PDA

View Full Version : Bulking need ideas

Munky
11-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey guys i need some ideas for a good quick calorie rich food for my 15 minute break at work. I work construction so i generally don't have any time to cook anything at break time. Any good ideas would be appreciated!

cphafner
11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
shakes

bass slayer
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
yeah protein shakes work exellent. get some powder and put it in a shaker and then bring a bottle of water with you, add the appropriate amount of water to the powder and your good to go.

liftstuff
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
bring a jar of peanut butter and some bread... or make some peanut butter sandwiches before work

T FLEX
11-14-2008, 06:07 PM
:withstupi:

Jar of PB and a spoon, PB sandwiches, handful of trailmix/nuts, premixed whey with milk in a reusable bottle...

tom183
11-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Almonds.

OXplode
11-15-2008, 05:36 AM
I guess you also want to keep your carbs up as you work in construction so premade brown pasta with tuna and light mayo should fill the spot.

Brad08
11-15-2008, 07:21 AM
I guess you also want to keep your carbs up as you work in construction so premade brown pasta with tuna and light mayo should fill the spot.

GTFO with that "tuna and light mayo" BS. He's a construction worker tyring to gain weight, not a fitness model trying to keep a six pack.

Peanut Butter is awesome but has anyone been able to scarf down a large amount in a short amount of time?? Takes me forever to chow down on PB toast b/c that **** is CHEWY.

I second "shakes." You can make a ridiculous high-calorie shake and guzzle it down in seconds. Throw in some weight gain powder, protein powder, and milk and you're set. Or make your own without the powders but it'll probably wind up costing you more if you use whole foods.

Kiff
11-15-2008, 09:35 AM
i wolf down a tuna sandwich and 50-100g of plain nuts in my break mine is 20mins but manage alright, if not then shakes for the win mate :)

rbtrout
11-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Peanut Butter is awesome but has anyone been able to scarf down a large amount in a short amount of time?? Takes me forever to chow down on PB toast b/c that **** is CHEWY.

I second "shakes." You can make a ridiculous high-calorie shake and guzzle it down in seconds. Throw in some weight gain powder, protein powder, and milk and you're set.

PB sandwiches are good, but chewy and dry. The quickest, easiest thing would be a shake with weight gainer in it. Don't follow the suggestions on the weight can can though, or you'll more than likely need a spoon to eat the stuff. I usually mixed 2 scoops of protein powder with 2 scoops of weight gainer in 16 oz or so of water. It's an instant 700-800 cals with lots o' protein.

jrp859
11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with everyone above, shakes and pb. quickest things you can eat to get the calories you need

RhodeHouse
11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Shakes are great, but I'm starving 20 minutes later. Any kind of sandwich. Make 3-4 the night before.

Ham and Cheese
Tuna
PB
Turkey

and follow it with a shake. If you need extra calories, put a cup of heavy cream in the shake. This can cause some trouble with your butthole, so ease into it. Easy calories. And, if you're working construction, you'll burn off the calories in no time. Plus, the fat will keep you from getting hungry as quickly.

Another favorite weight gain tip is drinking a gallon of Gatorade everyday. For you, I would buy the power and make sure you get the whole thing down during work.

guile
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Peanut Butter Sandwiches are awesome!

OXplode
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
GTFO with that "tuna and light mayo" BS. He's a construction worker tyring to gain weight, not a fitness model trying to keep a six pack.

I second "shakes." You can make a ridiculous high-calorie shake and guzzle it down in seconds. Throw in some weight gain powder, protein powder, and milk and you're set. Or make your own without the powders but it'll probably wind up costing you more if you use whole foods.

if he was a model I would have said no mayo, and he wouldn't be asking a question regarding his diet now would he! Also i said brown pasta because it provides better complex carbohydrates so he doesn't get hungry so quickly, unlike having a PB sandwich. It is also quick to cook. 1 big batch in a bowl can be kept in the fridge a whole week.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2008, 02:07 PM
wow you're obviously a sheep by suggesting the already mentioned PB sandwiches and shakes, and wtf! if he was a model I would have said no mayo, and he wouldn't be asking a question regarding his diet now would he! Also i said brown pasta because it provides better complex carbohydrates so he doesn't get hungry so quickly, unlike having a PB sandwich. It is also quick to cook. 1 big batch in a bowl can be kept in the fridge a whole week.

Brown pasta isn't a good suggestion either. First, it's whole wheat. Second, whole wheat pasta is not "manly". Thirdly, I haven't seen many refrigerators on construction sites. Not being a construction worker, I may be wrong, but I know I'm not.

KarstenDD
11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
A mondo shake and a ten minute lip. It worked mcwonders the last time I worked in a factory.

Reko
11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
A mondo shake and a ten minute lip. It worked mcwonders the last time I worked in a factory.

