Are you for real? Of course there is such things as over eating. I don't care how much you train if you go about eating fried foods, candy, fast foods, junk foods etc etc you will start getting fat.

calm the f**k down. Most of the pro PL guys on here consume MASSIVE quantities of food every day, coupled with intense training and guess what... They get bigger and stronger.

Amazing how that works eh?

Daone
11-06-2008, 04:56 PM
calm the f**k down. Most of the pro PL guys on here consume MASSIVE quantities of food every day, coupled with intense training and guess what... They get bigger and stronger.

Sh11t man I keep forgetting this is a PL site. So yeah I notice a lot of fatasses getting stronger :eek:

J/K I know man, I am just saying you can't just eat a lot of just anything, unless you really do not care about gaining too much fat, which the majority of people don't want.

Invain
11-06-2008, 04:58 PM

What makes you think the OP is even a powerlifter? He's obviously concerned about gaining too much fat, did you even read his post? Maybe you should stick to the McDonald's threads.

Daone
11-06-2008, 05:03 PM
What makes you think the OP is even a powerlifter? He's obviously concerned about gaining too much fat, did you even read his post? Maybe you should stick to the McDonald's threads.

There are McDonald threads here? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WillNoble
11-06-2008, 05:07 PM

And maybe you should piss off back to Ann Arbor somewhere ( I hear she's a whore anyway)

To answer your question however, what makes you think he isnt, he asked about gaining size and overeating. Seems to me most powerlifters are right at home with both...

enjoy your dorm :hello:

Invain
11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
LOL! What? I live in an apartment?

Honestly dude there's no point in arguing this pointless ****. Look at his sig, his goal is 200 lbs.

WillNoble
11-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Honestly dude there's no point in arguing this pointless ****. Look at his sig, his goal is 200 lbs.

The dorm thing was a joke...

seriously Invain this might be the smartest thing you've ever said...

moving on

WillNoble
11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Sh11t man I keep forgetting this is a PL site. So yeah I notice a lot of fatasses getting stronger :eek:

J/K I know man, I am just saying you can't just eat a lot of just anything, unless you really do not care about gaining too much fat, which the majority of people don't want.

no worries man, no offense taken

Brad08
11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
oh geeez....HUGS!

RhodeHouse
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM

Yup. I'm for real. Sorry, it's that simple, little man. Train harder and get your fat ass in shape and you can eat whatever you want. Tried and true, proven by champions everywhere. Guess you're not a champ.

RhodeHouse
11-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Fatasses? Watch yourself little man.

RhodeHouse
11-07-2008, 08:47 AM

You again? SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Eat something.

deeder
11-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Yup. I'm for real. Sorry, it's that simple, little man. Train harder and get your fat ass in shape and you can eat whatever you want. Tried and true, proven by champions everywhere. Guess you're not a champ.

Fatasses? Watch yourself little man.

You again? SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Eat something.

There's this amazing little button right beside the QUOTE button. It looks like a little plus sign and it allows you to select multiple posts to quote. It's really quite incredible. It lets you reply to more than one post without spamming the board with your useless "EAT!!!!!!!" posts...

Amazingly Rhodes, not everyone wants to be a SHW and not everyone wants to be a fatty. Even you it would seem.... (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/rhodestown.htm)

Daone
11-07-2008, 09:32 AM

Are you calling me little AND Fat? Please enlighten me.

Oh and by the way is that YOU in the AV? LMFAO!!

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Oh and by the way is that YOU in the AV? LMFAO!!

your laughing at a 900+lb. competition squat?

Daone
11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
your laughing at a 900+lb. competition squat?

No not at all I am laughing at his physique. I never laugh at anyones strength. But he said I was small and fat, I would like to see what type of physique he brings to the table if he is calling me out like that.

I am more than sure he would destroy me on every lift but not once did he say ?"Ohh but you are not as strong as me" He said quote on quote "Little and fat"

I been training too long and have worked hard on my physique to have some PL tell me I am fat and small :D :D

Ben Moore
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Amazingly Rhodes, not everyone wants to be a SHW and not everyone wants to be a fatty. Even you it would seem.... (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/rhodestown.htm)
No where in that article did he say he was cutting weight. If anything he said he wanted to put on more muscle.

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 11:35 AM
No not at all I am laughing at his physique. I never laugh at anyones strength. But he said I was small and fat, I would like to see what type of physique he brings to the table if he is calling me out like that.

I am more than sure he would destroy me on every lift but not once did he say ?"Ohh but you are not as strong as me" He said quote on quote "Little and fat"

I been training too long and have worked hard on my physique to have some PL tell me I am fat and small :D :D

maybe not fat...but DEF. small

Holto
11-07-2008, 12:50 PM

So if he added 40lbs of fat to his existing physique, is he still small?

Daone
11-07-2008, 01:00 PM

Hmm by what standards? If you are referring to pro-bodybuilder, than hell yeah I am small, but please please do not compare me to some PL type of build, because quite frankly that is NOT the look I am striving for.

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
So if he added 40lbs of fat to his existing physique, is he still small?

@ 5'8" and sub-200lbs. he is small...

Ben Moore is 5'8"-5'10" and edging 300lbs.

Reko has packed on just shy of 250 very lean pounds on his 5'8" frame

Jim Laird (my former training partner) was at an offseason weight of 305lbs. and competed at 242lbs. and sub 10% bodyfat and was 5'7" - 5'8"

to reiterate my initial point... 5'8" and sub-200 is small