PDA

View Full Version : The Callahan Project

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Relentless
04-02-2002, 08:03 PM
OK, I already track all this stuff in my little black training book, but I figure the 'peer pressure' of some other folks getting interested and supportive of what I'm doing may serve to help encourage and focus me. Or something like that.

Hell, i'll be lucky if I update this every third day. We'll see.

Today:
Food/etc-
Oatmeal & yogurt & vitamins
Green tea & ephedrine
Apple
Pre-workout shake
Post-workout bar
salad & tuna
banana
eggs, turkey, potatoes, papaya juice
Pear

Workout
Legs & Shoulders
- skipped squats (gasp) because I wasn't comfortable in the Doc Martens I was working out in and didn't want to slip.
- dropped to 720 on leg press today, again coz I was scared to slip with crap shoes on
- had some solid arnold press action today at new weight

Misc
- got good nights' sleep last night (7+ hrs)

Relentless
04-03-2002, 12:55 PM
Yay, Cardio Day

Food/etc-
Green tea & ephedrine
Handful of granola
Pre-workout shake
Post-workout bar
Beef stew and an orange

later, I will have
2 lamb chops w/ potato and veggies
some kind of fruit for evening snack

Workout:
45 minutes of elliptical trainer. Got a stitch in my side for the first time since grade school about 20 mins in. Slowed down and stretched, then gutted it out. Sweated clean through my workout tee shirt (eww). Must be doing well with the thermo aspect of cardio, I guess.

Misc:
5.5 hours' sleep last night.

Tryska
04-03-2002, 12:59 PM
you can eat potatoes?

ElPietro
04-03-2002, 12:59 PM
Good idea starting a journal man. It may not seem like it but having a journal here...and if you can browsing the forums and participating keeps this stuff on the brain a lot more and seriously keeps you mentally focused and determined. I know this was my problem most of my life, and in general is the biggest problem for most.

There is a ton of good info here and can give an added edge to your training. I think this site is better than any supplement on the market.

Good luck with the training! :thumbup:

PowerManDL
04-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
you can eat potatoes?

People have been eating potatoes for centuries. In fact, its quite common.

Tryska
04-03-2002, 01:13 PM
ok DL that was an A-B conversation, so your best bet is to C yourself out.

geez. all up in the kool-aid and don't even know the flava. :rolleyes:

PowerManDL
04-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Quit quoting Flavor-Flav. This ain't 1992.

Relentless
04-03-2002, 01:26 PM
unless I've forgotten something, potatoes are neutral for B.

Sweet potatoes (yams) are GOOD for B's, which is wicked cool. I could eat yams all day.

As Popeye would say, "I YAM what I YAM."

*groan*

Yeah, I know, cheesy pun. But those are the best kind.

Tryska
04-03-2002, 01:39 PM
really? I thought all nightshades were off limits for everyone except tomatoes for Os (joint inflammation?). I can eat sweet potatoes too, thank god. *lol*

of course, either way i'm jealous. i liek potatoes.

Relentless
04-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Yup. Just rechecked the book. THe only nightshade I can't have is tomato.

Tryska
04-03-2002, 06:33 PM
well now. i'm forced to hate you. eggplant is beneficial too.

Relentless
04-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Food/etc-
Green tea & ephedrine
2 pears
Pre-workout shake
Post-workout bar
sushi
steak and veggies
1 scoop chocolate fatfree gelato

Workout:
pecs and lats w/ biceps
solid sets on flat bench today. All pecs feeling strong.
Lats were lame. Only good sets today were t-bar
must increase machine flyes again. 195 ain't heavy enough

Misc:
5 hours' sleep last night.

Relentless
04-06-2002, 11:42 AM
From Friday:
Eggs and turkey and ezekiel bread
orange juice
ephedrine
apple
pre-workout bar
post-workout bar
beef fried rice

Workout: legs and shoulders
tried hack squats to change things up... 540 seemed light
solid arnold presses

Relentless
04-06-2002, 11:44 AM
Today:
Eggs and turkey and ezekiel bread
white grape juice ephedrine

plan to have some protein before/after cardio today and making some turkey soup for supper.

Relentless
04-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Today:
Eggs and ezekiel bread with some cheese
yogurt
grape juice
ephedrine
banana
pre-workout shake
lamb chop w/ some yams

Workout:
Worked out in a foreign gym again today (kitchener) because I was out of town attending a funeral.

Chest and back day:
no machine press so switched to flat bench. Managed to knock off a couple sets at 225 with minimal difficulty

dips are here to stay in my workout. No need to add weights yet, but moving bodyweight for 6-8 reps is killer. i can really feel the stretch in my inner pecs and it's such a nice, powerful move

I have also decided that t-bar rows are my favourite back exercise. I find I get a better feel than seated rows and it's a cleaner motion for me. Only downside is doing it on a t-bar with a chest pad kind of squishes the ol' chest and makes it a little hard to breathe. Shouldn't be a big deal unless I start doing really long sets though.

Relentless
04-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Well, I've really sucked out at updating this but i've found that it's too hard to remember to log stuff here, I don't always have time, etc, etc. besides, it's already all in my hard copy log; I feel like I'm doublecounting, which is a pain.

Anyway, here's the latest update. Some things are down a bit from peak, others are up:

Chest and back today:
Row: 8x210 7x210
Bench: 6x255 8x245
pulldown: 6x195 7x195
Inc DB Press: 7x80s, 6x80s
T-Bar 8x180, 6x180
Dips: bodyx12 bodyx7
21s: 7-7-7x50, 7-7-7x50
machine flye 8x195, 6x195

Sidebar: New evidence of working out generating noticeable results... I spent the weekend with my brother back in the little podunk town I grew up in. We go for a beer at the local 'ballet' (winkwink). My brother knows the manager, who looks at me and immediately offers me a job as a bouncer (one of his guys was going on the Injured Reserve list with an operation and he needed a replacement, pronto).

Not that I wouldn't appreciate the perks and stuff, and not that I wasn't pleased and flattered, but I'm quite sure the wife wouldn't approve. Not to mention the salary gap between "Marketing Director" and "Strip Club Bouncer". Still, it was nice to have the offer made. It's the little things like this that make me feel the best about getting bigger. Hm, come to think of it, a lot of girls have been asking me if I'm a fireman lately... chicks must have some sort of thing for firemen, and want to assume that muscular men with short hair and rugged good looks (LOL!!) are firemen.

Note to self: If I ever get divorced, immediately try to become a fireman... chicks seem to dig them.

Callahan

Relentless
04-26-2002, 01:05 PM
1-leg Leg Exensions 8/7x235, 6/6x235
Shoulder Press 7x160, 6x160
Seated Leg Curl 8x225, 6x225
Arnold Press 8x70s, 6x70s
Squats 10x225, 7x275, 4x315 (lame I know, but I had a minor back injury I'm recovering from)
DB Shrugs 7x90s, 6x90s
Around the World Lat Raises 8x20s, 6x20s
Upright Rows 7x110, 6x110 15x60

left off leg press today; I may leave it for once a week and/or alternate w/ deads once I get some help with my form... don't wanna be doin' em wrong.

Note to self: Must talk to Mr. Keppie about deads and squats; verify my form on 'em before proceeding to up the weights and bomb the crap out of my legs.

Relentless
04-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Well, there's a lotta threads with measurements, so I figure it can't hurt to record measurements for posterity here, and compare later. Everything is measured cold.

This is at 6'1" and 217lbs; bf% unknown exactly, but much lower than it has been in a while. :)

From some of the measurements I've seen on here, I guess I'm not nearly as big as some of the others; we'll see how I'm doing after a solid year of hardcoreness...

Whee!

Forearm: 13.5"
Bicep: 17"
Quad: 24"
Calf: 16.5"
Chest: 48"
Hips: 34"
Waist: 36" (still gotta trim a little fat...)

rookiebldr
04-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
Around the World Lat Raises 8x20s, 6x20s

What are these? :) I'm not well traveled so I thought I'd ask.

:cool: :cool:

heathj
04-28-2002, 09:36 PM
Your waist is bigger then your hips? What is your bodyfat at?

MonStar
04-29-2002, 04:40 AM
Is your forearm 13.5" measured correctly? If it is DAMN dude mine is around 12.75, measured correctly. :):)

MS

Relentless
04-29-2002, 07:04 AM
Heath:
Maybe I measured it wrong... I measured 'hips' at the area below waistline and above buttocks... this may be the wrong area... I'm no pro. I measured 'waist' at the thickest part of my midsection, a bit below my belly button. As I said in the post with the measurements, I'm unsure of my bf%.

MonStar:
I just put the tape measure around the thickest part of my forearm, say an inch below the inside of my elbow. Measured it cold, (i.e. no pump/workout before). If this ain't right, tell me and I can remeasure.

rookiebldr:
Around the Worlds are an idiosyncratic kind of lateral raise that I like to do as a 'polishing' exercise for shoulders. It's easy to do and KILLER on the shoulders.

Take light 2 DBs and hold them, touching, behind your back, at about butt level in a pronated (overhand) grip. Contract your shoulders and raise the weights in smooth arcs around and up until they meet above and in front of your head (say a 30-45 degree angle from the plane of your body). Lower them back down again in a controlled motion. Repeat as necessary. Do NOT use your body weight to swing the weights up/down and do NOT do it quickly. Slow and steady wins the race and you can even push the DBs together at the top and bottom of the motion for a 'peak contraction'.

I have NO idea if this makes much of a difference physiologically, but I like this exercise because it feels like it's a good stretch/flex for the entire shoulder joint and I can feel it in rear/middle/front of my delts.

Callahan

rookiebldr
04-29-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks Callahan. I'll have to give it a try. :) :)

Relentless
04-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Today: Chest and Back, with a little arms for flavour

Chest and back today:
Row: 7x210 7x210 (1 less than last time... I am truly a punk)
Bench: 7x255 5+1x255
pulldown: 7x195 6x195
Inc DB Press: 7+1x80s, 6x80s
T-Bar 8x180, 7x180
Dips: bodyx12 bodyx9
machine flye 8x195, 7x195

overall, felt good today -- slacked off a bit on the row I guess, but got a bit more on most things otherwise, which is what I want -- constant progression in either weight or reps

My chest doesn't hurt quite as much from the dips, so i think that's a good sign that my body's adapting. I will have to add more weight pretty soon, I think.

Meals were awesome today; oatmeal, yogurt, supplements, salad, tuna. It always feels better to eat virtuously.

Relentless
05-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Legs and shoulders today

1-leg Leg Exensions 10/9x235, 5/6x235
Shoulder Press 7+1x160, 6x160
Seated Leg Curl 9x225, 7x225
Arnold Press 8x70s, 7x70s
Leg Press 6x810, 5x810, (feel oddly weak today; shoulda had 7+)
DB Shrugs 7x90s, 7x90s
Around the World Lateral Raises 6x22.5s, 5x22.5s
Upright Rows 9x110, 7x110 15x60

Relentless
05-03-2002, 12:56 PM
Chest and back today:
Row: 8x210 7x210
Bench: 8x255 6x255
pulldown: 8x195 6x195
Inc DB Press: 8x80s, 6x80s
T-Bar 9x180, 7x180
Dips: bodyx12 bodyx10
machine flye 9x195, 7x195

Overall good intensity today, gained slightly on most everything. Didn't backslide today, which was key.

I'm giving up on protein bars as of now; too expensive for that I get, and there can't be that much MORE benefit in scarfing one right after the workout, no matter how good it tastes just then. Instead, I'll have a postworkout shake within 1/2 hour of finishing. Works out much cheaper, especially since I found a new brand of protein that gets me more g of protein for fewer $$ per serving. Only downside is that its clumpy and doesn't taste as good as the old brand. Oh well... the sacrifices you make.

Relentless
05-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Today begins the cutting run for the summer; 6 weeks of more cardio than lifting; I'm cutting down to Tuesdays and Thursdays for lifting, and ramping up cardio m/w/f plus weekend activities.

Also changing diet a bit; hacking out some extra carbs and focusing on clean protein and veggies as staples to be consumed.

New favourite veggies: Spinach and Collard Greens!!

Cardio was cake today; hopefully I can keep solidly with it and reap the results.

Relentless
05-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Chest and back today:
Row: 9x210 7x210
Bench: 9x255 6x255
pulldown: 9x195 6x195
Inc DB Press: 8x80s, 6x80s
T-Bar 9x180, 7x180
Dips: bodyx11 bodyx9 (died on this one - don't know why!!)
machine flye 5x210, 7x195

Started Creatine again today and I dunno if it was that or just the gym being warm today but I was sweating like a HOG.

Did ok, intensity-wise though dips was a little disappointing. My bis felt really REALLY flushed and pumped after the 21s.

Relentless
05-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Good cardio today; also figured out that my new protein powder isn't as lame as I thought; it just mixes a lot better in a shaker than by stirring. Duh.

Relentless
05-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Legs and shoulders today. Skipping part of legs because I'm doin' squats and deads on Saturday

1-leg Leg Exensions 7/6x255, 8/7x235
Shoulder Press 7+1x160, 6x160
Seated Leg Curl 6x240, 7x225
Arnold Press 8x70s, 7x70s
DB Shrugs 9x90s, 7x90s
Around the World Lateral Raises 6x22.5s, 6x22.5s
Upright Rows 9x110, 7x110 15x60

Overall, felt good, felt strong. It's probably at least partly psychological, but I can feel the creatine starting to kick in.

I will follow the dosing schedule suggested in the article by Justin Frank in the aricle on the wbb site... I guess I'll stay on for May/June and cycle off in July.

Relentless
05-10-2002, 01:48 PM
cardio today.

it's official; I have officially made cardio my bitch.

Since January, I've traditionally struggled from about 15 minutes into the 45-minute session, as my body rebelled against the training and tried to shut down and protest and convince me to stop

I read somewhere that there's a point at which the exercise shifts from aerobic to anaerobic or somesuch; maybe this is it

The point is, this is the first week I've done more cardio than lifting and already I feel a LOT stronger in the cardio sessions... I banged out 45 mins of intense elliptical action and it was like I was standing still (except for the accelerated heartrate...). I was in no pain and felt exhilerated rather than exhausted at the end.

looking forward to tomorrow; squats and deads followed by football. probably not the best for muscle growth, but f**k it. I gotta play football or I'll die. Honest.

rookiebldr
05-10-2002, 01:55 PM
Cardio, a necessary (I guess) evil to keep the heart and lungs strong so that we can lift. I hate this muscle eating exercise. Good job on the cardio. :thumbup:

Relentless
05-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Well, some of the ectomorphic punks that have natural single-digit BF% can get away with no/minimal cardio.

But those of us with an endo-mesomorphic build have to work a little harder. Of course we can also usually get bigger and stay bigger than the whipcord-thin ectos, so it ain't ALL bad.

Thanx for the encouragement.
Cal

Relentless
05-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Saturday: Legs and some back:

Squats: 12x135, 8x225, 3x315, 6x275
Hack Squats: 8x225, 6x315, 20x185
Leg Extensions: 15x360, 6x440, 25x160 (then collapsed with jello legs)

Deadlifts: 12x135, 7x225, 3x315, 5x275, 7x185

Overall, Dan said my form on squats was almost letter-perfect, and my deads were a little off, but we corrected that. I now have nice little deadlift-scrapes on both shins but it was well worth it.

then

Played football from 1pm-330pm. Declined invitation to play soccer afterwards as well...overall had a good game, we had a decent turnout with 8 or 9 guys on a side.

My Team: Adam, Rookie, Eric V (the CFL kicker), Ghassan, Ruby, Arpad, 1 or two other guys I'm sure I'm forgetting, and me.

Other Team: Todd, Dan, Paul F., Geoff K, Greg M, the short rugby guy, Wilson and a couple other guys. They had a 1-man advantage for much of the game, which meant that their QB was 'dead' and that they couldn't blitz OUR QB... however the extra man made us work that much harder.

We got up 4TDs to 1 early on but then oddly faltered when they switched from man to zone coverage and it took us about 5-6 series to adjust, which was a pain. Once we adjusted, it was all good.

On man coverage, I covered Geoff, who is only 5'7" or so and maybe 140lbs, so any time I went to bump-and-run I pretty much put him on his arse with the bump. He didn't have cleats though, so he couldn't use his agility to cut around me and he really wasn't a football player so he didn't have any major 'moves'. I think he caught 2 or 3 passes all game but I shut him down for the rest of it.

Adam on our team was pretty much a slightly shorter, whiter, non-pro Terrell Owens, often going up for a ball in a crowd and coming down with it most of the time. Ghassan was playing some very good aggressive D and was looking like Champ Bailey or something. Greg had a great game his first game out, despite being covered by Adam who is one of the better players. I don't think he got in the end zone, but he was a possession receiver for them. Rookie and Eric also had some really great plays on our side, including an INT for TD and a kick returned for TD.

I think I had maybe 4 or 5 receptions for tight-end kind of yards in the game, but I did score the winning TD for our team on a quick outside slant. My best plays were on special teams... my extra strength was huge for making blocks when we received the ball on kickoffs and I totally smoked the ball carrier a couple of times when WE kicked off. Later on, they started double-teaming me on kickoffs, which kind of hampered my efforts.

I can't stress enough what a spectacularly bad idea this was, lifting and then playing ball. Not so much for the playing, but I got home that evening and felt wrung out.

Sunday morning was worse; thank GOD for A535 x-tra strength!!!

Relentless
05-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Sing with me now,

"Cardio is my biiiiitch!
Cardio is my biiiiitch!"

Despite aching calves and quads from the silliness on the weekend, cranked out another stellar cardio workout today. Actually, I think running 4k and having a sauna on Sunday also helped loosen things up too.

Relentless
05-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Chest and back today:

Row: 9x210 7x210
Bench: 8x255 6x255 (I am a slacker!!)
pulldown: 9x195 7+1x195
Inc DB Press: 8x80s, 7x80s
T-Bar 9x180, 8x180 (put this up next time)
Dips: bodyx11 bodyx7 (died on this one AGAIN. weird.)
Deadlifts: 10x225, 3x315, 7x275 (I think I am in love with this exercise)
machine flye 9x195, 5x210, 20x90

pulled a muscle doing deads or flye, not sure which, but it's like the flexor carpi digitalis or something like that. A grip muscle on the middle inner forearm. stretched it out, feels better now, but I may have to suck it up and start using lifting straps so I'm not limited by grip in heavier sets...

overall i felt less intense today, I'll chalk it up to the rough weekend and the impending anniversary dinner tonight... underscoring how hardcore my thinking is, the dinner for my wedding anniversary tonight will be high protein low carb and dessert will be 1 scoop of fatfree sherbet. No cheating for this guy.

ericg
05-14-2002, 12:50 PM
I must say I love your football posts. Gets me in the mood to lace the cleats and make that trip up there to play a game with you guys!!

Relentless
05-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Well, if ya ever ARE in Toronto on a Saturday, PM me beforehand and I can prolly hook you up with a place to crash and there's always room for more on the field with us!!

Cheers, mate!
Callahan

rookiebldr
05-14-2002, 03:03 PM
... the impending anniversary dinner tonight... underscoring how hardcore my thinking is, the dinner for my wedding anniversary tonight will be high protein low carb and dessert will be 1 scoop of fatfree sherbet. No cheating for this guy. [/B]

Oh boy, lots of meat, always a good thing!!! Great deads, me thinks I will need to up my weights to get the shin scrapes.

Relentless
05-14-2002, 08:12 PM
they're called Dead Treads(tm). Note the (tm)

You can use the phrase, but ya owe me a nickel every time ya do. :D

Relentless
05-15-2002, 12:48 PM
uhhhhrrgh!!

ground out cardio today despite sharp pains in my neck due to sleeping badly and getting a kink

good thing I'm married to a chiropractor -- gonna get a tune-up when I get home. :)

rookiebldr
05-16-2002, 12:28 AM
they're called Dead Treads(tm). Note the (tm)

You can use the phrase, but ya owe me a nickel every time ya do. :D

I trust that's Canadian. :D

Relentless
05-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Legs and Shoulders day.

