PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ my good morning

MPB
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I decided to add good mornings to my routine to help my deadlift. I checked youtube and there seems to be many variations of GM out there. I just played around with many different styles, and this one seems to hit my hamstrings the hardest. I'm not sure how they should be done so I'd appreciate if you guys can kindly critique my form and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

rNIr9G7T7yI

geoffsherman
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Just my observations. This looks more like a squat than a GM. You might try not locking your legs out after every rep which may be part of the problem. From the angle, it looked like you were squatting part of the way down and then bending at your hips.

MPB
11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I think that happened b/c I wanted to go down as much as possible without losing my arch. Do you have good videos that show how good mornings should be done?

Ben Moore
11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah, not quite so much bend at the knee.

MPB
11-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Ah I wasn't aware of that. If I don't bend my knees much, I don't think I can bend down that low without losing the arch. Is this still effective?

Steven001
11-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I've never done them before, but I would say stand with your feet closer together, and don't bend you legs as much, if at all.

Ben Moore
11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Play around with foot positioning and bar placement. Don't be afraid to lower the weight. My regular GM stance mimmicks my conv DL stance

MPB
11-06-2008, 06:18 PM
I always pull sumo so I thought it'd be okay to go a little wide. I'll keep working on my form. Do you guys recommend low bar placement?

Ben Moore
11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Again - there's no one way to do them. I've done high bar narrow stance, low bar wide stance, arch back, round back. All i'm saying is try to lessen the knee bend from above.

geoffsherman
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=MightyPitbull;2032111]Ah I wasn't aware of that. If I don't bend my knees much, I don't think I can bend down that low without losing the arch. Is this still effective?[/QUOTE

While I think decreasing the bed will help, you need to focus on bending at the hips to descend rather than at the knee. To help with keeping the arch, you almost have to cosciously focus on that. I have also found looking up and throwing my head back on the ascent will help.

Ben Moore
11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Push your ass back. Think about trying to touch the wall behind you. Good trick to bending correctly and maintaining your arch.

Kiknskreem
11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
A strict, flat back, full RoM good morning will really nail the hamstrings.

The mechanics are basically that of the RDL, knees only slightly unlocked, hips rotate backwards, chest up and back arched.

This is how I do them...

XEb5XhUewPM

Pete22
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I pull sumo as well and I usually alternate GM's by going wide/narrow and arch back/round back. Your form wasn't that bad at all, it looks like you could have a little less knee bend and get the weight further in front of your knees, otherwise it just turns into a quarter squat. Here's a good vid of Eric Talmant doing GM's:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn4NM5bi4Mo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn4NM5bi4Mo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MPB
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Push your ass back. Think about trying to touch the wall behind you. Good trick to bending correctly and maintaining your arch.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip. Kiknskreem & Pet22, thank you for the video. I can see what I'm doing wrong now.

Ben Moore
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I pull sumo as well and I usually alternate GM's by going wide/narrow and arch back/round back. Your form wasn't that bad at all, it looks like you could have a little less knee bend and get the weight further in front of your knees, otherwise it just turns into a quarter squat. Here's a good vid of Eric Talmant doing GM's:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn4NM5bi4Mo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn4NM5bi4Mo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

UMMM, why is he training in a singlet?

KarstenDD
11-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Because he is Eric Talmant. At least he isn't going straps down for once.

Pete22
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM

LOL... I don't know. But he's sponsored by EliteFTS so he gets a pass.

KarstenDD
11-06-2008, 06:43 PM
If you're want to hit your back harder then more knee bend is ok. If you want to hit your hamstrings harder go down the same way but straighten your legs before you go back up.

KarstenDD
11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
LOL... I don't know. But he's sponsored by EliteFTS so he gets a pass.

Wrong he is Eric Talmant. He will get nothing and like it.

Lones Green
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
your form is not bad, just easy on the knee bend.

and arched back will hit the hams hard, a rounder back style goodmorning will hit the back more.

Matthew White
11-07-2008, 04:06 AM
I've never done them before, but I would say stand with your feet closer together, and don't bend you legs as much, if at all.

Actually I play with the foot positioning alot. Whenever I max though I go super wide. I've noticed this has more carryover to my pulling ability. Probably alot to do with working the weaker muscles as I pull frog footed (4-6 inches between the feet convetional deadlift) When I do them no matter what I have a slight squat involved but its not enough to make a huge difference. It would depend more on whether you are trying to focus more on your hip erectors or your hams. If you want more hip erectors, its ok to squat a little, if you want more hams, quit squattin it. Just my opinion.

Travis Bell
11-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Wrong he is Eric Talmant. He will get nothing and like it.

HAHAHAHA

have to agree with Ben, little odd to be training in a singlet.

