PDA

View Full Version : KCStrongman Challange write-up

Sean Hatley
11-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Yesterday i competed in the KCStrongman Challange. Took 4th overall. I always love to compete at this contest cause you dont know the vents till the day of, so no one can train for the specific events. You just show up as strong as possible and do the best you can. Weighed in at 228, then stepped off the scale and started eating the McD's i just picked up to get some foood in me.

First event: Max Axle
Good event for me. I opened with 220, nailed it easily. Second attempt was 250, also retty easy. Third and final attempt was at 270, clean was a little off, but not too bad. Had to fight to get stable after the press, but nailed it. Got the down comand and the good lift.

Second Event: Tire Flip Medly
Had to flip three tires three time. DOnt know that specific weights of the tires, just know that the were heavy SOB's. FLiped the first 2 no problem, got to the third one and flipped it once, couldnt get a good grip to flip it agian. Third one was akward cause you counldnt grip the bottom so you had to grip the tread outside.

Third Event: Keg Toss
Had fun on this event. Havent really seen this event in a contest other that WSM. We had 5 kegs easch weighing about 30lbs each and had to toss them over a 10ft high bar. Tossed all five over in 28 seconds. THe only time i have ever done this type of event was when i was in Cali. and training with Team Big Sac doing the idiot challange at the end of training.

Fourth Event: Max Stone Load.
I love this event last time i did it. Bassically its like last man standing, make your opener and decide if you want to pass on the next weight or not. Opened with the 230 stone, cause really openers dont mean dick, its just to get you in. Pleayed it safe rom here on out not going to big of jumps. Went to 250, easy load. Then 300, easy. Then went to 340. Lapping it was easy and the load was easier. When i loaded it on the platform i must have tweaked something in my upper back casue dam was it hurting for a while after that. When to the 368, never gone this heavy. Pulld of the floor, got it close to where I could almost roll it into my lap then my back started acting up again. Called it quits on that. If i would have got it to my lap, i would have loaded it, but oh well, not bad i think for only doing stones one time before the meet.

I am happy with my performance overall, due to the fact that i have been just training powerlifting and not strongman. i look forward to competing again in the new year.

Tom Mutaffis
11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Good job on the contest, 340 stone is solid for someone who has barely even done them!

I've always wanted to try one of those keg toss events... looks like fun.

Travis Bell
11-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Great job Sean! Glad to see you had fun

chris mason
11-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes, congrats on your showing!

BradDunn
11-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Sean,

Heck of a job, Bro! Definitely sounds like it was a fun show with a good mix of events. I'd love to see a max axle this upcoming year.
Congrat's on your overall finish. Keep up the good work and the write-ups.

Sean Hatley
11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Good job on the contest, 340 stone is solid for someone who has barely even done them!

I've always wanted to try one of those keg toss events... looks like fun.

No i have done the stones many times before. This was like my 12th contest. Just havent trained stones for almost a year cause i was training powerlifting.

Tom Mutaffis
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
No i have done the stones many times before. This was like my 12th contest. Just havent trained stones for almost a year cause i was training powerlifting.

Whoops, I misred that... well either way a 340 stone is solid for a LW!

Any future contests that you are looking at?

Sean Hatley
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Whoops, I misred that... well either way a 340 stone is solid for a LW!

Any future contests that you are looking at?

Not sure yet. Trying to get Saturdays off so that i can train events with KCStrongman again. I Miss thoughs training days. For now its just powerlifting