Auuuugh! What a crap workout. My neck is still bothering me from the other day and I felt like crap the whole time.

Soldiered on, but got crap lifts on Leg Press, which really bugs me. Compensated a bit by doing a long light set and burned out my quads pretty good.

Progressed OK on some of the other lifts though. No squats today, and removed trap work to avoid re-FUBARing my neck.

1-leg Leg Exensions 9/9x255, 6/5x255
Shoulder Press 5+1x170, 7x150
Seated Leg Curl 7x240, 6x240
Arnold Press 5x75s, 7x70s
Leg Press 15x450, 8x720, 4x810, 30x270
Around the World Lateral Raises 7+1x22.5s, 6x22.5s

I will add in SLDLs and Squats once my neck is better, which should improve the leg workout overall.

Everything else basically OK.

Relentless
05-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Cardio.

Good session, a bit frustrated due to work stuff, but otherwise OK.

On the up side, tomorrow is, once again, FOOTBALL!!!!!

Gonna lay some smack down, especially on kickoffs. If they double-team me this week, I'll run OVER them. Grrrrrr!!!!

Relentless
05-21-2002, 07:59 AM
urrrgh

weekend was crap; had to eat out most meals due to social commitments and it's frustrating to find food that is acceptable to me. I did get some nice steaks Friday, but was reduced to picking meat and veggies out of steak tortillas at Taco Bell on Sat. and some kind of gross turkey thing on Sunday. *sigh*

I did do cardio (running) on the weekend, but just on Sat.

Relentless
05-21-2002, 01:28 PM
I am totally ashamed to admit that I skipped lifting today.

Why?

I forgot my shoes. Also, my FUBARed neck is still giving me grief.

Diet was OK today though; had fiddlehead soup for lunch (interesting!).

Relentless
05-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Chest and back today:

pulldown: 9x195 7x195
* felt like a big wuss doing these; it's frustrating... most other back stuff is progressing, but pulldowns are lagging

* at least I didn't lose any from last week. I wonder if this once-a-week routine is costing me gains, perhaps my body IS better suited to 2x a week per part.

T-Bar 10x180, 7x180
* Yup. I'm ready for 190. Although I didn't do seated rows this week, so this might not be a true gain. Hm. Although with deads in the workout, maybe seated rows + t-bar is too much

Inc DB Press: 5x85s, 7x80s
* that's right baby, new weight on Inc DB. Felt pretty strong but when I tried a 6th rep i damn near dropped both DBs.

Deadlifts: 12x225, 7x225, 7x275
*I think I will have to wuss out and get lifting straps. I'm certain I can lift more/harder, but my grip just aint there. Maybe if I did this earlier in the workout I'd have more grip...

Dips: bodyx11 bodyx7
* I have at least stopped backsliding here. Doing these after deads was a little harder

21s: 7-7-7 x50 7-7-6 x50
* just about died on last set... I wonder if it's even worth doing separate bis on this workout. Maybe I'll toss in a separate arms workout on the weekends or something

machine flye 6x210, 6x210
* 210 is pretty heavy, but I can still unrack it dead cold and all by myself.

Overall, not bad considering I didn't lift for almost a week and was afraid I'd lose intensity. Definitely gonna invest in straps to see how much of a difference that'll make in the deads, though I don't plan to use a belt for a while yet... I'm being strict and careful with form both on deads and squats so I think I'll be OK without a belt.

ElPietro
05-22-2002, 12:19 PM
On Pulldowns just up the weight a ton and try that for a couple weeks. When you go back to 9 reps you will find your strength much higher. I used to do 170 for 3 sets of 8...then one day decided to focus on strength and went up to 240x3 or 4...I don't do that exercise now but I bet after a couple weeks 170 woulda felt like sissy weight.

I think it's harder to progress in that rep range...so anything you wanna up the weight on, try lifting in the 3-4 rep range on your first set...then you can drop back to 195 for more reps if you want. I bet you'll see quicker gains...just some thoughts anyway...I also have found that it makes workouts more interesting...coming in and doing 2 or 3 sets of 8-10 each week with the weight not changing much becomes monotonous. Going in and having at least one strength set wakes some animal urge in you...

Relentless
05-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I have been letting the rep #s climb a little high on some things... I really should push more/heavier and more often. Well, I did it with the Inc DB Press this week at least. The thing with the pulldowns is I am a stickler for form and when i lift extra-heavy on them, I know I'm gonna have a tendency to cheat a bit.

I do 'em behind the neck, BTW, for the most part, with the occasional changeup set in front for flava. Every so often one of the 'member ambassadors' will attempt to educate me about the dangers of doing it that way, at which point I try very hard not to smirk and thank them anyway for their advice, but I've been doing it like that for 10+ years, lots of pros do it that way and yeah I know it COULD be a risk to my shoulders/neck, but I know that.

In retrospect, part of it is probably grip. I know my forearms are sore after back day, and I know my back is pretty strong (better/increasing lifts on other back stuff).

I think i will assemble a wrist roller and some pinch weights and do grip/forearm training a couple evenings a week. That oughta help too.

Relentless
05-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Cardio remains my bitch.

Hoo-ahh!

Diet good today, etc.

Sleep last night sucked though. Kept waking up with horrible, gasping, too-real nightmares. I gotta stop watching Buffy.

Relentless
05-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Leg and Shoulders again today.

1-leg Leg Exensions 4/4x275, 8/9x255
* Wow, it was really tough jumping up 20lbs on this... I was damn near quivering just to get 4. Taking ElP's advice tho, and bumping stuff to shock muscles.

Shoulder Press 6x170, 6x160
* Got 6 clean ones in the first set which is better than the 5+1 I got last week. Fetl pretty strong; i think my shoulders may be ready to increase

Seated Leg Curl 7x240, 6x240
* same as last week... eh. OK. Gonna have to start doing these 1-legged soon

Arnold Press 5+1x75s, 6+1x70s
*Couldnt' make a sixth with the 75s, though I tried. Some hot chick started doing lateral raises right in front of me and the sight of her spandex-clad glutes clenching on every rep totally distracted me. So i kinda wussed out a bit on the 70s set. Oh well, it was worth it. damn, you coulda served tea on that a$$. :evillaugh:

Leg Press 15x450, 6x810, 4x810, 6x720
* I am convinced I can do more here, I keep pussying out for some reason. Maybe I'm just afraid I'll drop the weight. I may recruit a spotter for next week.

Around the World Lateral Raises 8x22.5s, 6x22.5s
* slightly better than last week. I will do a first set with 25s next week, i think.

BB Shrugs 15x135, 8x225, 5x315
* I really must figure out a way to do this without raking the bar across my sac. Yowch.

Squats 12x225, 6x275, 8x225
* felt a tendon go *spang* in my ankle on the heavy set, so I didn't push it. Going to keep working on form for a while and get really comfy with squats before pushing too heavy. Hard going to do this at the end of the workout, too....

Static Hangs, pronated grip from overhead bar: 45 secs, 35 secs
* Wow this is hard. Never really tried it before.

rookiebldr
05-24-2002, 09:53 PM
BB Shrugs 15x135, 8x225, 5x315
* I really must figure out a way to do this without raking the bar across my sac. Yowch.

When you find a way, let me know. I just grin and bare it. I tried this one gym and they had a HS ISO Shrug machine. It was great. I also used a HS ISO Flat Bench to do shrugs.

Squats 12x225, 6x275, 8x225
* felt a tendon go *spang* in my ankle on the heavy set, so I didn't push it. Going to keep working on form for a while and get really comfy with squats before pushing too heavy. Hard going to do this at the end of the workout, too....

Why at the end of your routine? I would be too wasted to do this then.

Relentless
05-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

When you find a way, let me know. I just grin and bare it. I tried this one gym and they had a HS ISO Shrug machine. It was great. I also used a HS ISO Flat Bench to do shrugs.

I will assume you mean't BEAR it. :) I ain't BAREing anything at the gym.

I tried some shrugs with smith machine this weekend, I think I'll switch to that...

Why at the end of your routine? I would be too wasted to do this then.

1) I work without a spotter/partner so I want to avoid real heavy squats, and prefatigue the muscles.
2) I like to be fully warmed up
3) I am a tough SOB can can do them whenever I want. :P

Relentless
05-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Solid cardio today, no ill effects from a weekend of chemicals and debauchery.

Relentless
05-28-2002, 12:31 PM
Chest and Back....

pulldown: 6x210 7x195
* I can't believe I got 6@210... was tired after that though.

Bench: 8x255 6+1x255
* solid lifting... felt good and strong throughout

T-Bar 6x200, 5x200
* felt very strong, very good lifting. Good breathing.

Inc DB Press: 5x85s, 8x80s
* left arm twitched and gave out after 1 rep on the 85s. Reset position, sucked air for a couple of breaths and hammered out the set. Earned a compliment from a fellow lifter who saw this and was impressed at recovery and pushing on despite almost dropping it.

Deadlifts: 12x225, 8x275, 5x275
*Grip is still the issue here. Felt strong across most reps, but got a minor low back twinge in last set.

Dips: bodyx12 bodyx7
* going to have to add weight here soon

21s: 7-7-7 x60 7-7-5 x60
* upped the weight and still felt strong. I don't think I've been pushing hard enough on these...

machine flye 6+1x210, 6x210
* good solid sets to end the workout

Relentless
05-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Complete day of rest today.

Ahhhhh....

Relentless
05-30-2002, 12:47 PM

1-leg Leg Exensions 7/6x275, 6/5x275
* DAMN. Last week I was hurtin' on this. This week I'm cranking out reps like a champ. I wonder what I can do after the whole stack becomes trivial for 1 leg? (stack goes to 355).

Shoulder Press 7+1x170, 4+1x170
* Put both sets at 170 this week; feeling strong!!

Seated Leg Curl 8x240, 7x240
* same as last week... eh. OK. Gonna have to start doing these 1-legged soon . Increased reps, which is nice.

Arnold Press 5+1x75s, 4+1x75s
*left arm is giving out before right on this; I also had a bit of stability problems; I attribute this to not having my preferrred upright bench seat... had to use a crappy one that I didn't like.

Squats 12x225, 8x275, 4x315
* tendon in my ankle still twinging but not as bad. Had to use a crappy bar, which i hated. Felt strong though; had bounce at the top of my motion and everything. With no spotter, I will continue to progress cautiously here though.

BB Shrugs 8x315, 6+1x315, 11x225
* turns out this is also good for grip. Forearms are a lil' sore.

Around the World Lateral Raises 6x25s, 4+1x25s
* Damn. 25s are heavy for this. :)

ran out of time because the gym was busy; didn't get a chance to do stat hangs... will find time for some grip work this weekend. Maybe a separate arms/calves workout as well.

Relentless
05-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Kicked cardio ass again today.

Relentless
06-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Played football today. We had a pathetic turnout, only 5 guys. So we narrowed the field and played 2 on 2 with an all-time QB. It was stinkin' hot, maybe 27 degrees C but there was a nice wind. GOt wayy too much sun though. I'm a bit pink...

My BB buddy Dan and I faced Ruby and Paul F, two younger, faster but smaller opponents.

We fought our way to a 9-7 victory over them using a combination of stellar blocking and defensive dominance.

They were able to burn us deep on occasion, but given that we probably had a combined 120lbs on our opponents, we were able to run almost any blocking based screen pass and/or running play that we wanted. :strong: We actually stopped doing it too much because it seemed unfair.

Overall I was happy with my play in the game. My cardio and other workouts have given me a lot more wind for running and greatly improved acceleration for running.

I had pretty sticky hands for most of the match, i only dropped one or two... though one was on a brilliant fake/post route that had my defender completely toasted. The ball came in, I made good contact with both hands, brought it to my chest and... DROPPED IT!!! I drew stares from the runners on the track around the field with my prolific and voluminous cursing. I didn't get many TDs because I was mostly the designated blocker for Dan, who is a little faster than me... made a couple nice catcher for score though, including one that I damn near reached at my ankles on a fast cross pattern.

On defense, had no INTs but knocked several balls down and/or forced incompletes with contact on the receiver after he had the ball. I gave up less than half the TDs against our side, which was good.

I found when tossing the ball around that I have a lot more 'arm' now that I'm stronger. even tho my release is **** and my accuracy is still suspect, I can hurl the pigskin by main force for some impressive yardages.

Booya, good game and good workout....

Callahan

Relentless
06-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Cardio ass was kicked yet again.

rookiebldr
06-03-2002, 09:28 PM
They were able to burn us deep on occasion, but given that we probably had a combined 120lbs on our opponents, we were able to run almost any blocking based screen pass and/or running play that we wanted. :strong: We actually stopped doing it too much because it seemed unfair.

Maybe time to mix it up a little. :) :) BTW your right, the weekend weather was finally great - lots of heat and sun. I'm pink too.

Relentless
06-04-2002, 09:52 AM

Maybe time to mix it up a little. :) :) BTW your right, the weekend weather was finally great - lots of heat and sun. I'm pink too.

Yeah, as I said we stopped doing it coz it just felt unfair.

Hopefully, we'll get a big game going again soon and Dan and I can face each other on opposing offensive/defensive lines.

Relentless
06-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Chest and Back....

pulldown: 6x210 4x210
* not bad sets. Grip is starting to become an issue here, too

* A bit less intense than last time. Not bad lifts tho.

T-Bar 6x205, 6x205
* t'was a pain to load 2x10lb plates on with the 45s, so I bumped it to 205 from 200. Hard going but I made it.

Inc DB Press: 6x85s, 5x85s
* Got a 6th rep on the 85s today. Felt damn good. Just SQUEEZED the reps out, working hard.

Deadlifts: 11x225, 4x295, 10x225
*Grip is still the issue here.

Dips: bodyx12 body+10x6
* clutching a DB between my feet will only work for so long. Must get belt to hang weight from.

Dropped the 21s. And the Flyes, actually. I have decided to split out arms for a bit of work on Saturdays. This also allows me to speed up the workouts on weekdays, which is good.

The Flyes were fun, but probably unneeded after dips, DB press and bench press.

ElPietro
06-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Deadlifts: 11x225, 4x295, 10x225
*Grip is still the issue here.

How are you gripping the bar? If you aren't using an alternating grip then you should try it. Can easily add 100-150lbs to your ability to grip. So one hand over the other under, and just rotate them each set.

Relentless
06-04-2002, 01:20 PM
I use a pronated (overhand) grip, just outside of my legs, which are just about shoulder width or a little more apart.

I tried alternating grip with sumos but found I didn't like the motion. Maybe it was just the nature of sumos tho. I think I'll try alternating grip for the next time I do these 'regular' deads. Thanks for the suggestion, ElP.

ElPietro
06-04-2002, 01:23 PM
It will feel weird or uncomfortable the first couple sets...just stick with it and it will balance out. I tried it once then stopped until I realized it's the only way to help things along without using straps. After trying it for a few sets it starts to feel natural...

Relentless
06-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Cardio = solid.
Diet = solid.
Feeling solid, as well. :)

Relentless
06-06-2002, 12:53 PM

1-leg Leg Exensions 7/6x275, 5/4x275
* Kicked ASS

Shoulder Press 6x170, 5x170
* Good lifts.

Seated Leg Curl 6x255, 5x255
* had to suck air between reps a bit to get the last 1 or two. 255 is the stack here; gonna be doing these 1-legged soon

*75s is new working weight; gonna stick with it till I can get 7-8 reps reliably. A lot more stable; left shoulder is lagging a bit tho.

Leg Press 15x450, 6x810, 5x810
* Felt strong but didn't want to push too hard coz I was getting sparklies in front of my eyes. I will be back up to 8 reps before long, I'm sure. Feels pretty good.

Around the World Lateral Raises 5x25s, 4x25s
* amazing what a difference going from 22.5 to 25. HARD. Backslid a bit from last week.

BB Shrugs 6x315, 7x315, 12x225
* using smith machine really rocks for this.

Static Hangs, pronated grip from overhead bar: 50 secs, 40 secs
* Improved slightly. This created major callus formations to rise up on my hands and totally pumped my forearms. COOL!

Relentless
06-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Chest and Back....

pulldown: 7+1x210 5+1x210
* Turns out all I needed to do to progress past 195 was to lift more than 195. Hm. ;)

Bench: 8x255 4+1x262.5
* solid lifting... felt good and strong throughout; tried and got new max.

T-Bar 7+1x205, 5+1x205
* tried 'yates' style supinated grip. Didn't like it at all. Hm.

Inc DB Press: 6x85s, 5x85s
* Was hoping for 7 today but it was not meant to be; felt strong and in control of the weight though, which was good

Deadlifts: 12x225, 8x275, 5x275, 10x225
* tried alternating grip. It clearly rocks. I was not lifting a whole bunch more, but I felt much more comfortable and in control of my grip.

Dips: body+25x7, body+25x5+1
* Clenching a 25lb DB between my feet also gave my lower body a bit of a workout. ;) I expect this lift to progress quickly now that I'm adding weight to it. I was probably doign bodyweight-only for too long, but I didn't want to overstress my shoulders and this exercise also puts a fair bit of strain on tricep tendons/etc.

Relentless
06-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Realized I neglected to post the football report, what with WBB being down and all

Saturday Football

Todd, Daniel, Ghassan, Greg M. and myself
vs
Glen, Rugby Phil, Ruby, and two Kiwi rugby players whos names I missed

It was a glorious afternoon in Toronto, just enough sun to keep us sweating, with a bit of a breeze, too.

It was a pretty evenly-matched, they were perhaps a little faster overall, but we had Todd (the best QB among us) and a little more experience playing football (as opposed to rugby) among us.

Ghassan is leaving to move back to Lebanon tomorrow, so we decided to get him involved as much as possible. Unfortunately, due to various forms of debauchery, Ghassan was unfocused for the game. He was also sporting a very plazzy looking beard, which we all thought was a contributing factor to his blooper-reel incompletions.

Ghassan would have had five or six TDs had he been able to hold onto the ball... however due to his shagged-out state, he dropped most of what came near him. One incompletion actually bounced off of his chest and several meters into the air! Ghassan then stumbled and nearly fell over a gym bag we were using to mark one corner of the end zone. Too funny!!

I had it relatively easy for myself; I was covering Rugby Phil on defense, and while he is rumoured to be a formidable rugby player, Phil is shorter, slower and older than I am and I've also played a little more football than he, so I was able to keep him quite well contained. He got a reception or two, and a single TD when I was stripped away from coverage on a crossing play, but other than that I had some pretty solid defensive stats. I kept loitering -just- off of him, hoping to reach in over his head and nab an INT or two, but the opposing QB was having none of it.

On offense, I was being covered first by one of the kiwis I didn't know and then by Ruby. I was able to get deep a couple times, but because of the focus on Ghassan, I didn't get many looks from our QB. I caught a couple, dropped a couple. Generally, not too impressive.

Greg M. had a real workout; he was assigned to cover Glen and then Ruby on defense. Glen is a gifted athlete with exceptional speed and amazing COD (Change of Direction) ability (not to mention very very soft hands when it comes to receiving); Greg is still getting back into football shape and he had some problems containing Glen. When Glen moved to QB for the opposition, Greg was left to cover Ruby, who tends to run go-routes and posts EVERY PLAY because he loves to run.... Greg was pretty worn out by game's end.

Unfortunately we had to cut the game short a bit when Daniel sustained an injury. While pursuing the ball carrier, one of the shorter kiwis on the other team stumbled in front of him and Daniel's chin impacted on Kiwi noggin. The skin split open and we called the game off (score; 7-6, their favour, but we had MOMENTUM, dammit!) to see Daniel to the hospital. He has 4 stitches now and we have all reassured him that 'chicks dig scars'.

