PDA

View Full Version : Food Allergy Testing?

NormalDude
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I searched on the boards and couldnt find this anywhere. So I have heard there are tests that can tell you what foods your allergic to. Is this true or a bunch of crap? Has anyone ever done this?

ryuage
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
eat X, feel bad, = not good/probably have some sort of allergy

bass slayer
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
yeah i think you can actually. I would ask your doctor to see if any one does that anyway

NormalDude
11-12-2008, 04:48 PM
yeah i think you can actually. I would ask your doctor to see if any one does that anyway

Well when I went to the doctor he was telling me its BS but he is kinda old school so I am not sure.

Progress
11-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes.

When I was an infant up to about 12-13 I was allergic to a lot of stuff: most meats, milk, all nuts, many fats, some grains, etc.

Luckily, relatively speaking, the only thing I'm allergic to now are nuts (excluding almonds).

Anyway, I'm not sure how it's done now but they used to have a test like any other allergy test where they put a sample of the food on your arm and then a small incision is made. If it raises up or swells too much then the doctor determines whether you are allergic to a given food.

NormalDude
11-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Where do these kind of tests take place?

hellagrant
11-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I never got them done personally, but I know some people who did. It seems like they can be done at most general medical clinics. What they do is give you a bunch of shots, after 15 minutes whichever hole shows signs of allergic reactions will tell you what you are allergic too. Very primitive process.

Pete22
11-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I actually just took one today. I had an allergic reaction to shellfish recently, and I saw an allergist that ordered a RAST blood test for me. He's testing me for all types of shellfish and seafood. Depending on the results, I might have to take a scratch test where they actually prick your skin with some of the allergen they are testing for (nuts, fish, dust, pollen, etc.) and see if there is a reaction.

So to answer your question, yes there are tests for this that an allergist can perform for you.

bass slayer
11-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I never got them done personally, but I know some people who did. It seems like they can be done at most general medical clinics. What they do is give you a bunch of shots, after 15 minutes whichever hole shows signs of allergic reactions will tell you what you are allergic too. Very primitive process.

yeah i had that done once before when i was younger.