PDA

View Full Version : Which squat style has the best carryover to your deadlift?

freeride
11-13-2008, 11:08 AM
If I'm a conventional puller with a fairly narrow foot spacing, should I squat with similar spacing for best carryover to my deadlift?

I'm not a great wide squatter, but squat very well Olympic style. Should I work on wide squats to improve hip power and glutes?

Basically which squat style most improved your deadlift?

chris mason
11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Squat in the fashion that will give you the best squat if you are a powerlifter.

In terms of helping your dead, partial squats done with the same foot stance you use for deadlifting are great. You can do these as an adjunct to your normal squat training after deadlifting.

Reko
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I pull conventional and squat sumo, I think the wide squats helped build my hip power, which helped the DL. I don't pull often anymore and am still hitting good PRs on the DL so I guess it is working.

Kenny Croxdale
11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Squat in the fashion that will give you the best squat if you are a powerlifter.

In terms of helping your dead, partial squats done with the same foot stance you use for deadlifting are great. You can do these as an adjunct to your normal squat training after deadlifting.

Chris is right on the money!

Kenny Croxdale

freeride
11-13-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm a strongman, so numbers-wise, the deadlift is more important. In that case, where I'm not looking for particularly big numbers in the squat (I squat in the mid-500s raw, Olympic-style), does that change your answer? Thanks for the help, guys.

Reko
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm a strongman, so numbers-wise, the deadlift is more important. In that case, where I'm not looking for particularly big numbers in the squat (I squat in the mid-500s raw, Olympic-style), does that change your answer? Thanks for the help, guys.

Ask Ben Moore.

what is your DL at right now?

Tom Mutaffis
11-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Freeride - Do you train with Ryan Brown or are you over with the M-Unit guys like Ernest and Nick Brugal?

Front squats seem to have helped my deadlift the most, and as Chris Mason mentioned the partial squats from the pins are also very good since it is similar positioning to how you would initiate the pull.

With that being said if you are looking to imrpove your deadlift why not do things like rack pulls, bands, chains, rack partials, etc. and save the squatting for accessory work (I will box squat, front squat, or high rep OLY squat about once or twice a month each).

Guido
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM

In terms of helping your dead, partial squats done with the same foot stance you use for deadlifting are great. You can do these as an adjunct to your normal squat training after deadlifting.What he said.

freeride
11-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Freeride - Do you train with Ryan Brown or are you over with the M-Unit guys like Ernest and Nick Brugal?

Front squats seem to have helped my deadlift the most, and as Chris Mason mentioned the partial squats from the pins are also very good since it is similar positioning to how you would initiate the pull.

With that being said if you are looking to imrpove your deadlift why not do things like rack pulls, bands, chains, rack partials, etc. and save the squatting for accessory work (I will box squat, front squat, or high rep OLY squat about once or twice a month each).

I do train with Ryan, although I've had some family issues and haven't trained with the crew in a month or so. I hope to be back by December.

I do work in front squats quite a bit, and partial squats sound like they would work well.

I am currently doing the CP Deadlift routine and love it, so I've got plenty of back accessory work at the moment. I currently am rehabbing a slight shoulder injury and can't press until December, so I was hoping to really work my deadlift during this time. You don't squat pretty much every week?

I currently pull a bit over 600lbs or so. I've got TERRIBLE leverages, at 6'5" with average arms and the world's longest torso, but my pull's getting better all the time.

Ben Moore
11-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Front squats seem to have helped my deadlift the most,

I second all of this.

freeride
11-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Ok, let me break this down to a very simple question. If I currently squat once a week, and I pull conventional with a fairly narrow stance, should I squat narrow to mimic the deadlift stance? Or should I squat wide to build up the hips and glutes? Like I said, I'm doing PLENTY for my back through the Coan Phillipi routine and I'm getting results, but I'd just like to know which squat style would assist my deadlift the most. Thanks again for the other options, and I will take them into consideration, but this is the question that has been stuck in my head for a few days.

chris mason
11-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, let me break this down to a very simple question. If I currently squat once a week, and I pull conventional with a fairly narrow stance, should I squat narrow to mimic the deadlift stance? Or should I squat wide to build up the hips and glutes? Like I said, I'm doing PLENTY for my back through the Coan Phillipi routine and I'm getting results, but I'd just like to know which squat style would assist my deadlift the most. Thanks again for the other options, and I will take them into consideration, but this is the question that has been stuck in my head for a few days.

To answer your question directly, the narrow stance squat.

Lones Green
11-13-2008, 09:57 PM
squat super wide and pull wide :evillaugh:

Ben Moore
11-13-2008, 10:21 PM

I think a moderate stance for a raw lifter is the way to go. I squatted this way for quite a while before turning to PL from Strongman and my dl was never higher.

Sensei
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
box squats

thewicked
11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
zercher squats..or wider stance squats if your hips can take it tend to do wonders for most guys deadlifts especially at the lockout portion.

BigTallOx
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not a great wide squatter, but squat very well Olympic style. Should I work on wide squats to improve hip power and glutes?

Me too ( ie I don't squat really wide ) and (used to) pull conventional. I'm finding that I pull just as good sumo lately, which wasn't the case when I started powerlifting. Maybe pulling is just the first thing to go start going wide. That is, maybe pulling sumo will eventually make me feel more comfortable squatting wide too ( it's slow but I can kind of see this happening already for me). Anything to limit my range of motion would be great.

IMHO, maybe you should try pulling sumo (as well as conventional), it could help your squats.

Ben Moore
11-18-2008, 02:17 AM
What freeride didn't tell you is that he competes in strongman and therefore needs to pull conventional

LionLord
11-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Tough to decide between zercher squats and good morning squats...