PDA

View Full Version : Tom Mutaffis Jumping onto 54" Box

Tom Mutaffis
11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Stopped by to train with my friend Elliott Hulse last weekend who runs a training facility in St Petersburg called StrengthCamp.

After hitting a few strongman events we decided to see if anyone could jump onto the loading platform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-r0eLYDH8w

Shows that my style of training in the gym and with implements builds real world explosiveness and athleticism. All of the AtLarge Results, Opticen, and Maximus have been helping me to really dial in my strength and power as well.

*In the video I leap onto a 54" platform at 5'8 about 215-220 lbs.

Gable
11-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Damn dude.. that's awesome!

Steven001
11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
That's a big jump - impressive! I would like to try that, to see how high I could get.

WORLD
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I love jumping like that. My friend and I often challenge each other to see who can jump and land on a higher platform. Its scary too! Awesome video.

Lones Green
11-10-2008, 01:34 PM
awesome video buddy.

i have no doubt that something of mine would have broken trying that, LOL

cougar23
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Thats incredible man awesome

Majestic
11-10-2008, 07:43 PM
That was awesome.

jbrin0tk
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
awesome video buddy.

i have no doubt that something of mine would have broken trying that, LOL

Haha, what Lones said for sure! Great work, Tom!

ryuage
11-16-2008, 02:34 PM
impressive, i guess white men can jump.

Hanlon
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Thats amazing, thanks for the vid.

chris mason
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Great stuff Tom!

TheVrolok
11-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Beautiful stuff. How's training down in Ft. Lauderdale? I'm going to be down in the area for a day or two in the next couple weeks. Looking at a medical school in the area.

Y2A
11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Very impressive bro, where do you do strongman training down here?

AJ_H
11-18-2008, 03:04 PM
:omg: awesome man! I couldn't do that and I'm only 145!! gotta keep squatting.

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Beautiful stuff. How's training down in Ft. Lauderdale? I'm going to be down in the area for a day or two in the next couple weeks. Looking at a medical school in the area.

Where are you going to be staying? Down here it is mostly LA Fitness and Gold's Gym. I train at Gold's but the one in Fort Lauderdale (on Commercial Blvd.) does not allow deadlifting or anything so most of my heavy work is at the West Boca Raton location.

Shoot me a PM if you want to train and might be able to figure something out.

If you are looking at Nova Southeastern University it is a great school, I have friends in the Audiology and PT program there. Nova is actually located in Davie or Plantation though, just West of Fort Lauderdale (that is the area that I live in as well).

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Very impressive bro, where do you do strongman training down here?

Thank you.

There is a HW Pro Strongman in Fort Lauderdale who has equipment at his house, and I also drive out to Ft Myers every other weekend or so to train with one of my good friends out there.

Don't know of any commercial gyms or other faciltiies that have any equipment in this area though.

Were you interested in giving it a try sometime?

TheVrolok
11-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Where are you going to be staying? Down here it is mostly LA Fitness and Gold's Gym. I train at Gold's but the one in Fort Lauderdale (on Commercial Blvd.) does not allow deadlifting or anything so most of my heavy work is at the West Boca Raton location.

Shoot me a PM if you want to train and might be able to figure something out.

If you are looking at Nova Southeastern University it is a great school, I have friends in the Audiology and PT program there. Nova is actually located in Davie or Plantation though, just West of Fort Lauderdale (that is the area that I live in as well).

That's actually where I'm interviewing, a friend of mine is a first year student there so I might end up crashing at his place. I'm trying to see if there's somewhere I can get a good lift in while I'm down there but I need to see what my schedule is going to look like first. I might have to shoot you a PM when I figure it all out. :)

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 08:00 AM
That's actually where I'm interviewing, a friend of mine is a first year student there so I might end up crashing at his place. I'm trying to see if there's somewhere I can get a good lift in while I'm down there but I need to see what my schedule is going to look like first. I might have to shoot you a PM when I figure it all out. :)

Sounds good, just let me know.

Ryan Hale
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Awesome Tom,I see your 5' 8",can you dunk a basketball??

Ryan Hale

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Awesome Tom,I see your 5' 8",can you dunk a basketball??

Ryan Hale

Thanks Ryan.

