PDA

View Full Version : Spinal Compression

bigred90
11-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Any of you have this before? I have a phase 1 compression in my low back, havent squatted or deadlifted in 6 weeks.

For those of you that have had it, how long were you out? What did you to do help rehab? and What were you able to do while you did rehab it?

Guido
11-06-2008, 03:07 PM
What the heck is a "phase 1 compression"? Can you describe it in more detail?

bigred90
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
the nerve roots in my spine, forget the exact name, the bottom one in my low back is compressed. phase 1 is minor.

Guido
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Like what happens in sacroiliac joint dysfunction? Sounds painful. Anything involving pinched or compressed nerves is painful.

bigred90
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Like what happens in sacroiliac joint dysfunction? Sounds painful. Anything involving pinched or compressed nerves is painful.

yea luckily i caught mine at phase 1, any worse and it would pinch a nerve for sure.

drmobley
11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm trying to figure this out. Is it a compression fracture, degenerative disc, wedged disc, foraminal encroachment? I've never heard of a phase 1 compression and I deal with this stuff everyday. What is your pain rating? Also, you don't have any radicular pain (down the legs), just localized? If so, this pain/injury should be rather short term and have you back working out fairly soon. Hard though to picture what you are describing.

bigred90
11-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm trying to figure this out. Is it a compression fracture, degenerative disc, wedged disc, foraminal encroachment? I've never heard of a phase 1 compression and I deal with this stuff everyday. What is your pain rating? Also, you don't have any radicular pain (down the legs), just localized? If so, this pain/injury should be rather short term and have you back working out fairly soon. Hard though to picture what you are describing.

There isnt any pain going doin the leg, its just centralized in the low back. Sorry the lack of figuring out is probably due to my lack of knowledge of the names. The holes in your spine, where your nerves root through, is compressed slightly. The chiropractor didnt describe it anymore than a compression of the lower back. The pain isnt bad when im up and about, but if i sit down for more then 20 minutes it gets to about a 5-6. The depression of not squatting or deadlifting for 6 weeks is about a 9, haha. Im seeing a physical therapist next week due to my insurance not covering the chiro. I am just itching to get back squatting.

RhodeHouse
11-08-2008, 10:37 AM
You should do this everyday:

1. Stretch
2. Traction
3. Ice
4. Walk at least 30 minutes preferably on a treadmill

bigred90
11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
You should do this everyday:

1. Stretch
2. Traction
3. Ice
4. Walk at least 30 minutes preferably on a treadmill

i have been doing defrancos aigle 8 everyday plus some other glute/low back stretches. I need to buy some strong backs for more traction, but ive been doing some traction with the average band. I do ice and walk every day as well.

I know you've dealt with some of this stuff rhodes, is it something i should continue to take time off of squatting/pulling because of or should i keep training? ive been off of Squatting/pulling since Sept 27ish

RhodeHouse
11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
i have been doing defrancos aigle 8 everyday plus some other glute/low back stretches. I need to buy some strong backs for more traction, but ive been doing some traction with the average band. I do ice and walk every day as well.

I know you've dealt with some of this stuff rhodes, is it something i should continue to take time off of squatting/pulling because of or should i keep training? ive been off of Squatting/pulling since Sept 27ish

If you're still having trouble, what you're doing probably isn't working. If the chiro works, you need to find a way to get treatment.

You have to make the call yourself on whether or not you can start squatting again. I'd jack my ab work up and start with 95lbs. As long as it feels good, increase the weight each week by 20lbs or so. As soon as it bothers you, drop the weight and keep on going. It's a hard call.

bigred90
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
If you're still having trouble, what you're doing probably isn't working. If the chiro works, you need to find a way to get treatment.

You have to make the call yourself on whether or not you can start squatting again. I'd jack my ab work up and start with 95lbs. As long as it feels good, increase the weight each week by 20lbs or so. As soon as it bothers you, drop the weight and keep on going. It's a hard call.

I am meeting with a Psychical therapist next week, hopefully that works out. I was reading somewhere by Ripptoe saying when coming back, if the pain worsens as the reps and sets go on, then the injury isnt ready. Is this some what of a good guide line? I will do the bar then gradually add weight as you stated. Thanks for the help

RhodeHouse
11-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I am meeting with a Psychical therapist next week, hopefully that works out. I was reading somewhere by Ripptoe saying when coming back, if the pain worsens as the reps and sets go on, then the injury isnt ready. Is this some what of a good guide line? I will do the bar then gradually add weight as you stated. Thanks for the help

That makes sense. I would try not to get to the point where it does hurt, but that seems like a pretty good way to proceed.

TNDeadlifter
11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I had that in my L5 a few years back. I missed 1 dl session and no sq sessions (on 5 days rest). As long as I kept my back perfectly straight all was well. The chiro adjusted it and it was better. It took a full year before I could bend my back any way possible and it not hurt. Just do what was said above, lots of ice, stretching, walking, dynaimic warmups before exercsie.

bigred90
11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I had that in my L5 a few years back. I missed 1 dl session and no sq sessions (on 5 days rest). As long as I kept my back perfectly straight all was well. The chiro adjusted it and it was better. It took a full year before I could bend my back any way possible and it not hurt. Just do what was said above, lots of ice, stretching, walking, dynaimic warmups before exercsie.

so pretty much keep doing what im doing and ill be alright squatting/pulling? like i said, the pain isnt too bad, just being young i was tryn to play it safe with my back and make sure im not ****ing something up

drmobley
11-10-2008, 07:41 AM
BigRed, I think you'll get through this just fine. All the advice given is exactly what I'd also recommend. As long as there is no weakness in the disc(extreme bulging or herniation) these things get better rather quickly. I like the recommendation of 1)knowledgeable chiropractor, easy stretching, ice ice ice, I, myself, would probably use an OTC antiinflammatory, and physical therapy if these aren't as effective. Good luck to you.