PDA

View Full Version : Soups

Andre518
11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Whats up guys with the cold weather coming Im looking for some good recipes for high protein soups or stews. Thanks in advance.

Balbumperchunk
11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Chicken Soup or Beef Vegetable soup:

Get a big pot.

64 oz. chicken broth (for chicken soup);
OR
40 oz vegetable broth AND 24 oz beef broth = 64 oz. (for beef vegetable soup) (sometimes the beef broth is too overpowering so I found substituting vegetable broth helps).

2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
1 can corn OR peas OR cut green beans (14.5 oz) un-drained, OR a combination of each.
A cup or so of uncooked rice or noodles (for the chicken soup)
Approximately 2 lbs. chicken (for chicken soup)
OR
Approximately 2 lbs. ground beef (for beef soup)
1 can of tomatoes 28 oz (diced or sauce) (for beef soup only)

Sorry, the above ingredients are just approximations at this point. The main thing is these soups are THICK. They donít just have broth with protein and veggies thrown in as an afterthought. Theyíre very hearty. Iíve been making them for years and donít even measure anything anymore. I usually bring the whole thing to a boil then let it simmer for at least an hour or more until the carrots are soft. Stir periodically (every 15 minutes or so?)

For the chicken broth, instead of just buying broth from the grocery store, I usually use broth left over from when Iíve cooked chicken. But either is fine.
I also add seasonings like garlic powder, pepper, seasoned salt, oregano, basil, or whatever else I feel like adding. Just a little and keep doing taste tests. It also helps to have extra bouillon cubes of chicken or beef for flavoring if needed.

I make this stuff year round. It's a great supplement to my supper. The above makes about a gallon and a half. Sometimes I'll put half in my freezer and eat the other half over a few days.

Iíll get back to you on some stews. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the above or need clarification, just ask.

Ben Moore
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
My Chili

3lbs ground chuck (or sirloin cubes)
4 cans dark red kidney beans
4 cans diced tomatoes (or fresh if you prefer)
2 chopped onions
2 chopped bell peppers
4 tbs chili powder
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs black pepper
jalapenos, habeneros, or hot sauce to taste

Brown meat with the onions and bell peppers. Add in remaining ingredients and let simmer for 1 hour. You can also add one good beer for a little more flavor if you'd like.

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Kentucky Burgoo (Kentucky Derby & Keenland Tradition)

3 pound mixed cooked meats... I prefer beef stew meat, shredded chicken breast, Venison (If I can get it), and shredded pork
1 gallon chicken stock
1/2 gallon beef stock
1 ounce Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 large potato, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1/2 cup okra
1/2 cup lima beans
1 cup yellow corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, skimming the top as needed.

bertjo44
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Brunswick Stew

2 whole chickens, rubbed, smoked, shredded
1 lb ground pork, smoked, crumbled
1 lb of pulled pork
32 oz frozen hashbrowns
56 oz crushed tomatos
32 oz chicken broth
16 oz water
1 can lima beans
1 can corn
2 cans cream style corn
1 med onion
3 cloves crushed garlic
3 pieces bacon, crumbled (then saute garlic and onion in drippings and add to pot)
3 tbls bbq sauce
3 tblsp worceshire sauce
2 tblsp hot sauce (I used Franks)
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 2 - 4 hours. This makes a lot, either for a party or to freeze for multiple meals.

Andre518
11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Awesome thanks guy Ill be sure to give all these a try!

jpw204
11-08-2008, 07:48 AM
O Lawd, I want to make all of these right now!

Brad08
11-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Soups and stews are awesome. You can make a giant batch and have a lot of leftovers and you can pack it with protein, fiber, and healthy vegetables. I do a decent chicken & bean soup where I toss a whole chicken in a big crock pot with plenty of veggies, spices, and pre-soaked lima beans, simmer for hours, then pull the meat off the bone later that day and put it back it the soup.

10.5 Dave
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Chicken Soup or Beef Vegetable soup:

Get a big pot.

64 oz. chicken broth (for chicken soup);
OR
40 oz vegetable broth AND 24 oz beef broth = 64 oz. (for beef vegetable soup) (sometimes the beef broth is too overpowering so I found substituting vegetable broth helps).

2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
1 can corn OR peas OR cut green beans (14.5 oz) un-drained, OR a combination of each.
A cup or so of uncooked rice or noodles (for the chicken soup)
Approximately 2 lbs. chicken (for chicken soup)
OR
Approximately 2 lbs. ground beef (for beef soup)
1 can of tomatoes 28 oz (diced or sauce) (for beef soup only)

Sorry, the above ingredients are just approximations at this point. The main thing is these soups are THICK. They donít just have broth with protein and veggies thrown in as an afterthought. Theyíre very hearty. Iíve been making them for years and donít even measure anything anymore. I usually bring the whole thing to a boil then let it simmer for at least an hour or more until the carrots are soft. Stir periodically (every 15 minutes or so?)

I made the chicken version of this last night for 7 people.Doubled the recipe and used 5 lbs of chicken breast and chicken stock instead of broth.It was freaking awesome and very filling.I had a little left over this morning and mixed it with my German Shepherds dry food and he liked it too.

Good eatin my friend........

Balbumperchunk
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I made the chicken version of this last night for 7 people.Doubled the recipe and used 5 lbs of chicken breast and chicken stock instead of broth.It was freaking awesome and very filling.I had a little left over this morning and mixed it with my German Shepherds dry food and he liked it too.

Good eatin my friend........

Glad it worked out for you. I just emptied the last out of my freezer this week so I'll need to make up another big batch this weekend.

manowar669
12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Hard to beat chili for what we want out of it. Beef stew, with tons of beef is probably second.