PDA

View Full Version : Another Critique, deadlifts

Painzer
11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Please critique my dead lifts. Any and all criticism is welcome. :) Thanks in advance.

rjs2t3cb7I8

Ben Moore
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Get a vid of some heavier weights. There's not much to tell from that video.

cphafner
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm no expert, but looks like your hips are coming up first and almost turning it into a SLDL.

Painzer
11-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Get a vid of some heavier weights. There's not much to tell from that video.

I just figured I should learn the proper form before I went heavier...

ZenMonkey
11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Right, it looks like a modified SLDL. Also its a DEADlift. The weight needs to be dead on the ground before each rep.

Try looking up to maintain a small arch in your back.

Lastly, pull the bar up your shins and thighs- PULL BACK

Painzer
11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Ok, thanks for the responses, but I'll be honest. I don't see much of a difference between mine and cp's that were recently posted, other than a little difference in back arch...

I put them side by side and they look very similar...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117515

cphafner
11-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I'll let the smarter people critique b/n us. I normally aim for "big chest", shoulders back, leg drive, and then finish by pushing the hips through to finish. Probably saying any of that right.

Painzer
11-05-2008, 09:23 PM
CP, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downgrade your lift. In fact I watched your video a bunch of times because the guys said it looked good. That's all.

And I do appreciate the advice. You guys are the experts, not me.

ZenMonkey
11-05-2008, 09:24 PM
hqxim0YXr90
pjBI9qxibTc

Painzer
11-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm no expert, but looks like your hips are coming up first and almost turning it into a SLDL.

I though the first movement was at the hips??

What should be the first thing to move??

Painzer
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
hqxim0YXr90

I've watched both those videos like 5 times. I'm having a hard time distinguishing what I'm doing differently, that's all...

Travis Bell
11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
CP's dead on. Your upper back seems really rounded Painzer. CP is right, that the cue should be to push your chest out, get those shoulder blades together. I would also agree that your hips are comming up just a little too quick, but that may more stem from you letting the bar get too far in front of you. Keep the bar close, butt down and push that chest out.

Certainly not the worst deadlift form I've ever seen. Deadlifting is hard to get down, but once you do its second nature

cphafner
11-05-2008, 09:32 PM
that the cue should be to push your chest out, get those shoulder blades together.

My workout partner was the first to really show my shoulder blade thing. It was a real awakening in dead form.

Travis Bell
11-05-2008, 09:33 PM
LOL are you looking to your left while you're deadlifting? If you are, make sure to keep looking straight ahead and a little up. Your legs should almost be the last part to lock out. Meaning your hips should be locking out just about the same time as your legs, not way before

Painzer
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, thanks. That's what I needed to know. I did look left at a few points because there was a side mirror over there and I was trying to see if my butt was getting down to where I thought it needed to be.

Painzer
11-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Meaning your hips should be locking out just about the same time as your legs, not way before

ok. But also if you look at the second video that Zen posted, the first girl and the dude with the black backwards hat, you see that their legs lock way early...

that's why I'm getting mixed opinions on what a dead lift should look like.

Jorge Sanchez
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I though the first movement was at the hips??

What should be the first thing to move??

Knees then hips.

Like the others said, shoulders back, chest out.

Travis Bell
11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
ok. But also if you look at the second video that Zen posted, the first girl and the dude with the black backwards hat, you see that their legs lock way early...

that's why I'm getting mixed opinions on what a dead lift should look like.

this is what your deadlift should look like, aside from Greg's slightly rounded upper back which is more of an effect of the deadlift suit rather than poor form.

FqDXQ7T2YXw

Travis Bell
11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
notice how his knees lock out just a second or two before his hips do

Painzer
11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Ok, but I also noticed that the first thing to move was his hips...

TheVrolok
11-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Ok, but I also noticed that the first thing to move was his hips...

What they mean by your hips coming up first is that you look like you're locking your knees out (thus the references to SLDL) way before you lock out your hips. In reality, you should lock both out about the same time.

NightStorm
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Painzer,

Check out this vid of pro John Bernor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPmYpxqBVG0

MNRob
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Painzer

Your form is "good" it will get better with practice. Think about pushing your heels through the floor to start the lift, once the weight is off the ground and moving pull back by digging your heels into the ground and "pushing" back with your feet.

It sounds weird but if you imagine the deadlift starting with your lower back you are going to get that SLDL motion more often than not, if you push down and back with your heals you will get the correct motion and drag that bar up your shins and thighs, no blood, you did it wrong!!!!:moon:

cphafner
11-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Painzer

Your form is "good" it will get better with practice. Think about pushing your heels through the floor to start the lift, once the weight is off the ground and moving pull back by digging your heels into the ground and "pushing" back with your feet.

It sounds weird but if you imagine the deadlift starting with your lower back you are going to get that SLDL motion more often than not, if you push down and back with your heals you will get the correct motion and drag that bar up your shins and thighs, no blood, you did it wrong!!!!:moon:

Never heard to do that before. Sounds like a good tip. Thanks for sharing.

Painzer
11-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Painzer

Awesome. Thanks.

NS, thanks for the video...

Mugen46
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Sorry to be mean, but your setup isn't very good. Push your chest up, your hunched over the bar and thats making you arc your back a bit.

Heres a good vid.

pjBI9qxibTc

joey54
11-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Painzer

Well said.

Chris Rodgers
11-09-2008, 05:15 PM
You can watch deadlift videos of 100 different "good" deadlifters and they might all look different. Everyone is built differently with different leverages, different strengths and different weaknesses. You've received some good advice here. Keep them in mind and just keep deadlifting. The more you do it, the more you will get comfortable with the technique. Start bumping the weight up and keep taking video to check your form. The thing is, anyone's form can look good with less than 50% of their max. It will be your form in the 90%+ range that will be the most important to your gains/safety.

And resetting between reps is up to you. There is nothing wrong with doing tap and go if you can keep tight and under control. If you find yourself becoming weak off the floor, I would definitely pull more often from a dead stop.

Painzer
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
You can watch deadlift videos of 100 different "good" deadlifters and they might all look different. Everyone is built differently with different leverages, different strengths and different weaknesses. You've received some good advice here. Keep them in mind and just keep deadlifting. The more you do it, the more you will get comfortable with the technique. Start bumping the weight up and keep taking video to check your form. The thing is, anyone's form can look good with less than 50% of their max. It will be your form in the 90%+ range that will be the most important to your gains/safety.

And resetting between reps is up to you. There is nothing wrong with doing tap and go if you can keep tight and under control. If you find yourself becoming weak off the floor, I would definitely pull more often from a dead stop.

This is very helpful. Thanks. I'll be dead lifting again tomorrow I think. I'll try to take video again. Thanks for all the tips.