Overall, i was happy with my play - nothing spectacular this week, but I am getting my head into the game more; rather than stopping and watching plays develop as they pass me by, I am pursuing the ball more aggressively and consistently and I'm reading plays better. I made a couple of really good blocks that helped others get more yardage for their own receptions, which was good. I also blitzed the QB on a stunt one play, and came away with a strip from his shirt -- he dodged away and my grasping hands caught only shirt. If he'd been wearing a proper jersey I'd have had him, but the flimsy t-shirt just ripped. "I'll take you a piece at a time if I must.", I quipped.

After the game, most of us repaired to Todd's house and watched the All Blacks completely kick the ass of some Italian rugby club on the satellite.

Relentless
06-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Skipped cardio today.

I just felt like it was time to have a little rest. :)

back in the gym tomorrow though.... :whip:

Relentless
06-13-2002, 11:28 AM

1-leg Leg Exensions 8/7x275, 5/4x275
* doing one more rep for each leg on the first said f*in near killed me. I will stay at this weight for a while until i get reps a bit more cleanly, I noticed that I wasn't doign quite a 100% ROM on a couple of 'em.

Shoulder Press 3+1x180, 5x170
* Good lifts. Tried a couple reps at the next level (180)

Seated Leg Curl 7x255, 6x255
* solid lifting

*got the same as last time. Felt much more solid up there tho.

Squats 12x225, 8x275, 5x315
* I could have gotten a couple more at 315 but I didn't trust the guy I asked to spot me, so I eased off a bit. Feeling VERY strong and stable in squats now.

BB Shrugs 8x315, 7x315
* oy vey this is hard and a good overall exercise... felt it in arms/shoulders as well as traps

Around the World Lateral Raises 5x25s, 3x25s
* I may have to drop back down to 22.5; this is just sad

Static Hangs, pronated grip from overhead bar: 55 secs, 45 secs
* Improved slightly again. I wonder how long is 'good'... ? Once I can hang more than 1 minute, I'll start adding weight, I think.

MonStar
06-13-2002, 12:13 PM
Callahan-
Awesome journal man, just read it. Keep up the good work. Nice strength bro! :):)

MS

Relentless
06-13-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks man.

With any luck, I will be able to limit myself to a single journal. ;)

(just hackin' on ya. :) )

ElPietro
06-13-2002, 01:10 PM
What are you using for shoulder press? Machine? BB? DB? Standing? Seated? Just curious.

Relentless
06-13-2002, 01:18 PM
1 year of progress.

Checked some stats compared to what I was lifting a year ago.
Here's the scoop on some of the exercises I've been tracking since then:

Shoulder Press
June 2001 - 120 lbs
June 2002 - 180 lbs

Leg Press
June 2001 - 450 lbs
June 2002 - 810 lbs

Arnold Press
June 2001 - 45 lbs
June 2002 - 75 lbs

Machine Rows
June 2001 - 150 lbs
June 2002 - 210 lbs

Leg Extensions
June 2001 - 355 lbs
June 2002 - 550 lbs (equivalent, doing 275 1-legged)

Leg Curls
June 2001 - 180 lbs
June 2002 - 255 lbs

Bench
June 2001 - 180 lbs
June 2002 - 262.5 lbs

Squats
June 2001 - 225 lbs (using smith machine - yuk!)
June 2002 - 315 lbs freeweight, solid reps

Machine Pectoral Flyes
June 2001 - 120 lbs
June 2002 - 210 lbs

Deadlifts
June 2001 - 0 lbs
June 2002 - 315 lbs

Overall, I'm guardedly pleased with the progress thus far. I am keen to see how I'm doing at this time in 2003. I definitely won't be able to sustain this rate of progress on every exercise, but I should be able to add to everything on the list by a year from now. We'll see....

Relentless
06-13-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
What are you using for shoulder press? Machine? BB? DB? Standing? Seated? Just curious.

Seated Machine Press...

I don't particularly like it, and the stack only goes to 200, so I'll outgrow it in a coupla months, but it's conveniently located next to the first couple of leg machines I use.

I figure that sometime before Xmas I will switch to something else; maybe standing overhead BB press or something.

I do like the seated posture and support of a backrest though... I feel it helps isolate the shoulders and prevent sway/cheating.

Relentless
06-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Weekend update. No football this weekend, but did biceps/triceps/calves on Saturday and went for a killer rollerblading session on Sunday.

Relentless
06-17-2002, 09:14 AM
OK, after a 1-month cutting cycle to get ready for the summer, I find myself somewhat leaner and really antsy to start lifting hard again. I'm still around 215, but I think I actually gained a little LBM while I was 'cutting'... I really didn't take the cutting too seriously I guess; diet was reduced and cardio was up but I didn't really track it too closely; I bet I could have lost a lot more BF (possibly at the cost of some LBM) but at this point I don't care. I can walk around without a shirt on and feel proud, which is good enough for me. I still have some softness around my middle, but I'm starting to see new definition all over and I'm feeling pretty hard.

Anyway, so the new workout....

The goal of this workout is to hit everything HARD, once a week. Maximum effort, maximum focus, lots of recovery time also gets me in and out of the gym a little faster. :)

Day One (chest/triceps)
Bench
Incline DB Bench
Weighted Dips
Cable 1-arm Pushdown (supinated grip)
Close Grip Bench Press

Day Two (Legs)
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Squats
Leg Press
Calf Press on Leg Press Sled
Plate Loaded Kneeling Leg Curls

Day Three (Shoulders/Traps)
Seated Barbell Press
Seated Arnold DB Press
Around the World Lateral Raises
Barbell Smith Machine Shrugs
Upright Row

Day Four (Back/Biceps/Grip)
Wide Grip Chins (first assisted, then weighted, probably)
T-Bar Rows
Deadlifts
DB 21s Standing Curls
DB 1-arm Preacher Curls
Static Hangs (2 hangs, 60 secs target, adding weight as needed)

My sequence will be:
Day1, Day2, Rest/Cardio, Day3, Day4, Rest/Cardio, Rest/Cardio

We'll see if this is enough recovery time for me and adjust as needed... I have broken up most of the stuff that I think uses secondary muscles (i.e. triceps get worked on shoulder day...)

I may add in some extra sets here and there as I feel the instinct to do so, but by and large I'm not doing volume - the goal here is to shoot for 2 working sets of around 6 reps for each exercise.

What I hope to accomplish is twofold:
1) I think I am ready to start isolating smaller muscle groups for a little individual attention (biceps/triceps/calves) rather than relying on compound movements.
2) I want to increase the focus and intensity of each workout, which means I need to drop the # of body parts being worked and zero in each day.

We'll see how it goes.

ElPietro
06-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Are these exercises listed in the order you will be doing them for each day? If so I might suggest that you bump up squats and deadlifts to be the first movements on your legs and back days. Just that doing the compounds first is generally a better idea, unless you have a specific reason to pre-exhaust the primary musclegroups on the compounds.

Relentless
06-17-2002, 12:11 PM
THE NEW ERA - BEGINS HERE

OK, started the new regime/workout with Chest/Tris day... funny, routines always seem to start with chest, i wonder why?

Bench: 5+1x262.5, 4+1x255
* Backslid a bit here; I am not sure why

Incline DB Press: 5+1x85s, 4+1x85s
* Also backslid slightly here; I'm chalking it up to being a little fatigued from not doing a set of something else in between and also just because I'm a little tired from the weekend

Dips: BW+25x7, BW+25x6, BWx6
* threw in an extra set here with just bodyweight to totally fatigue the pecs

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 6/6x50, 3/3x70 11/11x40
*good burn on the tris; damn they looked good flexing in the mirror on the downstroke of these pushdowns!!

Narrow Grip Bench: 12x135, 7x185, 3x205
* still getting comfortable with position and grip on these...

Pec Flyes: 7x210, 4x210, 12x120
*decided to tack these on to finish off the pecs. Glad I did... good pump and I couldn't even get 5 for the second heavy set, which was cool. I really felt like I bombed my pecs and tris today.

Relentless
06-17-2002, 12:14 PM
Are these exercises listed in the order you will be doing them for each day? If so I might suggest that you bump up squats and deadlifts to be the first movements on your legs and back days. Just that doing the compounds first is generally a better idea, unless you have a specific reason to pre-exhaust the primary musclegroups on the compounds.

Yeah, I prefer to not do the heavy squats and deads first for two reasons:

1) I really like to warm up well before these slightly-riskier exercises
2) Pre-exhausting means I can get the same benefit from a slightly lighter weight, I think... again, mitigating risk is key here

I will probably toss in a set of hyperextensions before the deads as well, just to get everything all warmed up...

I also may swap squats and leg press on some weeks, when I want to try and lift more in the leg press...

ElPietro
06-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Ok...I am just going to respond to your two reasons there.

1) By warming up doing isolation exercises first you are going into your squats with your main mover warm but all the other muscle groups somewhat cold because they haven't been worked yet. So I think if you are trying to avoid injury in these "riskier" movements it would be better just to warm up on squats with 2 or 3 lower sets first.

2) By pre-exhausting you are placing more strain potentially on all the smaller muscle groups and connective tissue which would I believe be more prone to injury then a more robust muscle such as the quadricep.

Just my thoughts on that...feel free to do what you feel more comfortable with. But I think if your main motivator is safety then you may be going about it in the wrong way.

Relentless
06-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Ok...I am just going to respond to your two reasons there.

1) By warming up doing isolation exercises first you are going into your squats with your main mover warm but all the other muscle groups somewhat cold because they haven't been worked yet. So I think if you are trying to avoid injury in these "riskier" movements it would be better just to warm up on squats with 2 or 3 lower sets first.

2) By pre-exhausting you are placing more strain potentially on all the smaller muscle groups and connective tissue which would I believe be more prone to injury then a more robust muscle such as the quadricep.

You make good points ElP; when I further analyzed why I was doing things in a particular order, I also realized that part of it is that certain machines/weights/apparatus are on one floor at my gym, while others are on another floor; I've been structuring my workout partly based on that.

As far as your responses, I agree with 1) that warming up the prime mover is all I'm doing BUT I think that's a good thing, based on the reports I've read concerning strength for lifts with warm/preworked muscles... the quad is the prime mover and (I think) at the greatest risk should I not have it warmed up right because it's bearing the lion's share of the work. I also DO do at least one warmup set of squats with a weight that I can comfortably/easily get 12-15 reps. Sometimes I'll do 2 if I feel the need.

As far as 2) goes, I am potentially placing more strain on my secondary muscle groups by prefatiguing the main mover BUT my rationale there is that I will be moving less weight in absolute terms and thereby mitigating risk (from a mental standpoint, less weight is safer to me -- this may not bear up in a physiological sense, but I feel safer lifting a little less on these).

If you have any studies or reports you've read that underscore the danger of prefatiguing, I'd love to see 'em.

Relentless
06-18-2002, 12:11 PM
LEG DAY

1-legged Leg XTension: 8/7x275, 5/5x275
* Cleaned up form a bit. Good hard work.

Leg Curl: 7x255, 5+255
* Also cleaned up form a bit here; I was starting to get too eager to progress and cheating a bit... forcing full ROM now.

Squats: 225x12, 315x6, 315x5
* Good clean sets; felt good and probably could have pushed for more but I wasn't in power rack and didn't have a spotter, so I didn't chance it. I am starting to feel really comfortable with 315 though -- it's not at all scary, the way it was when I first started squatting again, and 6 reps equals my previous personal best, I think... my low back was a bit sore after the second set but not dangerously so; it was just protesting against the unaccustomed stabilizing I asked it to do, I think.

Leg Press: 15x450, 8x810
*Back to 8 at 810 for Leg Press...woo! I have kinda decided to not alternate legpress and squats but rather alternate intensity... one week I'll do just one heavy set on one, one week I'll do one on the other instead of two... we'll see how that works... I may switch up order of these as well.

Calf Press: 15x450, 12x540
* Gonna feel this tomorrow... calves are already a bit achy

PlateLoad Kneeling Leg Curls: none
*Skipped these today due to them being occupied by The Smelly Guy.

Overall I love the new focus and pace of the new scheme so far... felt that I hit legs good and hard

Relentless
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
SHOULDERS/TRAPS DAY

Seated Military Press: 12x105, 6x175, 5x175
* Tried new exercise; felt OK...

Seated Arnold Press: 5x75, 4x75, 13x40
* Felt a little drained going right to this instead of doing something else in between; added in a 3rd light set to help work it all out.

Around the World: 6x22.5s, 8x20s, 6x20s
* Delts just feeling toasted by this point

Shrugs: 6x315, 7x315, 12x225, 9x225
*Good burn across traps, kept motion slow and controlled and tight.

Upright Row: 5x120, 4x120, 12x70
* I really really hate doing this with an EZ curl bar; gonna try alternate methods

T'was nice to have a quick workout; I went on the rooftop patio for some sunshine after the workout, caught 10 mins of rays and then went to change; stopped off to do a polishing superset of shoulder press/shrugs with the shoulder press machine; did two dropsets and totally fatigued both muscle groups... nice.

I do feel kind of fat today though; I think my body is totally coming down off the Ephedra I'd been taking and I'm starting to really retain water more (esp w/ Creatine) and I gained a couple pounds, at least temporarily...

Relentless
06-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Back/Biceps Day

Wide Grip Chins: 4+1xBW, 4xBW, 10xBW-80
* Cool, didn't expect to even get 4 for the normal chins; I'm a lot stronger than I thought... now to progess and start adding weight. :)

T-Bar Row: 5x205, 6x180, 9x135
* Felt a little drained going right to this instead of doing something else in between; also, one of my ribs popped out of alignment last night and has been giving me grief. It hurt a bit doing this but then the rib seemed to pop back in on the light set.

Deadlifts: 10x225, 5x315, 2x335, 10x225
* OMFG I can't believe how psyched I was after this. I am really adapting to the exercise and 225 feels like practically nothing now, while 315 is quite comfy as a working weight. I got all hyped and slapped on another 20 lbs and put THAT up for 2, which was cool. Might have done more, but with my rib being fussy I didn't want to push things until I see my chiro

Dumbbell 21s Curls: 7-7-7x30s, 7-7-7x30s
*Had to slow down cadence a bit on the second set but powered through. Should advance to 35s next week.

1-arm DB preacher curls: 3/4 x35, 7/7x25, 8/8x25
* Arms were feeling pretty toasty by this point; it was neat to struggle with a pretty light weight for curls; I am sure that my body will acclimate to the new workload in time though;

Close Grip Chins: 2xBW
* Grip, arms and lats were just SCREAMING by this point. I was gonna do close grip pulldowns but couldn't access a machine. So i tried some chins to close it off. I think it's a good sign of how hard I worked today that I could only manage 2 at this point.

Static Hangs: BWx24secs, BWx35secs
* Between deads, pullups and bicep work my grip and forearms were aching, I simply couldn't hang on for the times I managed before. Which is a good thing, I guess. :)

Relentless
06-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Had a good swim for some cardioish stuff today... ;)

Relentless
06-25-2002, 12:04 PM
OK, why am I doing pecs on leg day?

Funny story

On the weekend, I was playing bachelor as the wife was out of town at a conference. So needless to say, I was keeping odd hours, doing various manly things, ranging from detailing my car to drinking a few beers on the patio to going out with the lads for some mischief.

So I'm at home, it's 1:30am Sunday morning, and I'm wired as all hell. I decide to work out. There's a 24-hr gym nearby, so I fired down a protein shake and schlepped over there to pump some iron.

I don't know why I felt like doing legs, but I did, so I mixed things up a bit, using the odd session to try some new leg stuff (SLDLs, Good Mornings, SBSLDLs, etc.).

The funny part was, around 2:30am, about a half dozen babes come in and head up to the cardio area. We're talking cocoa butter salon tans, fake breasts and a fair bit of mileage showing on their faces. Yes, that's right, STRIPPERS. :hump: There's a strip bar not far from the gym as well, and I figured they had just gotten off shift and come down to work out after a hard day's hustling suckers out of their money. Anyway, it was kind of neat, as a couple of them did some light weightlifting stuff after their cardio (yeah, I admit I slowed down my lifting so I could enjoy the show) and two of 'em even asked me questions about an exercise I was doing (squats).

I think I actually blushed :redface: when I was explaining what muscles were affected. This one girl heard me say that it works glutes as well as quads and immediately turned around and showed me her thong-and-tights-clad posterior and asked if I thought she 'needed to do squats'. I think I said something about how she looked pretty good back there but that EVERYONE could stand to do squats, 'cause it keeps everything nice and firm. That got a couple of giggles...

They didn't want to try squats then, but I tell ya it was good motivation for me to knock off solid reps when you've got a couple of good looking (albeit slightly skanky) women staring at you. ;) Anyway, I was a good boy :angel: and politely declined when one asked for my number.

So, that's the story of why I'm doing pecs on leg day. I'll skip leg day this week, I think . . . hopefulyl I'll get a day in in PEI next week.

BB Bench: 6x225, 5+1x225
* Thought I'd be more comfortable and stronger moving to BB bench from the machine but 225 felt pretty heavy. Gonna stick with this a while and be cautious about moving it up.

Incline DB Press: 5+1x85s, 5+1x85s
* had an excellent second set, though I was hoping for more in the first set. I can already feel my body starting to adapt to the new, more intense workouts.

Dips: BW+25x7, BW+25x5, BWx8
* about the same as last week; 1 less on 2nd set, 2 more on BW set. Nice deep dips; I watched some punk smirk at me while I only did 5 at +25 and then he proceeded to do 10 or 12 with +35.... and about 1/3 the ROM I was using... he was barely bending his elbows. Sheesh.

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 10/9x50, 5/4x70 13/12x40
*good burn on the tris again; progressed a lot from last week

Narrow Grip Bench: 8x185, 6x205, 4x205
* much better than last week; very smooth, very solid reps

Pec Flyes: 4x210, 6x210, 15x120
*Did the first set too soon after narrow grip bench, I guess. Recovered a bit more and had a solid second set. Polishing set at 120 had my pecs just SCREAMING. Fun stuff.

Relentless
06-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Cardio today.
Kicked ass.

Started another lil' run of Ephedrine to see if I can drop another 8-10lbs or so over the next month or so.... I'm going to up the dosage from what I was using last time and take more of it each day to see how that changes things.

Relentless
06-27-2002, 12:01 PM
SHOULDERS/TRAPS DAY

Seated Military Press: 12x135, 5x185, 6x185
* getting into the groove; up from last week, I'll be putting up 225 in no time. ;)

Seated Arnold Press: 6+1x70, 6x70, 13x40
* Dropped these to 70 from 75 so i don't sacrifice form coz I'm tired from mil press... ;) got some good lifting in at 70 tho

Lateral Raises: 9x22.5s, 7x25s, 13x15s
* changed to plain lat raises instead of ATW to add some flava to the workout; I seem to be able to lift more at this weight; gonna put up 30s next week if I do shoulders in PEI

BB Shrugs: 6x315, 7x315, 10x225, 10x225
*Good burn across traps, kept motion slow and controlled and tight. Avoiding the urge to sway really focuses this in on the traps.

Upright Row: 6x95, 6+1x95
* Went to an Olympic BB to do these; much better and more stable/comfortable.

Relentless
06-28-2002, 11:41 AM
Back/Biceps Day

Wide Grip Chins: 5xBW, 4+1xBW, 10xBW-80
* Slight improvement on last week. going to be strapping weight to myself in no time, I'm sure...

T-Bar Row: 6x205, 7x180, 12x135
* good sets; improved on last week but still not to where I was when I was doing push/pull... hm.... ah well, if the muscle is fatigued from less weight, so be it. growth is growth.

Deadlifts: 10x225, 4x315, 4x315, 9x225
* Bummer... felt weaker than last week on deads for some reason; I'm not going to push higher until i can get 7 or 8 at 315... must focus....

