PDA

View Full Version : Bulking for the winter....

jrp859
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Here are my starting pics.... Tell me what you think. And yes i know my lat pic is horrible hahaha. Im right around 6' and 175-80lbs. Biceps are flexed around 14.75". Ive always lifted low weight/high reps for motocross, but now im out of that so Id like to get big. Oh and im in my sisters room, i do not have a orange and pink room! hahah. Ive never bulked before all i know it consists of heavy weight and lots of good clean foods! right now I am doing 3 sets of 12-10-8, increasing as i go. Should I try 5x5's? Looking just to put on mass then cut near march or so. And I know my chest laggs alot, not to sure why.... Thanks Everyone

snikez
11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Well your chest does lag a little bit but it will get get more muscle as you do chest exercises. I think it's better to be doing like 4-8 reps if you want to get bigger but I'm not sure.

jrp859
11-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Well your chest does lag a little bit but it will get get more muscle as you do chest exercises. I think it's better to be doing like 4-8 reps if you want to get bigger but I'm not sure.

Yea, ive always worked my chest but not to sure why its still not there all the way, hopefully soon it will start looking more normal. And i knew low reps high weight would build mass but I just wanted to make sure. Ive herd a bunch of different things from people haha

Torrok
11-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Yea, ive always worked my chest but not to sure why its still not there all the way, hopefully soon it will start looking more normal. And i knew low reps high weight would build mass but I just wanted to make sure. Ive herd a bunch of different things from people haha

that will help. and really, anything can build mass. you just have to provide a correct stimulus and consume more calories than you burn in a day. keep the eating clean, stick to lean meats, whole grains, fruits, veggies. id suggest drinking a bunch of skim milk while on a bulk. its basically just a pure protein drink. whats the routine you're doing?

bass slayer
11-14-2008, 07:06 PM
that will help. and really, anything can build mass. you just have to provide a correct stimulus and consume more calories than you burn in a day. keep the eating clean, stick to lean meats, whole grains, fruits, veggies.
id suggest drinking a bunch of skim milk while on a bulk

wait why skim milk????? ive been drinking a liter of whole milk in one setting. does skim milk have more protein? i hope not because i hate skim milk

jrp859
11-14-2008, 08:34 PM
My routine consists of
Mondays - Chest/Tri's
Tuesday- Back/Shoulders
Wednesday- Light Cardio
Thursday- Legs/Bi's
Friday- Traps/Ab's(train those 2-3x a week).
Saturday/Sunday off.

For chest I am doing flat bench, flies, incline, pushups, Cable punches.
Tris- laying and standing skullcrushers, dips, rope pushdowns, reverse grip pushdowns.
Back - Sitting rows, bent over rows, dead lifts, lat pulldown
Shoulders- I dont know allt he names of them, but like front/side raises, upright rows, shoulder press.
Legs - Leg extensions, Leg Curls, No squats(dont have like a rack to put the bar on so idk how to do them). Lunges, calve raises
Biceps - Standing preacher curls and sitting curls. Single db curls, hammer curls.
Traps- Shoulder Shrugs lol
Abs- Everything imagineable

jrp859
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh and i have a strict diet. All meats, veggies, whole grains, 2 glasses a milk a day, 2gallons + of water, and taking superpump250 and SizeOn(gaspari nutrition = <3 ) hahah

T FLEX
11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
...wait why skim milk????? ive been drinking a liter of whole milk in one setting. does skim milk have more protein? i hope not because i hate skim milk

It all has the same amount of protein the rest just have higher fat content. So really if one is on a bulk you really want to drink something other than skim. I would suggest at least 2%. You're going to get the most calories that way.

jrp859
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
It all has the same amount of protein the rest just have higher fat content. So really if one is on a bulk you really want to drink something other than skim. I would suggest at least 2%. You're going to get the most calories that way.

Thats what we have at our house, thats what my mom buys atleast.
My diet for today was....

2whole eggs, 3/4 cup of whites. 2 pieces of wholgrain bread
Bannana
2 pieces of chicken fillets(its not all natural chicken like i like, but thats all i had) 1cup of steamed greenbeans, 1/2 cup of brown wholegrain rice
Turkey with some mustard
1 Can of tuna with a piece of wholegrain bread
1 natty pb sandwhich
and some granola for my cheat for the week.

