PDA

View Full Version : front squat from bottom up

TJM
11-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I been doing lots of front squats to improve deadlift. I saw a video of a guy doing a squat from the bottom postion (i.e. you start squating instead of standing) and was thinking of trying to front squat like this. I figure it might be a good way to build the kind of explosivness needed for the deadlift a little differently from normal front squats or front box squats.

thewicked
11-05-2008, 11:47 AM
maybe though you'd have to play with the setup..

zercher squats are where it's at! ;)

ZenMonkey
11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Just improve DL in general or something specific?

Lones Green
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
sort of like anderson front squats?

i would go with zercher squats from pins as well

TJM
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Just improve DL in general or something specific?

yea, just improve DL.

I've never tried zercher squats, they look goofy and I don't really feel like they would have much transfer ...but I've never done them so maybe i should try them.

TJM
11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
sort of like anderson front squats?

i would go with zercher squats from pins as well

I guess someone named anderson had the idea first.. yea, exactly like those.

Matthew White
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
TJM!!! Zerchers have a HUGE carryover to DL. Even more so than front squatting. They use the quads the same amount as front squats do, they overload the glutes as well, and have slightly more forward pull on the hip erectors. If I were you after you max next time, swap your front squats for zerchers, then see how the carryover adds to your max.

TJM
11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
TJM!!! Zerchers have a HUGE carryover to DL. Even more so than front squatting. They use the quads the same amount as front squats do, they overload the glutes as well, and have slightly more forward pull on the hip erectors. If I were you after you max next time, swap your front squats for zerchers, then see how the carryover adds to your max.

sounds good, i will try them then.