I have pretty small hands, almost like paws - so can't palm a basketball. When I was lighter I could dunk a tennis ball but at 215+ lbs probably not anymore... maybe get up to the rim (which would be a 36" vertical for me).

Y2A
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Thank you.

There is a HW Pro Strongman in Fort Lauderdale who has equipment at his house, and I also drive out to Ft Myers every other weekend or so to train with one of my good friends out there.

Don't know of any commercial gyms or other faciltiies that have any equipment in this area though.

Were you interested in giving it a try sometime?

I'm a little dude, but if you think my 5'6, 150lb frame can handle any of it, I'd give it a try sometime. You have some sick athleticism, my friend.

Tom Mutaffis
11-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm a little dude, but if you think my 5'6, 150lb frame can handle any of it, I'd give it a try sometime. You have some sick athleticism, my friend.

Hmmm, this particular facility is not really great for those just getting started with the implements since most of the weights they have are what you would see in a high level contest (their lightest atlas stone is 265 lbs, only tire they have is 945 lbs, farmers walk handles weigh 165 lbs each empty, etc.).

I have a sled and some other things and have been talking to some friends down here about doing plyometrics once in a while. Will keep you posted on that and we can get in some functional training that won't be overwhelming for you...

Y2A
11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, this particular facility is not really great for those just getting started with the implements since most of the weights they have are what you would see in a high level contest (their lightest atlas stone is 265 lbs, only tire they have is 945 lbs, farmers walk handles weigh 165 lbs each empty, etc.).

I have a sled and some other things and have been talking to some friends down here about doing plyometrics once in a while. Will keep you posted on that and we can get in some functional training that won't be overwhelming for you...

Sounds good man, yeah those weights are way out of my range lol. Thanks though!

Bango Skank
11-20-2008, 11:43 AM
You killed it dude! Strong height!

Anthony
11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Wicked jump, Tom!

In your strongman training, have you found any correlates between deadlifts and tire flipping? In other words, what type of deadlift would someone need to flip that 1000 pound tire? I've tried a couple of times - but no luck.

Bango Skank
11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Wicked jump, Tom!

Bainbridge?

Tom Mutaffis
12-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Wicked jump, Tom!

In your strongman training, have you found any correlates between deadlifts and tire flipping? In other words, what type of deadlift would someone need to flip that 1000 pound tire? I've tried a couple of times - but no luck.

Sorry I didn't see this response here for a couple of days.

The general correlation that has been thrown around is that if you can deadlift half of the tire weight then you should be able to flip it. Theoretically then a 500 lbs deadlifter could flip a 1,000 lbs tire.

With the tire flip being a mutli-part movement I think that a lot of this can depend on athleticism, bodyweight, and leverages. I have seen people with mediocre strength levels flip a tire because they are tall and heavy. I have also seen very athletic people flip tires because they are explosive but may not have the best static strength.

To give an example of this in my first strongman contest there was a medley where you had to flip a 600 lbs tire for three repetions, a 700 lbs tire for two repetitions, and then a 850-925 lbs tire for one repetition. At that time I was probably a low 500's conventional deadlifter and I was able to get the heaviest tire into my lap but could not turn it over. Tire flip can almost be considered a whole body movement since it almost mimicks the power clean.

Hope this helps... was there a specific tire that you had your eye on? The taller that they are the harder it makes them. Very wide tires are easier because they basically flip themselves once you get them going and you can connect more of your body with them.

Gable
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry I didn't see this response here for a couple of days.

The general correlation that has been thrown around is that if you can deadlift half of the tire weight then you should be able to flip it. Theoretically then a 500 lbs deadlifter could flip a 1,000 lbs tire.

With the tire flip being a mutli-part movement I think that a lot of this can depend on athleticism, bodyweight, and leverages. I have seen people with mediocre strength levels flip a tire because they are tall and heavy. I have also seen very athletic people flip tires because they are explosive but may not have the best static strength.

To give an example of this in my first strongman contest there was a medley where you had to flip a 600 lbs tire for three repetions, a 700 lbs tire for two repetitions, and then a 850-925 lbs tire for one repetition. At that time I was probably a low 500's conventional deadlifter and I was able to get the heaviest tire into my lap but could not turn it over. Tire flip can almost be considered a whole body movement since it almost mimicks the power clean.

Hope this helps... was there a specific tire that you had your eye on? The taller that they are the harder it makes them. Very wide tires are easier because they basically flip themselves once you get them going and you can connect more of your body with them.