Also had a sevring of SizeOn and 2gallons of water. (today was my day off from lifting)

How does that look? Normally Ill eat that minus the pb sandwhich and the granola.

ZenMonkey
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
OP: I would really suggest a simple 5x5 routine like Rippetoe's and stuffing your face with milk and tuna. Squat heavy and squat often.

jrp859
11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Thats what I was thinking, but can you explain 5x5's? I know its 5 sets, 5 reps. but do you just keep increasing weight up each set, or vice versa? Thanks alot!

jrp859
11-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Thats what I was thinking, but can you explain 5x5's? I know its 5 sets, 5 reps. but do you just keep increasing weight up each set, or vice versa? Thanks alot!

ttt anyone give me some more details on 5x5's?
Im getting ready to go workout here in the next hour or so, and would love to start doing this! Thanks!

paul0101
11-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I am doing 3 sets of 12-10-8

I would do 4 sets, if you're doing 3 with 12 and 10 reps it cant really be your best. Do 6-8 reps 4 sets, eat good and get lots of protein :) . I'm forever bulking and works great for me. Have put on 40kg's of bulk in the last 4 years.

ELmx479
11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I was into racing mx for years myself. I just ride for fun now. I wanted to stay at 180-185 while racing and didn't lift heavy for years. I want to gain mass and strength now and found this site, did some research and started Rippetoe's 3 weeks ago while eating around 4000 calories a day. I feel really good already going on my 4th week.

What I do...

day 1
squat 3 X 5
OH Press/Bench press 3 X 5 *alternate each workout
Weighted Chin Ups 3 X 5-8
Weighted Dips 3 X 5-8

day 2
Squat 3 X 5
Deadlift 1 X 5 / Powerclean 5 X 3 * alternate each week
abs 3 sets

day 3
Squat 3 X 5
Weighted Pull Ups wide, overhand grip 3 X 5-8
Weighted Dips 3 X 5-8

Patz
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats what we have at our house, thats what my mom buys atleast.
My diet for today was....

2whole eggs, 3/4 cup of whites. 2 pieces of wholgrain bread
Bannana
2 pieces of chicken fillets(its not all natural chicken like i like, but thats all i had) 1cup of steamed greenbeans, 1/2 cup of brown wholegrain rice
Turkey with some mustard
1 Can of tuna with a piece of wholegrain bread
1 natty pb sandwhich
and some granola for my cheat for the week.

Also had a sevring of SizeOn and 2gallons of water. (today was my day off from lifting)

How does that look? Normally Ill eat that minus the pb sandwhich and the granola.

I didn't punch that food in for specifics (and I don't know what size servince you had on everything, obviously), but at-a-glance and based on my generally accurate knowledge of calories-per-serving, it looks like you've got less than 1200 calories there.

That's a bulk? And you have a "cheat" on a bulk?

That's not even enough calories for you to CUT properly.

jrp859
11-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Sweet you guys, thanks for all the advice! I just got done working out. I did back and shoulders. I did 4 sets each, 10-8-6-4. Not to sure if thats TOO much or not, but it felt sooo good! I got so pumped up, it was awsome! I ran out of weight on my dead lifts haha. I could only do like 270lbs =[ and that was 7x. Need more plates at my house haha
While i was lifting i was sipping on my SizeOn then when i got done i finished it and had a tuna sandwhich on whole grain bread. In 2hrs or so I will have some chicken and some veggie or brown rice. When I am bulking, i am trying to do it clean so should I avoid pb sandwhiches right before bed? Like have mainly my carbs earlier? Or will that affect my mass? Thanks A Lot. Will post progress pics every few weeks before I lift.

jrp859
11-15-2008, 04:37 PM
I didn't punch that food in for specifics (and I don't know what size servince you had on everything, obviously), but at-a-glance and based on my generally accurate knowledge of calories-per-serving, it looks like you've got less than 1200 calories there.

That's a bulk? And you have a "cheat" on a bulk?

That's not even enough calories for you to CUT properly.

