PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you strong powerlifters

Daone
11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I am stuck on rack deads. I can't get the freaking thing up for a single no matter how much I pull.

The thing is I feel like I should be able to get at least 1 because it is only 40lbs more total. But I am not even getting it off the rack! WTF?

I get 545lbs for 3 but I can't get 585lbs for 1??

I seriously do not know what I am doing wrong since I can't even budge it off the freaking rack.

Any suggestion from you strong Mo-Fo'ers! :D :D

rbtrout
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Instead of a 40 pound jump, have you tried 20 or 30? I was stuck at 585 for 3 for a while. I kept trying 635 and couldn't budge it. I figured instead of a big weight jump, I'd go only 10 pounds heavier. Voila, 595 came up for 1. A few weeks later, 595 is up for 3-4 reps and 605 is now 1 rep. That seems to be working for me.

Daone
11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Instead of a 40 pound jump, have you tried 20 or 30? I was stuck at 585 for 3 for a while. I kept trying 635 and couldn't budge it. I figured instead of a big weight jump, I'd go only 10 pounds heavier. Voila, 595 came up for 1. A few weeks later, 595 is up for 3-4 reps and 605 is now 1 rep. That seems to be working for me.

Not a bad idea but 10lbs jump on a deadlift? Seems kind of weak huh? :) but I guess if I can't get it up I must do that then.

rbtrout
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I think just like that, too. 10 pounds on a dead, what a pussy I am, but, over time, it pays off and works. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Ben Moore
11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Vary the heights you're pulling from.

Daone
11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I think just like that, too. 10 pounds on a dead, what a pussy I am, but, over time, it pays off and works. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

True, I will see how it goes next week

Vary the heights you're pulling from.

Now why didn't I think of that!

Since we are along the lines of height, I have it on the first hole (the lowest) this is correct for a rack dead no?

Tom Mutaffis
11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Since we are along the lines of height, I have it on the first hole (the lowest) this is correct for a rack dead no?

Are you doing them to improve a sticking point or just to handle more weight?

A lot of people get stuck just below their knee so that is where they do rack pulls from (15-17"). If you are doing them simply as an overload then you would want to start just above your knee and do "lockouts" - 19-21" starting position.

It is tough to get that explosiveness from the rack, I had an 18" pull in a strongman contest and took me quite a bit of training before I could actually rip the weights off of the rack. Body positioning and setup are important here.

Daone
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Are you doing them to improve a sticking point or just to handle more weight?

A lot of people get stuck just below their knee so that is where they do rack pulls from (15-17"). If you are doing them simply as an overload then you would want to start just above your knee and do "lockouts" - 19-21" starting position.

It is tough to get that explosiveness from the rack, I had an 18" pull in a strongman contest and took me quite a bit of training before I could actually rip the weights off of the rack. Body positioning and setup are important here.

Yup exactly why and how I am doing them, to handle more weight and get some overall mass.

So I am on the right track, just need to get my freaking strength up! :)

Dave Schwab
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Vary your bar height, as Ben said earlier. And as Tom mentioned, it's tough to get explosiveness from the rack, particularly in the bottom hole. Most of the time when pulling from the rack, you're going to set the pins at a sticking point, which usually is somewhere mid-shin to knee. Overloads above the knee. I'd suggest going up to pin 3 or 4, whichever is just below your knees at your height, pull there for 2-3 weeks, then drop down to pin 1 and see if you improved. It would also be interesting to see how you can handle 545 and 585 full range from the floor, where you can drop your hips to get that explosiveness.

rbtrout
11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I just started doing different heights, as well. It sure makes a difference.

HP666
11-12-2008, 04:29 PM
The Tortoise wins the race.

Lones Green
11-12-2008, 05:34 PM
The Tortoise wins the race.

truf!

are you used to straining and pulling heavy singles? this may be the problem. i know you are a bodybuilder, and may not utilize singles, as you don't necessarily need to.

more time under heavy weight should do the trick. also, all of the information in this thread is great.

