PDA

View Full Version : Grippers

Matthew White
11-07-2008, 04:49 AM
So I've really been digging into my COC grippers, I'm loving them, despite the fact that its a crushing grip I have tons of carryover to my static grip as well. I am having an issue, though. When going to the heavier grippers my left hand becomes really painful. When I was younger I had been shot in the hand with a BB gun and got it tore up by a dog pretty bad, but I've never had any type of pain like this from any work I've done or lifting before. So I'm not quite sure if maybe I have some scar tissue somewhere in there or what. I do warm up (so much that its usually overkill). Do you guys ever have alot of pain in your hands during using them. For me its like, "directly" after releasing the gripper, for maybe 30 seconds, then it dies down. Any ideas how to combat this by chance?

--Matt White

Tom Mutaffis
11-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I've never had any kind of pain like that with grippers, but my hands will sometimes "lock up" after a heavy farmers walk.

Not sure what you might be able to do to relieve that.

Viking_Power
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I have some of those same problems in my left hand. I hurt my hand playing softball last spring, and now everytime I grip something heavy it hurts like hell, just like you described. I just train through it because it goes away quickly and dosn't affect my daily life.

Ben Moore
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
If it doesn't affect you that bad - try and warm up properly and work through it. If it becomes a problem seek out a doc and get an MRI to see what's up.

Buccos1
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I have had some similar troubles from not warming up long enough. (My warmups are now usually no more than 2-3 reps/set.) Dropping the reps helped with the pain for me. Also, I have had some success doing a kinda wall push up-stretch with my hands backwards on the wall.

drmobley
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I've also been using the COCs for quite some time, never had any pain like youre describing but sounds like fireworks the first squeeze. It does sound like you have scar tissue in the hand, moreso probably from the dog. Palm/finger stretches would be good, MRI would clear up some matters, but most likely still come down to stretching or ultrasound or underwater ultrasound. Lastly, could be a strong imbalance of the palm flexors vs extensors. I know they have those little bands you can do finger/palm extensions which may help. But in my professional opinion, I would start with some good palm stretches possibly followed by ice water immersion either after the stretches or after the COC workout (pull your hand out of the water immediately when it numbs out). Hope this advice helps.

Matthew White
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I still haven't tried stretching. I have all the grippers up to a 2 (yeah laugh away, a 2 is tough for me) but my normal warmup is as this.

Guide-10 ea hand
Sport-10 ea hand
Trainer-5 ea hand
#1-3 ea hand
#1.5-1 ea hand
#2 make my attempts.

That's only on heavy days though, which are only every 2 to 3 weeks. I normally just go to a 1 or a 1.5 for max reps on each hand. I will be ordering a 2.5 and 3 soon. But suprisingly my not so bright self didn't think about stretching the hands either, so I'm going to have to try doing that too. Farmers just rip my flesh up, never have any actual "grip" pain after them, my static grip is pretty good.