Great insight on tire flipping, Tom. Thanks!

BigTallOx
12-02-2008, 10:01 PM
I have pretty small hands, almost like paws - so can't palm a basketball.

Just curious, isn't that a big disadvantage in doing strongman?

Flabs
12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
That really puts my 8" jump over my cat this morning to shame.

Tom Mutaffis
12-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Just curious, isn't that a big disadvantage in doing strongman?

It is, since some of the events are a test of grip strength. In one contest last year there was a three part medley and I could have easily flown through the 2nd and 3rd leg but the farmers walk was the first part and I was not able to complete it as my grip gave out and I tore calluses on one of my hands.

Axle cleans are also tough, I can power clean 300 easily but lose grip around 225 lbs on the axle - but there is another technique called the "continental clean" that enables me to get heavier weights to my shoulders.

You work with what you have...

JasonLift
12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Been said plenty but I will say it again that was an awesome jump.

Anthony
12-17-2008, 07:00 AM

We have a Continental 29.5R25 that is listed at 1350 pounds when new. They estimated 1000-1100 pounds when worn. My max DL is 565, but usually hovers low to mid 500's. So far I have not been able to flip it myself. Two decently strong guys can do it, though.

Tom Mutaffis
12-17-2008, 07:31 AM
We have a Continental 29.5R25 that is listed at 1350 pounds when new. They estimated 1000-1100 pounds when worn. My max DL is 565, but usually hovers low to mid 500's. So far I have not been able to flip it myself. Two decently strong guys can do it, though.

That is a pretty heavy tire! Do you have a picture that you can post?

One of my training tires is 950 lbs range and I have flipped a 1000+ for 6 reps in under a minute in a contest. Have a picture somewhere that I will try to find tonight.

Anthony
12-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Here's a picture of the beast being flipped by two guys. I have a smaller tire in the 500 range, but it's way too easy for anything other than conditioning. I think something in the 750 range would be ideal for my training.

Tom Mutaffis
12-19-2008, 10:25 AM
That looks like the same tire that I had in a contest earlier this year... the promoter claimed it was 1,056 lbs.

Hit it for 6 reps in 60 seconds I think - could have done more but I was upset about some of the event changes at the contest and was just having fun out there. Definitely a heavy one from the post position!

650 - 700 lbs seems to be a good weight. Not so heavy that you kill yourself flipping it but not so light that it turns into cardio. Generally good for one-motion sets of 3-5 and regular flipping sets of 5-10.

Anthony
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm done flipping for the winter, but once things thaw out I'll hit you up for some advice on the beast. There are some technique changes I'm going to try in the spring ... but at my height/weight/strength, I'm just not sure if a technique overhaul is going to be enough to get that thing over!

Tom Mutaffis
12-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm done flipping for the winter, but once things thaw out I'll hit you up for some advice on the beast. There are some technique changes I'm going to try in the spring ... but at my height/weight/strength, I'm just not sure if a technique overhaul is going to be enough to get that thing over!

Technique is very important with tire flipping. Body leverages can also make a difference but I am sure we can figure out something to help you conquer that monster - what is your height / weight / deadlift / front squat (or even power squat) right now?

*The first really heavy tire that I ever flipped was a 981 lbs tire and I was under 200 lbs and am only 5'8. Had a mid 500's pull at the time.

cwoodrb105
01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I could only dream of jumping like that. I have zero ups.

Bassist-Dude
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I could only dream of jumping like that. I have zero ups.

Dude, with a 305lbs squat at 165lbs, you definitely have the strength for getting some good ups. If you're interested in improving your vert, check out the Vertical Jump Bible, or feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

To the Threadstarter: Absolutely sick jump, props!

Tom Mutaffis
01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I am wondering if anyone out there finds that jumps help any of their lifts? Was thinking about adding in some standing broad jumps on my lower body days... to build more explosiveness.

Anthony
01-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Tom, I sent you a PM.

ZenMonkey
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I am wondering if anyone out there finds that jumps help any of their lifts? Was thinking about adding in some standing broad jumps on my lower body days... to build more explosiveness.