Man i was full and stuffed after all of that food lol. Like i have TONS of bad food around my house but only a limited supply of good food =/ Like I have microwaveable chicken, packed with bad trans/polys fat. The tuna i eat have almost 400cals or more in each can. Just dont know all what I can eat.... =/

Patz
11-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Man i was full and stuffed after all of that food lol. Like i have TONS of bad food around my house but only a limited supply of good food =/ Like I have microwaveable chicken, packed with bad trans/polys fat. The tuna i eat have almost 400cals or more in each can. Just dont know all what I can eat.... =/

Well..the stuff you listed isn't enough for a bulk. You're lucky if you're not losing weight. Don't expect your strength to go up much.

You must be eating HUGE cans of tuna, because a standard can is only like..90 calories in a serving, and less than 200 for the whole thing.

You really gotta track your intake for real..down to the serving, and see where you are. Take a couple days and load up on carbs and such to kick your metabolism back in, and make a good eating plan while you're doing that.

jrp859
11-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Well..the stuff you listed isn't enough for a bulk. You're lucky if you're not losing weight. Don't expect your strength to go up much.

You must be eating HUGE cans of tuna, because a standard can is only like..90 calories in a serving, and less than 200 for the whole thing.

You really gotta track your intake for real..down to the serving, and see where you are. Take a couple days and load up on carbs and such to kick your metabolism back in, and make a good eating plan while you're doing that.

Alright thanks. I will. Tomorrow i know my mom is making stuffed shells with sauce n cheese cuz we are having company, so should i go to work on that stuff or what? haha. Taking tomorrow off from lifting, getting back in on Monday. I will track exactly and what my calorie intake is on monday and let you know.

Painzer
11-15-2008, 11:56 PM
What Mrelwood said...

You're not eating nearly enough man... and if you're eating 400 calories worth of tuna in one sitting... Damn... you're a bigger man than I am. That's a TON of tuna... that's right around 2 full cans which is like 75 grams of protein...

Other than that man, eat anything with a face. If you are looking to really bulk up, you need the calories.

Here's my diet for a day (something like this)

Low fat granola 1.5 servings 375 cals
Banana nut crisp 1.5 serv 330 cals
1% milk 4 cups 440 cals
Protein shake 2 cups of milk one scoop protein 337 cals
Bean sausage and potato soup 550 cals
Instant oatmeal 3 servings 420 cals
Cookie dough Ice cream 3 servings 450 cals
Albacore Tuna 2.5 servings 175 cals
Whey protein w/ cranberry juice 450 cals
banana 60 cals

In total that's 3587 calories, 83 g of fat, 505 g of carbs, and 209 grams of protein.

My diet varies. Some days it's cleaner than others, most days more meat. But it's always high in calories at least 3000 a day. Starting next Monday I'll be bumping it to 3800-4000 a day. I'll be keeping a journal of my workouts and my diet...

jrp859
11-16-2008, 08:50 AM
thanks Painzer! So far today I woke up around 9:30 had 2 glasses of milk, 2 pieces of whole grain toast with 3tsp of natty on one piece, and plain on the other. 2 whole eggs and 6 whites.... Milk = 220 cals Toast = 200 PB = 220 Eggs = 250 so around 900 cals right there.

Painzer
11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I try to get in 1000 calories for breakfast... makes the rest of the day much easier. If I only get in 400-500 calories for breakfast the rest of the day is rough.

Pastas and meats are your friend if you wanna put on weight.

And instead of eating one serving of everything, double your serving size. I usually have 3 cups of milk with breakfast, that's 330 calories right there, and 24g of protein.

jrp859
11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I try to get in 1000 calories for breakfast... makes the rest of the day much easier. If I only get in 400-500 calories for breakfast the rest of the day is rough.

Pastas and meats are your friend if you wanna put on weight.

And instead of eating one serving of everything, double your serving size. I usually have 3 cups of milk with breakfast, that's 330 calories right there, and 24g of protein.

Alright cool man. My mom is cookin up some stuffed shells with cheese and all that good stuff so ill eat a good amount of that lol. Here are some updated pics after the first week of lifting....

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Back-AfterWeek1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Back2-Afterweek1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Back3-AfterWeek1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Back4-AfterWeek1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Front1-AfterWeek1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Front2-AfterWeek1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/MostMuscular-Afterweek1.jpg

Painzer
11-16-2008, 01:00 PM
What are your major lifts at right now? and how old are you?

jrp859
11-16-2008, 01:30 PM
i just turned 18.