Incline DB Curls: 10/10x40s, 2/2x50s, 7/7x40s, 6/6x40s
*Thought I'd jump for a set at 50s after a strong start on the 40s, but couldn't do it. based on performance today though, i can probably jump to 45s as working weight next week . . . ;)

DB 21s: 7-7-7x30, 7-7-3x30
* Good thing I decided not to put this one up; holy crap my arms were tired after the incline curls

Well, that wraps up another week. Hopefully I will have chances to work out on my vacation; don't want to atrophy or nothin'.

If I don't make it on to post in the next week, see y'all later. :) Once I have a nice vacation tan I make get some pics as well...

rookiebldr
06-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Have a good time in Ottawa.

Relentless
07-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Well, back from vacation today and I'm finally plugged back into an internet feed and catching up on stuff.

Ottawa for Canada Day was insane. Hot enough to fry eggs on your forehead, crowded as usual and if it weren't for the magic of brewed barley products, I'd have been miserable.

PEI was relaxing, pleasant and charming, as always.

Overall, my diet was not ideal, but it wasn't total crap. I kept eating mostly what I normally eat, and I brought along a couple pounds of whey and my supplements. I gained about six pounds, which ain't bad, considering.

I managed one workout in Ottawa and one in PEI, which was nice, and since I knew I was going to get minimal chance to workout I did whole-body workouts each time, focusing on heavy compound exercises and a good solid set of lifts for each muscle group. My younger brother worked out with me and he managed to dead 275 for one, despite never having tried them before. It was impressive. He does have a physical-labour type job with a lot of lifting tho, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

That's it for now. Back in the gym on Thursday (tomorrow is a break so I can catch up at work . . . .)

cal

Relentless
07-10-2002, 08:08 PM
here's a pic of my brother, his g/f and myself at the insanity that was Canada Day in Ottawa.

I have decided that I hate the picture because that shirt made me look small . . . ah well . . . it soon became too hot for shirts anyway, so the stupid shirt was pressed into service as an impromptu turban-headdress after soaking it in water, much to my companions' amusement.

it was stinkin' hot that day, too. Thank god for the emergency cold barley infusions

Cal

P.S. I'm the guy on the right. The bigger guy. I guess that should be obvious, but ya never know.

ElPietro
07-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Cool man, looks like you had a good time. Remember to always be watching for cameras so you can make sure that the closest muscle to the lens is fully flexed! In this instance you actually had a chance to pose so you should have done a rapid set of pushups followed by flexed bicep curls in the air for some quick pump, and then strike a pose, a la Hans & Franz! :D

Looks like you have some good size regardless. :thumbup:

rookiebldr
07-10-2002, 09:10 PM
:withstupi

Nice use of the Canadian Maple leafs.

Relentless
07-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Cool man, looks like you had a good time. Remember to always be watching for cameras so you can make sure that the closest muscle to the lens is fully flexed! In this instance you actually had a chance to pose so you should have done a rapid set of pushups followed by flexed bicep curls in the air for some quick pump, and then strike a pose, a la Hans & Franz! :D

Looks like you have some good size regardless. :thumbup:

LOL!
I'll have to remember that.

Actually, my eyes were tired when i was checkin' the pic out; I guess it isn't THAT bad . . . you can see my pecs and shoulders a bit... I did come away from vacation with a decent tan tho, so once I shed the 5-6 lbs of extra mass I gained from eating lobster and stuff, I'll have to do some progress pics. ;)

Relentless
07-11-2002, 11:40 AM
SHOULDERS/TRAPS DAY

Seated Military Press: 10x135, 6x185, 5x185
* Surprised I got this much after a week and a bit with no shoulder work . . . not too bad.

Seated Arnold Press: 6x70, 5x70, 9x40
* Again not bad; my left arm seems to be lagging less than before. Maybe it just needed a rest.

Lateral Raises: 6x25s, 5x25s, 13x15s
* Good solid sets

BB Shrugs: 7x315, 6x315, 13x225, 10x225
*Good burn across traps, kept motion slow and controlled and tight.

Reverse Flyes: 13x60, 6x105, 6x105
* decided to add this in instead; hit the rear delts for a while and see what happens... felt good lifting at these weights

Overall I didn't do as bad as I thought I might after the vacation. I'm guardedly pleased.

Relentless
07-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Back/Biceps Day

Wide Grip Chins: 5+1xBW, 4+1xBW, 10xBW-80
* I'm happy that this didn't decline during my vacation...

T-Bar Row: 5x205, 6x180, 10x135
* I was having trouble breathing properly on this today for some reason... just didn't feel good with the movement... I guess the lifts were OK tho; again no backsliding.

Deadlifts: 10x225, 4x315, 1.5x365!!!, 9x225
* New personal best. Fookin A!! I am starting to get impressed looks from those around me when I pick up the bar for deads; 405 here I come, baby!!

Incline DB curls: 7/7x45, 4/4x50, 6/6x40
* I was not going to do 50s, originally, but maybe I was all stoked from pulling 365 on the dead, so I left in a set at 50 and was pleased. Now that I'm focusing on biceps more fully, I am seeing good results; I'm also seeing more definition coming out in my arms; starting to get the vascularity reemerging on forearms and biceps!

Dumbbell 21s Curls: 7-7-4x25s, 7-7-3x25s
*I was totally spent by this point between the deads and the heavy inc db curls; but who cares!!

Great lifting today. I want to go beat someone up or something!! Yay testosterone!

ElPietro
07-12-2002, 12:07 PM
I want to go beat someone up or something!! [/B]

Do it man!!! :thumbup: Just make sure you pick someone smaller and weaker to insure victory! :D

Relentless
07-12-2002, 12:33 PM

Do it man!!! :thumbup: Just make sure you pick someone smaller and weaker to insure victory! :D

LOL!

If I keep jacking up, that category will soon apply to 95% of the population. ;) Booya!

Relentless
07-15-2002, 11:44 AM
took creatine pre-workout today, to see how it felt... was a little antsy and flushed before getting to the gym but I didn't feel that much stronger... I'll keep doign creatine pre-workout instead of post-workout this week and we'll see how I feel

CHEST AND TRICEPS

BB Bench: 7x225, 5+1x225
* Starting to feel more comfortable with this lift again; feeling very tight and strong throughout the motion; we'll see if I can get 8 or 9 before upping this...

Incline DB Press: 6x85s, 4+1x85s, 12x40s
* got a clean 6 @ 85 for the first time in the new regime, which is wicked... once I can get a couple more reps here, I'll jack it up to 90.

Dips: BW+35x5, BW+25x4, BWx8
* tried adding another 10lbs to this and was surprised... I really struggled to get up at 35 though; working real hard.

Narrow Grip Bench: 6x205, 5x205, 15x135
* triceps were just screamin' at this point, not sure why . . . good lifting though...

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 9/8x50, 4/4x70 9/10x40
*lifted a few reps less than last week, but I did these before narrow grip bench last week so oh well. . .

Pec Flyes: 6x210, 5x210, 13x120
*solid sets with good extension and ROM on the rearward potion, with a peak contraction at the top of the motion. This is definitely my fave exercise to end a chest workout.

ElPietro
07-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Sorry did I miss something? I remember your bench being much higher. :confused:

Just wondering if you had an injury, or some change in your program.

Relentless
07-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Ha ha. Yeah, Previous benching weight was based on a bench press machine thingy... not freeweight barbell bench. I had been avoiding freeweight bench initially because I wanted to build up some basic functional strength, didn't have a spotter and generally disliked going into the freeweight room to do a pretty sad and pathetic benchpress when the rest of my lifts were more respectable.

When I changed to my altered split, I also changed to basic BB bench from machine bench, which has produced this reduction in weight moved. Anyway, I feel a lot more confident and a lot stronger in this movement now, and I anticipate this weight shooting up fairly quickly as I acclimate to the stablization/motion of freeweight.

ElPietro
07-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Ah ok, that's cool...better late than never to switch over. Judging by your other lifts your bench will rise rather quickly. :thumbup:

Relentless
07-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Only got ~ 4.5 hours sleep last night; just couldn't close my eyes for some reason . . . ah well

First full leg day since "Night of the Strippers" 3 weeks ago . . . I was a little scared that I'd have lost strength since then, given that I only did some squats and SLDLs and few other leg stuff on my vacation. I needn't have worried.

LEG DAY

Leg Ext: 12x355 then 7/7x255(1-legged) and 6/5x275 (1-legged)
* Got about what I had before but it somehow felt . . . cleaner? Easier? Bloody solid reps, either way. Funny thing tho; a personal trainer was with a client on the next machine over and she commented on my set at 355, something about that being a good weight. I guess I sounded a little cocky when I muttered something about it being "just a warmup set" because she kinda gave me the hairy eyeball. But when I put 275 up 1-legged for some clean reps, she lost the look of disdain and looked impressed. I even got points for form as she explained to her client why it was good to do leg extensions the way I do them (full ROM, with pause/peak contraction at the top of the ROM). Guess I'm doing something right. I have no idea what I'll do when I can put up 355 with one leg . . . guess I'll have to find a machine with a different leverage or something.

Leg Curls: 15x165, 5+1x255, 4+1x255
* A rep or two less than I used to get, IIRC... no big though; I got lots of hammy work later on.

Squats: 10x225, 5x315, 4x315
* Probably could have gotten more on the two working sets, but there was no one around I trusted to spot me. Anyway, so I focused on getting nice and deep, going a bit beyond parallel with each rep and found it suitably challenging. Going parallel is hard enough; going past parallel definitely adds challenge to the lift. I don't think I'd do it for much more than 315 though; my knees definitely felt the strain here.

SBSLDL: 6x225, 4x275, 5x225
* cool, first time trying these at my regular gym... really felt 'em in my hammies; I didn't quite get a full ROM because I had no box to stand on. Well, there WAS a box, but I didn't trust it to hold me AND 2-300 lbs on a bar... it was just made of wood.

I wanted to do leg press after SBSLDLs but these two frigging chicks were using both the calf press and the leg press to do calves and they did about 5 sets with several minutes of chatting in btween each set :swear: :swear: :swear: Anyway, I slowed down my DL sets and while I was doing good mornings, they finally wandered off. Some guy pounced on the Leg Press machine right after them though, so I had to do some calf work to fill the time while I waited.

Good mornings: 6x135, 10x135
*I probably can do a bunch more here; I had strength to burn but I was concerned about the form and the position of the BB on my shoulders; must ask Belial or someone who does grossly heavy GMs just where they position the bar for this and what their form is like . . .

Seated Lever Calf Press: 12x135, 4x225, 5x225, 12x180
* started to get a bit of a cramp in left calf on last rep or two at 225. . . guess I worked 'em hard.

45-degree plateloaded Leg Press Sled: 10x450, 7x630
* decided not to push on to 810 because my hammies were really feeling the strain and I didn't want to pull something. 630 felt light though; I will certainly do 810 next week, maybe even push for a new 1RM of 860 or 900 or something.

rookiebldr
07-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Looks like a fckn ace leg day. :thumbup: I'm really jealous!! :cry: oh and drunk.

Relentless
07-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Cardio today. Did it, but suffered during.

Between sore legs from a great leg workout yesterday and the heat & humidity (by Beelzebub's Brazen Bollocks it is nasty out there!!!) I dragged my arse a bit.

To reward myself for my perserverance, I lounged about on the rooftop deck at the gym and soaked up some sunshine for 15 minutes or so after the cardio.

Relentless
07-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated Military Press: 10x135, 7x185, 5+1x185
* good solid repping; the cadence was rather slow though; i found myself not stopping the reps, but slowing them down near my sticking point. Pushed them all through though...

Arnold Press: 6+1x70s, 5+1x70s, 13+1x40s
* left arm not lagging today and got legitimate +1 reps at the end of each, which puts me slightly ahead of last week. Well, except for the light set at 40 . . . only got 9 last week but I Herked out and got 13 reps! Some dude was doing Arnolds next to me offered to spot, which was nice... said no thanx though; he actually worked up to a set at 65, but his ROM was kind of iffy, and his spotter's arms were bulging as he 'spotted' him.

Lateral Raises:7+1x25, 6+1x25, 14x15
* improved each set by a rep or a rep and a half. Not too shabby. Really felt my shoulders dying as I did these after the heavy press motions.

BB Shrugs: 7x315, 2+1x365/3x315, 12x225, 10x225
* tried a set at 365 just for shits and giggles. Not too shabby, shrugged it up for two solid and one cheat/halfrep.

Got into a bit of a discussion with two guys after they overheard me advising an acquaintance about going for a fuller ROM on his bench (he was only going down to 3-4" above his chest!). They advised me that a great exercise for the 'inner chest' was inverted-grip dips. I briefly objected to their concept of 'chest areas' but didn't push too hard because one of them also complimented me on my triceps which, I admit, were looking quite jacked when I was doing shrugs. I figure anyone that tells me I look buff deserves a break; I'm a sucker for flattery.

Note to self: Flexing triceps when walking around seems to be paying off. Hehe.

Reverse Flyes: 11x105, 5x135, 7x105, 6x105
*Really worked hard at this and reps and weights are way up from last week... ROM was good though I struggled a bit on the heavy set. I think it's a case of acclimating to the motion; this is only the second week I've done these...

Relentless
07-19-2002, 10:27 AM
no lifting today... taking the day off so I can do back/bi with ElPietro tomorrow instead... :)

I always get hyped when i work out with a partner, so I'll either have great lifts or I'll get all choked and totally spaz on my lifts. We'll see...

Franco
07-19-2002, 10:32 AM
no lifting today... taking the day off so I can do back/bi with ElPietro tomorrow instead... :)

Just make sure that you don't copy his twinky eating habit and you'll be fine;)

Relentless
07-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by FAngel

Just make sure that you don't copy his twinky eating habit and you'll be fine;)

Not much chance of that.

Of course, he will probably kick my ass on most of the lifts and make me feel like a weak little girl . . . if he can do that while eating twinkies, maybe I should supplement with some creme-filled goodness, too...

ElPietro
07-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Twinkies should be the primary staple in all bodybuilding diets!!!

MonStar
07-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Nice journal Callahan!! :D:D

I dont know why, but before today I have never really checked out your journal. Some very impressive lifts. I try and check out every single member's journal I must have just missed yours somehow. Not sure why. Anyway Ill be checking it out from now on.

What is your split like?

Relentless
07-19-2002, 01:49 PM
My workout/split is posted partway down page 4 of the journal, Mike. I thought you read it. :p

/edit/

OK, that was a little snippy... hehe

The workout I follow is posted on Page 4 tho, along with a record of the gains I've made over the last year.

Relentless
07-21-2002, 08:05 PM
Saturday:
Back and Bi Day with ElPietro

Bench Press: 15x125, 4x215, 1x235, failx255
* tried an 1RM with ElPietro spotting; overall it was ok but kind of frustrating. I guess I would have been amazed about putting up 235 a year ago, so it ain't all bad. This was just a gratuitous extra bench thing as well, so many I was still tired from my first pec workout of the week. :)

Wide Grip Chins: 5xBW, 5+1xBW, 4xBW
* Assisted machine not around, so had to do all sets with BW... no big deal but no more than I've done before... feeling stronger through the ROM tho

Deadlifts:8x225, 3x315, 1x365, Failx375, 1x315
* Well, at least I pulled 365 up for one again... no 1/2 this time... I blame my sore hammys from this week's leg workout. :)

Belial Rows: 6/6x75, 3/2x125
* Writing out "1-hand EZ-curl Rows" is just annoying, so I will name these after their creator. :) The motion was definitely kind of different, but I can see myself rapidly acclimating to it. Overall I found it not too bad to do, and keeping strict form and ROM will definitely be key here...

T-Bar rows: 6x180, 6x180
*wanted to finish off the lats completely after the Belial Rows. :)

Incline DB curls: 6/5x50s, 3/3x50s then 3/3x40s, 7/7x40s
*After watching him kick my ass in all other lifts, I was moderately relieved to see ElPietro decline to lift heavier weights than me on at least one exercise... hehe. Of course, he has done NO bicep work in the last while, which makes a difference...

It was definitely fun to workout with a partner, despite it taking me out of my accustomed 'rhythm' and also not wearing my headset, which subjected me to the crap music on the house speakers. I was definitely impressed with the strength ElPietro exhibited and it was inspirational to watch him deadlift. Hopefully it won't take too long to get caught up, or at least closer to his lifts. :)

The football game was good; the teams were pretty well balanced and it went right down to the wire at the end, which is my favourite kind of game. Overall I had a good time playing against ElP, he's a big guy, but he has what John Madden calls "COD" or Change of Direction. Despite the advantage of cleats, I was caught a step or two short of the big man on several occasions, at least two of them leading to TDs. He seemed to have, by design or accident, a knack of getting other players in my way while I pursued him.

The only advantage I think I had was a bit more on the top end, speedwise, but I was hacking a bit and suffering in the heat. However, when I WAS able to put on a good sprint, I got behind ElP for a TD and a couple nice receptions. I managed to prang my hand catching a kick before the game and then again catching a pass in the game... I played hurt and toughed it out but it started to swell pretty good. Today it's kind purple on the base of my thumb and I think I may have fractured a bone in there... I can move my thumb but have restricted ROM and some pain. Anyway, hopefully I will have a bit higher conditioning next time I must face ElP in football, and use this to burn him deep.... :evillaugh No more taking plays off and running short to save your wind, P. :) Heh. I'll make you work much harder next time.

It was a blast going out to the Pilate gig, even though the Brit band that followed them on at Lee's Palace was pretty much crap. The Brits actually came to the party at Todd's afterward and a couple of them hit on my wife while plying her with drinks and some fairly nice weed that they'd scored. Being the cool chick that she is, she smiled and let them chat her up, smoked their stuff and then politely rebuffed them... suckers.

ElPietro now probably has a totally inflated notion of how interesting it is to hang out with my friends and I. :) Saturday was definitely a great day, with lots of fun happening. Anyway, everyone seemed to enjoy his presence, so he's allowed to come by again anytime.

Oh, and aside from my bunged up hand, I am NOT sore from playing football. Muahahahaha!!! Sucka! Then again, I have a lot more recent time spent playing football, so my legs are well used to the running. Bust out the A535, P!! :D

Callahan

Alex.V
07-21-2002, 08:08 PM

Belial Rows 6/6x75, 3/2x125
* Writing out "1-hand EZ-curl Rows" is just annoying, so I will name these after their creator. :) The motion was definitely kind of different, but I can see myself rapidly acclimating to it. Overall I found it not too bad to do, and keeping strict form and ROM will definitely be key here...

BA HA HA HA.

Holy crap, that's a kick.

Good workout, though. Nice to have along somebody who you're basically on the same wavelength as, eh?

ElPietro
07-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Oh no...I told you not to call them that! Now his giant meathead is going to swell to be wider than an olympic bar now! :eek: :D

ElPietro
07-21-2002, 08:20 PM
Oh and I had a great time playin football. Considering it's my first time running in that manner in like years I would say I have a lot of improving to do. So that basically means that things will get harder for you each time out my friend. ;)

We'll have to do a leg day before football sometime. That would be fun. :eek:

Or maybe I'll bring you out to the club sometime...we can practice some take downs and submission holds... :D We'll see how you do in my world! :evillaugh

Good lifting though...you and your better half both have a great attitude and will be progressing nicely I think.

Relentless
07-22-2002, 12:24 PM
No lifting today. Giving myself a rest after possibly breaking my hand on Saturday. Hope to get in for xrays in the next day or two; if the swelling and pain keeps abating though, I may just go ahead and work out tomorrow . . . we'll see . . .

Relentless
07-23-2002, 11:36 AM
CHEST AND TRICEPS

Had a bit of a crap workout today. Having FUBARed my right hand on the weekend, playing football, I was a little nervous about lifting because I didn't want to exacerbate the problem...

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal EXCEPT that I would periodically and semi-randomly lose strength in my right arm as a bit of pain radiated up from my hand... this caused several lifts to suffer...

