PDA

View Full Version : New to the sport

yellowtail1
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I am new to powerlifting and am hoping to get some help with a workout routine. I have spoken to friends that do bodybuilding and they have offered suggestions but I would like input from people that focus on powerlifting. If anyone has a workout plan and they use and would be willing to share it I would appreciate it (warm up, reps, etc.).

As far as current numbers they are not impressive by any means (bench 205, deadlift 250, squat 225) oddly enough I can shrug 615. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and input.

BigTallOx
11-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I am new to powerlifting and am hoping to get some help with a workout routine. I have spoken to friends that do bodybuilding and they have offered suggestions but I would like input from people that focus on powerlifting. If anyone has a workout plan and they use and would be willing to share it I would appreciate it (warm up, reps, etc.).

Google Westside barbell conjugate method. It's a template that uses max effort and dynamic effort workouts and along with accessory exercises to build core strength and strengthen your weaknesses.

As far as current numbers they are not impressive by any means (bench 205, deadlift 250, squat 225) oddly enough I can shrug 615. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and input.

There is a thread about the shrugs in the bodybuilding section. I have my opinions about them, your comment kind of supports my feelings. Anyway do them if you want (snip, nevermind)

TheVrolok
11-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Pick up a copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 2nd Edition. One of the best, if not the best, books you can read.

brihead301
11-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Pick up a copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 2nd Edition. One of the best, if not the best, books you can read.

That's a great idea to build up a strong strength base as quickly as possible. Basically, this just has you adding weight every workout. The book explains in great detail how to perform all of the best strength building exercises.

After you stall on this though, which shouldn't happen for a few months, Westside is supposedly the best powerlifting template there is. I have no experience with it, but most of the top guys on this board will recommend it to you.

The SS novice program is just the fastest way to make the most efficient use of your time when you are still capable of getting much stronger very quickly.