Well like idk my max on anything... Never maxed out before. I deadlifted 270 7 times, no more weight to add on the bar lol. I can bench 190 x 6. Really dont have alot stats since I just started

Painzer
11-16-2008, 01:37 PM
ok. Well it looks to me like you've got a pretty good muscle base and a pretty decent physique to start with. Take a look at Westside for Skinny Bastards.. they have some pretty good training routines. I don't have a link right now cus I'm not on my computer, but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find it.

jrp859
11-16-2008, 07:43 PM
ok. Well it looks to me like you've got a pretty good muscle base and a pretty decent physique to start with. Take a look at Westside for Skinny Bastards.. they have some pretty good training routines. I don't have a link right now cus I'm not on my computer, but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find it.

Alright cool man, thanks a lot for your help! I feel huge on how much I ate today haha. But with that westside program, i can only do a few of those. Like I cant do decline bench, and some other ones. Dont have the ability to at my hosue. Down the road I hope to buy some new equipment that I can do that, but as of now, i can't =/

bigger89
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah buddy, you structure is a little like mine and I am lagging in the chest area... but not bad

jrp859
11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
well im still lifting heavy! Ive gained a lot of strength over the last 3 weeks(yes i know its a short time period) but i feel stronger and better! I dont think im eating enough calories to consider myself bulking though.... I try to drink 5 or so glasses of milk a day, lots of pb, turkey, tuna, veggies, chicken, etc....

Painzer
11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
well im still lifting heavy! Ive gained a lot of strength over the last 3 weeks(yes i know its a short time period) but i feel stronger and better! I dont think im eating enough calories to consider myself bulking though.... I try to drink 5 or so glasses of milk a day, lots of pb, turkey, tuna, veggies, chicken, etc....

Just keep eating man. Your stomach will stretch, and it'll be easy. I'd suggest tracking your calories... It's really easy to hit your goals if you do that.

I drink about a half a gallon of milk per day...

jrp859
11-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Just keep eating man. Your stomach will stretch, and it'll be easy. I'd suggest tracking your calories... It's really easy to hit your goals if you do that.

I drink about a half a gallon of milk per day...

lol yea. today i can't eat anymore. Like i got done lifting and new i had to eat afterwards. i almost threw up i wasn't in the mood for food. Its like for the last 2yrs i was making myself not eat a lot, and now im doing the exact opposite n shoving it down my throat haha

berfles
11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I still hate eating, but for some reason I was actually hungry before my last huge shake for the night. Some say it gets easier, it really hasn't for me. I just started ignoring the discomfort but it's still there.

Total calories today will be 6305.

jrp859
11-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I still hate eating, but for some reason I was actually hungry before my last huge shake for the night. Some say it gets easier, it really hasn't for me. I just started ignoring the discomfort but it's still there.

Total calories today will be 6305.

damn man, thats insane. Like ive been eating real clean all for the last 3 weeks but today i had a piece of apple pie and a cookie. Hate myself for doing it, but i mean im bulking so its not to bad lol.

jrp859
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Heres an updated photo from today.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Front4.jpg

Painzer
11-21-2008, 02:17 PM
damn man, thats insane. Like ive been eating real clean all for the last 3 weeks but today i had a piece of apple pie and a cookie. Hate myself for doing it, but i mean im bulking so its not to bad lol.

That's why you're not gaining weight. You are bulking, you shouldn't feel bad for eating pie and cookies. You should be eating anything that looks at you.

jrp859
11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
That's why you're not gaining weight. You are bulking, you shouldn't feel bad for eating pie and cookies. You should be eating anything that looks at you.

lol. Hard to go from "no jordan u can't eat that" to "fck yea eat it!" hahah. I only wanna eat a lot of good foods but i struggle to do that cuz i dont have that much good food but lots of bad foods.

berfles
11-21-2008, 11:05 PM

Yeah man, just eat whatever for now. I eat **** for food and I don't look bad at all for putting almost 70lbs on without a cut.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/cals-2.jpg

That's what I've eaten this week. Didn't even realize the nice steady increase :)

But I put a ton of ice cream in my shakes and just had a giant chocolate muffin tonight. Then again I don't think I could get fat if I tried.

jrp859
11-22-2008, 09:36 AM
lol see thats my problem, cuz i deffinitely can. I went from being like 5'7 and 200lbs to 6' 155. Yes i know i got a lot taller but with my diet n cardio i lost a lot also. Im up to almost 180 now. I wanna bulk to like 190 then cut down.