Incline DB Press: 10x40s, 6+1x85s, 4+1x85s
* Had to do these first due to a lack of available benches. I thought FOR SURE i'd get 7, but I just couldn't push it through on the last rep...

BB Bench: 10x125, 3x215, 1x215, 10x125
* Just died here; also realized I was overreporting lifts because most of the olympic-style bars here are only 35lbs, not 45lbs... stupid cheapass GoodLife bastids. Anyway, my right arm kept just spazzing out, so I won't worry too much about this.

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 11/11x50, 7/6x70 11/12x40
*at least this one progressed, I guess partly because I did it earlier in the workout. We'll see.

Dips: BWx5, BWx5+1
* didn't even TRY to add weight; it was hard enough on my hand trying to do this with BW.

Pec Flyes: 6+1x210, 4+1x210, 11+1x120
*not bad; I skipped narrow grip bench and ended workout here

Overall i was kinda disappointed with my lifting, but I won't beat myself up over it until my hand heals. :)

rookiebldr
07-23-2002, 04:06 PM
It's good news that you are still able to lift those weights. I guess this means that your hand is not broken. Are you still planning on getting the xrays or do you think it is just bruised or sprained?

Relentless
07-24-2002, 07:37 AM
I think that I will forgo the x-ray; at this point I've recovered enough use and the swelling/pain is greatly reduced.

ElPietro
07-24-2002, 07:43 AM
It looked like a jam when I saw it. Those probably hurt worse than a break, but fortunately once the swelling goes down feel a whole lot better. Maybe just give a little bit more rest before your next session...let it settle down. As long as it's not aggravated I think these things tend to go away pretty quickly.

Relentless
07-24-2002, 07:47 AM
well, given the way it hurt and the symptoms presented, I was concerned I might have put a stress fracture or something into one of the carpal(?) bones in my hand, which was also what Sara thought it might have been

the real indicator was how fast I've been recovering; I also got this homeopathic gel stuff that seems to be helping...

Relentless
07-24-2002, 11:42 AM
LEG DAY

Notes: Felt kinda crappy today; nothing specific, just the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Leg Ext: 12x355 then 7/7x275(1-legged) and 7/6x275 (1-legged)
* Eh, OK. Slightly better than last week.

Leg Curls: skipped this week

SBSLDL: 12x135, 7x225, 5x275, 7x225
* At least this went up! :)

Squats: 10x225, 3x315, 2x315, 4x225ATF, 4x225
* I just felt weird doing these today. Weird like I was borrowing someone else's body to do the lifts and I hadn't quite figured out how to make the new body work quite right. *sigh* I don't know why.

Good mornings: 8x135, 10x135
*Not going to push heavy here without spotters; just did 'em over a squat rack. Felt OK.

45-degree plateloaded Leg Press Sled: 12x450, 5x720, 10x450
* I don't know why but maybe it was a quad thing; first squats felt off and then this; hm. Anyway, didn't push for 810 again this time, and in fact though I had juice left at 5, I stopped there for 720 for some reason.

Calf Raises on 45-degree plateloaded Leg Press Sled: 12x450, 6x450
* started to get twitchy at rep 4 on the second set, so I cashed in at that point...

Ugh, just a crap day overall. I will take tomorrow as a total rest day (no cardio even) and see how I feel Friday.

MonStar
07-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Lifting Goals:Progress for 29/11/2002:
Incline DB Press, 100lb DBs: 6@85s! | Leg Press, 1000lbs 1RM: 8@810 | Squat, 405lbs 1RM: 6@315 | Deadlift, 405lbs 1RM: 1.5@365

Good luck achieving all these goals by the end of November man. If you get them youll be strong as f*cking hell bro. I just modified all of my goals (link in my signature) for 2003, and I have a feeling some of them maybe set too high - oh well I like to strive for a lot.

Relentless
07-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 12x135, 5x185, 5+1x185
* changing this to BTN made it a bit harder, but I feel it hits delts more fully.

Arnold Press: 6+1x70s, 6+1x70s, 11x40s
* Got a bit more lifting on the first 2 sets, but then I was tired out for the light set. :) Ah well.

Lateral Raises:10x25, 8x25, 14x15
* I guess I should bump these to 30s... holy crap my delts were sore after this. I swear I could feel individual muscle fibres protesting.

BB Shrugs: 9x315, 6x335, 15x225, 12x225
* Hm. I think I will bump working weights up a bit. next week, I'll shoot for 2 heavy sets at 335 and 2 medium sets at 245 and see how that flies.

Reverse Flyes: 7x105, 3x135, 7+1x90, 16x75
*Really worked hard at this and but reps and weights down from last week... ROM was good though I struggled a bit on the heavy set. Maybe my shoulders were just too tired from all the other lifting.

Overall, this wasn't a bad workout; I'm still pissed about my car being broken into, so I spent some quality time kicking the crap out of the heavy bag for 5-6 minutes. Ahh, venting.:bang: :bang:

I swear, if I ever find out who messed with my car, I'll sit on his head and :fart:

Relentless
07-27-2002, 04:17 PM
Back/Biceps Day (in Barrie)

Wide Grip Chins: 6xBW, 5+1xBW, 7xBW-80, 7xBW-80
* yay! got 6 reps on BW... soon I'll be doing enough BW reps to warrant adding weight to these. :)

Yates Row: 6x135, 7x135, 12x90
* The supinated grip instead of pronated grip (changing from traditional bb row style to yates, palm-up style) makes a big difference in how much I feel this in my lats. Which is killer. I will stick with this style for a while

Deadlifts: 10x225, 3x315, Failx375, Failx365, 3x315, 10x225
* Ugh. Don't know why I crapped out on the heavies here. Ah well, this whole week has been 'off'. Hopefully next week will be better, I'm sure even the pros have bad weeks.

Belial Rows: 10/10x75, 4/4x100, 7/7x75
* Not going to go TOO heavy here until I'm rock solid on the form.

Incline DB curls: 4/4x50, 7/7x40, 6/6x40
* I was pretty tired coming into this exercise so I didn't get all I hoped for; still not bad though. Forward progress is all, baby!

Dumbbell 21s Curls: 7-7-7x25s, 7-7-6x25s, 7-7-9x15s
*By the time I finished the light set at the end, I could see heretofor unseen vascularity in forearms and biceps as I got a wicked pump going. It was much fun.

rookiebldr
07-28-2002, 10:51 PM
...in Barrie
you do travel for your workouts. :D

Dumbbell 21s Curls: 7-7-7x25s, 7-7-6x25s, 7-7-9x15s
*By the time I finished the light set at the end, I could see heretofor unseen vascularity in forearms and biceps as I got a wicked pump going. It was much fun. [/B]

:cool: :cool:

P.S. so did the thieving f*ckers steal anything? Although, my car hasn't been broken into, someone keeps stealing my emblem off my car and scratching the paint. :mad:

Relentless
07-29-2002, 06:50 AM

you do travel for your workouts. :D

Well, yeah. I live in Barrie and work in Toronto, so I frequently hit the gym in both locations. Plus I have friends and family in various places across Ontario, so I'll often find myself working out in other cities. :)

P.S. so did the thieving f*ckers steal anything? Although, my car hasn't been broken into, someone keeps stealing my emblem off my car and scratching the paint.

Yeah, see the thread in Gen Chat about the car . . . basically they took the faceplate from my stereo, tried (and failed) to remove the main part of the deck, took the remote control for the stereo, took about $6 in change from my change dish and also 5-6 CDs including three of the mix CDs I made up from Mp3s for my vacation, which is pretty irritating because I slaved my ass off making those.

The cops said there were a whole rash of thefts in my area that same night, so hopefully it was a one-off incident and not a sign of a bad element moving into my neighborhood.

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 07:13 AM
Although, I know I told you this before and I suspect you will stubbornly continue to do things as you have ;), why not do your deadlifts first? The lats don't play the biggest part in the lift, but just having your initial energy to dedicate to the major compound would probably make 365 a breeze to pull. Then you could move on to your lats and probably have no impact on the numbers there. I want you to be tearing 4 plates off the ground next time we meet up!

Relentless
07-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Elpietro: Yeah, I'll try deads first this week, see how it goes . . . you've sold me, dude!

CHEST AND TRICEPS

I thought this was going to be a repeat of last week, but I felt good on most exercises except BB bench. For some reason, I am regressing there.

BB Bench: 13x125, 5x215, 4x215
* Ah well, better than last week's pathetic lifts. Forward progress again.

Incline DB Press: 4x90s!!! 10x70s, 15x40s
* New PR; the 90s felt heavy but I f'n hammered them!! Woo! Reduced weight on 2nd set to allow for a good longer lift and then just cranked out reps at 40. Felt awesome! BB bench may be lagging but at least this ain't.

Dips: BW+35x5, BW+25x5, BWx7
* Gah. I think I really need to buy a belt to hang weights off of myself.

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 12/12x50, 4/3x70 13/12x40
*A bit of regression in the heavy set. I don't care though; I attribute it to the heavier DB incline bench and rapid pace after the dips.

Narrow Grip Bench: 7x205, 5x205, 16x135
*Nice. Really felt the concentration on tris as I PUSHED the weight up.

Pec Flyes: 4x210, 5x210, 18x120
*perhaps all the other work going up tired me out here; not advancing on this, but I was happy with the lifts I guess.

Overall a great workout, and I'm totally hyped about the new PR on Incline DB Press

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Wow, 4x90 is great! I'm gonna stick with the 85s tonight. I'm still trying to get the whole knee-kick the dbs up to your chest motion down. Generally, I consider a set successful if I don't fall off the bench! :p

Relentless
07-29-2002, 12:17 PM
Wow, 4x90 is great! I'm gonna stick with the 85s tonight. I'm still trying to get the whole knee-kick the dbs up to your chest motion down. Generally, I consider a set successful if I don't fall off the bench! :p

Heh, thanks. :) 100s by November should be a piece of cake.

I have found that it works better if you don't try to BOUNCE the weight off your knee, but rather just use your leg to sort of rapidly ASSIST your arm in curling the weight to your chest. if that makes sense.

It's amazing what a difference the extra 5lbs makes. With 85s, I almost always felt like I COULD squeeze out one more rep, maybe with a bit of assist. But bumping it up to 90, I got to the 4th rep and then BOOM. Total failure. It was all I could do to sit up and put the weights down without dropping 'em.

I think I'll do 2 sets at 90 next week though, especially if I can get 5 on the first set. If I can only get 4 again, I may go a bit lighter on the 2nd set to make sure I get enough work in on the pecs.

Relentless
07-30-2002, 12:10 PM
LEG DAY

Notes: Felt better than last week; energy levels up again and no pain in my hand...

Leg Ext: 12x355 then 8/8x275(1-legged) and 7/6x275 (1-legged)
* Improved by 1 rep from last week. Yay.

Leg Curls: 15x165, 6x240, 4+1x240
* dropped down 15lb and focussed on ROM and a hold at the end of the motion; awesome burn and harder than I thought... I may drop even lower next week, just to try ut.

Squats: 10x225, 5x315, 4x315, 15x135ATF
* Muuuuch better than last week. 315 is feeling much more stable; hopefully it was just my stressed hammies that f*ed me up last time. Nice, slow, deep reps. Did a long set of ATF at the end and really felt it in my hips, which was cool...

SBSLDL: 10x135, 8x225, 7x225
* decided to keep this lighter with a view to not wearing myself out for Leg Press. Silly me.

Good mornings: skipped

Calf Raises on Seated Lever Calf Press: 15x90, 10x135, 6x180
* Really focused on ROM and hold at the top, per some suggestions I saw here. Holy smokes, it was a great burn on the calves. Just killed them. Gonna do 'em this way from now on.

45-degree plateloaded Leg Press Sled: 12x450
* Got nauseous/dizzy after one set. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the fact that I missed my midmorning meal due to a meeting. I dunno. Anyway, I was running late and didn't want to take too long so I cashed in at this point. I think next week I'll skip Squats and put Leg Press up front after extensions/curls.

rookiebldr
07-30-2002, 03:41 PM
SBSLDL: 10x135, 8x225, 7x225
* decided to keep this lighter with a view to not wearing myself out for Leg Press. Silly me.

I don't remember asking this before, but what are SBSLDL - some sort of Stiff Leg Dead Lift?

45-degree plateloaded Leg Press Sled: 12x450
* Got nauseous/dizzy after one set. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the fact that I missed my midmorning meal due to a meeting. I dunno. Anyway, I was running late and didn't want to take too long so I cashed in at this point. I think next week I'll skip Squats and put Leg Press up front after extensions/curls. [/B]

Chalk it up to intensity - yea. :D

Relentless
07-31-2002, 06:12 AM
I don't remember asking this before, but what are SBSLDL - some sort of Stiff Leg Dead Lift?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

rookiebldr
07-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks. I think I would like this form better then rounding my back to get to the top of feet. Do you find that still gives you the stretch in the hams that your looking for?

ElPietro
07-31-2002, 09:00 AM
You don't want to stretch your hams too much. Putting your hamstring in it's fully stretched point will leave it very weak and vulnerable to injury.

Relentless
07-31-2002, 10:26 AM
yeah, I know . . . I am very cautious in doing these. I may alternate them with good mornings as ham exercises . . . of course, GMs are also a bit risky

ANyway, I take these nice and slow, and while it's risky for the hams, i also find that it works them very well!!

rookiebldr
07-31-2002, 11:09 AM
Thanks, LP. It will likely be more than a few weeks before I put any type of SLDL's back into my routine. I'll remember it for then.

Relentless
08-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 12x135, 6x185, 4+1x185
* not really improved from last week in terms of volume, but I feel that the reps were cleaner. If that counts.

Arnold Press: 6+1x70s, 5+1x70s, 12x40s
* I've been at 70s for a while . . . my excuse for not busting out a set of 7-8 reps was that some guy kept walking in front of me and pissing me off, throwing off my concentration. I may jack up to 75 for a set next week, and see how that feels...

Lateral Raises:5+1x30, 4+1x30, 13x17.5
* Ah, there we go. KILLED my mid-delts with this. After being at 25 for so long I think I got lazy or somethin'. As the weight gets higher here, the real challenge is not cheating, i think. I see a lot of guys trying to lat raise heavy, and they wind up throwing the weight up using their hips and ****. Not me, baby. Slow, focused reps, SQUEEZING with the delts. Fook it's hard.

BB Shrugs: 6x335, 7x335, 16x225, 11x225
* Bumped the heavy but not the light. Damn what a difference 20lbs makes though; felt it all through my traps and rhomboids(?)

Reverse Flyes: 7x105, 8x90, 14x90(rest)
*Did the last set as a 'rest set', where I'd rest and suck air for a breath or two and then try and squeeze out another rep or two after failure... kinda like a dropset, only with resting. :D Good burn. I also really felt this in my mid-delts, which were already toast. Interesting.

Other/notes: I'm done this cycle of E/C stack. I've lost the weight I wanted, pretty much. I'm not shredded or anything, but I'm a lot leaner than I was, and I can see a lot more muscles which is cool.

From now to November, it's all about bulk and strength.

MonStar
08-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Seated BTN Military Press: 12x135, 6x185, 4+1x185
* not really improved from last week in terms of volume, but I feel that the reps were cleaner. If that counts.

Some awesome OH pressing strength Callahan. :thumbup::thumbup:

Seriously very very impressive. I used to swear by these and I think my personal best was 170 or something for just a few reps, youre blowing me away. :eek::eek:

Relentless
08-02-2002, 09:46 AM
Bah. when i can put 2 plates over my head, I'll start being impressed. ;)

But thanks for the kind words... though I suspect that if you still "swore by these" you would have impressive weights going up; from what I see in your journal you have progressed in all your other lifts; I'm sure that if you were doing these you'd be progressing as well.

:)

Actually, I'm more excited about doing the arnold presses... they are by FAR my favourite shoulder exercise.

MonStar
08-02-2002, 10:02 AM
Bah. when i can put 2 plates over my head, I'll start being impressed. ;)

But thanks for the kind words... though I suspect that if you still "swore by these" you would have impressive weights going up; from what I see in your journal you have progressed in all your other lifts; I'm sure that if you were doing these you'd be progressing as well.

:)

Actually, I'm more excited about doing the arnold presses... they are by FAR my favourite shoulder exercise.

Yeah man I dont know. I dropped OH pressing alltogether to see how my shoulders developed. A few people have done this. Myself, Belial, The_Chicken_Daddy, and a few others I believe. I think that my shoulders are progressing fine without the added press. Just do laterals and everything is going good for me.

Yeah I guess my BTN press strength might be around 180-185 lbs. by this time I dont know. Good luck with getting 2 plates over your head man. Thats going to be impressive as f*ck.

Arnold presses are fun by they were always hard on my joints, I really dont know why.

Relentless
08-02-2002, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I am keeping it in there primarily because I feel it is a fairly good power movement for shoulders.

I guess the Arnold Press comfort depends a lot on genetics... I have excellent flexibility in all my joints and muscles and I have good stability and strength throughout my shoulders.

MonStar
08-02-2002, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I am keeping it in there primarily because I feel it is a fairly good power movement for shoulders.

I guess the Arnold Press comfort depends a lot on genetics... I have excellent flexibility in all my joints and muscles and I have good stability and strength throughout my shoulders.

Thats good though that youre able to do Arnold presses.

I wanted to ask you Callahan what you thought about a few things that I have just employed into my training. The first is my rep scheme. For the exercises in my signature my reps will look like this for my worksets:

1st workset: 1-3 reps
2nd workset: 3-5 reps
3rd workset: 5-8 reps

Does that look okay to you? The lower reps are geared more towards neural adaptation and strength rather than hypertrophy like the higher reps.

I am also going to be alternating a week of what I call "heavy" days followed by a week of "light" days. On heavy days Ill train to all out failure going as heavy as I can possible handle. On the light days Ill train a few reps shy of failure going a bit lighter (not a lot) than my heavy days. This is just to give my CNS a break.

I am also incorporating *paused* sets into my routine. For example squats today Ill do all of my worksets then a set of paused squats with 315 I believe - just pausing 3 seconds at the bottom of each rep.

Relentless
08-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Back/Biceps Day

Deadlifts: 15x135, 10x225, 4x315, 1x365, Failx375, 10x225
* Took ElP's advice and did deads first. Dunno if it was because of that or not, but I got 365 up again. Went for 375 and got it a bit above my knees but I couldn't pull past and lockout. Ah well.

Wide Grip Chins: 4xBW, 4+1xBW, 12xBW-80, 7+1xBW-80
* Well, doing deads first burned a lot of my energy. :) Anyway, I'm sure I'll acclimate to the new order of things and get this back up to 6-8 soon again.

Yates Row: 10x90, 6x160, 4x180
* I'm feeling this a bit in the outside edge of my forearms, with the supinated grip... it's cool though; I'm getting back up to the same sort of poundages I had with the pronated grip.

Belial Rows: 12/12x75, 5/5x100, 7/7x75
* Shut up Belial. ;)

Incline DB curls: 4/4x50, 9/9x40, 6+1/6+1x40
* My biceps are starting to blow up. It's wild, really . . . I'm not moving much more weight, but I think because I'm starting to focus on them, they are gaining size. I'm starting to get a decent peak on top and a nice rounded muscle belly on the bis.

Dumbbell 21s Curls: 7-7-7x25s, 7-7-0x30s, 7-7-9x17.5s
*went for a set at 30s, but by the time I did the half reps, i had no juice left for the full reps. Got a good pump at the end with the 17.5s tho.

ElPietro
08-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Back/Biceps Day

Deadlifts: 15x135, 10x225, 4x315, 1x365, Failx375, 10x225
* Took ElP's advice and did deads first. Dunno if it was because of that or not, but I got 365 up again. Went for 375 and got it a bit above my knees but I couldn't pull past and lockout. Ah well.

Hey good job on the deads. I know you struggled a bit with 365 before but have gotten it before as well, but the fact that you went for 375 means that 365 wasn't as tough as usual. And you got it off the floor so you just need to get it locked. Good job man!

