PDA

View Full Version : Critique on Donna's bench

lil' power
11-09-2008, 08:13 PM
We were tweaking her form...squaring her feet up and having her touch lower
Arch is looking good. Productive comments only please.

noF7066obiU

Travis Bell
11-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Impressive form Donna! I'd say thats about right. I wouldn't think you'd want to touch any lower, or any higher, thats about the right spot. Your arch is INSANE

Donnajo
11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Impressive form Donna! I'd say thats about right. I wouldn't think you'd want to touch any lower, or any higher, thats about the right spot. Your arch is INSANE

Thanks. I was getting a lot of coaching as I was doing it from Lones and Vicki. I still struggle with improving my strength on my bench. Big difference compared to how my squat and dead are growing. It really frustrates me a lot.

Travis Bell
11-09-2008, 08:25 PM
good squatters and deadlifters are almost never good benchers. Just the way it is. Keep workin on those triceps and once you learn how to get more leg drive involved you'll start really hitting those bench PRs

Donnajo
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
What can I do to improve leg drive?

SoreFoot8343
11-09-2008, 08:40 PM
wow. my back hurts just looking at your arch!! WTG! As far as leg drive.. I found out its a timing thing. that once you touch and pause your body automatically reacts to PRESS. your head goes back, your legs drive off your heals and the bar goes up all in the same second.

Travis Bell
11-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Well when the weight touches your chest, actually push with your legs. More importantly, drive with your heels. Push back and up and that power will go towards developing speed

40 Nunc
11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
How does leg drive work if your butt has to stay planted on the bench?

Travis Bell
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
It doesn't. It can move back, just not up

Donnajo
11-10-2008, 07:34 AM
It doesn't. It can move back, just not up

Ok, explain. Don't get that. What do you mean by move back, not up.

TheVrolok
11-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Ok, explain. Don't get that. What do you mean by move back, not up.

He means that by pressing your heels into the ground there's naturally going to be a reactive force upward that's going to attempt to raise your butt off the bench. You essentially use your core/back strength to keep your butt planted on the bench. But, that force from your feet is still going to act on your body and if your core/back is strong enough to keep your butt planted, it very well may still slide up (northward, or toward your head) possibly increasing your arch. In essence, press those heels into the ground, your butt might slide, but it won't come off the bench and you're good to go - the force is being transferred from your feet/legs (via the pressure on the ground) into your core/back (which is keeping your butt from rising off the bench) and then into your shoulders/arms/chest to get that weight up. It's all about the basic physics. :)

Great form btw, I'd love to have that kind of arch.

Travis Bell
11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Yep. Thats pretty much it. If you drive with your heels, your butt will go back, towards your head, not up off the bench.

Donnajo
11-10-2008, 08:30 AM
He means that by pressing your heels into the ground there's naturally going to be a reactive force upward that's going to attempt to raise your butt off the bench. You essentially use your core/back strength to keep your butt planted on the bench. But, that force from your feet is still going to act on your body and if your core/back is strong enough to keep your butt planted, it very well may still slide up (northward, or toward your head) possibly increasing your arch. In essence, press those heels into the ground, your butt might slide, but it won't come off the bench and you're good to go - the force is being transferred from your feet/legs (via the pressure on the ground) into your core/back (which is keeping your butt from rising off the bench) and then into your shoulders/arms/chest to get that weight up. It's all about the basic physics. :)

Great form btw, I'd love to have that kind of arch.

AHHH! http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=2826

lil' power
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Which means the other day you did "use" you leg drive, but only to push yourself off the bench...keeping tight -now you know what really tight feels like...your core/shoulders will stay planted and transfer that pressure from your legs into your lift...

Yea, I wish I could have that arch too...

Davey
11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Very impressive arch!