AJ_H
11-22-2008, 05:26 PM
wait why skim milk????? ive been drinking a liter of whole milk in one setting. does skim milk have more protein? i hope not because i hate skim milk

more calories (fat)

jrp859
11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Well ive always had fat like this on my chest, idk if its gyno or not. Im pretty strong, well decently. I usually rep 205 or so, and max around 250lbs on flat bench. Just wondering what you guys thought. Im hoping its just fat and when i cut in a few months It will go away. My lower chest lacks, upper is strong. Maybe more decline and it will go away? Thanks alot.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Chestweek4.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Fatonchest.jpg

Painzer
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't really see the "fat" you're talking about on your chest... do you mean lack of definition?

Irish Pilot
11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I dont see much fat. I see a decent build that could use some serious eating and lifting. You may not like adding some fat when you bulk, but you are gonna love how that extra mass looks when you cut down after the bulk.

Your not a stick, so dont eat everything in sight. Track your cals, and if you didnt gain weight last week. Up 'em. Keep gaining...shoot for ~2lbs a week.

Try to eat clean, but getting sufficient cals is more important. Its a numbers game after all.

jrp859
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
heres some pics... about 5 weeks in.

5 weeks in...
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/FrontChest-Week5.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/MostMuscularafterweek5.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/FrontDoubleBi.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Backafterweek5.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/BackLat-Week5-1.jpg

Im trying to enter a BB comp in the future, just going to keep training hard. The wheels r comming along also, no pics of those yet lol

jrp859
12-11-2008, 02:59 PM
A few other pics....

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/FrontBi-FullChest.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/FrontBi.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/FrontChest-Week6.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/SideTri.jpg

Yes i know they lack, i will be working hard on them...
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/WheelsandCalves.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/Wheels.jpg

Guitar90
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Looking good bro, looking very good for 5/6 weeks. You look thick. Arms seem to be lacking a little though in comparison to your shoulders, or is that just me?

T FLEX
12-11-2008, 10:05 PM
...Arms seem to be lacking a little though in comparison to your shoulders, or is that just me?

I was thinking the same thing but good progress none the less.

jrp859
12-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks you guys, and yea i know =/
As of right now im only working each muscle group once a week. My split is like.....

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday - Arms
Sunday - Off

Im thinking about adding arms in 2x a week, i think chest also, i hate my chest, i can't wait till it fills in some.

KingKongvsHulk
12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Good progress, keep it up :)

One question though, I dont understand how all you guys can keep your stomach looking 'reasonable' mines turns into a beer belly as soon as I bulk/eat too much!! this really puts me off. If I do cardio, say once a week for 10-15mins feels like im drained and cant really have that intense workout afterwards :confused:

jrp859
12-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Good progress, keep it up :)

One question though, I dont understand how all you guys can keep your stomach looking 'reasonable' mines turns into a beer belly as soon as I bulk/eat too much!! this really puts me off. If I do cardio, say once a week for 10-15mins feels like im drained and cant really have that intense workout afterwards :confused:

Thanks a lot!

To your question: What do you eat a lot of? Liek when i eat clean, my stomach will get fuller but not start to stick out lik ea beer belly. If i dont eat clean though and eat junk food, or ever drink one night, its horrible for the next few days.

dildo
12-17-2008, 05:43 PM
lol!

jrp859
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
some updated pics....

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4270.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4271.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4272.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4273.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4274.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4275.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4276.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4277.jpg

jrp859
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
And my legs.... I know they lack, I am hitting them hard now.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4278.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/100_4279.jpg

Big Jay
01-03-2009, 06:23 PM
good progress man
wat weight u up to now?

jrp859
01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
good progress man
wat weight u up to now?

goes from 190-195. pretty happy, still need tons more size though! I have 9 more months till my first comp, i want to get to 210 or so, then get down to a solid lean 185.