PDA

View Full Version : carbs and cutting?

jocs
11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
am i supposed to eat alot of carbs while cutting? or am i supposed to eat as little as possible?

or are there certain times of the day i should be eating carbs on a cut and other times of the day where i should not be eating any?

can somebody please explain this to me...

cphafner
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
You need to eat less calories than you burn. Doesn't matter if it comes from fat, carbs, or protein. Less cals than expended = weight loss. There are fancier diets out there, but that is the basic gist.

Tom Mutaffis
11-11-2008, 06:48 AM
am i supposed to eat alot of carbs while cutting? or am i supposed to eat as little as possible?

or are there certain times of the day i should be eating carbs on a cut and other times of the day where i should not be eating any?

can somebody please explain this to me...

What are your goals Jocs? Why are you trying to "cut"?

Generally most people will restrict carbohydrates in order to bring their body into ketosis which will enable you to burn more fat. The downside is that low carb 24 hrs/day will zap your energy levels. Solution would be to eat low glycemic carbohydrates, these are carbs that take longer to digest therefore not causing as much of an insulin spike and keeping your blood sugar more stable. Another tip is to eat "fast carbs" like fruits prior to training for a boost in energy. This pretty much follows the South Beach Diet which seems to be effective for those in the bodybuilding / strength / fitness arena.

- Eat a lot of lean meat.
- Find a good protein supplement that incorporates whey, egg, and casein (Nitrean by AtLarge Nutrition is ranked as one of the best in the world)
- Only take in low glycemic carbs: pumpernickle or whole grains, apricots, broccoli, high fiber foods.
- Do not eat carbs after 6:00 or 7:00 PM.
- Space out your meals into 5-6 small servings.

anonymous1
11-11-2008, 06:51 AM
This question is stupid...there is no way to answer it. You're supposed to eat in a way that meets your individual calorie requirements for your specific goals.

General answer: Eat a lot of carbs, but not while exceeding your calorie requirements. You want to eat carbs upon waking, and pre/post workout.

jocs
11-11-2008, 03:16 PM
@ cphafner, that was the answer i was hoping for lol

@ tom, i'm cutting because i just finished a bulk, bodyfat is around 17% right now, gonna cut down to maybe 12% or so and then start bulking again.

Tom Mutaffis
11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
General answer: Eat a lot of carbs, but not while exceeding your calorie requirements. You want to eat carbs upon waking, and pre/post workout.

Agreed.

Jocs - if you are currently at 17% bodyfat then I would restrict carbs with the exception of breakfast, low glycemic snacks, and pre/post workout.

CrazyK
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
It's something you can tinker in within eating less then you burn. Make sure you have enough to train effectively and keep your brain fed. Try to keep the carbs around your workout...

Other than that it's really up to comfort.

ryuage
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Carbs are usually lowered because it's the easiest to manipulate.

Protein and fats are essential while carbs are not... so get adequate protein and fats and fill up the rest of your allotted calories with carbs.