PDA

View Full Version : ZenMonkey's PCleans- Form Once More!

ZenMonkey
11-08-2008, 08:33 AM
These were my working sets at 90% of the previous weeks 10RM. Its 145 lbs, not too much but I want to make sure I am looking decent for the next part of my split's cycle. Starting on Monday Ill be working to 5RMs and then the next week doing 5x5 of 90% of that 5RM. This is going to be much heavier than what I have done in quite sometime- since I broke my fingers- and wanted to make sure my form looked alright before I stepped up the weight. Ill be seeing my coach in a week and am hoping to have made some solid form progress.

I also wanted to say that thus far you guys have been an invaluable tool for me to use in working on my form. Thank you all so much!

145x 4x5 :

T6QOtgZJPy8
J9wnlfAnITE
tR4P2u7qOak
rbPx-70WRDk

Ryan Hale
11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Zen,
You work hard,keep up the good work.

Your keeping the bar nice and close on the way up as we could all see.Hows the shins?:)

I posted a few questions about power cleans the other day,but got zero replies.

And I sure don't mean to hi-jack your thread friend,but maybe you or someone else could answer a question.

Is the proper way to do those cleans to be set up in a deep position,like a front squat?? Then you stand up with weight,instead of being standing up when weight gets to shoulders?

Ryan Hale

ZenMonkey
11-08-2008, 10:37 AM
No worries friend... here ya go:

Power Clean VS Squat Clean
ZVpsiAtVx7s

As far as shins... did you notice that I had to tape up fairly early on my sets? Im deffinately keeping it close.

Ryan Hale
11-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Zen,

Thanks so much for the video.

Sooooooo.........

What is better for high school kids,as in do you want power cleans,or squat type cleans in relation to football training.

I have a friend who is a def cord. for college football and told me that teach their players to come out of that deep hole.

Sorry to be such a tool on these power clean questions but have really only dealt with squat,dead,bench type training.

Bloody shins-very cool Zen.

Ryan Hale

HP666
11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok, so I am not an expert on the PC but I have done them and was taught them by someone who knows what the hell they are doing. So after that intro, the one thing I see is I believe is you are turning the weight over too soon, meaning you're almost curling the weight up to position on the chest. It should be more of an upright row motion bring the weight much higher up before making the transition. Some look better than others in your vids. So it could just be fatigue or too much weight causing you to muscle it up like that. And that's not a knock on your strength by any means; it's just that the PC requires such good technique that too much weight can cause even perfect technique to suffer. This just jumped right out at me, but like I said, I'm no expert.
Sensei is probably a good person to ask about this.

ZenMonkey
11-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Ok, so I am not an expert on the PC but I have done them and was taught them by someone who knows what the hell they are doing. So after that intro, the one thing I see is I believe is you are turning the weight over too soon, meaning you're almost curling the weight up to position on the chest. It should be more of an upright row motion bring the weight much higher up before making the transition. Some look better than others in your vids. So it could just be fatigue or too much weight causing you to muscle it up like that. And that's not a knock on your strength by any means; it's just that the PC requires such good technique that too much weight can cause even perfect technique to suffer. This just jumped right out at me, but like I said, I'm no expert.
Sensei is probably a good person to ask about this.

Thanks bro! Thats interesting.. like an upright row.. that makes sense since you are suposed to keep the bar close... thanks man, noted indeed!

joey54
11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I sucked at these in high schoold and college, but it looks like you are improving. The upright row analogy is what I always remembered. It looks like you are getting a better "snap", which seems to be the key to getting the form down. Just keep doing what Fuzzy says and you'll be fine.

youngguns
11-09-2008, 11:10 AM
100% better from your first video, these are much better, just work on a more explosive hip extension (which your getting a lot better).

ZenMonkey
11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks youngguns and joey!

I am glad to hear the feedback. This coming week marks a serious increase in weight so I need to make sure my ts are dotted and my i's are crossed! Thanks fellas!

youngguns
11-09-2008, 05:25 PM
hes got impeccable form and speed, so he study his form (if you havent seen this video already).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGESkE-GzUE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fGESkE-GzUE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JHarris
11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Still needs more jump. Try just jumping with the weight, not worrying about moving the bar up - go for height. Once you get the feel of that, try cleaning again. You just aren't putting enough hip/leg power into it.

Cutting your shins is actually a very bad sign; it means you are not pushing the ground away to begin with, but are pulling some with your back. Ideally, you keep your back angle the same until you extend your knees almost completely. This is why I said do them from the hang - its hard to focus on fixing more than 1 thing at a time in a fast pace lift, and I'd rather see you correct the lack of a snappy second pull before you worry about it from the floor.