ZenMonkey
11-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I was having trouble off of the ground and did deficit pulls for 2 weeks. Those gave me a 70lb PR when I went back to normal 45s!

joey54
11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I was having trouble off of the ground and did deficit pulls for 2 weeks. Those gave me a 70lb PR when I went back to normal 45s!

I think the OP is just looking at rack deads as size exercise though, not to supplement or improve his deadlift numbers. If he was though, the deficit deads would be an excellent idea.

Daone
11-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I think the OP is just looking at rack deads as size exercise though, not to supplement or improve his deadlift numbers. If he was though, the deficit deads would be an excellent idea.

Yes I am looking for overall mass, I do my deadlifts on Tuesdays after my leg day on Monday that is why I do rack deads instead of traditional deads, to keep my legs out of the lift.

Not looking to improve my numbers on my deadlift, would be nice :), but that is not my main concern.

Dave Schwab
11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes I am looking for overall mass, I do my deadlifts on Tuesdays after my leg day on Monday that is why I do rack deads instead of traditional deads, to keep my legs out of the lift.

Not looking to improve my numbers on my deadlift, would be nice :), but that is not my main concern.

Would've been good to know up front :)

The suggestion to vary your rack height is still valid for building mass, and bringing the pins up a hole or two will target your back even more.

Daone
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Would've been good to know up front :)

The suggestion to vary your rack height is still valid for building mass, and bringing the pins up a hole or two will target your back even more.

Sorry about that :(

The lowest pin is just below my knee anything higher will be by my thighs would that be OK? Seems like I would just be standing up.

Sorry about asking so many question new to this power lifting style workout. I have always done traditional deads

Dave Schwab
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
How tall are you? That will have a lot to do with pin height selection. The higher the pin, the less your lower back and hamstrings are involved, and the more your upper back will be involved. Pulling from knee level will really hammer your upper back and traps if you can hold at lockout, particularly since you can "overload" and pull a heavier weight than you can at a lower pin setting.

Daone
11-13-2008, 10:07 AM
How tall are you? That will have a lot to do with pin height selection. The higher the pin, the less your lower back and hamstrings are involved, and the more your upper back will be involved. Pulling from knee level will really hammer your upper back and traps if you can hold at lockout, particularly since you can "overload" and pull a heavier weight than you can at a lower pin setting.

I am short 5'8"

RhodeHouse
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Full range movements will always give you more gains than partials. Change your workouts so you can pull 3-4 days after squatting.

Daone
11-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Full range movements will always give you more gains than partials. Change your workouts so you can pull 3-4 days after squatting.

I was doing that type of workout prior to coming on this site. I.e I was doing legs on Monday and Back on Thursdays.

I am looking to gain some overall mass and was told this split would help in an that perspective.

Daone
11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Update, Got the 585 for 2 yesterday! Damn that felt good!!:strong::clap:

rbtrout
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Cool, good job!

Now, I've got a question - what are deficit deads?

Mosnar
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure deficit deads are done while standing on a box (small - usually 3 or 4 inches) or with 25's on the bar instead of 45's to lengthen the ROM.

Dave Schwab
11-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure deficit deads are done while standing on a box (small - usually 3 or 4 inches) or with 25's on the bar instead of 45's to lengthen the ROM.

Correct. You can also stand on piled up rugs, mats, or anything else that can support the weight and keep you stable when you stand on it. The object is to start the bar closer to your toes, so that you're pulling farther than you would with a standard full range deadlift.

RhodeHouse
11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I was doing that type of workout prior to coming on this site. I.e I was doing legs on Monday and Back on Thursdays.

I am looking to gain some overall mass and was told this split would help in an that perspective.

My first question is always, how big was this person that gave you this info? If you want to get big, ask big people. I don't like the idea of hitting legs and then trying to pull the next day. It just seems stupid to me. But, do what you will.