PDA

View Full Version : High reps in powerlifting... making a routine

BFGUITAR
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I am curious to know how to incorporate high reps in a strength routine. I haven't really done high reps for anything. The most reps I do is around 8. I have decided to make a routine and to start after I do Chris' routine for bench. I of course need some help.

day 1:

Squat: Work up to a 3 rep max, hit that same thing for 4 the next week
Squat: rep out 225
weighted pullups: 3x8
biceps 3x12
Stretch

Day 2:

Bench: Work up to a 3 rep max, hit for 4 the next week
Bench: rep out 135
Rows: 3x12
Stretch

Day 3:

Deficit Deadlift: work up to a 3 rep max, hit for 4 next week
Deadlift: 3x10
Push press: 3x10
(I am debating whether I should do push presses or strict press. I have only done strict presses and never push presses)
Stretch

day 4:

General cardio, some ab work. I am also thinking of adding in some arm work on this day as well... I just don't know where I could put tricep work into such a routine. My lockouts are my weakness so perhaps I should do them separately?

I would appreciate any help. I don't know if this would be too intense but really, I am just adding one rep every week and than adding weight every 2 weeks... so it doesn't seem too bad. I will also be eating a lot, of course.

Rip away at it!

geoffsherman
11-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Before answering, what is the motivation behind adding higher reps? I am not saying this in a dismissive way, but it will help to aswer your question.

BFGUITAR
11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Before answering, what is the motivation behind adding higher reps? I am not saying this in a dismissive way, but it will help to aswer your question.

Well a lot of people around here have been saying that heavy resistance training and high rep accesory work are two very important factors in strength training.

As well, since I never train high reps I feel I could benefit from them in some way.

Reko
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't think 3x12 is necessary in your squat example, but maybe instead drop down to something a little lower than your max and crank out reps there then call it for that exercise.

Reko
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Or just incorporate it on another day as accessory work.

BFGUITAR
11-09-2008, 01:52 PM
So would one-two sets of twelve be better?

geoffsherman
11-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing high reps for your main lifts (bench, squat, deadlift)-- your main goal for these exercises is to get stronger which involves lower rep work. One usually chooses higher reps to build mass or muscular endurance. If it is the former, Accessory work is a better candidate for high reps. If it is the latter, that doesn't necessarily fit with a traditional powerlifting routine.

Reko
11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
or one of 8. just depends. On our DE bench days sometimes well do somethign like 225 for however many we can get after doing speed bench. (its in the 20-25 range).

Or well do oly/front squats after our PL squats and use that as an accessory for mass.

deeder
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I like to start a program with 2-3 weeks of high rep work. For me that means about 3x16 for squats, 3x10 for bench and 5x10 for deads. As I get further in to a program I do less high rep stuff for the main lifts. My accessory work is always 10+ reps.

BFGUITAR
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I just changed it up... I like the idea of just repping out after.

Deeder why do you do that?

geoffsherman
11-09-2008, 03:09 PM
or one of 8. just depends. On our DE bench days sometimes well do somethign like 225 for however many we can get after doing speed bench. (its in the 20-25 range).

Thanks for rubbing it in :D

Detard
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Rhodes designed me a program and he had me hitting low reps on my main lifts, and then for accessory stuff like rows for example on bench days, I would be hitting 10 reps. On a max effort squat day, I was hitting front squats or low back exercises for 10 reps. I had a TON of progress while on this routine.

BFGUITAR
11-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Could ya post the routine? I would like to take a look.

deeder
11-09-2008, 08:01 PM
I just changed it up... I like the idea of just repping out after.

Deeder why do you do that?

The first few weeks of my programs are meant to build up work capacity and hopefully build a bit of muscle. After doing a few weeks of 16's for squats 8's are a breeze. Everything is designed to peak me for a meet so as I get closer I start taking heavier weights...

jbrin0tk
11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I had a lot of success with my squat using this program that Rhodes wrote up: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_squatting.htm

It also raised my deadlift quite a bit, too.