Isnt Louie Simmons a big proponent of this? Specifically he talks about weighted box squat jumps onto a plyo box. Before you launch you talk your feet off of the floor to disengage hip flexors. Im sure this works great when squatting to parallel and even deeper if you dont sit on the box. He talks about moving a jumping athlete from a 46'' box to a 56'' box in a matter of 6-8 weeks.

whiteman90909
01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Christ dude you're like a ****ing gazelle!!! Nice work!

bigdayday
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
westside-barbell.com
Nov - 06 - EXPLOSIVE LEG STRENGTH

On the westside site under the Nov 06 articles. You will find explosive leg strength article. Which covers the basic principles behind jumping/plyometric training. Also Louie says "if you do jumping, olympic lifts are not needed". I am actually trying this right now. I too also train for strongman and have smaller hands, which makes a double overhand grip on an axle very difficult. But i can continental 350 with a one hand over/under technique. So instead of training with a light axle and let my grip be the limiting factor. I have choosen to drop the power cleans with the axle and replace it with the box jumps. When a competition comes around with an axle, I will go back to training with it. But since the continental is more brute strength, then actual technique (like olympic lifting). I can only see big benefits from the box jumps. Because they will make me alot more explosive than training with a 200-250 axle ever would.

jed
01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
wow dude that was incredible. highest i've jumped was a 31" vertical and a 111" broad jump. whats your vertical??

Majestic
01-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Dude, with a 305lbs squat at 165lbs, you definitely have the strength for getting some good ups.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/verticaljumpcalculator.html

Agreed. If he can't hit 31" (per the calculator), then it's time for some movement efficiency training. Plyos, loaded jump squats, etc.

A simple one that can be done in one's home even without a weight vest is one-legged frog jumps. Those burn like H*ll.

http://www.verticaljumping.com/single_leg_paused_frog_jumps.html

Of course, if you have a platform or box (or anything you can safely jump onto at an appropriate height), then a whole new world opens up. One simple exercise is this:

http://www.verticaljumping.com/single_leg_box_jumps.html

Tom Mutaffis
01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
westside-barbell.com
Nov - 06 - EXPLOSIVE LEG STRENGTH

On the westside site under the Nov 06 articles. You will find explosive leg strength article. Which covers the basic principles behind jumping/plyometric training. Also Louie says "if you do jumping, olympic lifts are not needed". I am actually trying this right now. I too also train for strongman and have smaller hands, which makes a double overhand grip on an axle very difficult. But i can continental 350 with a one hand over/under technique. So instead of training with a light axle and let my grip be the limiting factor. I have choosen to drop the power cleans with the axle and replace it with the box jumps. When a competition comes around with an axle, I will go back to training with it. But since the continental is more brute strength, then actual technique (like olympic lifting). I can only see big benefits from the box jumps. Because they will make me alot more explosive than training with a 200-250 axle ever would.

350 is a heavy continental clean! I think the most I have done is around 325 but I didn't try more since I wouldn't have been able to press it at the time.

Double overhand is definitely tough.

Anthony - Did I ever reply to your PM? I am bad with those, sorry.

Jed - Never tested my vertical jump but in High school at 16 or 17 and 185 lbs I could touch the rim on a basketball hoop - giving me a 36"+ vertical (at 5'8). Broad jump I would think that I could go around 8' or so but I don't really know.

Interesting idea on box squat jumps, I have seen those quite a bit and even tried some the other day. Need to find a gym with plyo boxes so that I can do more of this training. That 54" jump was me just messing around - haven't done any jumping training in about two years.

bigdayday
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
To replace plyo boxes, just build a platform to fit in your squat rack that rests on the safety pins so u can adjust it to any height u want. $10 dollars in wood will replace hundreds of dollars in plyo boxes. Also fat tires work great too, just add enough weight to make the height more difficult. Adding weight, I think is the best way to go anyways and test your progress with bw.

Tom Mutaffis
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
To replace plyo boxes, just build a platform to fit in your squat rack that rests on the safety pins so u can adjust it to any height u want. $10 dollars in wood will replace hundreds of dollars in plyo boxes. Also fat tires work great too, just add enough weight to make the height more difficult. Adding weight, I think is the best way to go anyways and test your progress with bw.

Would hit my head on the top of the squat rack... that is a good idea for loading platforms though for kegs / sandbags / stones.

Stairs make for great plyo boxes - if you can jump up 5-7 steps then you have some serious ups.