PDA

View Full Version : sound change to my squatting?

huskybear
11-12-2008, 10:34 PM
After taking an honest look at my squatting, I've concluded that I'm a pussy and not hitting depth at all. Part of the problem has been my use of a box of excess height that I obviously kidded myself into thinking was good. With this new honesty, I decided today on DE day to forgo the box speed squats and tried for 3 sets of 10, ensuring that I went down as far as I could and focused on my form over weight- from proper low bar position to keeping my arch and trying to sit back... felt like it worked as the squats killed me, went as low as I could, and finally felt like the squat was effortless and in the proper groove.

My question is simply this - will several weeks of doing this repetition work to help with my depth be a good decision in place of the speed squats? I've read all the discussion of speed squats and I'll admit I'm lost with it.

I don't plan on competing and don't use any gear, just want to keep getting stronger, but doing it properly. Am I on the right path?

BigTallOx
11-12-2008, 11:58 PM
My question is simply this - will several weeks of doing this repetition work to help with my depth be a good decision in place of the speed squats?

Well, I'm relatively new to powerlifting, but IMHO, NO don't replace DE squats. Personally, I attribute my gains in both squats and bench to my DE work, not my ME work. IMHO, continue doing DE squats maybe dropping the weight some, but if you're aren't getting depth work on hip flexibility, apart from your current DE training, not instead of it.

In terms of not getting depth, I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but if you aren't competing, and you're missing depth by an inch, then so what, IMHO.

Lones Green
11-13-2008, 03:16 AM
you might do some form work and make sure you're hitting depth before your speed work. just make sure you're using a box the right height, and you'll be good.

huskybear
11-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, I'm relatively new to powerlifting, but IMHO, NO don't replace DE squats. Personally, I attribute my gains in both squats and bench to my DE work, not my ME work. IMHO, continue doing DE squats maybe dropping the weight some, but if you're aren't getting depth work on hip flexibility, apart from your current DE training, not instead of it.

In terms of not getting depth, I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but if you aren't competing, and you're missing depth by an inch, then so what, IMHO.

BTO, my depth had a bit to do with flexibility, which I've addressed, but more with using a too high box for too long... even when I took the box away for ME work, I didn't feel as though I could get low enough... and it wasn't just an an inch, otherwise I'd be there with you saying who cares too... I was routinely probably 4-5 inches too high... I figure if I'm going to do this I'd best do it correctly :)

I'm thinking that Lones has a good idea also... like you both say, keep the DE squat, but instead I'll do some pre-squats with a goal of hitting depthd.

The next key will be finding a box - I train at a commercial gym and have used a bench to squat too - the rack is crappy so trying to get something in to raise me up to create a lower bench hasn't been feasible, so I'll have to figure something out...

anyway, thanks guys

BigTallOx
11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking that Lones has a good idea also... like you both say, keep the DE squat, but instead I'll do some pre-squats with a goal of hitting depthd.

I kind of do that before I squat. I'll hold on to the power rack ( for a little stability ) and I'll get down into a really low squat ( way below where I'd squat to ) and I'll just move back and forth working my hips a little. I think it's helped a lot.

Reko
11-13-2008, 08:32 AM
What is your experience? Waht are your maxes? How big are you?

huskybear
11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
What is your experience? Waht are your maxes? How big are you?

I have been doing the westside style template on and off for about 4 years, having taken it seriously the past 10 months and kept consistent over this time. I'm 33 yo, 5'11", 235lbs.

I've lifted since I was 17, when I lifted for football, and use to actually be a good squatter, but after getting away from it, it's gone down the toilet. My maxes are only 300lbs squat, 405 deadlift and 285 bench.

When I warm up with mobility work, I get my self down in a good deep squat position like BTO is saying, but when it comes to the weight I just don't get deep enough. I think I've just been sloppy and messed up my technique and need to figure a good way to bring it back together...

RhodeHouse
11-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I think DE work is a waste. I'd do sets of 3-5 iin the 50-70% range, nstead of DE work. And, I'd only squat 1x per week. In my opinion, 2x is too much. But, we're all different.

Jorge Sanchez
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
With a 300lb squat you don't need DE work. You can still progress quite nicely without it.

huskybear
11-14-2008, 12:37 AM
I think DE work is a waste. I'd do sets of 3-5 iin the 50-70% range, nstead of DE work. And, I'd only squat 1x per week. In my opinion, 2x is too much. But, we're all different.

How do you set up your training then, if I replace my DE squats with 5 sets of 3-5 reps, how does ME work factor in? Do I select ME exercises that aren't squatting? and then on DE day just do this training moving up to the 70% in the final sets? This is what confuses me, I'm not sure how to balance these 2 days with this change...

Sidior
11-14-2008, 12:51 AM
With a 300lb squat you don't need DE work. You can still progress quite nicely without it.

How do you set up your training then, if I replace my DE squats with 5 sets of 3-5 reps, how does ME work factor in? Do I select ME exercises that aren't squatting? and then on DE day just do this training moving up to the 70% in the final sets? This is what confuses me, I'm not sure how to balance these 2 days with this change...

I think the point Jorge and Rhodes were making is with a 300lb squat, speed work is not the issue right now. Sticking to sets of 3-5 will help you build up a much larger muscular and strength base. There is no need to complicate things so much right now. Straight linear periodization will still work wonders for you.

huskybear
11-14-2008, 01:00 AM
I think the point Jorge and Rhodes were making is with a 300lb squat, speed work is not the issue right now. Sticking to sets of 3-5 will help you build up a much larger muscular and strength base. There is no need to complicate things so much right now. Straight linear periodization will still work wonders for you.

Ok, I see... so simple yet wasn't getting it... much appreciated