PDA

View Full Version : driving from heels in bench press

roots
11-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Which is the better way to bench, keeping the feet and heels flat on the floor, or getting a better arch by moving your legs further back, so that you are resting on your toes?

the second way im talking about is like this:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vWT4BfUXTnQ

vdizenzo
11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I do not feel stable when on my toes. I tried it. Did not like it. I feel I am more stable and can drive through my heels when my feet are flat. I actually keep my big toe up in my shoe like when I squat. Ryan K is the best bencher in the world and he keeps his feet flat. That's good enough for me. My advice for you is to try both and see what works best for you.

Ryano
11-07-2008, 10:07 PM
My advice for you is to try both and see what works best for you.

That's it right there! Try both. I found that with flat feet, I get better leg drive, but on toes, I get better arch = less ROM. I've found that I'm better on my toes. Like Vin says, do what works for you.

Chris Smith
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I prefer pulling my feet back under me. When you do this set up, you should be on the balls of your feet, and push your heels down towards the floor. This set-up (metal militia) hurts if done right at first and takes alot of time to get used to. It is very easy to get sloppy on this as well. You need someone to keep you in check with the MM set-up. I try to work on my set up at least one or two other days of the week that I dont bench. Before a meet, I will work on my set-up every day for 1/2 hour. Alot of stretching, and working on that arch, and pushing the heels down. I agree with Vin and Ryano--try both and see what works for you.

BIG AL
11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Set up like you are going to squat. Like vinny said big toe up heels down. I like to keep my feet apart the same as when I squat so I can get the most power from my legs.

Travis Bell
11-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm with Vin as well. I keep my feet wide and flat. I'll tuck them back enough that my heels are just barely touching, but they are touching. I don't know why, but when I set up on my toes I lose all my stability as well as ability to use my leg drive. I do however gain some arch when I am on my toes. Try and see what works for you

bigbadwolfe
11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I'll agree with Vin, BUT my son had no legdrive what so ever being flat and as soon as I tucked his feet up under him he became strong as hell. So it really is all in what feels right for you!!!