PDA

View Full Version : Bench press problem

Viking_Power
11-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I've been having some decent strength gains in my bench press, not great, but decent. I feel like I have good form, shoulders tight, elbows not flared out, a full range of motion, and straight bar path with a moderate weight .

My problem is every time I go for a max, or close to it, the bar drifts up, twords my face. I've got a good spotter so it's not like I'm too worried about dropping it on my face, but I feel like I have more power if I could stay down with the bar. It's just tough to do when I have a max weight on the bar. Any suggestions on how I can keep my bar path straight so that it stops drifting upwards?

Reko
11-12-2008, 09:06 PM
More upper back work

Viking_Power
11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
More upper back work

Right now I've got BB & DB rows, shrugs, and pullups in my routine. Do you think it would be a good idea to add more exercises, or just increase the volume or weight of the ones I am doing?

Eric Downey
11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
oook. I tend to do this my self from time to time when I use a max weight myself, but its few and far between. i would try benihcing with heavy band tenision for a few workouts. It'll make you push in the straight line. As far as the upeer back work make sure you doing it heavy. Like sets of 5 to 8.

Travis Bell
11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
band tension isn't a bad idea. I used to have this problem, but don't anymore. Lots of lat work helped keep it steady, but IMO its the rear delts that made it stay over my chest. Even in my shirt now I'm a pretty straight line bencher

pocoloco blanka
11-12-2008, 10:40 PM
i agree with travis. strong rear delts is a must. shoulder strenght is needed for a strong belly bench..

Viking_Power
11-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Alright, I need to get some bands. Just got chains last week, and I look forward to adding bands soon. It makes sense that I need to strengthen my lats, I feel like they are lagging anyways. I will figure something out. Thanks alot for the advice, I really appreciate it guys.