PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans S&C Manual

Crankman
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/fanzone/Texans%20strength%20manual.pdf

Here the link, im surprised to find this available on the internet.

-Lots of stuff on nutrition.

its a long read..anyway have fun!

WillNoble
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
"Page cannot be found"

Crankman
11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
fixed!

WillNoble
11-11-2008, 03:42 PM
A VERY underwhelming piece.

I wouldt waste your time with this one. Some incredibly watered down dietary info, some laughable diets, and hardly any training info whatsoever.

Pick up Jamie Hale's Maxcondition or Read up on Joe Defrancos training methods, and you will far exceed this manual.

It was fun to read for novelty's sake though

jed
11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
no wonder the texans arent often times successful!

WillNoble
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
well that coupled with the fact that the vast majority of NFL players rely on personal trainers and coaches outside of the organization to aid in their preparation

Ben Moore
11-11-2008, 08:03 PM
well that coupled with the fact that the vast majority of NFL players rely on personal trainers and coaches outside of the organization to aid in their preparation

Liar!

WillNoble
11-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Liar!

ok, who let ben back in the booze cabinet again?

AJL11
11-12-2008, 07:03 AM
What a Joke.......I find it hard to believe that any player actually read thru that manual....I didn't!!!!I would expect more from an NFL S&C staff....I have seen numerous collegiate programs that are a joke, but I figured the NFL would be on a higher level....... The staffs philosophy seems more like a basic Fitness Model...Not a sport specific training program...

Check out the Bibliography!!!!!

WillNoble
11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Check out the Bibliography!!!!!

that was the first thing I did, and I must say I LoL'ed a little bit when I saw what I did

Guido
11-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are your best source of energy. The body can break carbohydrates down into a usable source of energy rapidly. It is the best health food you can eat. It is the jet fuel of food. Sixty percent of your daily caloric intake should come in the form of carbohydrates. Good sources of carbohydrates include bread, grains, cereals, pastas, fruits, and vegetables. 60% of your daily caloric intake should come in the form of
carbohydrates.

Fats
Fat is a poor source of energy. It takes the body a long time to break it down into a usable fuel. If the body cannot break it down to a usable source of energy it stores it as fat in the body. There are two types of fat, saturated and unsaturated. Saturated fats include animal fats which is damaging when too much is consumed. Other common sources of saturated fat include butter, margarine, cream, salad dressings, cheese, shortening, whole milk, fried foods, chocolate, and many pastries. Unsaturated fats are less harmful. Examples include corn oil, olive oil and peanut oil.
The additional fat serves no value except to insulate the body and make it more buoyant. Unless you plan on swimming a long distance in cold water, there’s no advantage to adding any excess fat to your body.
Only 25% of your daily caloric intake should come in the form of fat.

Protein
Protein is primarily used to rebuild and repair muscle. It is broken down into amino acids for the muscles and other tissues to use. It is a poor source of energy. Most people consume far more protein than they need. Excess protein is converted to fat and stored in the body, or excreted in your waste products. Good sources of protein include dairy products, lean meats, fish, and chicken. Protein pills and powders (including amino acids) are a waste of money. Amino acids became the “super potion” of the 1990’s. However, the literature states that the body can obtain all essential amino acids from a balanced diet.
Additional protein supplementation is both expensive and unnecessary. Covert Bailey, a fitness expert, states, “A growing body of evidence indicates that consuming too much protein is not only foolish; it can be harmful.”

Yikes! Well that explains why the Texans always suck. Talk about HORRIBLE nutritional advice.

WillNoble
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2247/64064697id8.jpg

If thats not a great Biblio, I dont know what is...

Nautilus Magazine FTW!

Crankman
11-12-2008, 11:36 AM
read on another site ....the author biggest influence is Arhtur Jones!

When i read it thr first time i said;Its not good at all..very different from Defranco stuff...

At least im happy to see im not the only one...this book had great review on another site!

AJL11
11-12-2008, 12:14 PM
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2247/64064697id8.jpg

If thats not a great Biblio, I dont know what is...

Nautilus Magazine FTW!

Who the hell has a bibliography attached to a strength and conditioning program anyway......I have no problem with giving people credit, but for 1., the players could care less....and 2. strength and conditioning philosophies are created by stealing other peoples ideas, modifying them, and then selling them off as your own philosophy..There is no need to site them....I have seen many times, (I have done the same) where a S&C coach will dog a certain program or philosophy and then end up putting tidbits of that program (the ones they were dogging) into their own.

An NFL strength coach should be embarrassed to site Nautilus Magazine....

Isaac Wilkins
11-13-2008, 04:22 AM
I haven't read it yet, so I'll give a review when I'm done. I know that the S&C Coach at Houston used to be with Baltimore and is a big HIT guy. One of my buddies did an internship there and was brainwashed into HIT for athletes. I'm not surprised to hear that he considered Arthur Jones to be one of his biggest influences.

It's a good way to build slower, less effective athletes.

Edit: Penn State (still) and Michigan (used to) train HIT-style. Those athletes succeed in spite of their training, rather than because of their training. Look at Michigan this year. They sucked, but it wasn't because of their physical qualities. All of the athletes were commenting that they felt stronger and faster this year, even after just one summer with the new strength coach.

Guido
11-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I also noticed that the most recent article citations are from 1995. Talk about outdated information.