I dunno about the set of 10@225 though. That is probably why you couldn't do as much on chins. I would say leave it out but it's obviously your call. Your chins and rows will cover your lats more than enough so unless you feel like there is something in your posterior chain that needs more work I wouldn't bother with it. Considering on leg day you do SLDL and Good Mornings you are already working that area more than adequately...also squats will hit this area hard. Maybe just do some back hypers or something instead of the full dead movement if you want more target work. As usual do what you prefer...I'll just say what I think and let you use/discard it as you wish.

Relentless
08-06-2002, 11:29 AM
Misc/Notes:

Well. It certainly was a good weekend. :) Normally a crew of us head out to Sauble Beach every August long weekend for a weekend of athletics, beverages and beachin' it. However, due to various vacations, trips, commitments, and the fact that the cottage we usually use was not available, we didn't go out there.

What we did do was a mini-cottage weekend at my place. Given that I live north enough of Toronto that it 'feels' like cottage country, I'm 300 feet from a beach, have a pool and lots of crash space, my place was designated a sort of 'alternate semi-cottage entertainment zone'.

A dozen or so of us got together and had a great time Sunday, spending time in the pool and on the beach during the day, and consuming heroic amounts of alcohol, tobacco and goodness through the night.

A highlight of the day was a game we played in the pool that was essentially a no-holds-barred aquatic wrestling match, with the added colour of occasionally attempting to get the beach ball we were using to go underneath a deck chair at either end that we were using as 'nets'.

The teams were fairly even, though my team was outnumbered by one for most of the match. My personal favourite goal of the game is a tossup... either:
1) my pal Dan managed a hook shot from the equivalent to the deep end's 3-point line that made it in and under the chair (a very difficult shot)...
or
2) a shallow-end goal I made where I simply bull-rushed the goal, crowded my way through 3 defenders and jammed the ball in with pure guts. ;)

Regardless, I came away from the event with arms looking like ElPietro describes his after Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu. Nice purple welts all over...

CHEST AND TRICEPS

BB Bench: 15x135, 4x225, 5x225
* Much better. Feeling stable again, may go to a spotter here to help progress.

Incline DB Press: 3x90s, 3x90s, 13x50s
* 90s feel heavy but not too heavy; we'll see if I can up the reps here after a week or three, if not i may have to back off a bit.

Dips: BW+35x4+1, BW+25x5, BWx8
* eh, not bad

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 12/10x50, 5/4x70, 13/13x40
*getting better here again... dog tired at the end of it.

Narrow Grip Bench: 2x205
*just died. I will attribute it to the tiredness from the weekend... decided to cash it in here as the triceps were twitching and weak by this point.

Pec Flyes: skipped

Relentless
08-07-2002, 11:57 AM
LEG DAY

Leg Ext: 13x355 then 8/8x275(1-legged) and 6/5x275 (1-legged)
* Eh, OK. Slightly better than last week on the first set, lagged on the second. Nice clean reps with MVC at the top..

Leg Curls: 15x165, 6x240, 6x240
*Really focusing on ROM and a static hold/MVC at the top of the motion here as well. Nice reps, really felt it in the hammies.

Leg Press: 12x450, 8x630, 1.5x830(new PR), 1x720, 5x720
* A new PR lift. Got to get this lift moving or Savannah will catch up to me. ;) I woulda had two at 830 no problem but on the second rep my exhalation through tightly compressed lips made an odd sound and I lost my strength to a chuckle... dropped the weight back onto the pins and unloaded the 10s and 1 45 from each side. the 1 rep at 720 was pushing it back up onto the proper slots and off the pins... damn it's hard to get 720 moving without the bounce/inertia at the bottom of the rep...

Good mornings: 7x135, 7x135
*Not going to push heavy here without spotters; just did 'em over a squat rack. Felt OK. Still very much getting comfortable with this exercise.

ATF Squats: 6x135, 7x135
* Just some light reps while waiting for the calf press machine . . . really felt the tug in my hip adductors; I wouldnt want to do ATF squats too heavy but as a stretch/warming motion I think they're aces.

Seated Lever Calf Raises: 10x135, 5x180, 4x205
* started to get twitchy at rep 4 on the third set, so I cashed in at that point... good strong ROM and contraction at peak on these.

Alex.V
08-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Nice leg pressing. It really does make it twice as hard to push up the weight from the stops, huh? lol. Almost embarassing how much effort you need to go through to press something so far off your max. ;)

Now, are your leg curls one legged or two legged? Because, looking at them now, if they're two legged, it looks like your quads are MUCH stronger than your hamstrings.

Relentless
08-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Nice leg pressing. It really does make it twice as hard to push up the weight from the stops, huh? lol. Almost embarassing how much effort you need to go through to press something so far off your max. ;)

Now, are your leg curls one legged or two legged? Because, looking at them now, if they're two legged, it looks like your quads are MUCH stronger than your hamstrings.

Well, with the difficulty coming off the stops, i think that this is due to the elasticity of muscle giving you a little edge at the bottom of a motion. If you squat with a smooth motion, changing direction without pausing at the bottom, it helps you lift, I think. Hm. Maybe that'd be an interesting thing to try for squats or bench -- set the pins of a safety rack at just-parallel level on squats and/or just at chest level on bench and then do each rep with a brief pause with the weight on the pins... betcha this would be really hard.

My leg curls are on a seated leg curl machine (Polaris?), and per our previous discussions elseboard, all 'machine' weights are suspect. I do do them 2-legged and yes my quads are a lot stronger than my hams. I want to push my quads a bit father along to reach some lifting goals for the fall and then I will be slacking off on quads to focus more on hams. I understand there is a biomechanical risk with having too-strong quads vs hams, and plan to address this soon.

I think it's mostly genetics though; I've always had very strong quads.

Alex.V
08-07-2002, 12:19 PM
No, absolutely. No stretch reflex.... I can struggle getting 315 up from a dead stop (set below parallel). It's brutal without that spring... harder than pause squats for some reason, even though those technically minimize the stretch reflex. 'tis good stuff.

Right, I realized the machine difference was suspect, but two limb movements typically exceed the respective single leg movement, so a ~110 curl and 275 extension seemed relatively imbalanced, even for different machines. Though you obviously realize where your strengths are, and plan on addressing this. Just curious. :)

Relentless
08-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 15x135, 6x185, 5x185
* up slightly, with 5 clean reps on the 2nd set. It's weird, the push is quite slow through the middle of the motion, but I find I can just gut it out if I concentrate. The hard part is keeping my shoulders in a normal position; I think I have a reflex to arch my back so i can recruit pecs into this; keeping back straight is key here.

Arnold Press: 4+1x75s, 6+1x70s, 14x40s
* WooHOO! another new PR! 75s went up quite easily for the first couple reps but I slowed a bit on the 4th and then couldn't get much past half on the +1 rep... I was stoked about it though!!

Lateral Raises:7+1x30, 6+1x30, 13x17.5
* up nicely from last week, and felt hella strong on the reps. I'll bump this to 35s if I can get a clean set of 8 or 9 next week.

BB Shrugs: 6x315, 3x365, 10x275, 7x275
* Ahhh, much better... the set of 3 at 365 was very challenging and made me slightly nauseous, always the sign of a good, heavy lift. repping the light sets at 275 is much better than 225... it was too easy at the lighter weight and I think 15 reps is wayyy too much. 7-10 is better.

Reverse Flyes: 10x105, 8x135, 4x150
*Aha. I have been doing these wrong. Adjusted my position and my shoulders stopped hurting when I did 'em and my strength went waaay up. Cool!

Overall, an outstanding workout. I feel I have more energy in the gym actually, since I went off my e/C stack and upped my daily kcal by 800-1000. I started retaining a bunch of water when I went off e/c, then it went away, and now I'm filling out again a bit but it feels pretty hard. I am quite excited to see what my gains look like on a bulking diet.

Relentless
08-12-2002, 06:51 PM
uhhhhrk

no updates for workouts because there haven't BEEN any. Played football and got well sunburned on Saturday, then Sunday and today I was wiped out by some kind of throat infection combined with an allergy/pollen attack and a mild case of the flu

Being really sick is kind of like being really drunk, but much less fun. Ah well.

I'm back up to 80 or 85% of nominal and should be back tomorrow with gunz blazing.

rookiebldr
08-12-2002, 10:27 PM

Being really sick is kind of like being really drunk, but much less fun. Ah well.

ummm, I don't think so. ;) I can usually get over being really drunk in 12 hours. Being sick and I'm out for 2 days. Get better soon, afterall, you need to deadlift for two. :)

MonStar
08-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Jeez Callahan you have some very very impressive shoulder strength. BTN press and Arnold press strength is nuts. Keep up the hard work man, seriously. :):)

Relentless
08-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Back/Biceps Day ... one day after being bedridden and sickly...

Deadlifts: 15x135, 10x225, 4x315, 1x385, Failx385
* I don't know what possessed me to try 385 today. I still wasn't feeling 100% but I kinda figured, "What the hell" and went for it. I woulda had the second single as well, but my left hand started to give... it was a grip issue 100% IMHO. I definitely have the strength to pull 385 and more in my legs and back. I dunno if I wanna go for straps tho; anyway, new Personal best yet again. This one's for you, ElPietro! :)

Wide Grip Chins: 5+1xBW, 4+1xBW, 8xBW-80,
* Not doing an extra set of deads at 225 saved me some energy for this; must work on getting reps up tho so i can start adding weight :(

Yates Row: 5x180, 6x180
* Much more comfortable with this movement now... still a bit of tingle in my outer forearms, but it's all good/

Belial Rows: skipped, starting to feel ill
* Shut up Belial.

Incline DB curls: 6/6x45, 7/6x45
* gonna stay at 45 for a while till i can get 8/9s and then move to 50s.

Dumbbell 21s Curls: also skipped... truncated workout due to running out of juice . . . I guess being sick DID affect me a bit.. :)

Overall I was pretty happy with the workout, even though it was a bit lighter than I'd have liked. Hopefully I'll be back up to 100% tomorrow...

ElPietro
08-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Deadlifts: 15x135, 10x225, 4x315, 1x385, Failx385
* I don't know what possessed me to try 385 today. I still wasn't feeling 100% but I kinda figured, "What the hell" and went for it. I woulda had the second single as well, but my left hand started to give... it was a grip issue 100% IMHO. I definitely have the strength to pull 385 and more in my legs and back. I dunno if I wanna go for straps tho; anyway, new Personal best yet again. This one's for you, ElPietro! :)

385 and you went for a second pull! Great work! :thumbup: So far I haven't found grip to be a factor at all with my lifts...I don't actually think about it at all when I'm doing it.

Man I better start rehabbing this leg pretty damned soon our you'll shoot pass me in no time!

Relentless
08-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the props, dude.

I don't know what's up with the grip . . . I got the weight off the floor on the second pull, I was in the process of dragging it past my knees when my left hand started to elongate . . . the grip just started to open up and I had to put it down before I dropped it. Weird.

Anyway, I now have zero fear about making my 405 deadlift goal. However, 405 squats are still seem pretty scary and although I put 830 up on the leg press, I dunno how fast I'll get to 1000 there; that one may be a bit beyond reach. Still, ya never know.

Relentless
08-14-2002, 12:01 PM
no training today

I think I shall change my training schedule... instead of a 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off plan, I think I will simply try to lift every second day. I don't mind going in on the weekends, and given how I'm trying to push heavy everywhere, I feel like the recovery time will do me lots of good.

ElPietro
08-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Lemme know when and if you come in on a weekend. If you want we can hit up my gym and you can check it out. Although, I will probably be lifting frou-frou girly style until this leg gets better...since I can only work upper body for at least a couple weeks I may just do a mini HST mentality type of regime, focus on a bit of size gains, and keep the weights manageable.

Relentless
08-14-2002, 02:17 PM
OK . . . On the weekends, barring football-gym combo Saturdays, I will most likely be working out in Barrie. I can't see driving 100km just to lift on a Sunday tho . . .

I'll keep ya posted, amigo

ElPietro
08-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Ah yes, nevermind I guess...forgot you have a gym by your place as well.

Relentless
08-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Notes/General: Only 4.5 hours sleep last night *yawn*. I'd like to say it was because I was doing something cool. But no. I decided to join some mates for an evening of geeking. That's right; I played AD&D. *gasp* I am such a nerd. Ah well. At least I'm a STRONG nerd.

CHEST AND TRICEPS

BB Bench: 12x135, 6x225, 6+1x225
* The confidence gained from a spotter makes all the difference in the world. Ahhhhh.

Incline DB Press: 5x90s, 4+1x90s, 13x50s
* THAT'S RIGHT, Biatch! from 3 to 5 reps with the new weight in just one week.

Dips: BW+25x5+1, BWx7, BWx7
* eh, not bad. I really gotta get a belt thingie to hang weights from me.

1-H Tricep Pushdown: 12/12x50, 6/5x70, 14/14x40
*forward progress. Damn my tris got pumped from this.

Narrow Grip Bench: nope, not today

Pec Flyes: 7x210, 7x210, 8x150
* Nice finish to the workout.

Relentless
08-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Leg Day

Got thru Leg XT and Leg Curls and then my hammy started spasming on a set of 275lb warmup squats. Bloody hell.

Anyway, I pulled out of the gym rather than aggravate it further. I'm icing it now and hopefully things will settle down. Maybe I just slept badly last night or something . . .

Relentless
08-19-2002, 07:14 AM
Put together a new selection of tracks for my MP3 player/workout music last night. Listened to it on the way in this morning, as my new car stereo has a jack where you can plugin an MP3 player or other external audio device. (The sole upside of getting my car broken into was that I was able to upgrade my stereo...)

I will have to make some changes, as some songs weren't what I was hoping for. Some observations:

1. Pennywise rocks pretty hard. I especially enjoyed their cover of "Land Down Under". For some reason I thought they were a different kind of band. But no. I like punk stuff for getting jazzed.

2. Iron Maiden rocks even harder. Must get more Iron Maiden.

3. I managed to download either a spoof or a weird version of Eminem's 'Without Me', which consisted of nothing but the chorus, looped. You don't notice it when you scan the first 15-20 seconds because it's all repeated in the 'real version'. But after 1 minute and a half of "This looks like a job for me, blah blah blah controversy." over and over, I was like WTF?? I guess I shouldn't complain about it though; I will fix this tonite. But damn it was

4. Pantera's cover of Black Sabbath's paranoid is fookin' amazing. I was driving to work this morning with the top down and the stereo pumped and I was doing 85mph without hardly noticing it. Hadda slow down. The kicker: The MP3 was truncated at about 2:30 through the song. I was rocking out and then *blip* nothing. I had musical blue balls. I felt like I'd been ridden hard and put away wet. In a word, I was disappointed. I will fix this tonight. Pantera rocks.

5. I used to think Tool was pretty hard/cool. But listening to some Tool tracks this morning, it just sounded whiny and lame. No more Tool.

6. Rob Zombie is good, but only in small doses. 2 tracks across 40-some on the MP3 mix is plenty of Rob.

7. Godsmack is also good but every track of theirs sounds so similar. One or two on a mix is tops for them, as well.

Cal out.

Relentless
08-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 12x135, 5x185, 4x185
* This lift seems to be stalling. I wonder why?

Arnold Press: 5+1x75s, 4+1x75s, 13x45s
* No stalling here. I am a sexy beast when it comes to Arnold Pressing.

Lateral Raises:6x35, 5+1x30, 12x20
* I appear to have found my proper working weight. You should see the way cuts and the beginning of striations stand out on my shoulders and traps when I do these. it's cool.

BB Shrugs: 7x315, 6x315, 11x275, 9x275
* Didn't go for a heavy set this time and kept the reps strict and clean as possible. Progress on the light sets.

Reverse Flyes: 11x135, 6x150, 7x150
*This just keeps going up. I'm convinced it's simply a matter of getting used to the motion. My rear delts are definitely lagging behind my fronts, so this is an important exercise.

Overall, solid workout. I got minimal sleep last night (<5.5 hours) so I'm quite pleased with these lifts based on that amount of ZZZzzzZZZ.

BennettBoy
08-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Yo Callahan......how bout some Disturbed? That will get ya cranked up. New CD coming out soon too!

And can you explain exactly what the Arnold press is?

Thanks.

Relentless
08-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Disturbed is OK... a little too monotonously hardcore for my tastes... I did add in Down with the Sickness though.

I've been finding I really REALLY like punk-ish stuff (a/la Pennywise) for certain lifts, and old-school heavy metal for others.

An arnold press is LIKE a shoulder DB press, with a twist.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBArnoldPress.html
tuttut shame on you for not checking exrx first; this is one of the most useful sites on the entire internet (and that includes porn password sites. :) )

BennettBoy
08-19-2002, 12:22 PM
OK, I'm familiar with it......75 lbs. is jam-up for that movement. Good job.

Relentless
08-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks. I really like it because I can get that bit of extra ROM at the bottom with the rotation. I shake my head sadly at the dudes that are shoulder pressing DBs, only bringing the DBs down to about ear level or a bit above . . . sure you can lift more, but it's like squatting above parallel -- what's the point?

Actually, I just checked your journal and a lot of our lifts are quite similar. Which kinda makes sense, really... I betcha we have quite similar LBMs. I just have an additional 10-15lbs of fat sitting on top of my muscles. :)

Relentless
08-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Back/Biceps Day

Notes/General: Well, Pilate and (most of) Big Wreck played Barrie last night. It was a real treat to just walk in without paying and there is a certain ring to "oh, we're with the band...". :) Pilate rocked hard and Big Wreck impressed me. I'd never really heard anything beyond the overplayed 'hits' of theirs on the radio but I really enjoyed them live. We had a whole mess of friends there and it was a great time. The downside? We were out till after 1am, I smoked and drank way too much, and I still hadda get up @5:30am. Ouchie.

Deadlifts: skipped. Between Saturday's tweaked hammie and being dog-ass tired I wasn't about to do these today. Plus I earned a week off after putting up 385 last week.

Wide Grip Chins: 12xBW-80, 2+1xBW+25, 5+1xBW, 3+1+(4*0.5)
* I guess I won't need my dip belt here for a while... it was cool to strap on some weight and still get a couple reps tho. At the end I did partials for a bit until my arms wanted to fall off. :)

Yates Row: 7x180, 6x180, 13x135
* Bit of progress. Nice. 135 just FLEW up after 2 sets @ 180.

Belial Rows: 10/9x75, 4/4x100, 5/4x100
* This made my posterior chain sore for some reason. Ah well. The movement is still 'new' to my muscles; I give it a few weeks and then the weight of this will start shooting up.

Incline DB curls: 7/7x45, 6/6x45, 3/3x45
* Forward progress. I think the fact I could only get 3 at a 3rd set means I'm fatiguing well with 2 sets.

Dumbbell 21s Curls: 7-7-4x25s, 7-7-0x25s
*Yoiks. My biceps were so pumped I couldn't even get through these sets. Wicked.

Relentless
08-23-2002, 11:27 AM
CHEST AND TRICEPS

BB Bench: 12x135, 7+1x225, 6+1x225
* Had a good spot from a dude that was squatting 400ish next to me... cool guy, we chatted about how good spotting on bench does NOT involve lifting the entire fooking weight for the person, as we often see losers in the gym doing. You can't call it a legitimate forced rep if EVERY rep is a forced rep, IMHO. LOL!

Incline DB Press: 4x90s, 4+1x90s, 9x50s
* pushed really hard on bench and I think that hurt me here. Ah well; next week will be even BETTER I'm sure.

Dips: BW+35x4, BW+25x7, BWx9
* I was really able to focus more with the dip belt. This was WICKED!

Incline DB Flyes: 3x50
*thought I might try these instead of machine flyes. Crikey, I nearly killed myself. Good stretch in the pecs tho. I will ponder swapping machine flyes for these.

