PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift questions

rbtrout
11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I've seen both the narrow stance and wide stance deads. I've only done narrow stance.
Would wide stance help me out on my narrow stance?
What about the Ukranian deads I read about in another post. That's some serious s***. Would those help me out, as well?

Thanks guys.

deeder
11-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Doing some sumo deadlifts will strengthen your hips and hamstrings. So, if your weak spot in a conventional stance deadlift is off the floor, then yes, doing some sumo will help you out.

I'm not sure what Ukranian deadlifts are? Link?

rbtrout
11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Cool, thanks for the response. That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure.
Vid for Ukranian Deads - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldcUOi467Y

deeder
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Hmmm that looks interesting. I think I've heard of some Russian powerlifters that do something similar to that with kettlebells. I don't know if I'd do them as a stiff leg rounded back kind of thing though... I'd probably try to get my hips real low and do my best to keep my back straight. I'm not really sure what the advantage of doing them with a rounded back like that is...

Ben Moore
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Hmmm that looks interesting. I think I've heard of some Russian powerlifters that do something similar to that with kettlebells. I don't know if I'd do them as a stiff leg rounded back kind of thing though... I'd probably try to get my hips real low and do my best to keep my back straight. I'm not really sure what the advantage of doing them with a rounded back like that is...

It's really just more of a hip exercise. They will absolutely thrash your hips. We've started doing them with a heavy kb and chains. Great exercise.

Lones Green
11-13-2008, 08:59 PM
i've been doing ukranians for awhile, they are great. Louie says to do them like the ukranians do, 2 x 20. KB's are easiest, but DB's will work if you don't have KB's.

rbtrout
11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
I wondered about them, thus the question. With db's, I don't know if I could get low enough to pick them up. Not sure how to proceed on those.