PDA

View Full Version : Squats with safety squat bar

BigTallOx
11-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Today I did squats with the safety squat bar for the first time. Man, it kicked my butt! Last time I did ME squats with the straight bar, I did 425, but today with the safety squat bar I could barely do 315 ( but I skied yesterday and I'm slightly sore from that ). So my question to everybody here is, Do you squat considerably less with a safety squat bar, and if so how much less? Does this point to a specific weakness that I should be focusing on?

Travis Bell
11-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, most people do much much less with a SSB. I think my PR is around 550 raw with the SSB. because it really pushes your core in contrast to allowing you to really get your hams into it.

Lones Green
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
i wouldn't worry about exactly how much less you'll squat with the SSB. it will vary from person to person. just know you are probably going to squat a lot less, especially if its your first time using it.

the first time i used it i struggled with 365.

SSB is a great tool in the arsenal.

ehubbard
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Ox,

That bar sucks balls, especially when you are a tall bastard. A 110 lb difference at 6'8" does not sound that out of the ordinary. That bar handed me my a$$ this past weekend so I feel your pain. I think it also helps if you make sure you press hard against the handles. Try and almost push the bar over your shoulders and it will help keep the bar from throwing you onto your face.

bigmoney
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I think it also helps if you make sure you press hard against the handles. Try and almost push the bar over your shoulders and it will help keep the bar from throwing you onto your face.

My training partner told me to not push up on the handles. If you do this, it causes your upper back to round forward and then you will have very little chance with the SSB since we all know that it throws you forward as well.

I really like the SSB and it helped me alot. Lots of GM's and low box/close stance squats.

Travis Bell
11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Big money is right. Some of the guys at Westside don't even hold on to the handles

vdizenzo
11-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I push up on the handles.

ehubbard
11-11-2008, 05:56 AM
For me pushing on the handles is just a way for me to make sure that I keep my back arched. The SSB at my gym is one of those el cheapo bar's so perhaps that plays a role as well.

Ox, have you tried the 14 inch cambered bar?

drew
11-11-2008, 06:15 AM
SSB will make you feel like a weak bitch when you first start using it. But it will also make you strong.

BigTallOx
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Ox, have you tried the 14 inch cambered bar?

No, not yet.

AdamBAG
11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I intentionally don't use the handles b/c I've had some upper back rounding problems and not getting my chest up.

I reach outside and grab close to the plates. This really makes me force my chest up and force my squat position. We used the SSB for our dynamic work leading up to my last meet a few weeks ago.

I also really like the SSB for GMs.