Pec Flyes: 7x210, 6x210, 11x150
* good pump at the end!

BennettBoy
08-23-2002, 11:39 AM

Incline DB Press: 4x90s, 4+1x90s, 9x50s
* pushed really hard on bench and I think that hurt me here. Ah well; next week will be even BETTER I'm sure.

Do you normally do incline DB presses with more than 90? Either way, I think 90 lbs. is pretty dang good. I think I last did 85....and 95 on flat DB presses. I want 100 on both:)

Relentless
08-23-2002, 11:48 AM
No, I just moved up to 90 the other week from 85... but I was able to get 5 reps on the first set and more reps on the light set last week. Of course last week I had a suck-ass spotter on bench who practically vertically-rowed the entire weight for me, which meant I didn't get as fatigued from the flat bench sets.

100s is my goal as well, for inc DB press. :) I shall achieve this by November 29th or die trying. :D Actually, I betcha I could get 100s for a single or maybe even a triple if I did them first. But I won't change the order of the exercises until/unless my goal is in jeopardy. 'Cause I want to get my BB bench up closer to 315 as well!

Relentless
08-27-2002, 12:01 PM
yet another leg workout derailed by a problem

this time it's my knee. Weird pain, medial side. I'm worried because it feels like a ligament problem; dunno how I managed to fook up my knee tho.

If this sticks with me and causes me ongoing problems, I'm going to be really REALLY pissed

Relentless
08-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 12x135, 6x185, 5x185
* Forward progress. :)

Arnold Press: 5x75s, 4+1x75s, 13x45s
* Hm. More BTN presses this week, but stalled here. :) Guess I can't have it both ways. :)

Lateral Raises:6x35, 4+1x35, 14x20
* 35 is heavier than it seems... my wrists and elbows were a little sore after this one. AH well.

DB Shrugs: 10x100s, 10x100s, 6x100s, 15x60s
* Went lighter because of my gimpy knee (ACL). Didn't want to try the heavy BB stuff. Better ROM with DBs though; felt good.

Reverse Flyes: 12x135, 6+1x150, 11x105
* I really feel this in my middle delts, which are thrashed at this point. I really have to focus on my rear delts and PULLING the weight back... it's hard but cool.

Relentless
08-29-2002, 07:17 AM
Well it's official. I have injured my right ACL.

Which sucks.

The up side is that it's most likely a strain/sprain/etc, not a tear. Or if it's a tear, it's minor. Which means it should heal up fairly quickly. I'm not getting an MRI done or anything...

The down side is that I can't do legs until it heals, or it won't heal. Hopefully this won't set me back too much.

BennettBoy
08-29-2002, 07:23 AM
Sorry to hear that Callahan. Hope it heals soon. Be thankful you already have HUGE legs LOL!

Relentless
08-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Baha. Huge.

Nah, they are just proportional, with some decent mass. I am convinced that my fairly high level of leg strength is mostly genetics. Well that, and the controlled-hypertrophy experiment I participated in back in college. :D That's not a joke, BTW. I helped prove through biochem analysis that muscular hypertrophy improved muscular endurance as evidenced by alterations in VO2 max and muscle oxygenation during fixed-interval training. I have 12 biopsy scars on my quads to prove it. ;)

Relentless
08-29-2002, 08:23 AM
I have discovered possibly the most noble and uplifting use of shockwave plugins ever devised.

CWOOOOOAAAARRRR! BOUNCY BOUNCY!!! (http://www.fhm.com/img/reporter/bigeye/15aug/boobs.swf )

tickle her belly button with your mouse . . . .

Relentless
08-30-2002, 06:59 AM
well, I just got my pictures back from my vacation and I must say

I look better than I did last summer. I have much more mass in my upper body and arms, especially. I look BIG. I look MUSCULAR.

But I am still a BIG FAT MESS. Ok, that's exaggerating, but I am still carrying waay too much BF and it's pissing me off.

As such, I will now get a grip on my diet, and I will cut hard until I can see abs and the start of striations. 10~12% BF is probably the goal. Period. I'm not necessarily gonna go for competition form, but I am gonna get my shiznit together.

No excuses. No slacking off. I will get my BF tested ASAP and construct a more strictly controlled diet where I won't necessarily obsess over every single calorie, but I will have a meal plan and a vision for what I want to eat going into each week.

Being big and strong is no longer enough. I will be big, strong and hard, dammit!

Relentless
08-30-2002, 12:12 PM
Back and Bis

Widegrip Chins: 12xBW-80, 6+1xBW, 5+1xBW
* Must force myself to progress here. +1 rep across the board is a start.

Yates Rows: 8x180, 4+1x205, 6x180
* Definitely progress here. Feeling wicked strong.

Belial Rows: 10/10x75, 6/5x100, 5/5x100
* Fook its hard doing this as a 3rd exercise. Posterior chain felt better this week. Must focus on form.

BTN Pulldowns: 25x105, 25x105
* Had to rest a bit to get the final 5 on set 2. Before anyone gives me **** about volume training, i will offer you a preemptive "SHH!" and if that doesn't work, just STFU. :D

Incline DB Curls: 6/6x40s, 5/5x40s, 8/8x30s, 7/7x30s
* After the volume set of pulldowns, this was quite enough biceps work for me. I was wicked pumped. Gotta watch it tho; don't want to worsen the stretchmarks on my bis. :)

Misc: only 5.5 hrs sleep. Diet excellent. Back on creatine, and C/E stack for next 3 months. Will start posting diet once I have it constructed.

Relentless
09-01-2002, 04:15 PM
CHEST AND TRICEPS

Notes/general: Only 4 hours of sleep last night. It definitely f'd up my lifts. Ah well.

BB Bench: 15x135, 6+1x225, 5x225
* no real progression; tired

Incline DB Press: 4x85s, 6x75s, 9x60s
* Good pump after the 60s; didn't even try 90s after my lack of performance on the BB bench.

Dips: BW+35x4, BW+25x6, BWx1
* Not bad

Incline DB Flyes: 4x45, 6x35, 7x35
*I have no idea how long it will take me to get these up to a respectable weight. Maybe doing them sooner would help. Oh well, not a priority. :)

1-H Revrse Tri Pressdown: 14/14x50, 4/4x70, 10/10x50
*Nice work; went immediate without rest to 2-h rope tri pressdown.

2-h triceps pushdown w/ rope attachment: 8x40, 9x30, 14x20
*No rest between sets; just did a massive dropset to totally toast my tris. It worked.

Relentless
09-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 12x135, 9x185, 6+1x185
* BREAKTHROUGH. I came into the gym pumped and just laid it out for this one. Excellent. If I can maintain this next week, it's time to up it to 195.

Arnold Press: 5+1x75s, 4x75s, 13x45s
* I guess I wore myself out on BTNs. :) Ah well.

Lateral Raises:7+1x35, 6+1x35, 13x20
* Egggsellent!

BB Shrugs: 8x315, 8x315, 10x275, 14x225
* My rhomboids and traps had forgotten how heavy BB shrugs can be. This'll learn 'em.

Reverse Flyes: 10x135, 6x165, 14x105
* Felt really good today on these; not as much strain on middle delts which may mean that the creatine is kicking in or simply that the rear delts are properly responding after several weeks of training. Either way, made progress, which is just super.

Misc/notes: I'm noticing vascularity starting to emerge in my shoulders, which is awesome. Of course, after this workout I am barely able to lift my arms above my head. But ya win some, ya lose some. ;)

Relentless
09-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Back and Bis

Widegrip Chins: 12xBW-80, 9xBW, 6xBW
* Wow. Got focused, got pumped, and cranked out way more reps. Lets see if I can maintain next week. ;)

Yates Rows: 7x180, 6x205, 7x180
* Had trouble catching my breath on this one for some reason and it f'd up my 'light' reps. Weird.

Belial Rows: 12/12x75, 7/7x100, 7/7x100
* It's all about focus. Good progression.

Incline DB Curls: 5/5x45s, 8/8x40s, 12/12x35s, 8/8x25s
* By the time I got down to 25s, my biceps were just PUMPED. Good feeling.

BTN Pulldowns: 20x120, 16x120
* Good working weight for volume finisher. 105 was too light but this was juuust right. Must push to 25s on this weight then up it.

rookiebldr
09-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Being big and strong is no longer enough. I will be big, strong and hard, dammit!

Good luck getting ripped. Just don't loose all that strength in the process. Well done on the Militaries and Arnolds.

Relentless
09-06-2002, 06:55 AM
Thanks mate.

Yeah, I was posing in the mirror a bit last night and I noticed my front delts are really achieving some good results. I'm getting good vascularity across the muscle (though BF is still a bit too high for the veins to sit atop the muscle like distended gummi-worms) and a nice, high peak. When I do a back double-bi, they look like cantaloupes.

My eventual goal will be to hoist 225 over my head for BTN presses on a regular basis, and then work up to 100s for the arnold press. Of course by that time I will be benching 315 and incline pressing with a barbell because I've outgrown my gym's DBs. :)

MonStar
09-06-2002, 06:57 AM
Belial Rows: 12/12x75, 7/7x100, 7/7x100
* It's all about focus. Good progression.

Nice progression C! Keep up the hard work man, lifts are all looking good as usual. Any strength / size goals for 2003?

BennettBoy
09-06-2002, 07:11 AM

Misc/notes: I'm noticing vascularity starting to emerge in my shoulders, which is awesome. Of course, after this workout I am barely able to lift my arms above my head. But ya win some, ya lose some. ;)

Cal, that's great! Once I started noticing veins popping up in my shoulders its like it just started spreading on into my chest a tad:D

Hell, if I keep on I might catch up with gino LOL. I'm getting alot more vascular and as a result folks seem to think I'm getting so much bigger....but the scales sure don't say it. Yet, folks tell me I'm getting huge. LOL, OK whatever....a mere 186 maybe:cool:

Relentless
09-06-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Nice progression C! Keep up the hard work man, lifts are all looking good as usual. Any strength / size goals for 2003?

Nothing new decided for 2003 yet; gotta see how I do in reaching my lifting goals for the end of this year; then I'll re-evaluate and set new ones. I think changing goals all the time is a good way to get frustrated.

Basically, I had thought that I'd like to see the following strength goals happen (progress in parentheses)

Squat: 405x1 (365x3) - been working on getting deep here rather than simply grinding for strength. I also had recent hamstring and ACL issues which led to a couple weeks without leg lifts. I expect this will shoot up again once I can focus on it properly. I want 405x1 to be a competition-legal squat, nice and solid, rather than a herky-jerky semi-squat. :)

Deadlift: 405x1 (385x1.5) - this lift has been a dream for me. Intense, yeah, but progressing well and feeling good. 405x1 is not going to be a problem for the end of the year.

Bench: 315x1 (1x235) - this has really been lagging. Partly because I don't think I've pushed hard enough, which in turn has been partly due to lack of spottage and a slight paranoia about dropping the weight on myself. My pecs have always been a weak point and I never thought a year ago that 225 would be something I was repping with. If I can get close to 315 I'll be happy, but I don't think this one is gonna make it, to be honest.

Leg Press: 1000x1 (860x1) - it's hard to progress on both squats and leg press; really I think this will come down to gutting it out. I can probably get 1000 for 1 right now if I really REALLY push it, but I don't want to risk injury. Overall I will be cutting back on quad work and focusing on hams in the coming year, as my hams need to get a lot stronger to catch up with my quads.

Incline DB Press: 100sx1 (4+1x90s) - This is just a macho thing. I wanna press the biggest dumbbells in my gym. :) I could probably send them up for 1 right now if I started with them instead of doing flat bench first. No rush though; lots of time to do this.

Size-wise, I dunno. I am already pretty damn big and getting bigger. I'm not particularly focused on hypertrophy right now though I may try that in 2003.

Relentless
09-06-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by BennettBoy

Cal, that's great! Once I started noticing veins popping up in my shoulders its like it just started spreading on into my chest a tad:D

Hell, if I keep on I might catch up with gino LOL. I'm getting alot more vascular and as a result folks seem to think I'm getting so much bigger....but the scales sure don't say it. Yet, folks tell me I'm getting huge. LOL, OK whatever....a mere 186 maybe:cool:

To be honest I hadn't really noticed it that much until my massage therapist mentioned it while she was working on me last weekend. She says it's a lot easier to get a response from me than from any of her other clients because my muscles are so vascular and trained regularly.

If you want to catch up with Gino, why don't you try a cycle of gear?

BennettBoy
09-06-2002, 07:26 AM

If you want to catch up with Gino, why don't you try a cycle of gear?

LOL, nah...and I don't think gino has used gear in over a year or so if I remember correctly.

rookiebldr
09-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks mate.

Yeah, I was posing in the mirror a bit last night and I noticed my front delts are really achieving some good results. I'm getting good vascularity across the muscle (though BF is still a bit too high for the veins to sit atop the muscle like distended gummi-worms) and a nice, high peak. When I do a back double-bi, they look like cantaloupes.

My eventual goal will be to hoist 225 over my head for BTN presses on a regular basis, and then work up to 100s for the arnold press. Of course by that time I will be benching 315 and incline pressing with a barbell because I've outgrown my gym's DBs. :)

hmmm,

callahan => arnold presses => large, hard, vascular cantaloupes
rookiebldr => no arnold presses => small, soft, smooth tomatoes

* files away for future reference * ;)

I suspect I need at least another 2-3 % drop to start to see the gummi worms on shoulder to chest tie-in appear.

Relentless
09-09-2002, 11:17 AM
CHEST AND TRICEPS

Notes/general: Crap sleep last night (allergies). Hot as fook in the gym today (30+ degrees). Pressed for time (work).

Incline DB Press: 16x45s, 6+1x90s, 4+1x90s
* skipped flat bb bench because all the benches were occupied.

Dips: BWx9, BWx8, BWx8
* forgot my dip belt. weird; ran outta steam at about the same point in each set. I wonder if pushing for higher reps on this exercise before adding weight might not be a bad idea...

1-H Revrse Tri Pressdown: 13/13x50, 7/6x70, 12/12x50
*Nice work

Flye Machine: 8x210, 6x225, 13x150
*good sets.

I came away from the workout today with something I haven't felt since my golden years of lifting, 1990-91. The full-on almost-sexual PUMP. Maybe its all in my head because I've been watching Pumping Iron over and over again lately and listening to Arnold talk about how getting a pump is "like coming for him". LOL! But seriously; by the end of the workout today, my pecs and tris were swollen with blood and feeling very VERY pumped.

And it wasn't just the little girly pump you get from doing a high volume at a light weight. It was the thick, massive pump from regular lifting. Damn, I hope I can hit this feeling on other days moving forward. There really is nothing like it (except perhaps for a shorn scrotum). It's breathtaking, I assure you.

ectx
09-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Cal, looks like your leg work hasn't suffered much from the ACL injury. Has it given you any pain at all? Are you favoring 1 leg over the other? When my old injuries act up I find I'm favoring my healthy leg more. Any ways, looking great. Glad to see your injury didn't hold you back. I just recently discovered your journal. I especially dig the detailed weekend football games.:thumbup: Haven't done one of those in forever. Maybe I will once it cools off a little down here. Nothing like a good old game of mud-football. :D

Relentless
09-10-2002, 07:08 AM
I haven't actually done legs since the ACL problem. ;) I plan to have my first day back on legs tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

i've done some running and stuff in the last week, no pain. I take this to mean the knee is doing alright.

With any luck, I'll also be able to play football this week as well! The last few weekends have been all about work, travel, and other responsibilities.

Relentless
09-13-2002, 07:00 AM
Forgot to update Wedesday.

First day back in the gym for legs after a hamstring/ACL-inspired layoff.

Just did squats:
15x135
10x225
6x315
4x315

Felt good during, but didn't want to push too hard. Overall was happy with form and got a bit below parallel on reps.

Downside: Layoff on legs left muscles well healed.
Holy flaming weasel testes, did I ever get DOMS!
Upside: Legs are back; will add in a more comprehensive workout for legs next week.

Relentless
09-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Shoulders and Traps

Seated BTN Military Press: 15x135, 6x195(!), 6+1x185
* Hell yeah.

Arnold Press: 5+1x75s, 8x60s, 13x45s
* going to try half pyramids here for a while. Heavy sets first though

Lateral Raises:8x35, 7+1x35, 13x20
* Again forward progress. Excellent. Will move to 40s soon if this keeps up.

BB Shrugs: 9x315, 8x315, 11x275, 15x225
* Hm. Grip was the issue here. I may go to straps.

Reverse Flyes: 12x135, 7x165, 15x105
* Grrr baby.

Relentless
09-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Back and Bis; in Barrie (not Toronto)

Deadlifts: 15x135, 10x225, 6x315, 2x365
* Deads are back, baby. 'Nuff said. I may change this up a bit and only do deads every 2nd week, to allow adequate recovery. I'm beginning to think that my body needs more time to recover after these and that's why I was stalling/backsliding before. . . .

Widegrip Chins: 7xBW, 7xBW, 11xBW-80
* A bit fatigued again doing these after deads. Felt good and strong through the reps tho.

Yates Rows: 6x135, 6x135, 5x160
* Different gym, different equipment, this was harder for some reason. Ah well. The chick doing SLDLs RIGHT in front of me was also not helping. Fooking cougars, they never tire of shaking their stuff in front of hot young dudes, I tellya. :)

Belial Rows: 10/10x75, 2/2x120, 7/7x100, 7/7x100
* 120 was too heavy. Must try with 110 next time

Incline DB Curls: 7/7x45s, 8/8x40s, 10/8x35s, 11/11x25s
* Good lifting

Relentless
09-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Misc notes today:
Surprisingly little DOMS so far from deads. I take this as another good sign. I guess it didn't hurt that I had a massage Saturday as well (from an RMT)... helped keep blood flowing and avoid muscle cramps, etc.

Relentless
09-17-2002, 12:25 PM
CHEST AND TRICEPS

Notes/general: What a totally ass workout. I don't know what it was but after having a wicked pump on last week, this week was bleah. Felt somewhat weak too

BB Press: 15x135, 6+1x225, 5+1x225
* eh. OK. not great. No real progression.

Incline DB Press: 3+1x90s, 3+1x80s, 7x70s, 9x60s
* did a bunch of lighter reps because my lifts on the heavies were total ass. I don't know why.

Dips: BWx9, BWx9, BWx7
* decent reps. Wicked pump in my tris.

Flye Machine: 8x210, 8x165, 11x135
* eh. OK.

overall not too impressive a workout and I was pressed for time to boot.

Relentless
09-20-2002, 01:31 PM
LEGS

Notes/general: Some total ass tried to steal something from the locker room, got chased into the main staircase, and got pepper-sprayed by the security guard. I had my Mp3 player going so i didn't hear the receptionoid's shouted calls not to enter the stairwell and as a result I got a nice snootfull of pepper spray. Coughed and sneezed all thru workout. Bleah.

Squats: 15x135, 10x225, 4x315, 3x315, 8x225
* eh. OK. not great. Still getting back into the leg workout thing.

Leg Press: 15x450, 10x630, 6x720
* yoiks, really worked to get the reps at 720. May be a week or three before I attempt 810 again.

Leg Curls: 15x165, 7x225, 7x225
* Felt good on these

Leg Extension: 9x335, 8x335
* wow doing these at the end, i had hardly any gogo juice left

Franjipani
09-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Some total ass tried to steal something from the locker room, got chased into the main staircase, and got pepper-sprayed by the security guard. I had my Mp3 player going so i didn't hear the receptionoid's shouted calls not to enter the stairwell and as a result I got a nice snootfull of pepper spray. Coughed and sneezed all thru workout. Bleah.

Whooa, never heard of gym security guards before... is that common????

Anyway, hope you recovered from your pepper spray incident;) .

MonStar
09-21-2002, 06:25 AM
BB Press: 15x135, 6+1x225, 5+1x225

Incline DB Press: 3+1x90s, 3+1x80s, 7x70s, 9x60s

Strength is looking damn good C, keep up the hard work man. Do you have any goals set for 2003, in either strength or size?

