PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy chalk other then online

brihead301
11-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Me, being the procrastinator I am, always waits until the last minute to do things. My deadlifts have really been held back lately due to lack of chalk. I'm going to be doing deads again today, and I wanted to make sure I had some chalk before I get to the gym. I was planning on going out on my lunch break at work to get some, but the friggin sporting goods stores in my area said that they don't sell chalk when I called them, wtf????

How do sporting goods stores not have chalk?

I'm wondering if maybe Walmart or something may have it, but I don't know. I plan on going out to look in some stores on my lunch, but I was just wondering if anyone happens to know what stores sell it.

Thanks.

Sensei
11-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Hiking/climbing/outdoors sporting goods stores usually carry chalk for climbers.

brihead301
11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Good thought. Thanks. Unfortunately, the closest one of those type of places is like a half hour from me. If I don't find anything on my lunch break, then I'll have to take a trip over there later today before I go to the gym. I shouldn't procrastinate, lol.

I can't believe that the major sporting goods stores in my area don't sell chalk though. I bet they just didn't feel like looking when I called. I'm gonna have to check it out anyway on my lunch.

Reko
11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
What sensei said. That's where I get mine if I don't go online. Anyplace that specializes in gymnastics stuff might have some too.

Reko
11-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Can you not buy online? It will probably be cheaper to buy a whole pound of blocks and then use them as tokens of appreciation when you go to fellow home gyms lol.

brihead301
11-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Nah, I'm gonna pick some up online if I don't find any today, but I was just trying to get some today before I go to the gym. If I don't end up getting any, I'll just have to deadlift with sweaty hands like usual one more time. It's kind of a last minute thing because of my being lazy and putting things off to the last minute.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

TheVrolok
11-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I know you said other than online, but you just can't beat it. :) http://store.wfwclub.com/chalk.html

Tom Mutaffis
11-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Sports Authority sells gym chalk. If you called and they say that they don't tell them to look near the sports support stuff (knee braces, athletic tape, etc.). Chances are that a lot of people who you speak with over the phone might not know what gym chalk is and just tell you 'no'.

If you are going to get it online I would recommend APT www.prowriststraps.com - he ships out very quickly and has many options.

brihead301
11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Ya that's what I was thinking Tom. I'm gonna shoot over there on my lunch in about an hour to look for myself. I can't wait to see what it's like to deadlift with chalk. It's probably gonna make a world of difference.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

TheVrolok
11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Sports Authority sells gym chalk. If you called and they say that they don't tell them to look near the sports support stuff (knee braces, athletic tape, etc.). Chances are that a lot of people who you speak with over the phone might not know what gym chalk is and just tell you 'no'.

If you are going to get it online I would recommend APT www.prowriststraps.com - he ships out very quickly and has many options.

I actually went to my Sports Authority looking for chalk the other day .. no such luck. :( F'ing Sports Authority. :(

brihead301
11-14-2008, 09:24 AM
My gym should just freakin have chalk. They're going for the whole powerlifting vibe rather then the typical health club crap, so they should just have chalk there too. I'm going to ask if I can donate a chalk holder thing to them.

BTW, I checked out Ironsport on Monday, and it was awesome!!!

The guy who runs/owns the place, Steve, was the worlds strongest man in 1994. He was pretty cool. I'm gonna get a membership there I think. It's just a pain in the ass driving there when my current gym is only 5 minutes away from my house, and it is better then any crappy health club joint. I think I may just have 2 gym memberships. We'll see.

Lones Green
11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
My gym should just freakin have chalk. They're going for the whole powerlifting vibe rather then the typical health club crap, so they should just have chalk there too. I'm going to ask if I can donate a chalk holder thing to them.

BTW, I checked out Ironsport on Monday, and it was awesome!!!

The guy who runs/owns the place, Steve, was the worlds strongest man in 1994. He was pretty cool. I'm gonna get a membership there I think. It's just a pain in the ass driving there when my current gym is only 5 minutes away from my house, and it is better then any crappy health club joint. I think I may just have 2 gym memberships. We'll see.

sounds like you have everything you need to get strong.

brihead301
11-14-2008, 11:00 AM
And strong I will be...

BFGUITAR
11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
You know...you could just crush up some chalkboard chalk and use that. It's probably cheaper too lol.

Guido
11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Hiking/climbing/outdoors sporting goods stores usually carry chalk for climbers.I used to get it from a local army surplus store that also sells climbing and camping gear. That was until my father in law procured me a whole pound of chalk (like 12 bricks of it) from the school district where he works. I guess they used it for the gymnastics team.

Detard
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
You know...you could just crush up some chalkboard chalk and use that. It's probably cheaper too lol.

If i'm not mistaken, i'm pretty sure its different stuff than the blocks that we buy.

Brihead - If you want, I can get you a couple blocks of chalk for 5$ each. I work at a powerlifting store.

brihead301
11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Detard. But I just ordered online today. I had to go to the gym again and do deads chalkless, which caused me to not hit my target 5 reps again. I checked some sporting goods stores and walmart, but no luck. No rock climbing stores near me either. Oh well.

Lones Green
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
the chalk you would use is magnesium carbonate, i do believe its different than chalk you would use on a chalkboard.

huskybear
11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
If i'm not mistaken, i'm pretty sure its different stuff than the blocks that we buy.

Brihead - If you want, I can get you a couple blocks of chalk for 5$ each. I work at a powerlifting store.

where's the store at dude! I need to get some stuff! PM me and let me know! I work in the east end, which is just a short drive to you I hope!

BFGUITAR
11-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Yeh chalkboard chalk is calcium carbonate while weightlifting chalk is magnesium carbonate. They both have very similar properties and both do the job they we need... to dry our hands and give us better grip.

Reko
11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeh chalkboard chalk is calcium carbonate while weightlifting chalk is magnesium carbonate. They both have very similar properties and both do the job they we need... to dry our hands and give us better grip.

Damn science nerds. :hello:

BFGUITAR
11-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I made a mistake... chalkboard chalk is calcium sulphate. Ive used it in the lab to dry solutions... so yeh it's probably better than magnesium carbonate lol

When I run out of chalk I know where I'm goin!

JayM181
11-15-2008, 09:34 PM
You guys ever tried using "oil dry" or "kitty litter"? It actually keeps your hands dry. Give it a try.

Guido
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I made a mistake... chalkboard chalk is calcium sulphate. Ive used it in the lab to dry solutions... so yeh it's probably better than magnesium carbonate lol

When I run out of chalk I know where I'm goin!I find that the magnesium carbonate chalk breaks up a lot easier than the other kind. Some may or may not like that, so it might be something to consider when if you have a choice of what chalk to buy.

brihead301
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, I got some chalk!!! I can't wait until Friday when I deadlift again to see if the chalk helps.

Guido
11-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Well, I got some chalk!!! I can't wait until Friday when I deadlift again to see if the chalk helps.Oh, it WILL help.

ELmx479
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, I got some chalk!!! I can't wait until Friday when I deadlift again to see if the chalk helps.

Where did you end up getting it from? I need to order some too.

Notorious
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I just jacked a box of chalk from a classroom a couple of weeks ago. Works great and you can just put a stick in your pocket for convenience!

HP666
12-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I just jacked a box of chalk from a classroom a couple of weeks ago. Works great and you can just put a stick in your pocket for convenience!

Blackboard chalk?

MPB
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Blackboard chalk?

If you don't have access to gym chalk, then this works extremely well too. It's a hell of a lot better than not using anything.