PDA

View Full Version : massage before maxing?

Averof
11-05-2008, 12:01 AM
is it wise to get a massage just a day or 2 before you're attempting maxes?

gonna go for new prs next week and i wouldn't be able to go for a massage till sat/sun

shoulders and upperback been getting pretty tight and i want to get them worked on a bit to help with my flexibility for my olympic lifts

thanks

Lones Green
11-05-2008, 03:21 AM
you could try it. whats the worst thing that could go wrong? no new PR? its just training.

just be careful if you get helga with the big ass hands, and you get some kind of deep tissue massage, you can be sore for days from those.

Sensei
11-05-2008, 06:04 AM
As with any new restorative measure (or exercise), I'd give your body time to get used to it.

You'll probably feel better but I wouldn't expect mind-blowing numbers. Personally, I usually perform much worse in the gym for a while after a good (professional) massage - if I was getting massages all the time, things might be different however.

Ben Moore
11-05-2008, 07:05 AM
As with any new restorative measure (or exercise), I'd give your body time to get used to it.

You'll probably feel better but I wouldn't expect mind-blowing numbers. Personally, I usually perform much worse in the gym for a while after a good (professional) massage - if I was getting massages all the time, things might be different however.

I'm the same. I usually don't expect to do anything heavy for at least 72 hours after a good deep tissue massage.

Ryan Celli
11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
if you get them on a regular basis, I think 2 days would be fine for a training day. I've had one done on a Sunday afternoon and squatted Monday night with no problems. It all depends on how often you get them. If it is your first one and your really knotted up, you will be sore for 2-3 days.

Personally, if I had a meet coming up, I would leave about 5 days in between the massage and the meet.

Good luck, Ryan

WhateverItTakes
11-05-2008, 11:00 AM
If you are not use to getting deep dissue massages then I would take it easy with lifting pretty soon after a massage. Deep tissue massages release a great deal of pent up toxins within the body, so make sure you drink plenty of water after and see how you feel. That's just my .02

Averof
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
thanks for the advice

ya i have only gotten a massage once and that was 2 years ago on my lower back.. i had been thinking about doing it for a few weeks now and i just coincidentally decided on it the week im gonna break some prs..

so i think i'll hold off another week then..

thanks

Silverhawk
11-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I always get a deep tissue massage on the Wednesday just before a Saturday meet. I'll feel pretty beat up on Thursday, but by Saturday I feel GREAT. I agree that the key is to drink a ton of water after the massage to flush out the accumulated toxins.