Reinier
09-21-2002, 06:40 AM
i have this friend who is kinda into violence (well.... violence with reason) and everybody in that family keeps a pepper spray by their bed and takes a martial art etc. i think they got some guns too (which is a big deal in holland)

Relentless
09-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Arg. No football today; on a positive note, my friends in Pilate just scored a gig at the Kee to Bala (a famous concert hall in cottage country north of Toronto) opening for THE MATTHEW GOOD BAND!!!

The sweet part is that the show is like sold out with $36 tix, but that don't bother me none because I'm on the guest list. Oh yeah. :)

rookiebldr
09-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Arg. No football today; on a positive note, my friends in Pilate just scored a gig at the Kee to Bala (a famous concert hall in cottage country north of Toronto) opening for THE MATTHEW GOOD BAND!!!

Small world here in Ontario, I have relatives in Bala. :)

Relentless
09-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Shoulders and Traps

Arnold Press: 15x45s, 5+1x75s, 4+1x75s
* ok, did not to 1/2 pyramids... should have though; not getting quite enough reps

Seated BTN Military Press: 5x185, 6+1x185, 14x135
* eh

Lateral Raises:8x35, 7x35, 11x22.5
* found 35s harder than last time. will stick here a bit. don't want to sacrifice form

BB Shrugs: 12x315, 13x315, 6x365, 9x225
* Hell yeah! I just pulled on the 315 and it came up; straps made a huge difference. I refuse to use straps for deads tho...

Reverse Flyes: skipped
* pressed for time

Relentless
09-23-2002, 02:07 PM
oh, and P.S....

the show in Bala was extra-rockin', I had a wicked weekend getting a lot of personal stuff sorted out that I've been putting off for a while and I weighed in at 212 this morning, the lightest I've been in at least 5 years. Not too shabby.

Relentless
09-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Back and Bis

Widegrip Chins: 12xBW-80, 7xBW, 6+1xBW
* hard to progress this; I can't figger why...

Seated ISO Rows (low): 10x180, 6+1x270, 4x320, 13x180
* change of pace from Belials/Yates Rows. Not too shabby; a lot stronger on this than I was the last time I did it.

BTN Pulldowns: 9x180, 3x225, 20x120
* neat; felt stronger on this than I was when I did it before; 180 went up way easy.

False Grip Narrow Pulldowns: 19x120, 13x120
* Nice to polish off the lats... wicked burn

Seated DB curls: 7/7x40s, 7/7x40s, 10/10x30s, 17/17x20s
* excellent

overall a good workout, considering my sleeping habits have been total ass lately.

Relentless
09-27-2002, 07:29 AM
uuuugh.... 4 hours' sleep last night after staying out late to see my friends' band (www.pilate.com) play in Toronto

I think I will have to start guarding my sleep time more jealously. I think I've averaged MAYBE 4.5 hours sleep a night over the last week. I'm really starting to drag my ass. We'll see how the workout goes today.

MonStar
09-27-2002, 08:52 AM
Seated BTN Military Press: 5x185, 6+1x185, 14x135

Nice strength here C, I just started doing these again. I got 175 for a double I believe. Something like that. I am going to try and get my strength up. I love these for delts. How long have you been doing them? Have you noticed a difference in your delts?

Relentless
09-27-2002, 10:11 AM
I do BTN Mil Press AND Arnolds for delts, and I've been doing them both since forever so it'd be hard to say if one or the other was especially good

but I have decent size in my delts and a nice high, arching peak to my front delt. Looks good in a back-double-bi, especially. :)

Relentless
09-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Chest and Tris

**NOTES** Chest strength has been decreasing lately. I can't explain it, other than to guess that my lack of sleep is limiting me. Must Sleep so I can GROW!

BB Bench: 15x135, 8x185, 4x225, 9x185
* ugh

Inc Db press: 2+1x90s, 6x80s, 8x70s, 7x60s
* heavy shiat was bad; lighter stuff was OK.

DIPS: 8xBW, 7xBW, 6xBW
* ugh

Machine Flyes: 5x210, 6+1x210, 9+1x165, 11+1x135
*A single bright spot in the workout

ElPietro
09-27-2002, 12:34 PM
So one might assume, that since you were underperforming on all compound chest movements, yet had good results performing a chest isolation exercise afterwards, that it is either your triceps or, more likely to be the case, your shoulders that may be causing this drop in poundage.

Relentless
09-27-2002, 12:38 PM
could be, could be... don't know why that would suddenly be an issue NOW after essentially the same kind of workout for several months... I'm in the process of revamping anyway so i'm not that worried about it

you make a good point though

I guess tris could be exhausted from shoulder day or something eh? hm... SHoulder day WAS Wednesday. Maybe I need to restructure things a bit...

Relentless
09-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Legs

Ah what a difference a few good nights' sleep can make!

Squats: 15x135, 10x185, 5x315, 2x315
* getting back to pre-injury form

Seated Lever Calf Press: 15x135, 7x180, 7x180
* Some minor calf cramping on the heavier sets. No big deal tho.

Leg Press: 15x450, 7x720, 5x720
* Feeling much better on this, much stronger and confident. I will try 720s for another week and then kick back up to 810 if I can hack it.

Leg Extensions: 12x335, 9x335
*whew, quads were dead by this point

Leg Curls: 20x150, 6+1x225, 5+1x225, 9+1x150
*good finish, only slight twinges in hammies when stretching between sets...

Relentless
10-01-2002, 07:57 AM
new workout mix for mp3 player! it's amazing how new songs can motivate!

Moby - Landing.mp3
ACDC - TNT.mp3
ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.mp3
311 - Down.mp3
Anthrax & Public Enemy - Bring The Noise (Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2).mp3
bad brains - kick out the jams.mp3
Black Sabbath - Iron Man.mp3
Black Sabbath - Paranoid.mp3
black sabbath - war pigs.mp3
Breaking Benjamin - Polyamorous.mp3
Chevelle - The Red.mp3
Disturbed - Down With The Sickness.mp3
disturbed - Prayer.mp3
Drowning Pool - Bodies.mp3
Fatboy Slim - Going Out Of My Head.mp3
Guns and Roses - Welcome to the Jungle.mp3
Hatebreed - I Will Be Heard.mp3
Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So.mp3
Iron Maiden - Electric Eye (Judas Priest Cover).mp3
Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man.mp3
Iron Maiden- The_Trooper.mp3
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze.mp3
Kid Rock - American Bad Ass.mp3
Korn - Adidas.mp3
Korn - Blind.mp3
Korn - Freak On A Leash.mp3
Limp Bizkit - nookie.mp3
Limp Bizkit - Rollin'.mp3
lunachicks - Hellraisers Moto XXX 2 Soundtrack.mp3
Metallica - Enter Sandman.mp3
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod.mp3
Moby - Landing.mp3
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart.mp3
Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole.mp3
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit.mp3
Orbital - Technologicque park.mp3
Pantera - Mission Impossible Theme .MP3
Pantera - Paranoid (Black Sabbath Cover).mp3
pantera - power metal.mp3
Pennywise - **** Authority.mp3
Pennywise - I Come From A Land Down Under.mp3
Prodigy - Diesel Power.mp3
Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up.mp3
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust.mp3
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of.mp3
Rammstein-Feuer frei.mp3
Redman - Smash Sumthin'.mp3
Rob Zombie - Dragula.mp3
Rob(White)Zombie - Superbeast.mp3
Saliva - Click Click Boom.mp3
Saliva - Click Click Boom.mp3
Soil - Breaking Me Down.mp3
STP - Sex Type Thing.mp3
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary(5).mp3
Theme - Mortal Combat (Techno Remix).mp3
White Zombie - Thunder Kiss '65.mp3
wwf forceable entry - 01 - drowning pool - the game (triple h theme).mp3
xxx soundtrack-pastor troy ft. ms. jade-are we cuttin'.mp3

Relentless
10-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Deads/Shoulders

Lets see how this combo works out . . .

Deads: 15x135, 10x225, 6x315, 1.5x405!!!, 3x315
* I am so happy. My secret shame is that I used straps on the 405. I will only be using straps on my heaviest lifts tho, so once I'm pulling 450+ and using 405 for my 6-rep set, it will be with no straps, dammit.

Arnold Press: 12x45s, 5+1x75s, 4+1x75s, 11x45s
* Still in awe of myself after the deads.

Lateral Raises: 7x35s, 7x35s, 8x25s, 11x17.5s
* People were looking at my delts as I did this. Not pointing and laughing like in all the nightmares, but watching and looking impressed.

REverse Flyes: 12x135, 7x165, 11x120
*completely spent by this point. Intense workout.

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Straps!?! You pansy...go delete your thread in general chat! Gods do not use straps on deads! :swear: tuttut

Next time don't use em...you will still pull the weight!

*kicks journal*

*nostrils flare*

*stomps off*

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 02:08 PM
;)

Relentless
10-03-2002, 12:44 PM
25 mins cardio today;

in the process of fleshing out a diet plan based on some very good advice from a helpful person from these very BBoards. Time being at a premium, I won't be on the diet 'full on' till sometime this weekend, but once I have a chance to shop, I will be tracking and reporting exactly what I'm eating along with calories and macro breakdown.

Get ready to say hello to my abs!!

Relentless
10-04-2002, 12:15 PM
back/Bis

Suprisingly, the DOMS from the deadlifts has almost totally faded. Which is wicked cool!

WG Chins: 12xBW-80, 7xBW, 8xBW
* A bit better I guess

ISO ROW seated Rows: 8x270, 5x320, 7x270, 12x230
* Not too shabby... great ROM and focus.

False Grip Pulldowns: 12x150, 7x180, 4x210, 10x150, 16x120
* I really like this; can feel it in the lats something fierce, especially when they're prefatigued

Incline DB curls: 3/3x50s, 8/8x40s, 9/9x40s, 11/10x30s, 17/16x20s, 11/10x10s
*OK, i went for a pump. And I LIKED IT, dammit. :) My Bis damn near felt like they were gonna pop. Which was cool.

Relentless
10-06-2002, 01:57 PM
well, here's a typical day in the new diet that has been constructed; I'm in process for creating a table of substitutions for myself that will allow me to swap out certain components as desired.

All numbers are Fat(g) Carb(g) Protein(g) and Cals
Meal 1
1 whole egg 7 1 7 101
6 egg whites 0 2 21 99
1/2 cup oatmeal 4 41 8 230

Meal 2
2 slices Ezekiel Bread 1 28 8 160
4 oz white skinless turkey 4 0 33 175

Preworkout
1 scoop Elite MegaMass 1.5 30 17 200

Postworkout
2 scoop Elite MegaMass 3 60 34 400
5g creatine

Meal 3
4oz lean roast beef 10 0 32 224
green salad 0 3 2 18

Meal 4
1 pear 1 25 1 98

Meal 5
6oz yam 0 75 4 316
Steamed Collard Greens 1 19 8 99
8oz broiled Salmon 17 1 54 389

Meal 6
1 oz almonds (180 cals) 14 6 6 164
1 Tbsp flaxseed oil 14 0 0 120

TOTALS 77.5 291 235 2793

MonStar
10-06-2002, 01:59 PM
ISO ROW seated Rows: 8x270, 5x320, 7x270, 12x230

Hey C, what are iso rows? Just wondering - do you have a picture or anything like that posted?

Relentless
10-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by MonStar

Hey C, what are iso rows? Just wondering - do you have a picture or anything like that posted?

http://www.hammerstrength.com/prodimages/hs_isol_lowrow.jpg

weight posted is the sum across both sides... I sometimes will do 1-arm at a time, but lately have been pulling both...

MonStar
10-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Oh okay C, I thought that it was the same apparatus that chris mason and I use. Its a supported horizontal rowing apparatus. I was about to say 270 lbs. on the one I use is friggin' good as hell!

Relentless
10-06-2002, 04:00 PM
I had been using a supported t-bar row thingy, with 225-250lbs on it, but got sick of it and wanted a change...

Relentless
10-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Chest and Tris

Eh. Not the best workout. Dunno why.

BB Bench: 15x135, 6x225, 4x225

Inc Db press: 6x85s, 4+1x85s, 13x45s

DIPS: 8xBW, 9xBW, 8xBW-50, 12xBW-80

Machine Flyes: 4x210, 7+1x210, 9+1x165, 12+1x135

Relentless
10-08-2002, 11:47 AM
25 mins cardio today; went OK.

Diet the last few days has been about 80% of target; I literally have not had time to shop to get additional items.

Feeling tighter/leaner already though with the revisions to diet.

Thanksgiving trip this weekend will probably limit me a BIT on sticking to the diet, but I don't have any problem refusing food, so i should be all right.

Relentless
10-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Leg Day.

Leg Press: 15x450, 10x630, 5x810, 20x360, 20x360
*Nice. Got back up to 810 for reps and then burned out with long sets at 360.

Leg Curl: 15x165, 9x225, 7+1x225

Leg Extension: 12x355, 9+1x355
*Quads were feeling pretty toasty by this point.

Seated Lever Calf Press: 15x135, 9x180, 7+1x180

ATF Squats: 15x135, 6x225, 7x225
* nice way to end the workout. My quads were QUIVERING by the end...

Diet was 90%+ today. Still gotta go shopping for a couple more items; I anticipate that next week we'll get it to 100%. Eating an egg, 6 whites and a half cup of oatmeal in the mornings is a helluva way to start your day, I tellya. :D

Relentless
10-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Cardio today; it went ok...

after cardio I just felt like doing some biceps work... dunno why. Anyway, I was a real curl-jockey and busted out with some incline DB curls before picking up an EZcurl bar and ripping out some killer sets.

Important personal best: My two heavy sets with the EZcurl bar were with 2x45s on the bar, which translates into 125lbs for the movement. I've always wanted to be able to curl the big plates, and now I can. :D After a warmup set curling 95lbs, I did two sets of the 125, getting 7 and 4.5 reps respectively and I followed them up immediately with 'mini-dropset' addons of as many curls at 75lbs as I could manage after the set at 125. I got 7-8 reps each time with the light follow-on sets.

By the way, my form was bloody brilliant. No sway, no cheating, just muscle and will. To quote one observer, "Holy **** man, those were the strictest curls I've ever seen. You didn't even BUDGE except for your arms."

Heh.

I figure maybe I'll toss in som surprise Biceps work every so often to help them catch up a bit to my tris. I think my tris have been overwhelming my arms a bit and I want to get a bit more balance.

Cal out.

Jane
10-10-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm curious as to why you didn't start leg day with squats. I'm impressed that you would muster the courage to do squats as the last exercise in a leg day. :thumbup:

Relentless
10-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi Jane. Welcome to my joinal. :D

Generally, I like Leg Press almost as much as I like squats and based on my experience I find that trying to go really heavy and push to new personal bests in both exercises in the same week is kinda counterproductive. Don't get me wrong, I'm into intense lifting, but I generally feel that I should have a main focus lift for each week going into it.

So, my new strategy is to alternate Heavy Leg Press with Heavy Squats on a week-by-week basis... this week I pushed back up to 810 on the leg press (it had dropped way down after hammy and ACL injuries in the summer) and went light on the squats (225 for some ATFs). Next week I will probably only throw 720 on the leg press but push for some 315+lbs on the squats. I still like including both movements because of the different feels and the different synergists involved.

All that said, normally I would prefer to do squats earlier in the workout but

a) some dolt was doing bicep curls in the power rack earlier in the day
b) It was only 225lbs... I don't even get vaguely worried about squatting that weight anymore... :D

Relentless
10-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Turkey Day weekend (at the in-laws)

Diet through the weekend was about 80%, despite 'vacation' mode and various temptations. Figured out that egg whites are easier had in a milk carton thing than by separating them from yolks manually.

Did deads and shoulders on Saturday and got complimented by some big guy that was a staff member... he caught me pulling 405 (Again! It wasn't a fluke!!) and we chatted a bit about how people that only do chest and bis are pathetic losers.

Back to the grind tomorrow . . .

ElPietro
10-14-2002, 06:44 PM
we chatted a bit about how people that only do chest and bis are pathetic losers.

STFU! There is nothing wrong with this at all! :(

Relentless
10-16-2002, 03:39 PM
back and bis

False Grip Pulldowns: 15x120, 7+1x210, 4x240, 8x210
*Nice.

Seated ISO Rows: 12x180, 7x270, 7+1x270+5x180

WG Chins: 4xBW, 9+1xBW-80, 8+1xBW-80

EZ Curl Bicep Curls: 6x115, 5x115, 14x75

DB Curls: 3/3x45s, 6/6x40s, 9/6x35s, 8/8x30s, 12/11x25s
* Oich. Biceps were well swollen by this point. Good workout.

other:
Sleep: Crap; maybe 5 hours. Don't ask.

Eat: 85%. Still some outstanding shopping to take care of. Didn't have time to eat eggs at home so I had the chef downstairs make me an eggwhite omelet when I got to work. Having someone else make your brekkie = choice!

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 06:53 AM
Just wondering what a "false" grip is? :confused:

Relentless
10-17-2002, 10:21 AM
false grip = supinated rather than pronated
i.e. underhand grip

For the false grip pulldowns, I'm taking a shoulder-width palm-up grip on the bar and pulling down to my chest. Kinda like a 'normal' chinup. i find can get a much better target of my lats with this angle; maybe it's just me but it feels like I can isolate them better. at any rate, today my lats feel like there's two lines of fire along the outside of my scapulae...

I kinda shocked myself pulling 240. That was pretty cool.

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Ah, ok, I understand supinated, I understand underhand, just never heard it referred to as "false" grip before.

Right now I do pulldowns with a neutral, close grip. I find it's the easiest to keep my upperbody perfectly perpendicular. Although, I usually change grips every 4 or 5 workouts.

You used to do chins first didn't you? Or were they just warmup? Just wondering as you have now bumped them down in your workout. I would figure this movement would be preferable to do first in your routine.

Oh and man that's a lot of volume on the bis. I haven't been keeping up with people's journals lately, just wondering what made you go to his volume level? Also, what are you finding as results so far? Or has it been to short a time? Just curious.

Relentless
10-17-2002, 01:26 PM
I wasn't progressing on chins so to shake things up, I've bumped them back. I'll go heavy on pulldowns for a month or two and then see how my chins respond when they're primetime

i feel that my bis are lagging and also possibly hindering me in back a bit so I've just decided to bomb them a bit because I don't think they're working hard enough. Call it 'instinctual training adjustment'. :D

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Ah cool, lemme know how things workout for you on chins by switching the order up. And also on the guns. From what I recall your arms were pretty strong already. What you are doing now, I would think would be more advantageous for size rather than strength, but if it helps you out then maybe it's what you need.

It's always fun to experiment in any case. Good luck with it. Pretty soon we need to have another bench and dead-off. :D Was a good workout!

Relentless
10-17-2002, 01:58 PM
well, given that we've got that thing in early november (the weekend of the 2nd?) maybe that'd be a good venue??

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Oops...my bad, it is cancelled until further notice. Perhaps around the new year.

Relentless
10-18-2002, 12:14 PM
chest and tris

Incline DB Bench: 15x45s, 5+1x90s, 6+1x80s, 9+1x60s, 10x60s
*Nice.

Dips: 10xBW, 8xBW, 9xBW-50, 10xBW-50
* I think I'm going too low on these... this may explain my lack of progression

Bench: 10x125, 5x175, 2x215
* Was just thrashed in the triceps by this point

Flyes: 12x150, 7x210, 6x180, 15x120
* the set at 180 gave me great confidence that I had totally exhausted my pecs. Nice workout

Tricep pushdown: A bunch of sets
* The pulley machine went to "170lbs" but that was light to me. Moved over to the lat pulldown machine and found that much harder... 90lbs was a good working weight there. Anyway, finished off the workout with a massive triceps pump.