PDA

View Full Version : Meet last meet vid

SELK
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Thought I would post this for some critique.

This is my 4th meet. I just competed 4 weeks before and went 755/401/585 - only hitting my opening bench and DL.

The 755 squat felt really good last meet, so no matter what I wanted to take 804lbs for a ride. I opened the squat without my suit just to assure that i was getting a lift, my gear is very tight and its kind of hit or miss depth wise.

I was a 242 this meet, didn't cut a pound and weighed in light.

here is the vid:
DnvSxjOwFxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnvSxjOwFxs

Now, i gotta get that 804lbs squat in a contest (ive hit 800 in the gym, stars must have aligned!).

Sean S
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
It looks like you lose your upper back arch as you get near depth on both the 755 and 805. Your head and shoulders slump forward just a little. It's relatively subtle, but it seems to be there. I know it's tough to keep your arch once the suit really binds up.
This is something that makes a huge impact for me. For example at my last meet:
SQ
700 never got a good arch from the start due to straps being too tight; good but very difficult
730 better arch, but got just a little loose on the way up; good but had to grind it out
750 held arch well the entire lift; smoked it

Things that have helped me:
1) get my entire back stronger
2) make a conscious effort to arch even harder as I get near the hole

Lones Green
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
nice work. you are very strong. you look to be pretty tall as well.

i have the same type of problem with heavy squats. i'm not sure if you are losing your arch, or just leaning forward. i tend to lean forward, but if i can hit my groove just right and stay upright i can probably squat 50 more pounds than if i lean forward.

either way, thats a very common thing with geared squats.

SELK
11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
It looks like you lose your upper back arch as you get near depth on both the 755 and 805. Your head and shoulders slump forward just a little. It's relatively subtle, but it seems to be there. I know it's tough to keep your arch once the suit really binds up.
This is something that makes a huge impact for me. For example at my last meet:
SQ
700 never got a good arch from the start due to straps being too tight; good but very difficult
730 better arch, but got just a little loose on the way up; good but had to grind it out
750 held arch well the entire lift; smoked it

Things that have helped me:
1) get my entire back stronger
2) make a conscious effort to arch even harder as I get near the hole

I noticed this as well after watching the vids. I also have problems with deadlift lockouts so I think my back is what i need to bring up.

That makes sense about trying to arch harder, I cant say ive ever focused on it.. will be doing that from now on!

nice work. you are very strong. you look to be pretty tall as well.

i have the same type of problem with heavy squats. i'm not sure if you are losing your arch, or just leaning forward. i tend to lean forward, but if i can hit my groove just right and stay upright i can probably squat 50 more pounds than if i lean forward.

either way, thats a very common thing with geared squats.

Not to tall, 5'9, maybe 5'10 on a good day. Maybe everyone at the meet was short :D

I am going to start doing some arch backed good mornings, and more back work so i think things will improve.

thanks for the input guys.

Captain_Crunch
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Good lifting. 800 will go at nationals. Was there a good turn out for the meet?

SELK
11-10-2008, 09:54 PM
there was i think 50-60 lifters, not bad. ran alot quicker then nationals, meet was done by like 5:30.

yeah the plan is to get it (or higher oh course..) at nationals. that will likely be my next meet.