Lones hit it right on, rounded back hits more the lower back and arched back hits the hams and glutes. If you have access to chain, doing chain suspended GM's is an awesome way to force your depth. Some people tend to cut them a bit high

BigTallOx
11-07-2008, 06:09 AM
If you have access to chain, doing chain suspended GM's is an awesome way to force your depth.

Yup, I do those, but with straps. They're rated to something like 1600 pounds and easier to cary around than chains. I bought them at home depot for $8, you can use them for all kinds of stuff, like benching with weigh hanging on the straps, etc.

brihead301
11-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Thank you for this thread. I just started doing GM's on Wednesday, and I want to make sure that I'm using good form as well.

AdamBAG
11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
I think your form looked pretty good to me. Doing a proper GM is a really subjective thing. As long as you aren't dipping under the bar and squatting it up then I think it's a GM.

I'm a big fan of chain suspended concentric GMs. Really help the pull in my opinion.

Pete22
11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
HAHAHAHA have to agree with Ben, little odd to be training in a singlet.

I wear my singlet around the house on weekends, is that weird? :confused:

AdamBAG
11-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I wear my singlet around the house on weekends, is that weird? :confused:

I try to sit back into my chair at work and not down. :)

=Travis=
11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Lower the weight if you have problems keeping arched. And while you have too much knee bend, I wouldn't neccesarily lock them or you could have problems with hyperextending the knees. I stand sholder width, bend the knees just to unlock them and stick my big ass backwards and try to get the bar down to a level in line with my ass. If your hams are sore as hell the next day, it worked.

Brad08
11-07-2008, 08:29 AM

You know, if you've never done them before, STFU.

=Travis=
11-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Just got the Elitefts weekly email and there was some mention of GMs:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=83458&tid=93

JasonLift
11-07-2008, 09:18 AM

maybe he is trying to show off his package.

MPB
11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the help. I'll make sure to update you with more videos.

Steven001
11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
You know, if you've never done them before, STFU.

Bit harsh. You don't need to have done something to know how it works. Anyway, my advice was relevant, and I wouldn't say it was incorrect either.

Ben Moore
11-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Bit harsh. You don't need to have done something to know how it works. Anyway, my advice was relevant, and I wouldn't say it was incorrect either.

Possibly a bit harsh, but until you know how you react to certain exercises you can't give others valid advice. I'm sure I could make something up regarding nuclear physics, but I've never studied it. Catch my drift?

Reko
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Possibly a bit harsh, but until you know how you react to certain exercises you can't give others valid advice. I'm sure I could make something up regarding nuclear physics, but I've never studied it. Catch my drift?

No but I caught your fallout.

My face tingles.

Is that metal I taste?

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
You don't need to have done something to know how it works.

Epic post of the decade

Steven001
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Yea I know what you mean. All I'm saying is, what I said wasn't necessary wrong, was it? I'll refrain from giving any more advice on this thread though! :)

Ben Moore
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Yea I know what you mean. All I'm saying is, what I said wasn't necessary wrong, was it? I'll refrain from giving any more advice on this thread though! :)

Not necessarily wrong, but it gave the implication that there's only one way to do a GM. To the untrained individual, they may take that as gospel.

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
You don't need to have done something to know how it works.

Epic FAIL post of the decade

edit

Steven001
11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Not necessarily wrong, but it gave the implication that there's only one way to do a GM. To the untrained individual, they may take that as gospel.

Yea, I could've worded it better. Sorry for the confusion/advice giving. :)

Steven001
11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
edit

Thanks, nice of you to point that out twice! :boring:

WillNoble
11-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks, nice of you to point that out twice! :boring:

here to help :hello:

Lones Green
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
i love you Will, LOL

Sensei
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
They looked pretty good to me.

Here's how I do mine:

0Ls4pTpgea8

Brad08
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM

When you've got 900 lb squatters giving advice in the thread, and you squat 187 and have never done a GM, just STFU, listen and learn. No offense.

Bench: 154.4lbs x 8
Squat: 187.4lbs x 2
Deadlift: 242.6lbs x 5

MPB
11-07-2008, 07:57 PM
They looked pretty good to me.

Here's how I do mine:

0Ls4pTpgea8

I love watching your videos and I visit your youtube channel frequently. I actually tried to copy your form after watching that video. Because of how my body is built, I really don't like doing stuff with a narrow stance except squats so I always row, pull, and do gms with a sumo stance. That seems to work much better for me.

40 Nunc
11-07-2008, 08:26 PM

"We don't wear singlets because A...one...they're gay." Mark Rippetoe

chris mason
11-07-2008, 08:34 PM
If you are trying to build your lower back you want a lot more rotation at the waist and less squatting with the lower body.