PDA

View Full Version : Tuna

superlog
04-03-2002, 12:17 AM
I just got a real good deal on a ****load of tuna.I can stomach the stuff, but am wondering if any of you have any way of cutting the taste down.
thanx

doyoulikepie
04-03-2002, 04:04 AM
i dont know what it does exactly, but when i was little my mates used to come out with tins of tuna and theyd soak it in vinegar ... maybe this helps the taste........maybe

syntekz
04-03-2002, 05:51 AM
I like spicy mustard with my tuna.

Leviathan
04-03-2002, 11:12 AM
Beware how much tuna you eat in a day. Limit to one or two cans at most because of the high mercury levels present in this fish.

Actually, I've cut tuna out of my diet and replaced it with chicken breast (which, btw, has more protein and calories - so it is perfect for bulking).

Relentless
04-03-2002, 01:51 PM
One of the fastest and best tuna recipes I ever made up:

1-2 cups steamed rice
1 can tuna
2 TBsp Salsa

Mix.
Nuke.
Eat.
Booya.

I got a deal on tuna once too, some big cans on sale at Costco. I got about halfway through one before I was ill at the sight of smell of tuna. Moderation is all, and I don't advise buying those bigass cans of tuna... stick with the smaller cans or share with 3-4 buds so you can get through the tuna before it goes funny in the fridge.

I don't buy the notion of mercury or other bioaccumulative toxins being present in any sort of appreciable volume in MOST canned tuna you'd buy at the supermarket in North America. Canned tuna (in Canada at least) is consistently tested and almost always meets the Health Canada standards for (lack of) mercury content. Apparently, fresh tuna, swordfish and some other 'gourmet' fish are not tested because it is supposed that most people don't eat these fancy fish often enough for it to be a risk. Just to be safe though, I wouldn't eat TOO much tuna.

I'm a big believer in diet diversity wherever possible. I forget the exact numbers quoted in Dadamo's book, but apparently most Americans eat very few different foods in a given week. ANyway, sure, eat tuna... but don't eat JUST tuna and you'll not only be safe from most possible toxic buildup, but you'll have a more interesting meal plan as well.

Callahan

ericg
04-03-2002, 02:25 PM
eat it all day long man, wont hurt you a bit

just use a fork and eat, no need to add anything

superlog
04-03-2002, 04:05 PM
I can only stomach so much O this shiot any other ideas ?This stuff is cheap, and a good fat free protien source water based.Anyone eating tuna packed in oil ?I like it better but you know.......................

Relentless
04-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Try browsing the net for Tuna recipes, dude. :)

Some other ideas to keep you until then:

- fat free whipped dressing (just a bit) to make tuna salad. Throw in some chopped celery, onions, etc. This is a no brainer. Serve on whole wheat bread or just with a side salad. Use a Dijon Mustard instead of mayo for a different, lower-fat option.

- mini tuna pizzas. Get some whole wheat pitas, slap on some tomato sauce, some tuna, grated nonfat mozzarella and brown in the oven. Fast, easy, cheap.

And here's a real recipe I found on some site, that ain't too bad:

Seamans Pie (ya, ya make jokes about seamen . . . )

Ingredients:
6 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cup frozen peas
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch halved
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 6 oz. can White Tuna

Directions:
In medium saucepan, use butter, flour and milk to make a white sauce. (Reserve cup of milk). Remove from heat. Stir in teaspoon pepper. Pour the white sauce into a 9-inch round deep casserole. Set aside. In small saucepan bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add peas and boil 2 minutes. Rinse and drain under cold running water. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut up potatoes and garlic and place in a large saucepan with water to cover and teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, reduce the heat slightly and boil gently until tender. Drain. Mash the potatoes adding butter, salt, pepper and cup of milk. Stir the tuna into the cooled white sauce. Spoon the peas over the top in an even layer. Evenly mound the mashed potatoes on top, covering the whole surface. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until the tips of the potatoes are golden brown.

Callahan

Budiak
04-03-2002, 08:50 PM
Keep eating it. If you want tuna, go ahead and eat it. I dont think the amount of murcury in tuna will hurt you even if you ate a few pounds of tuna a day. Hell, it doesnt hurt the fish, does it? I eat unbelievable amounts of tuna- to the point where I cant smell OR TASTE it anymore, and I am yet to get mercury poisoning. In fact, I had blood testing a while ago and I have the blood of a Greek god.

Anyways, just keep eating it. If you are prone to conspiracy, limit yourself. 2 cans is still over 60g of great protein. If you keep eating it long enough, you will lose your ability to taste or smell it.
After you get over the taste hump, you'll have to worry about texture.

I just mix it with half a tablespoon of light mayo, then throw it on either whole wheat or Wonder light.

Matx
04-04-2002, 12:27 PM
salt and lemon juice make it taste real good actually ;). I like my tuna in oil too.

Joey G.
04-05-2002, 12:10 PM
Here's an idea that at first might make your stomach roll over but if you can drink a protein shake you should be able to handle it. I take 1 can of tuna and 6 oz of apple juice, put it in a blender and then drink it down. It takes about 8 seconds to get the meal in you. Yes it sounds disgusting but I'm sure we all have taken shakes that didn't sit right in us. (I've been doing this for almost a year now.) Enjoy !!! Yum - Yum !!

IceRgrrl
04-05-2002, 12:39 PM
I like to mix tuna with an equal part cottage cheese, add some spices and maybe a dash of hot sauce, and eat it as is or on whole wheat toast.