LMAO

OXplode
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Brown pasta isn't a good suggestion either. First, it's whole wheat. Second, whole wheat pasta is not "manly". Thirdly, I haven't seen many refrigerators on construction sites. Not being a construction worker, I may be wrong, but I know I'm not.

"First, it's whole wheat"- please explain why that is bad...A quick search in google will show the benefits. 2nd"whole wheat pasta is not "manly""- your a weight lifter training with a load of other sweaty men, if you can do that then your metro enough to eat brown pasta.3rd - "Thirdly, I haven't seen many refrigerators on construction sites" they are usually in the caravan, where they keep the milk for their tea and coffee.

RichMcGuire
11-23-2008, 04:41 PM
For bulking, an advantage of white rice or pasta is that its digested much quicker so you will get hungry again sooner. Of course, health benefits are a different story.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2008, 04:57 PM
"First, it's whole wheat"- please explain why that is bad...A quick search in google will show the benefits. 2nd"whole wheat pasta is not "manly""- your a weight lifter training with a load of other sweaty men, if you can do that then your metro enough to eat brown pasta.3rd - "Thirdly, I haven't seen many refrigerators on construction sites" they are usually in the caravan, where they keep the milk for their tea and coffee.

The MYTH between whole wheat v. regular pasta is just that, a myth. And, Rich made a great point about quicker digesting so you can get hungrier faster, so you can eat more.

If you really think whole wheat v. white flour makes a difference, you're terribly misguided. Now, if you're a PRO bodybuilder, yeah, it COULD make a difference. These are the little things that really don't matter in 99% of your diets. Don't sweat the small stuff.

As for the rest of your rant, I don't understand small. Sorry.

OXplode
11-24-2008, 10:05 AM
oh yeah despite the pasta being refined and processed it still contains the same health benefits as brown pasta, that make absolute sense so yes I now believe it is a myth. Also the insulin spike caused by simple carbs, thus making you gain fat, is that a myth as well?(only on a regular basis mind you, and changes from person to person) To interpret this another way you can eat a 400 calorie piece of cake with 200 calories from carbohydrates and 200 calories from fat oor you could eat A can of tuna, some almonds and some oat cookies, to give you 200 calories form carbs and 200 cals from fat. So by going by your logic you would eat the cake because you will get hungry quicker.

12u$$eLL-
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
In the summer I worked for a garage door company so I had somewhat of a similar job and I know by the time it was break I was starving.. If this is the case for you, make yourself a tuna sandwich and get a protein shake to have as well.. Tuna gets annoying to eat at times so switch off with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich..

hellagrant
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
yeah protein shakes work exellent. get some powder and put it in a shaker and then bring a bottle of water with you, add the appropriate amount of water to the powder and your good to go.

Why not whole milk? Since they original poster is bulking, I think whole milk would be a better idea than milk. 3c of whole milk should add about 500 calories.

Ben Moore
11-24-2008, 11:11 AM

What parallel universe do you live in where construction workers drink hot tea?

Unreal
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
oh yeah despite the pasta being refined and processed it still contains the same health benefits as brown pasta, that make absolute sense so yes I now believe it is a myth. Also the insulin spike caused by simple carbs, thus making you gain fat, is that a myth as well?(only on a regular basis mind you, and changes from person to person) To interpret this another way you can eat a 400 calorie piece of cake with 200 calories from carbohydrates and 200 calories from fat oor you could eat A can of tuna, some almonds and some oat cookies, to give you 200 calories form carbs and 200 cals from fat. So by going by your logic you would eat the cake because you will get hungry quicker.

Piece of cake or tuna and oats with the same macros, I will take the cake because it taste better.

Big Jay
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM

forget the bread... 1 tub, 1 spoon and alot of milk to drink

Dkalban
11-24-2008, 01:58 PM

I believe that would be the UK.

And I cant understand why someone would want milk in their tea. Just a couple of ice cubes and a small bit of sugar and my tea is ready to go.

Reko
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
forget the bread... 1 tub, 1 spoon and alot of milk to drink
Mmmm PB.... mmmmm Milk!!!

And I cant understand why someone would want milk in their tea. Just a couple of ice cubes and a small bit of sugar and my tea is ready to go.

Sweet iced tea ftw!

Dkalban
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Mmmm PB.... mmmmm Milk!!!

Sweet iced tea ftw!

Its more lukewarm then anything, I just cant stand scorching hot tea.

J.C.
11-26-2008, 07:08 AM

How bizarre. Do construction workers outside the UK not drink hot tea or coffee? What about in cold climates? Seems like a strange comment to make...

OXplode
11-26-2008, 07:28 AM

ENGLAND!!!111ONEONE!!!1
lol over here builders always drink tea

OXplode
11-26-2008, 07:31 AM

woh im gonna have to try that now