PDA

View Full Version : How do you figure this stuff out?

Celestial
04-02-2002, 11:40 AM
I know someone told me before but I honestly dont remember. How do I find out how much I am supposed to eat as far as cals, fat, carbs, etc for my weight....to LOOSE weight?

I am 214, at 5'10 , 18 yrs old.

Lemme know how I can figure this out. Thanx:)

blustring
04-02-2002, 12:58 PM
I'll give this a try. This is the method I've been using, and it's working pretty well for me. All of my calculations are based on losing no more than 1 pound per week. I take my weight and multiply by 12. This is the number of calories your body would use in one day if you did nothing but breath. Take that number and multiply it by 7 (# of days in a week). This is the total number of calories your body needs to function for one week without gaining or losing any weight. There are 3500 calories in 1 pound, so to lose 1 pounds per week you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories in a week. That comes out to about 500 calories per day. Now, don't think this means you should eat 500 calories less than your calculated daily need. Doing this and exercising will slow your metabolism to a crawl. You have to figure in how many calories you burn at the gym, or running, or aerobics, or whatever else you do, subtract that from the daily calculated intake, then figure out how many calories you can eat to equal your 500 calorie per day deficit. For example. On a normal day my daily calculated calorie intake is 2700 calories. If I were going to lift weight on this day I would subtract 300 calories (estimate of calories burned during intense lifting) from 2700 to get 2400. Now I have saved 300 calories just lifting weights. Now I would plan my diet to make up the remaining 200 calorie deficit. So my diet would allow me around 2400 calories per day in order to lose 1 pound per week. This formula can be manipulated to lose or gain as much as you need, but be careful about not eating enough. Like I mentioned earlier, this will slow your metabolism, and send your body into storage mode. I hope this helps, and if any of you experinced folks see anything wrong, please let me know. I've been following your journal, and am very impressed with your progress. Keep up the good work.
Good Luck!

ericg
04-02-2002, 01:04 PM
simple answer=

start at about 2700 or so, pick a ratio of leat say 45%p, 20%f, 35%c to start.......eat good clean foods.......monitor your weight ONCE PER WEEK, and adjust the cals and/or the macros from there; ie, if you lose 10lbs in a week -> add some cals, if you gain -> lower cals....

Mark
04-02-2002, 01:19 PM
I'll tell you how I do it which is as follows.

1. Eat at least 1 g of protein per pound of lean bodyweight
2. Eat .5 g of carbs per pound of lean bodyweight on non workout days and twice this on workout days
3. Eat lean red meat, fish, chicken and whole eggs as protein sources - this will give you a moderate amount of fat (I don't actually count fat grams). You should avoid saturated fat as much as possible so don't eat too much red meat in comparison to the others.
To get your protein up you'll need 2 or 3 low carb protein drinks on top of the regular food.
4. I take EFAs to ensure that my body does not store fat from foods I eat. EFAs also help your body break down bodyfat for energy. To ensure the EFAs work optimally I take a good multivtamin/mineral plus extra vitamin C.
5. If you are still hungry add more protein to your diet - it will raise your metabolic rate as well as satisfying you.

Divide your food into 6 small meals per day

You still have to work out regularly of course, plus a couple of cardio workouts per week if you can.

Drink as much water as you can throughout the day. By being well hydrated your metabolic rate remains higher.